REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #226
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
what a fucking roller coaster.

I just moved back to Vancouver, and Pason called me for a job/interview.

4 on 4 off in Calgary 60k a year.

I can't even handle myself right now that I actually have to refuse this job.
While you were in alberta what were you doing?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #227
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Working for an airline company on oil rigs.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
60k a year in Alberta is like minimum wage in Vancouver. Ill be heading back to the mac once im home from New York. 14/14 shift, with flights paid to Calgary. If they give me time off for school, I might work more then 14 days, kekekeke.
true, I got a plumbing apprenticeship lined up here, but 60k in Calgary is pretty good (starting) with room for advancement.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #229
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
true, I got a plumbing apprenticeship lined up here, but 60k in Calgary is pretty good (starting) with room for advancement.
Yeah you are hard pressed to find a job in calgary that starts you at a lower wage.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #230
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I might have to go to Fort Mac on occasion for work.

Have to say I wouldn't move there for any long period of time. I think I'd go insane. One of the big factors for me in looking for a job in aviation was that I could stay in Vancouver.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #231
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
That was fast majin, had friends in the plumbing business?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #232
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
union?
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #233
I subscribe to Revscene

I got a job with Cenovus now, im in the pelican lake camp.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #234
Banned By Establishment

I think Ill be moving to Calgary once my lease is up in PoMo. No more paying for flights to work.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #235
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

To those who work in Fort Mac, or are considering it, what do you think of this article? It's old, but I stumbled upon it recently.

Quote:
Six-figure salaries no draw as young workers shun Canada’s oil and gas sector for ‘sexier’ industries

The Canadian oil and gas industry’s faltering reputation is hurting its ability to attract the country’s youth despite the promise of six-figure salaries.

Canadian oil and gas professionals typically receive the fifth-most generous pay packages in the world behind their counterparts in Norway, Australia, Netherlands and New Zealand, according to a report published Tuesday by Hays Oil & Gas and Oil and Gas Job Search. 
Average salaries in the Canadian oil and gas sector were about US$123,000 last year, significantly higher than the average Canadian salary of US$43,600. A third of the Canadian workforce can also expect bonuses, while 80% of employers expect to raise salaries by at least 5%, Hays data show.

That may sound like a sweet deal in an era of 7.2% unemployment in the country, but the oil and gas industry suffers from a perception problem as young people appear to be shunning the industry in favour of technology companies focused on social media and apps.

“If you look at the generation coming out of school these days, there is a lot of interest in industries perceived as being sexier. That’s where a lot of technology-minded individuals are moving,” said Jim Fearon, regional director at Hays Canada. “Also, Canada is very environmentally-focused and I do think it plays a part in peoples’ career choices.”
Canada energy labour shortage: Young workers shun oil and gas sector | Financial Post
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #236

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
To those who work in Fort Mac, or are considering it, what do you think of this article? It's old, but I stumbled upon it recently.

Canada energy labour shortage: Young workers shun oil and gas sector | Financial Post
I don't think they shun oil and gas for something "sexier"

I think the current generation coming out of school doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #237
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post

I think the current generation coming out of school doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use
There are other intangibles to consider, including:
  • Oil companies don't recruit much outside of northern Alberta
  • You need a car and a full license, and many young people can't afford gas or insurance
  • A lot of immigrant families are vehemently against their kid getting into the trades, they want them to get a degree in law/finance/medicine/engineering so they can brag to their friends
  • Many of the less dangerous jobs require years of experience
And so on. Though, I don't know many people who work in the oilfields, so I'm just conjecturing.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #238
Banned By Establishment

Just a shout out to all the cowtown and fort crack revsceners. Im looking for an HD mechanic apprentice position. Just finishing my 3rd year schooling and moving to Calgary end of April. If you know of anything shoot me some contact info so I can ship off some resumes.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #239
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Just a shout out to all the cowtown and fort crack revsceners. Im looking for an HD mechanic apprentice position. Just finishing my 3rd year schooling and moving to Calgary end of April. If you know of anything shoot me some contact info so I can ship off some resumes.
My advice is don't move to Calgary lol Much lower emloyment prospects if you are looking for local work.

Have you considered Red Deer area? Tons of work, lower housing costs, tons of slooots at RDC.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #240
Banned By Establishment

Already have some jobs lined up, see what happens. Im not moving to the dump that Edmonton is. Red Deer is the middle of no where. Going to be a 4th year HD mech in 2 weeks, lots of work around.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #241
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
There are other intangibles to consider, including:
  • Oil companies don't recruit much outside of northern Alberta
  • You need a car and a full license, and many young people can't afford gas or insurance
  • A lot of immigrant families are vehemently against their kid getting into the trades, they want them to get a degree in law/finance/medicine/engineering so they can brag to their friends
  • Many of the less dangerous jobs require years of experience
And so on. Though, I don't know many people who work in the oilfields, so I'm just conjecturing.
No offense but I have 5 good friends working in cold lake for Esso and I'd say almost all of those assumptions besides the cultural things aren't really correct.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #242
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
How the Fuck do I get into a Ft Mac job?
Welder.

Been cold calling and emailing a bunch of places, but I'm not getting a SINGLE reply.

C Ticketed, Just did my B last summer.
Van Local places want to pay me $16., so I'm kindly telling them to fuck right off.

Worked on the Fresh Water tunnel in NVan, and was the only one to get laid off because I wasn't "producing" I'm calling BS, because I was doing 30lbs of wire in 3 hours, and was sent to fit pipes for the rest of it. Other guys were only doing 40lbs in 12 hours. Only found out recently that I was the only one getting paid hourly(35)+OT. While other guys were getting the same + $ Per Pound.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

Also noticing alot of dogshit lazy as fuck welders getting hired + Paid well, while I bust my ass off and still get laid off.
Starting to think its a race thing...

Last edited by SpuGen; 04-02-2014 at 12:49 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #243

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Start as a helper, tons of places besides fort Mac. Lots of shop jobs in edmonton too. There are a bunch of Facebook groups you can join to find jobs.
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #244

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Welder.

Been cold calling and emailing a bunch of places, but I'm not getting a SINGLE reply.

Van Local places want to pay me $16., so I'm kindly telling them to fuck right off.

Worked on the Fresh Water tunnel in NVan, and was the only one to get laid off because I wasn't "producing" I'm calling BS, because I was doing 30lbs of wire in 3 hours, and was sent to fit pipes for the rest of it. Other guys were only doing 40lbs in 12 hours. Only found out recently that I was the only one getting paid hourly(35)+OT. While other guys were getting the same + $ Per Pound.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

Also noticing alot of dogshit lazy as fuck welders getting hired + Paid well, while I bust my ass off and still get laid off.
A lot of people say that you need to be up here first.
So maybe plan a trip up, and hand out some resume face to face. Also be prepared to start the next day. Companies here usually wants you to start right away. You may need to work a different job to tie you over until smth better comes up, but shouldn't be hard for you to find something up here.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #245
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Welder.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

View The Job Board

You can bid on jobs after 4 days being posted I believe. Also can use jobbank.gc.ca. kijiji is good if looking in Calgary/Edmonton. Fortmcmurrayjobshop.ca is another. I find it hard to believe that an experienced welder is having trouble finding work. You arent looking hard enough or in the right places.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
union?
sorry didnt come back to this thread for a while.

non-union small company (literally a 2 man operation) that wants to grow into a 5-10.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #247

Quote:
Already have some jobs lined up, see what happens. Im not moving to the dump that Edmonton is. Red Deer is the middle of no where. Going to be a 4th year HD mech in 2 weeks, lots of work around.
drive to airdrie and apply in person. lots of oil companies in the industrial area.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post

It's not that easy to get a job unless you actually have a mode of transport for the harsh winter + the ability to actually drive out to areas like ft.mac, fsj etc or have a skill.

Buddy is a paramedic and up in GP working for a first aid company . They flew him up for interview/training and job. But if he had no skills good luck getting an arrangement like that.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #249
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There is no mention of Fort St John, BC here? There is all of these jobs and more here in BC, and it is way cheaper than Fort Mac.

Housing over there is 6x more than here..... ridiculous. There is lots of places hiring all kinds of positions... pipe fitters, welders, electricians, laborers, mechanics, truck drivers, medic/first aid work. Get working as a general helper/laborer and you will be used all over the place. Try a few trades and go with one you like...

Clear over 6k/mo (after tax) too just being a helper/laborer, and way less money to start up than in Alberta.
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #250

i worked in FSJ, look earlier in the thread. Beautiful area.

http://instagram.com/p/gi8dpHGBt6/