REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #176
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
thinking about becoming a vagrant. skiipi you got temp work for me till i find something better?
Very possible if you are okay with retail money rather than rig money.
Pm me
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #177
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

im planning on taking a semester off the following september to get myself into the rig in order to pay off my debt. question is, should i take my semester off in september or january? i want to try and minimize down time as time is money since i only have 3 months to make as much money as possible.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #178

don't take a semester off unless you have a job forsure because odds are you wont get one. especailly without farming/construction experience.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #179
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

start getting your tickets now before applying. it can take weeks to get every single ticket or a single straight week if classes are available. costs $500-1000 to get first aid, h2s, tdg, confined space, whmis, etc.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #180
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
You don't need all those tickets, it definitely depends on your job. You left out 2 main tickets anyways, CSTS and OSSA. TDG is only needed if you have a class 3 or better license.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #181
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

No idea about those tickets. haha.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #182
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Don't even bother with the rigs, just take a 4 month course at keyano college and you can make up to $45/hour as a student and they set you up with a job. You also get student housing for under $500. Haul truck, finntech or power engineering.
Posted via RS Mobile
its upwards of $6000 for the haul truck course.. is the work steady year round? im quite interested in this but dont want to spend that much money and only have work for 6 months then get laid off.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #183

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
its upwards of $6000 for the haul truck course.. is the work steady year round? im quite interested in this but dont want to spend that much money and only have work for 6 months then get laid off.
Research research research, it's $6000 to potentially make 200k. Much better than 50k to potentially work at Starbucks.
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #184

Not sure if this is re-post

Fort McMoney
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #185

still contemplating whether or not I should head up to fort mac, without any intentions of finding a job. The thing is if it's not labour/oil related im 100% sure I can make the same money in Calgary.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #186
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Curious. You may have said already, but what are you doing in Calgary for work?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #187

I have a little off-topic question for you guys. What's the situation in Cold Lake? Is there a lot of demand for workers? I know its the smallest oil deposit compared to Fort Mcmurray and Grand Prairie. If oil prices collapse will it be the first to shutdown and turn into a ghost town?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Curious. You may have said already, but what are you doing in Calgary for work?
Labour.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #189
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
still contemplating whether or not I should head up to fort mac, without any intentions of finding a job. The thing is if it's not labour/oil related im 100% sure I can make the same money in Calgary.
If I REALLY wanted to go to Fort Mac I could probably get a job in a day. Did you start posting wanted ads on Kijiji? Have you dropped by in person to any rigging companies?

Companies get hundreds, if not thousands of resumes if it is a good job. If you want to stand out, show up in person like you own the place and show them you want the job!
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #190
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
But what about the living expenses?
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #191
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Pretty sure Fort Mac wage > Calgary wage even if it's non labour / oil related. It's one of the reasons they get people working up in Fort Mac.
Posted via RS Mobile
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #192

I guess this thread has become the official fort mac thread..
I'm heading up there soon and I want to gear before I go to combat the weather conditions. Any recommendations?

jackets, gloves, pants? which brands?

A lot of people recommend Canada goose. Though expensive, I can see why. After doing some research, I think it is worth the investment as my profession is in the mining industry so I could potentially end up anywhere. Opinions?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #193

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
I guess this thread has become the official fort mac thread..
I'm heading up there soon and I want to gear before I go to combat the weather conditions. Any recommendations?

jackets, gloves, pants? which brands?

A lot of people recommend Canada goose. Though expensive, I can see why. After doing some research, I think it is worth the investment as my profession is in the mining industry so I could potentially end up anywhere. Opinions?
A Northface murcmurdo down jacket, or the himilayan parka will fine with out the canada goose price tag.
I have a Canada Goose and Nobis jacket, but I also don't do any physical labour, it'll be a pain having to keep ur real fur hood clean especially when you are working on the rigs.

Just remember to layer, good baseline, midlayer and a wind proof shell and you will be fine.
A good pair of insulated steel toe boots, some ear warmers etc
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #194

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I wear wool boxers and wool shirt>wool long underwear>jeans and shirt>bulwark coveralls

That setup is good to -15 or so and not bulky
From -15 to -30 I add a bulwark jacket
For -35 and below I have a set of bulwark insulated coveralls but it's all employer supplied.

