REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
So if majority of people don't know what RS is, do you want their first impression when they find out to be that RS is full of street racing punks?
To be honest, I don't care what they think. I don't associate myself with RS.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #77
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
The lesson here is doing 140km on the sea to sky is totally fine because it's not even that fast.. just don't do it in a group of 8 cars.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #78
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Then why are you still browsing and posting here?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #79
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,792 Times in 3,326 Posts
8 Sea-to-Sky speeders tracked by RCMP chopper | CTV British Columbia News

LOL @ speed hunters sticker... whats the big deal?

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #80
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Doesn't matter, because Eagleridge is before that exit as well. Eagleridge is the exit immediately after Sunset Marina as you head south - it gives access to the townhouses that were built there. Next exit after that is the old hwy/Horseshoe Bay exit.
^ I thought they got pulled over where the highway cuts through the mountain and hwy 99 joins on to hwy 1. You can see from the video the huge bend and ferry offramp in the back ground.

you can even see the ferry terminal at 0:50.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 05-08-2013 at 05:52 PM.
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #81
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

looks like a cop car overheated or something trying to chase them
pretty sure I know who it is, but I won't say any names to respect peoples privacy
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #82
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
The lesson here is doing 140km on the sea to sky is totally fine because it's not even that fast.. just don't do it in a group of 8 cars.
pretty much, i went up there this weekend... did about 110 then had to pull to the right and chill behind a 4 dr civic for the rest of the way up because the rate of traffic on the left was just more than i was willing to do ( 4300 rpms @ 110 km/h) 100km constant was about the speed on the right lane. im sure they wouldnt have sent out the roflcopter to hunt those dodge pick ups / caravans that passed me
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
A sports car (like a 911) has less of a chance to avoid an accident at 130 km/h than a minivan does at 100 km/h. Less of a chance to brake in time and less chance of making a lane change to avoid something. Sports cars do not defy physics and their capabilities are not that much better than "normal" cars.

This discussion has been brought up numerous times on RS and people still have the false belief that "sports cars" or modern cars somehow have limits that are far beyond cars your parents drove. This is simply not true.

It's also irrelevant. Speed limits aren't set based on how flat and straight the road is or how good your car is - they are based on the ability for motorists to avoid (or minimize) a collision when an event occurs that is unexpected. 140 km/h may seem fine, but what if another car pulls out in front of you? Or a deer crosses the road? Or you come around the corner to find an overturned logging truck?
Im not sure how often you drive that road, but I dont think I have ever seen logging trucks randomly pull out onto a highway on blind corners anywhere along the S2S, but hey, what do I know, I have only been up and down that highway for 26 years.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #84
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,792 Times in 3,326 Posts
well, group of heaty cars...

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #85
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
You guys think 140 on the S2S in the summer weather is dangerous, trying driving Hwy 63 to Fort Mac in the winter. 140 is about cruising speed, and the road is covered in ice and snow. Go whine to me about dangerous driving after trying to drive that road ONCE. Some of you are so sheltered its hilarious.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #86
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Please don't post here, sell your shit here or come to any of the meets or events that people here work so hard to organize then. You can go hang out with mustang donut middle finger guy and that obese asshole that pops wheelies everywhere and talk about what "fags" we all are and cry.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #87
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
everybody focused on 140 not being that fast, maybe it isnt. You probably woundnt get pulled over, let alone impounded if it was just one person.

But if its a group of 8 people, in loud, heaty, modified cars, then your pretty much just asking for it and they got what they deserved for being retards.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #88
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

as is with everything in life, there are two sides to every story.

im not going to/trying to justify my actions or argue weather or not going 140 in an 80 is safe/legal/a smart thing to do, but i would like to say my side of the story. myself as well as others have frequented the spring/summer meets and i myself would like to be welcome at future events.

i put a day permit on my car to do some exhaust work at my shop, and i figured i would get some use of the permit by inviting 2-3 friends on a dinner run up to squamish, which soon turned into 8 cars.
i realized i was cutting it close to the 12pm cutoff for my insurance on the way back, but with great friends i had with me, they decided to try and get home with me and not leave me to fend for myself.

this is my first speeding ticket, along with most of my friends who were caught. we dont do this type of 'freddy vts' shit and for the most part aren't 'hard as fuck.' i think its being blown out of proportion for the most part but hey, taxpayers clearly enjoy seeing results of their money at work.

also, the burnout done at the meet was not done by one of the people caught on friday.
Zero-Offset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #89
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts

As soon as I saw the story on Global tonight, I knew there would be the beginnings of a decent thread on here.

