REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #776
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Almost finished my Aberfeldy 12 year. Thinking of picking up another one as it's my daily sipper, smooth and tasty without breaking the bank. Noticed the 18 year sitting beside it at almost double the price.
Is it worth it?
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #777
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Almost finished my Aberfeldy 12 year. Thinking of picking up another one as it's my daily sipper, smooth and tasty without breaking the bank. Noticed the 18 year sitting beside it at almost double the price.
Is it worth it?

at the price point for the Aberfeldy 12, its a great buy. I tried the 21 at the whisky classique and it undelivered in complexity for the price.

cant speak for the 18 but i think anything more than $60 for a Dewar's (aka Aberfeldy) is probably overkill since they use their spirits for blending.

edit: if you try a dewar's 12, you'll notice the similaries with the aberfeldy 12 minus the bite.
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #778
Ebisu Boss

I have never had Dewar's before.
Are you referring to this one?
DEWAR'S - 12 YEAR OLD DOUBLE AGED | BC Liquor Stores

It's only $42? And you feel it's better than Aberfeldy?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #779
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
I have never had Dewar's before.
Are you referring to this one?
DEWAR'S - 12 YEAR OLD DOUBLE AGED | BC Liquor Stores

It's only $42? And you feel it's better than Aberfeldy?
Yeah the dewars 12 isn't bad. If you like Aberfeldy, you'll like dewars but they're the same producers.

I'm actually surprised the dewars is $42 (it was $30 is last time I saw it locally) .... I'd probably stick with the Aberfeldy.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #780
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Polished off a bottle of Yamazaki 18 the other day. So good. Securing another bottle as we speak and will be polishing that soon!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #781
Banned By Establishment

Has anyone tried Nikka Coffee Grain Whiskey?
I’m wondering how sweet it is and the flavour notes.
Is this bottle a little expensive for a newbie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #782
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Has anyone tried Nikka Coffee Grain Whiskey?
I’m wondering how sweet it is and the flavour notes.
Is this bottle a little expensive for a newbie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really depends on you. My friends and I have tried it, it's honestly not to our liking, waay too sweet that you'd start to question if it's even a whisky.. I think it would be a good gateway whiskey for females though
Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #783

Is there anything decent under $40? Opened and quickly finished a $100 limited Macallan I got at duty free years ago. Following this guide I bought a $27 Famous Grouse, which isn't too good straight up. Would Naked Grouse for $40 be a bad buy?

I picked up a $40 Buffalo Trace Bourbon and it's a completely different direction, but ok. Hoping for something smoother. Some of the recent recommended budget scotches on this thread are over $60 now.. Might try that Dewars 12 posted earlier for $40.

Last edited by jlo mein; 05-11-2018 at 07:45 PM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #784
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Only things at that price point that I can say are pretty decent would be the Northern Harvest, Woodford Reserve, and Bulleit. The last two are bourbons compared to scotchs tho
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #785
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
For something under $40 and does not offend most people, pick up a bottle of Two Gingers. It's palatable for most people, and quite good for what it is.

Full disclosure: It is an Irish Whiskey.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #786
I subscribe to Revscene

There's nothing under $40 for scotches... Pay the extra $20 and get something that's 12 year Aberfeldy, Aberlour, HP.... Unless u like hard bite bourbon which are usually used for mixers. You might be able to get by on decent Canadian whisky if u like rye, lot 40, Alberta premium, aged Canadian clubs.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #787

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
For something under $40 and does not offend most people, pick up a bottle of Two Gingers. It's palatable for most people, and quite good for what it is.

Full disclosure: It is an Irish Whiskey.
Thanks both of you for the recommendations. I went with Two Gingers since I found it at the store I stopped at. They also had one called Tullamore Dew for nearly the same cost, maybe I'll try that next time.

Also picked up the 12 year Aberlour, opinions seem to be it's better than the equal $65 price Macallan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180512_165146.jpg (135.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #788
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Bushmills and Tullamore Dew are also great for under $40. I will never turn it down when offered by friends and colleagues.

Fun fact - Bushmills and Tullamore Dew, despite being Irish whiskeys, are highly revered in Ireland, and much cost much more compared to Canadian prices.

Edit: Let us know what you think of it!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #789

Cracked open the Two Gingers. For $31 it's a lot more pleasing than the Famous Grouse I had (as a neat drink). Thanks for the rec! I won't be afraid to try any Irish whiskies now. I'm beginning to think there aren't any secret, decent finds at this price point, but this is relatively smooth and easy drinking. I think I'd still prefer Buffalo Trace bourbon at $40, but I haven't had anything better at $30.

I'll open that Aberlour 12 when an occasion comes up.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #790
Ebisu Boss

To be honest, if we are talking about Single Malt I would rather drink 2 bottles of $60 than 3 bottles of $40.
I have not found any whiskey under $50 to be enjoyable (yet?).
Strathisla ($54) and (Aberfeldy) $56 are my daily sippers now. Treating myself with Balvenie ($100) every once in a while.

Personally I'm getting tired of the CR Northern Harvest but still a good buy for $35.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Bushmills and Tullamore Dew are also great for under $40. I will never turn it down when offered by friends and colleagues.

Fun fact - Bushmills and Tullamore Dew, despite being Irish whiskeys, are highly revered in Ireland, and much cost much more compared to Canadian prices.

Edit: Let us know what you think of it!
can confirm, bushmills is pretty good for the price point. that's my choice of scotch if i'm going camping or in the outdoors
Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #792
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts

Bought my annual bottle as I drove through Wyoming to Colorado for the Silver Summit driving adventure. Couldn't wait, already cracked this one. Won't last through the weekend, so I guess I'm buying another bottle as I head North!
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #793
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
To be honest, if we are talking about Single Malt I would rather drink 2 bottles of $60 than 3 bottles of $40.
Strathisla ($54) and (Aberfeldy) $56 are my daily sippers now. Treating myself with Balvenie ($100) every once in a while.

Personally I'm getting tired of the CR Northern Harvest but still a good buy for $35.
Aberfeldy is good stuff

Not sure if this has been mentioned at all but Dalwhinnie 15 yr is the bomb
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #794

Quote:

I'll probably say the same further into my whiskey journey. For now, with a novice palate and many other money sucking hobbies I'll be experimenting with cheaper options.

I saw that Aberfeldy for $56, might be next on my list for a nicer drink. Never had the CRNH and you're the second person to mention it to me, certainly buying it someday soon. Cheers

EDIT: Found one of your posts from 2015. Seems like you were on a similar journey as I'm starting on.

Quote:
This (Crown Royal Northern Rye) is going to be my daily sipper without breaking the bank.
For the price tag of $30 it is DEFINITELY worth it and I can almost guarantee there will not be another whiskey under $80 that is this good.

However I fail to see how it can hold a candle to the likes of my beloved Balvenie 17/21 and Hibiki 21. They are in a league of their own. Although they are exponentially more expensive lol.
link to same post

Looks like you certainly found better bottles under $80 now.

Last edited by jlo mein; 05-16-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #795
Ebisu Boss

Haha for sure, the journey continues!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #796

Got to try out a few cheap options thanks to friends. Alberta Premium Dark Horse seems good for $30. It's a sweeter whiskey. Seems to catch a bad rap for its non-traditional process (90% Alberta rye, 9% Old Grand Dad bourbon, 1% sherry). In the US its known as Alberta Dark Batch due to legal naming issues.

Jim Beam Black ($27) isn't too bad. I get a ton of oak, both in the nose and on the palette. I'd buy it and enjoy it at this price. I like Buffalo Trace and even though JBB is so different I like it in its own way.

Appleton Estate 12 Rare Blend rum ($40). I cut my teeth on aged rums, gathering a ~15 bottle collection a few years ago before exploring whiskey, but never tried this. Quite smooth and sweet, like a smoother and more woody Appleton VX. Pretty good for a $40 rum, although I haven't tried Mount Gay XO ($45). I should mention that in the past when I shared rums with whiskey experienced friends, some didn't like it.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #797
Ebisu Boss

Semi-related question.
If I had a couple of rarer bottles that I wanted to sell, anyone know where and how do to go about doing that?
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #798
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Semi-related question.
If I had a couple of rarer bottles that I wanted to sell, anyone know where and how do to go about doing that?
What do you have?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #799
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
It’s kind of hard to find, but you guys should check out Powers whiskey if u can. Only place I’ve found it is high point on Hastings.

It’s made at the same distillery as Jameson but it’s wayyy better. A friend we go hunting with had brought a bottle back from Ireland and we polished it off in a night. It’s around $55 for a bottle but I’d say it’s good value at that price.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #800
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
What do you have?
A few discontinued Japanese Whiskey's like Hibiki 12, Hakushu, etc.