I find adding jackets easier than adding clothing. I alternate between outside and being in buildings that are 40+ so taking off a jacket is easy. Dont wear cotton next to your skin. Lip balm is good too. I've had Dunlop purofort steeltoe boots for 5 years. Very comfy and warm/waterproof and quick to take on and off. In winter I put tungsten carbide studs in them for ice.
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #195

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
My base layer usually consists of:

A sporty type of underwear for wicking away ball sweat. Technical Trunk | Mark's.com | Online Shopping for Casual Clothing, Footwear and More
A thin sock I use basically like a sock liner. Again, to help sweat wick away. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - Lightweight Boot Sock
A thick sock over top. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - Heavyweight Boot Sock OR Wigwam Canada
Long underwear. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - Pant
Long sleeve undershirt. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - Crewneck

It depends on the temperature to see what I wear overtop of that.
(This is assuming coveralls will be worn as well)
Temperature between Zero and -25 I go with:

Standard work jeans. Carhartt - Product - Series 1889® Relaxed Straight Double Front Work Dungaree
Fire Resistant Tee Shirt. Carhartt - Product - Men's Flame-Resistant Long-Sleeve Henley
Fire Resistant Toque. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - FR Tuque

Below -25 I go with:

Insulated Fire Resistant pants. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - FR Pant
Insulated Fire Resistant sweater. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - FR Sweater
Fire Resistant neck warmer. Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - FR Neck Gaiter
(I still wear the toque)

I always wear leather gloves or insulated rubber gloves. Doesn't usually matter what kind but I will always wear a glove liner as well. This liner: Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - Glove Liner works surprisingly well and keeps your fingers agile and workable.

For work boots I always have 3 pairs at work ready to swap out if needed:

My primary pair I wear are Redwings. Product Detail . If you buy Redwings make sure you get the ones made in the USA. They are starting to make some of their models in China from the few that I have seen they are not as reliable. Amazing warranty on these boots and whenever you pop into a Redwings store you can get a pair of laces for free. They give that shit out like lollipops. These boots are waterproof and warm by the way. AMAZINGLY comfortable, you may need to break them in a little, which isn't a bad thing. They will form to your feet.

I keep two pairs of rubber boots at work for when I need go dunk myself a little ways or I have gotten my feet wet and need to change out. When I wear rubber boots I ALWAYS wear Bama Socks. Boot Insulator | Mark's.com | Online Shopping for Casual Clothing, Footwear and More (These aren't the exact ones I buy, but I couldn't find them online) They keep your feet DRY inside a rubber boot and help for warmth and comfort.
These are the only two types of rubber boots worth buying.
Dunlop Purofort Thermo. Purofort Thermo+ full safety | Dunlop Boots
Baffin Icebear. ICE BEAR SAFETY TOE & PLATE

I prefer the grip you get out of the Dunlop better and I find they are more comfortable on the legs as the Baffin as a little bit of a ring around the top of the boot that rubs on my shins (I don't have hair where that ring rubs now) Both are good boots and are decent at -40. The rubber on them starts to get stiff around -30 to -35 and they become a little awkward to move in but still manageable. They have really good grip in the snow and ice. I will not wear the Wigwam brand sock that I linked while wearing these boots as my feet get too warm. I wear the small Helly Hansen sock with the warmer Helly Hansen sock along with the Bama Sock. Feet stay dry and warm. I usually switch out the Bama Sock at lunch or halfway through the shift to make sure my feet stay dry. Dry/warm feet, warm hands, and warm ears are very important in my books. As soon as one of those get cold it becomes harder to do anything. Seems you can warm the rest up with movement and working.

Last edited by ScizzMoney; 12-08-2013 at 07:55 PM.
ScizzMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #196

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
On a side note. I have been using this setup for over 10 years now (minus the Baffin boots) and my body is well adjusted to cold temperatures so you may need to wear some of the insulated stuff a little early.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #197

Lots of good responses here. Thank you guys for your inputs.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
A Northface murcmurdo down jacket, or the himilayan parka will fine with out the canada goose price tag.
I have a Canada Goose and Nobis jacket, but I also don't do any physical labour, it'll be a pain having to keep ur real fur hood clean especially when you are working on the rigs.

Just remember to layer, good baseline, midlayer and a wind proof shell and you will be fine.
A good pair of insulated steel toe boots, some ear warmers etc
Posted via RS Mobile
I happen to be able to get a Canada goose Chilliwack for relatively cheap from a buddy.
But now I'm deciding if I should get something like Banff/Citadel instead (more coverage)

btw I'm not doing any physical labour up there.

EDIT: Decided on Chilliwack. Buddy was very generous and offered me a price I could not resist lol

Last edited by Mining; 12-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #199
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Shorts, T-shirt, hard hat. Dont be a pussy. Its just a little wind chill.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Shorts, T-shirt, hard hat. Dont be a pussy. Its just a little wind chill.
No wonder they call you the Iceman
This post thanked by: