REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #101
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegentleman View Post
First office that me and buddy had on our list to go apply today and we left with jobs. I think..?

She told us to come to the orientation on Thursday, to bring in all certificates and a void cheque.
That would be called being hired.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #102
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
Which company?
Horizon Drilling.
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
That would be called being hired.
It just all seemed too easy. Which is why I'm still in a state of wtf really..

Although I'm sure the work won't be easy. But sacrifices must be made.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #104
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Horizon Drilling.
Nice. Probably start at 20-27 an hour. Probably after your first rotation you wont even be a leasehand/roughneck.

See you on the field.

You probably got hired because you had a clean drivers abstract and all your certs. Probably didn't look like a dumbass either.

I got a call from demon drilling and precision, i'll still go for the interview, but I might need to stick with united cause I don't have a vehicle and they provide one.

Thinking after the season of either trying out instrumentation or pipefitting.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #105

Being sent to ft st john. My dayrate is ~300 a day. living on camp for progress energy.

I'm not stoked about the pay but I do nothing but sit in a truck all day.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Seems slow in Ft Mac right now. Been checking my union job board every day. Not many jobs being posted. Sucks, cause I would love to make some cash!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #107

Stationed on horizon 5. We are busy as fuck. I just sit in a shack all day. By the end of this month I'll be working for a rigging company instead. gonna buy a pos truck.

Don't like sitting in my trailer watching TV all day. Consultant is just as bored as me.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #108

Also not saying rigging is an easy job or anything but its pretty exaggerated....
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #109
Banned By Establishment

Depends on the job you do on the rig...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #110
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Stationed on horizon 5. We are busy as fuck. I just sit in a shack all day. By the end of this month I'll be working for a rigging company instead. gonna buy a pos truck.

Don't like sitting in my trailer watching TV all day. Consultant is just as bored as me.
Posted via RS Mobile
300 bucks for 14 hrs of sitting? Boring but definitely better than being out in the freezing cold.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #111

My trailer has sat TV and I played Pokemon for most of my shift and did 1 hour of real work.

Uh if you have a laptop and can make money in front of a computer this is probably the best job on a rig.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #112

Yeah, I think the rigs are still slow and will pick up mid-November ish? I'm still waiting on a call from my coordinator. But I've tried numerous times calling my recruiter/ a coordinator and they never answer their calls. Left messages and no call backs.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #113
Banned By Establishment

Ive resorted to bidding on pipelining jobs. Shits hard out here for a pimp.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #114
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm thinking of quitting Fort Mac but can't give up only working 26 weeks out of the whole year 😭
Posted via RS Mobile
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #115

Quote:
Yeah, I think the rigs are still slow and will pick up mid-November ish? I'm still waiting on a call from my coordinator. But I've tried numerous times calling my recruiter/ a coordinator and they never answer their calls. Left messages and no call backs.
Keep reading that they'd hire anyone with a pulse. Curious why Majin got a gig and you're still on hold. Hope you aren't banking on this recruiter.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #116
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonst3r View Post
I'm thinking of quitting Fort Mac but can't give up only working 26 weeks out of the whole year 😭
Posted via RS Mobile
You can never quit the mac, the mac quits you.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #117
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If you have a ticket or are in a apprenticeship I would say to come to Calgary and work 7 days a week and live in a shit hole and bank huge money. Esso is building a head office that wont be done for 4 years and downtown is crazy busy. Tons of opportunity's & you can still have a normal social life (that can be difficult in Fort Mac).
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #118

Quote:
Dude how can you not get a job up North? If you really want to go up, try every company, and get as many contacts as possible. That's how I have gotten where I am. I also heard us Albertans get first dibs then B.C-ers are second? Maybe its just a rumor.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #119

What if he doesn't have a ticket/apprenticeship.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #120
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
If you have a ticket or are in a apprenticeship I would say to come to Calgary and work 7 days a week and live in a shit hole and bank huge money. Esso is building a head office that wont be done for 4 years and downtown is crazy busy. Tons of opportunity's & you can still have a normal social life (that can be difficult in Fort Mac).
My friends a plumber and moved there a few months ago, he had his pick of jobs. He has no desire to work out of the city because of a young family but he's getting top dollar and got to make all kinds of demands when he started. He's not making the kind of money there making on the rigs but he's making substantially more then he was here with better hours (home every night for dinner) and benefits. He and his wife are both loving it there, I went a few weeks ago with my wife to check it out but that city just isn't for me. I can see why many people like it there though.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
Dude how can you not get a job up North? If you really want to go up, try every company, and get as many contacts as possible. That's how I have gotten where I am. I also heard us Albertans get first dibs then B.C-ers are second? Maybe its just a rumor.
Well, with this company (Horizon Drilling) I went through orientation filling out forms signing papers and what not and then through the fitness/alcohol/drug test. Last thing I heard was through a text (Oct 21) that the coordinators have my paperwork and will contact me as soon as they have something.

I've handed in applications at Nabors Ensign and Akita. And they all said the same thing that the rigs right now are slow and will pick up Mid-November. I'm gonna try for Precision Beaver and Savanna next.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
What if he doesn't have a ticket/apprenticeship.
He can still get a job as a laborer making easy mid 20's. When I was working at the Calgary Hospital earlier this year there were Ellis Don laborers making 25$ an hour sweeping floors! If he wants to go that route I would apply with one of the big General Contractors that is possibly union so he is locked in & he will get paid a bit more than non-union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My friends a plumber and moved there a few months ago, he had his pick of jobs. He has no desire to work out of the city because of a young family but he's getting top dollar and got to make all kinds of demands when he started. He's not making the kind of money there making on the rigs but he's making substantially more then he was here with better hours (home every night for dinner) and benefits. He and his wife are both loving it there, I went a few weeks ago with my wife to check it out but that city just isn't for me. I can see why many people like it there though.
Yeah we are crazy busy right now and with the new Telus building starting to take shape soon there will definitely be a shortage of workers.

Quote:
Well, with this company (Horizon Drilling) I went through orientation filling out forms signing papers and what not and then through the fitness/alcohol/drug test. Last thing I heard was through a text (Oct 21) that the coordinators have my paperwork and will contact me as soon as they have something.

I've handed in applications at Nabors Ensign and Akita. And they all said the same thing that the rigs right now are slow and will pick up Mid-November. I'm gonna try for Precision Beaver and Savanna next.
Yeah if the last word from the guy was Oct 21st, I would still continue to apply elsewhere. Or even keep phoning/emailing him asking for updates. Managers love it when a person is eager and wants a job. To many people just email a resume and don't follow up.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #123

Got a hired by a toolpush from precision and going for orientation and piss test this week. Precision is hella busy and its a plus that the best toolpush for precision got me the job. Drilling is slow in alberta but FSJ is insane.
Posted via RS Mobile

Plus now I have rig experience and I did kinda save the lives of the whole rig..

The hr lady told me the company gets 100 resumes a day, so they hire farmers and construction dudes first. And you need to getrecruited.

They will only pick up the phone if its a call like this

"Hey its so and so from PDxxx".

They get bonuses for new hires (500 for employees 1000 for toolpush) and these people will always get the job first.

Last edited by meowjinboo; 11-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #124

Serious question. Are you white?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #125
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Serious question. Are you white?