REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #126
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yes.
Posted via RS Mobile

I have yet to see one coloured person at my camp.
Advertisement
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #127
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
Serious question. Are you white?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hes actually right. I worked for a communication company and they only hired only white people. They tried a few Pakistani workers but they found they were very stubborn and were very hard to teach anything, not to mention they treated the women staff very poorly.

Im not saying they are all like this!! Maybe we had a bad batch, but since then I know they only hire whites.
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #128

This whole industry is racist. These guys are all small town uneducated farmers.

I really can't be myself around here. Make pussy jokes and be nice then people will love you.
Posted via RS Mobile

Get into hunting, toys, and say you are from a small town.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #129

And to answer subordinates question my company will hire anyone. Because the pay is shit!

I was making 250 a day +40 sub and I was billing out the consultant 45 grand for 21 days of work. Congrats, you traded in your social life to be with dudes for 30+ days straight.

I know a wirelining company that needs workers and will pay for a class 3 up here in fsj.
Posted via RS Mobile

To put into perspective I was on the field after my 2nd day on the job. Guys who have been with the company for 6 months haven't been on the field yet.

There is a fit for this industry.i

Last edited by meowjinboo; 11-10-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #130
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
And to answer subordinates question my company will hire anyone. Because the pay is shit!

I was making 250 a day +40 sub and I was billing out the consultant 45 grand for 21 days of work. Congrats, you traded in your social life to be with dudes for 30+ days straight.

I know a wirelining company that needs workers and will pay for a class 3 up here in fsj.
Posted via RS Mobile

To put into perspective I was on the field after my 2nd day on the job. Guys who have been with the company for 6 months haven't been on the field yet.

Even non-white people?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #131
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

I have my class 1, what experience do you need for wirelining? Whats the shifts, do they pay for travel? Camp? Etc? Wage?

Last edited by Iceman-19; 11-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #132
RS controls my life!

Keith Biggins
Not fort mac but similar lifestyle. My buddy's doing a one year stint on a rig and doing an extensive photography mission to show the life up north. The rig life. Great pictures in my opinion. I lived in grande prairie for 10 years, my mom still lives out there. Always consider going back. I worked for a summer working construction and it really dawned on me that I shouldn't be wasting my youth doing this type of crap just for the money. I wouldn't be able to last another winter up there. It's so boring and unlivable. I'll take the rain over -40 any day. If you wanna do the fort mac/oilrig life I highly recommend you make it short term, and have a good reason for doing it. Get your money, pay off your debts then get the hell outta there! Unless alberta life is your thing, but I have yet to meet a vancouverite who strives to be an albertan. Besides the money, the desirability is low. And if money is all you want in life then give your head a shake. More to life then working 12 hours a day 6 days a week to buy a fancy ass house or a new tv.

Just my two cents. I'll probably be back there next summer though. Pay off debt and live on ei for the winter and travel. I have a job lined up with a potential free class 3 license involved.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I have my class 1, what experience do you need for wirelining? Whats the shifts, do they pay for travel? Camp? Etc? Wage?
Probably 300 a day and camp yeah.

There are about 40 rigs in fsj area alone. Even more past fort nelson.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #134

Also I'm heading home today. Company found out I was looking for new jobs to see what was out there. Was gonna wait till it was confirmed with the hr of precision before I head home. So I hope to god she calls me tomorrow. Woke up to a panic attack today. Granted for what I was getting paid I can do construction OE something in calgary.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #135
My homepage has been set to RS

Damn, that's not good. Hope the trip up there was overall positive ($-wise)
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #136
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Probably 300 a day and camp yeah.

There are about 40 rigs in fsj area alone. Even more past fort nelson.
Posted via RS Mobile
What company?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #137

I'll call the dude tomorrow and find out more info. There is also a well testing job oi know of too.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #138

Good to be home.

I hope I hope precision calls me tomorrow. PLEASE GOD PLEASE.

Some people thought my job was sweet. You really don't do anything all day for 12 hours but you get paid 225 a day. It just wasn't worth it. Seriously you will die of boredom. Even if I did tether my phone to my laptop and played Dota all day I'd get fucking fat and ugly fast.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #139
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Good to be home.

I hope I hope precision calls me tomorrow. PLEASE GOD PLEASE.

Some people thought my job was sweet. You really don't do anything all day for 12 hours but you get paid 225 a day. It just wasn't worth it. Seriously you will die of boredom. Even if I did tether my phone to my laptop and played Dota all day I'd get fucking fat and ugly fast.
Yeah its tough when you have to keep yourself occupied for that long. You can only hit F5 on the new posts page here for so long. 225 a day for that is god awful too.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #140
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while now and its been super helpful. As some of you may know (Meowjin) I'm taking Forestry Operations at UBC, currently in my 3rd year. I know theres a lot of rigging jobs up there but are there opportunities for summer student positions in my field? Currently in Co-op as well but having a hard time finding a job that I can just grind at and make connections.

Cheers
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #141

they wont hire asians.

seriously.

This industry is racist.

Only the oil companies will hire minorities because there is alot of scrutiny on them to be diverse and eco friendly.

and my previous company. Read above why.

But for reforestation I believe the will hire you.

Again this is just my experience in northern BC.

My friend is a red seal chef and dealt with racism when working for PTI (camp company) and had to quit. Thick skin only goes so long when they keep calling you a fucking chink.

Granted all the people in the camp are really really friendly to the filipino workers, so im just assuming its a select few and hiring managers.

Last edited by meowjinboo; 11-12-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #142

nothing yet ;(
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #143
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
they wont hire asians.

seriously.

This industry is racist.

Only the oil companies will hire minorities because there is alot of scrutiny on them to be diverse and eco friendly.

and my previous company. Read above why.

But for reforestation I believe the will hire you.

Again this is just my experience in northern BC.

My friend is a red seal chef and dealt with racism when working for PTI (camp company) and had to quit. Thick skin only goes so long when they keep calling you a fucking chink.

Granted all the people in the camp are really really friendly to the filipino workers, so im just assuming its a select few and hiring managers.
Yeah I was gonna say, PTI is full of immigrants, thats wild.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
When I was still working drilling rigs new guys got razzed hard for the first couple of weeks. Whether that guy was Asian, Native, Black, White, it didn't matter. We (Yes I partook) would ride new guys as hard as we could to try and get them to quit. If they didn't quit, we knew they weren't flakes and would treat them well after that (provided they had a good work ethic). I would never bring race into it myself as I am Scottish, Irish, Native, Japanese. I actually had to fight a couple of times because I look more Native than anything else and a white guy that was on this crew didn't particularly like that. But, I would give new guys shitty jobs to do. One of the best workers we had when I was on Ensign 6 was an Ethiopian who barely spoke english. I'm surprised he didn't kill our Driller or Motorhand at the time with all the racial slurs that would go at him. When he came back for his second hitch, we treated him like one of the family and the guy could outwork all of us, he just couldn't understand what we were saying most of the time so he was stuck as a Leasehand.

I am by no means saying treating people like shit is right. We found that if you treat people the way you would treat them in the real world they never work out and are always looking to take breaks and use the buddy system when not needed etc. I've seen a few handfuls of grown men cry due to getting teased and demeaned on the job.

Keep in mind also that not all rigs are like that. It does seem that these types of practices are less common than before but it still happens.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #145
Banned By Establishment

Survival of the fittest.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #146
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
try sanjel, cascade Services, big eagle. well servicing / vac trucks

go to fsj. get a job as a swamper, get your class 1 or 3
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #147
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
edit

Last edited by hud 91gt; 11-12-2013 at 07:03 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #148

I will be working in fort Mac starting in January for at least 8 monthes. I'm Asian. I know a few other Asians coming up here as well. We are all mining engineers however working for Shell albian oil sands.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #149
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
How much do people make on drilling rigs? I just don't see the appeal of rigs when you can work on a trade and have steady work and be able to use it in BC too. I work for a producer and it's an excellent work environment, good pay, lots of time off.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #150
Banned By Establishment

You can make 10k a month, for 2-6 months, generally.