REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #651
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Buddy gave me a CR Northern Harvest for Christmas. Must say it surprised me on taste as it wasn't too bad. I also picked up a bottle of Macallan Select Oak at duty free when I was coming back from Scottsdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Like I said, I am new to the game.
I will make mistakes. I think if I had whiskey stones, that would have been better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My gf got me whiskey stones. I found it did nothing. Neat or rocks is really a preference but depending on what label it will matter whether it is best neat, rocks, or drops of water. At least that's what I've been reading online.
Advertisement
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #652
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
I will make mistakes. I think if I had whiskey stones, that would have been better.

You can use ice or add water, it's entirely up to your preference. If you find the alcohol overpowering, then you really won't taste the complexity - that's why people put drops of water. If you like ice use a large cube so it'll melt slower and won't dilute your drink.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #653
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Whisky stones aren't bad but i found you'd have to use at least 4, if not all the stones that come in the set to really make a difference...mine was the square one that came with 6.

and it tends to only make the first drink cool, then next is meh and by the third one it has no effect.

Was gonna buy one of those steel balls from winners that usually come out during the holidays but i forgot. Apparently they're better than the stones.

I have a round ice mold that i bought for shiggles to see how it is and it's ok too...there will be some dilution but because it's a pretty big ball, it'd have to be sitting for quite a while to get that diluted taste.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #654
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
I personally use the King Cube Ice Tray ? Tovolo for drinks. It's a good alternative to the ice ball and the stones.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #655
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I use the ice ball myself when not enjoying neat. Still melts pretty quick. Good thing I'm not much of a sipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #656
RS Veteran

I've spoken to some people who swear by using distilled water when making ice cubes as the belief is that ice cubes made from distilled water does not melt as fast.

I haven't tried it myself and don't care enough to look into the science behind it, but it's worth a try if you like to sip.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #657
God of Unce

Neat and peat

STFU bcrdukes.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #658
Banned By Establishment

Any thoughts on Jameson Irish whiskey?

racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #659
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

It's alright..
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #660
Waxin’ Punks

Only had it with a pickle back to be honest..

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #661
RS Veteran

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jameson Irish whiskey.

It's a good whiskey to start off with, considering the price point, to whet your palate and appetite into the rabbit hole of whiskey. Some of their reserves and special editions can be very surprising and understated as well. Get a group of friends and do a whiskey tasting night. Discover your palete and go from there. There is no right or wrong - sometimes, it's just a matter of preference, education, and being open-minded.

Some other notable Irish whiskeys worth trying are Bushmills and Tullamore Dew (fun fact - both cost extensively much more in Ireland/UK than here in North America and are prestigious brands on the other side of the pond.) When you are ready and feeling adventurous, you can stray away from the mainstream and start finding more unique Irish bonded whiskies like Green and Yellow spot, both of which I very much enjoy, but worth the chase.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #662
Banned By Establishment

Whiskey/Bourbon etc

Thank you.
I like the idea of a whiskey tasting night.

racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #663
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Thank you.
I like the idea of a whiskey tasting night.

It's a great way to drink more baller whiskey at a fraction of the price too. Every time me and the boys meet up we do a whiskey and cigar night and split 2 bottles at $100 or more price point between usually 5 or 6 of us which only ends up costing like $40 each. If you end up liking it then go shell out money for a bottle later.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #664
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

Don't let people tell you how to enjoy Ur whiskey. Water ice. Neat..Try whatever u like, their is no set rule.
I prefer some with water.some with ice and some neat , depends on the whisky
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #665
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I've spoken to some people who swear by using distilled water when making ice cubes as the belief is that ice cubes made from distilled water does not melt as fast.

I haven't tried it myself and don't care enough to look into the science behind it, but it's worth a try if you like to sip.
Some distilleries actually sell distilled water that the whisky is made from, and market it as, Better alternative for mixing than tap water.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #666
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Picked up a couple bottles during the Christmas holidays, Ballentine's 21 year old blended whiskey is on sale at YVR for $121 taxes in at the duty free (They also had the 30 year old on sale too, $350 If i remember correctly.)
Also picked up a bottle of Peat Monster blended malt at the new liquor store located in the back of the new Walmart in Richmond. ($80 ish dollar) Really like the smoke and fruit notes when I had my first Dram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballentine2.JPG (114.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #667
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Personally am not a fan of whiskey stones. Got like 3 sets laying around, used them once and didn't bother. Prefer big globes of ice instead.

I got this for secret santa last year, it's a bit gimmicky but I actually enjoy it a lot.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #668

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Jamieson as a "tasting" whisky

It's a good mixer and good all around whisky if you just want to get a buzz but as a taster, it's pretty one dimensional and flat. I find the "better" Irish whiskeys are a tad overpriced.

If you want to host a beginner's whisky tasting night, i recommend picking up blended scotch (or single malts), some bourbon, and some Canadian whisky...Hell, throw some Rum in for good measure.

For Blended scotch, J&B is pretty reasonably priced (same price as Jamieson iirc), Cutty Sark, Famous Grouse, Teacher's (Peaty), Red Label ... all great starters for blended scotch that bring more to the table in terms of dimension vs Jamieson.

Mcllelland's makes single malts that are in the $40-$50 range that may not be the greatest for those with refined palates and experience, but if you wanted to start of somewhere in the world of single malts, it never hurts to start off with something cheap as you try to develop a taste for things. Keep an eye out for different scotch regions as each will have their own distinct taste.
Personally, I'd recommend Auchentoshan as a starter single malt. It's balanced and pretty easy-going and is around $60-75.

Bourbon - Bulleit is great as a starter bourbon. Buffalo Trace is also a pretty good bourbon to start with. Jim Beam is on the cheap end and I'd recommend if you just wanted bourbon for the sake of having bourbon. Lots of other "higher end" bourbon out there as well but for the sake of affordability, those three pack a good dimensions for the value imo.

Canadian (or Rye-based) whiskey - I'd recommend Bulleit's rye...i thought that was a good sipper. Crown is surprisingly decent as a sipper despite a lifetime of always chugging it down or pouring it with coke. JP Wiser's is decent for the price...though they do have better editions that are cheaper than scotch. I can't remember the last one i drank, might've been the 18 or 20 year old but I thought it was solid for a $60ish bottle.

I've been getting into Rum the last couple of years after trying Kraken for the first time. I'd recommend it...pretty easy to drink. Sailor Jerry's is a great rum to get fucked up on and is pretty rough around the edges but has some good flavor. My go to rum the last little while has been English Harbour and El Dorado 12 year. The El Dorado is my favorite of the bunch and is a nice sipper with awesome value...it's $31.99 which is amazing for aged rum that's not Bacardi.

so...you gonna invite RS to the Whisky tasting night or what?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #669
Waxin’ Punks

Kraken and SJ are both spiced rums..

Just had a glass of Flor de Cana which is a 5 year aged rum. Easy drinking would recommend.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #670

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Kraken and SJ are both spiced rums..

Just had a glass of Flor de Cana which is a 5 year aged rum. Easy drinking would recommend.
Flor de Cana is good. So is Ron Zacapa - the 25 is only $50USD or so and it's a great sipping rum. I'd put it up against a 12 year old Scotch for taste.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #671
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Flor de Cana is good. So is Ron Zacapa - the 25 is only $50USD or so and it's a great sipping rum. I'd put it up against a 12 year old Scotch for taste.
Haha you hit the nail on the head for your picks! Top two in this guy's review.

10 best rums | The Independent

Got this for Christmas, and it's awesome. Chocolate in a bottle.

pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #672
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
With whisky stones, I find it is a case of you get what you pay for. I received some free ones from Hopscotch a couple years ago and they were a total waste of time. For xmas this year I received one made of pure jade and it's remarkably more effective. That being said, I don't really enjoy sipping my drink with the stones in the glass, so once the whisky has chilled I usually remove it.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #673
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Picked up a couple bottles of the IWAI Japanese whiskey from the November release. It's a bit on the sweeter side but very smooth. Not sure if it's worth the $95 price tag though.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #674
God of Unce

How much is Hibiki 17 in HK? Coworker going vacay, gonna ask if he can grab me a bottle.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #675
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
How much is Hibiki 17 in HK? Coworker going vacay, gonna ask if he can grab me a bottle.
You will not find any aged Hibiki in HKG Duty Free.
Last I checked was Feb. 2016

He need to dig deep in local store, but price will be sky high