The jimmies of RS have clearly been rustled
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #90
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #91
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
If you live in squamish, you drive that road regularly. I know it like the back of my hand. I could drive the old road with my eyes closed, and knew how hard I could push each corner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Years ago,I stayed with a Lady from Squamish for a Whistler Hockey Tournament. Back and forth she drove us to our games. She literally quoted you word for word as she raced through rain and snow along the sea to sky. I've never seen anything like it before. She was in the zone. I was quietly holding down breakfast in the back
Scaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #92
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
^ strong first post....

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #93
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Bunch of dickwads...

Quote:
A young Richmond driver was one of eight ticketed and towed after being caught doing almost double the speed limit on the Sea to Sky Highway.

Both West Vancouver Police and Squamish RCMP received calls Friday around 11:30 p.m. that a bunch of cars were zipping southbound on Highway 99 near Furry Creek.

The RCMP's regional traffic patrol helicopter Air One began tracking the cars by air and they were estimated to be traveling in excess of 140 kilometres per hour, nearly double the posted 80 km/h limit.

The chopper continued to follow the cars until West Vancouver police were able to set up a roadblock on Highway 1 and stop the cars.

All eight vehicles were immediately towed and impounded for a week, while the drivers were given tickets for excessive speed.

The drivers ranged in age from 21 to 25, with six hailing from Vancouver, one from Richmond and another from Surrey.

Vehicles impounded include five Nissan 240SX models, ranging in vintage from 1989 to 1997.

Also impounded were a 1989 Nissan Skyline, a 1992 Toyota MKII, and a 2000 Acura Integra.

According to police, all the vehicles appeared to feature various high-performance modifications.

With a file from the Vancouver Sun
© Copyright (c) Richmond News

Read more: Richmond driver amongst 'high-performance' speeders
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #94
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

This case has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. If any of the drivers are on this site, I would seriously encourage you to dispute the excessive speeding ticket.

There is no evidence of the police actually measuring the speed of any of the drivers with a speed measuring device required by law - LIDAR or radar.

Visual speed estimation is useless when you're up in a helicopter. Ever try to estimate the speed of a plane by looking up in air?

The fact that the cars can be impounded based on zero evidence is an outrage.

This is a joke. Regular citizens calling in a bunch of cars driving at a reasonable albeit brisk pace is pathetic. ONLY IN BC!

Last edited by Marco911; 05-08-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
A sports car (like a 911) has less of a chance to avoid an accident at 130 km/h than a minivan does at 100 km/h. Less of a chance to brake in time and less chance of making a lane change to avoid something. Sports cars do not defy physics and their capabilities are not that much better than "normal" cars.

This discussion has been brought up numerous times on RS and people still have the false belief that "sports cars" or modern cars somehow have limits that are far beyond cars your parents drove. This is simply not true.

It's also irrelevant. Speed limits aren't set based on how flat and straight the road is or how good your car is - they are based on the ability for motorists to avoid (or minimize) a collision when an event occurs that is unexpected. 140 km/h may seem fine, but what if another car pulls out in front of you? Or a deer crosses the road? Or you come around the corner to find an overturned logging truck?
It's all about probabilities. Can you guarantee that a person driving the speed limit will not be involved in a collision / injury / death? Nope. Can driving more miles at the speed limit put you at increased risk of a serious crash than driving fewer miles above the speed limit? Yup.

I lean toward being a libertarian on these type of issues and I think that people should be free to drive at a speed they consider to be reasonable and prudent. Fines and penalties for exceeding the limit should be reasonable and in proportion to the harm caused to society. Motorists rack up billions of speeding-miles every year with nary an incident. Do we really have to impound cars and impose severe penalties on someone doing 140 km/h on a good stretch of tarmac?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #96

I would love to be fighting this ticket in court. I would ask them to identify my car from their crappy little video and ask them at what point they actually were able to accurately measure my EXACT speed. All the reports of calls and complaints from the general public is meaningless and irrelevant.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #97
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
and im sure most of these cars have loud exhaust so "going 200km/hr" actually means going 80 in 4th gear at 6k rpm

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #98
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,071 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
I would love to be fighting this ticket in court. I would ask them to identify my car from their crappy little video and ask them at what point they actually were able to accurately measure my EXACT speed. All the reports of calls and complaints from the general public is meaningless and irrelevant.
i was thinking the exact same. There are 9 cars in the video but they caught 8 and let one go through. They couldn't tell who was who
ThatKoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #99

Guilt by association. The ninth car was probably did not know anyone in the bigger group.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #100
PRINCESS

^^surprised that last driver didn't get caught
*don't wanna spill out too much details*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Guilt by association. The ninth car was probably did not know anyone in the bigger group.

Yes that 9th car was part of the group

Last edited by MeowMeow; 05-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote