REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #901
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Really? I thought any Japanese single malt was basically unicorn tears at this point.
The 12 year old stuff yes because even the avg person may shell out a couple hundred. However, the 17/18 year stuff at around $600-700 CDN is for the more committed and I know my friends and I have easily without trying secured around 6 bottles of the Yama 18 and Hibiki 17 in the last year plus I know of other friends as recent as last month still stumble upon 17 and 18's. I mean Hillmar here just randomly came across them all as well right.
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"

Last edited by winson604; 04-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #902
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So just to update my earlier post, I came back with the bottle of Ardbeg Dark Cove Committee Release. I was very tempted with the Laphroaig 15 though.
I did give a hint with the earlier post as you see that the first bottle of the committee release was missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArdbegDarkCove.jpg (84.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #903
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Really? I thought any Japanese single malt was basically unicorn tears at this point.
well, 12 yo (yamazaki.hibiki) were already withdrawn , as of nov 2018 17yo is gone also, hibiki that is. not sure about 18yo yamazaki
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #904
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just got back from Scotland, trip was cut short but was able to do a little shopping.
Anybody looking for GOT bottles? There is a boat load at Heathrow at the moment. Selling for $60 Cdn to $70 Cdn.
Picked up a bottle of King Alexander from the Dalmore distillery ($250 Cdn) with a few glasses and a bottle of Glengoyne 21 ($180 Cdn) from the distillery.
Also picked up a set of drinks by the dram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dalmore2small.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dalmore3small.jpg (94.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dalmore4small2.jpg (128.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #905
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
After the ending of the show I regret picking up the bottles haha! I'm just kidding the House Stark Dalwhinnie is pretty good but the White Walker Johnnie Walker was horrible! Warm, chilled, on ice. Did not like it at all. Just rough and artificially sweet.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #906
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Laird of Fintry worth getting?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #907
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Laird of Fintry worth getting?
Did you get the lottery? IMO yes, it's a nice BC whiskey. I've had 3/5 years and they've improved every year as it gets more and more aged.

Fruity, vanilla, oak, spice notes from what I remember. Have to refresh my memory when I get home now.

My 2018 bottle.

My 2014/2015 bottle (IIRC?) both are drunk now. Delicious.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #908
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Did you get the lottery? IMO yes, it's a nice BC whiskey. I've had 3/5 years and they've improved every year as it gets more and more aged.

Fruity, vanilla, oak, spice notes from what I remember. Have to refresh my memory when I get home now.

My 2018 bottle.

My 2014/2015 bottle (IIRC?) both are drunk now. Delicious.
Yeah, just got the email.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #909

I just checked my e-mail, and I just got it too. I will order it and add the Laird Blue Label (https://okanaganspirits.com/products...rd-blue-label/) to get the free shipping.
fml
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #910
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I just cracked open a Ballantine's 19 Year single Malt that I got from Duty Free, absolutely delicious. Crisp floral and smooth with lingering spice.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #911

2019 release!

Promotion Details | BC Liquor Stores

Old 10-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #912

Forgot to post my Okanagan Spirits whiskey(ish) collection now that the 2019 has arrived.
fml
Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #913

Haven't posted for a while.

67AAFE13-CC51-42A2-9B9E-B931E06BE909.jpeg

Friend sent this. Anybody got $40k they could loan me? Yamazaki 55

54515985-842B-4DA9-BEA5-7A6D1C659761.jpeg

My haul from trip to Japan. Had these sitting there for almost 6months at friends place.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #914
Banned By Establishment

Whiskey/Bourbon etc

Anyone where where I can find the new Jameson Cold Brew Irish Whisky? I already checked with BCLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #915

^ Legacy liq?

we found some crazy tickets, and booked 3 weeks in Lon. Planning to do whisky tour in scotland. can anybody give inputs, buses/drive. any blogs and pointers. would be great help
Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #916
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Well this was a bit disturbing to read...

Spoiler!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/d...se-whisky.html
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #917
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Chinese will stop buying it in such large amounts, and eventually demand and prices should come down.

I still remember the first time I bought Yamazaki 12 after moving to HK. I bought it because it was cheaper than the big Scottish brands of similar age Turned out to be really good, so I became a regular drinker of it (and the 18 which wasn't as cheap but still good value for the quality). Haven't touched it since prices went insane. Now even the cheap below-bottom-shelf stuff is expensive as hell when you see it in stores and airports.

They definitely do need some rules though. Normally prices wouldn't go near what they did without proper rules in place, but again it's Chinese demand driving it up.

Also I wouldn't be too mad if I found out my Japanese whisky had some of its blend imported from Scotland... Like why are you even buying it? because it's a good whisky from Japan? Or because it's simply "Japanese whisky"?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #918
private modder

My first taste of Japanese whisky was in HK as well, before the hype took off. Over the next couple of years, I visited Japan, saw a few distilleries and learned about the manufacturing processes. So it was a a bit upsetting to find out many years later some of these Japanese varieties don't come from Japan, but that's only after seeing the distilleries and learning the history first-hand.

I spent a lot of money and time over the years building my collection. It all comes from Suntory or Nikka, therefore I am confident none are gaijin lol.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
My first taste of Japanese whisky was in HK as well, before the hype took off. Over the next couple of years, I visited Japan, saw a few distilleries and learned about the manufacturing processes. So it was a a bit upsetting to find out many years later some of these Japanese varieties don't come from Japan, but that's only after seeing the distilleries and learning the history first-hand.

I spent a lot of money and time over the years building my collection. It all comes from Suntory or Nikka, therefore I am confident none are gaijin lol.
The very post you made has a quote from a Nikka rep saying they use imported whisky in their blends

Not that there's anything wrong with it, if you're buying a Japanese whisky for it's quality and not for its Japanese-ness
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Well this was a bit disturbing to read...

Spoiler!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/d...se-whisky.html
Was always common knowledge it's just that it has gotten more out of control now a days. People always looking to take advantage!

Old 06-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #921
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Great idea though just buy the quality whiskey and create your own blends and jack up the prices through the roof by riding a reputation.

I know very little of Japanese whiskey but I’ve done some relatively extensive tastings in Scotland and Ireland and funny thinking back Japanese whiskey was not once mentioned in these tastings where as a lot of praise went to Canadian Whiskey and American Burboun.. wonder if they were all in the know
Old 06-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #922
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The very post you made has a quote from a Nikka rep saying they use imported whisky in their blends

Not that there's anything wrong with it, if you're buying a Japanese whisky for it's quality and not for its Japanese-ness
They never hid the fact. No issues with me.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Great idea though just buy the quality whiskey and create your own blends and jack up the prices through the roof by riding a reputation.

I know very little of Japanese whiskey but I’ve done some relatively extensive tastings in Scotland and Ireland and funny thinking back Japanese whiskey was not once mentioned in these tastings where as a lot of praise went to Canadian Whiskey and American Burboun.. wonder if they were all in the know
There are some great Japanese whiskys, but many more average and bad ones. I think most of the hype is riding ONE brand, and that's Suntory's Yamazaki aged single malt. That's the one that got everyone's attention, and although there are other great ones as well, it's mostly hype created by that one (IMO)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #924
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Is nobody drinking anymore lol? Dived into bourbons the last few months. Really enjoying Rare Breed and Eagle Rare at the moment.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #925

I drink like a fish but it's all cocktails now. High quality cocktails, but there's no need for expensive liquor in a cocktail. My go-to bourbon is a 90 proof Ezra Brooks which would probably sell for like $15 in the US but booze is crazy expensive here so that's what I stick with. I use their 90 proof rye as well. Actually for cocktails both are excellent, as they just have a good "this is a bourbon and this is a rye" flavour.

Unfortunately I still have to buy some expensive booze, but it's proprietary liqueurs like Chartreuse, Benedictine, etc. Have to keep some absinthe around as well.

Lately I've been drinking a lot of tiki drinks, so that means I have to keep several bottles of rum on hand. Favourite light rum is Plantation 3 stars. For aged column still (Spanish style) I got with Matusalem 7 (originally from Cuba, now Dominican Rep). I keep two types of Jamaican - Myers's for some funk and strong molasses flavour, and Smith & Cross for strong funk and higher proof (my favourite booze in the world). I also keep Plantation OFTD which is 69% (nice) for the proofy needs.

My wife bought me a bottle of Plantation Guyana 2005 for my birthday, and I've used it in a few cocktails but it's too good for cocktails I think I'll enjoy it more as a sipper in the winter.

For gin I stick with Bombay Sapphire, as a 1L bottle is "just" $25 USD and it's a nice 47% ABV. Other gins are cheaper, like Beefeater, but the Beefeater we get is their low quality 80 proof, might as well use vodka. I would prefer Tanqueray as my go-to, but Bombay is just about as good but a much better deal.

I recently found an insane deal on Cognac, which is usually insanely expensive in HK. Jules Gautret VSOP is as good (in cocktails) as any of the big brands like Martel, Remy, Courvoisier VSOP, but these bottles were 1/4 the price. Snatched up 2 bottles but never saw it again. Finished the first bottle yesterday with a Between The Sheets

So there's my "etc" part of the "whiskey, bourbon, etc" thread I have much more sitting on the shelf, lots of different liqueurs and vermouth in the fridge (I get into arguments about vermouth on reddit because people care more about brand than flavour). I've been trying all sorts of different brands, and have come to some conclusions on what I settle on.
This post thanked by: