REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #1451
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
You need to stay over 7days abroad to be eligible to this. And if you are flying back, it's quite simple. On the customs form, just check "Yes" on the mailed good/following option, and put the total amount (goods with you, and good mailed). You'd be sent to see an officer after using the Nexus lane at YVR. Officer would ask you a few questions and ask you to fill out a form that separates the value of the goods with/not with you.

After that, if you don't have to pay any taxes, you'd get a copy of the form you just completed with a stamp on it. Just go to Blaine with it and hand it over to the CDN officer when you return.
Thanks for the reply. However, I am flying in and out of Bellingham, driving across border. I am away for 10 days. Yeah I am familiar with that form when you fly into Canada.
Advertisement
wickedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #1452
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
If you are crossing on land, the procedure is similar except it's verbal at first. Let the officer know you have things to mailed to you while away and you'd like to fill out the paperworks. They'd just send you in.

At least that what I experienced when I went to Vegas a while back, flew in/out from Bellingham.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:36 PM   #1453
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,450 Times in 5,113 Posts
Why in a million years would you even tell them though? How are they ever going to find out? You've got way too much fear of the "government machine" to think they have time to compare every person's packages entering the country to their airport landing immigration records.

It's one of those "Check this box if you have the honesty level of a saint and enjoy making your life difficult" things, just my humble opinion.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #1454
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If you are crossing on land, the procedure is similar except it's verbal at first. Let the officer know you have things to mailed to you while away and you'd like to fill out the paperworks. They'd just send you in.

At least that what I experienced when I went to Vegas a while back, flew in/out from Bellingham.
You are correct, spoke to both the CBSA and Nexus this morning. When I come back, tell them I have goods to follow, they will send me in, I will fill out a form, that I will bring with me on the second trip about a week later with my bumper. Told her the item was not purchased while on holidays, rather a month earlier, she said it didn't matter. CBSA couldn't confirm I could do this in the Nexus lane, however after a call to Nexus they confirmed I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why in a million years would you even tell them though? How are they ever going to find out? You've got way too much fear of the "government machine" to think they have time to compare every person's packages entering the country to their airport landing immigration records.

It's one of those "Check this box if you have the honesty level of a saint and enjoy making your life difficult" things, just my humble opinion.
Just trying to save some tax if you read the previous posts
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #1455
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

It's basically to max out the amount you are entitled to bring back to Canada tax-free every time.

You get $800 AND the ability for goods to follow after 7days away. Say you've got nothing to bring back but the same cloth and shit you left Canada with, you can just order something, ship it to the border (you can technically mail to Canada too, but it's more complicated), and claim the full $800 on that mail-order good tax free.

Anyone who actually has things to buy and are not using this legal gift is technically giving away about $100 every time they leave Canada for more than 7 days. (800*12%+whatever duty levied on such product if custom is being anal). Granted border agent usually don't care if it's something 100~200bucks... but for something like a computer part or car part worth over $500, it's a few bucks saved.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #1456
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
WTF

NEXUS cards reportedly revoked in wake of Trump travel ban | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #1457
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

The article says that the guys who got theirs revoked have citizenship in the countries that currently blocked by Trump's immigration policy. It's a very select group of people - not everyone.
syee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #1458
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Supposedly, it only applies to Canadian permanent residents with citizenships in those 7 restricted countries, but a number of Canadian-born and dual citizens have also reportedly had their Nexus memberships revoked as well.

Seriously WTF...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #1459
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Man, I didn't think they'd go so far.....I wonder if my H1B is going to get terminated.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #1460
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Was down to pick up an exhaust yesterday ($740usd) and fuel. Came back through nexus, declared the exhaust. Guard asked me if there was anything special about it, I told him no.. He said have a nice day #winning
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #1461
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Anyone been down lately for a day trip? I haven't been following the recent news, don't know what to expect when going down for a shopping day-trip. Ie. access to phones/pws.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 AM   #1462
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Double post. Plz disregard
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #1463

^ I drove down last week for 2 nights. Used Sumas as I was in Abby for a concert. Around 11pm. No issues whatsoever. Us border guard was super nice. Nothing out of the ordinary.

2nd trip this month. Nothing different.. W/ nexus card of course.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #1464
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I still go down at least once a week. No issues whatsoever.

In fact, it's been smoother than ever. Knock on wood.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #1465
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Some relatives are heading down so I wanted to give them a heads up if they needed to do or provide anything out of the ordinary.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #1466
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I went down to Blaine today. Nexus lane. Like MG1 mentioned, it was super smooth. Didn't even ask where I was going. Just asked if I had anything to declare and sent me on my way.

I did notice though that they had the dogs out sniffing out cars in the regular lanes. Hadn't seen that in a very long time.
syee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #1467
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I had to send in something for warranty repair, but it was only partially covered. I ended up paying $160 USD and got them to ship it to Blaine. Should I be expected to pay any taxes upon returning??

$160 is technically the service fee for RMA on my item.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #1468
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I had to send in something for warranty repair, but it was only partially covered. I ended up paying $160 USD and got them to ship it to Blaine. Should I be expected to pay any taxes upon returning??

declare it warranty repair, and how much you paid on your end.

160 is pretty low, worst case 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #1469
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

If it's under warranty repair, there shouldn't be any taxes on it. Bring your original warranty along with the invoice if you have it.

If you were to "modify" the item to increase it's value, then applicable duty and taxes would be charged.

That's IIRC.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #1470
I am Hook'd on RS

Hey guys. Bumping this thread with a reminder that you can renew your Nexus a year before it expires. I waited too long, re-applied 2 months before, and it expired. My brother and I both had about a 3.5 month wait for interview or approval, so get on it.

Odd, my brother's got renewed without an interview, but I had to have one, maybe because I changed addresses?

And a reminder to update your info on goes website, passports, DL, addresses.

My interview went great, then the officer offered to update my wife and kid's addresses. My wife's passport, DL were expired, and she still had an address from 4 years ago on file, and we didn't update my daughter's passport. He said we were lucky we didn't get sent in to secondary.

So I have avoided a trip to states for past couple months, but the guard told me I could still use the card, though expired, because I had re-applied before expiry. I cannot find anything official online stating this, just some random forums stating the same, anyone ever try?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #1471
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Also, since this thread was resurrected from the dead, be aware that the authorities are out to get left lane campers. $185.00 USD fine, I believe.

Somewhat like what we have here, but they are really out to get those who abuse the passing lane. Especially Canadians. They love to nail Canadians.

Also, they really hate it when you don't change over to the left lane when an officer of the peace is parked on the right shoulder. It's a Washington State law that they enforce. They will drop what they are doing and chase you down. I was given a warning for this......... dude was parked way over to the right on a very wide shoulder with plenty of room. My very trusting, kind face saved me yet again. Actually, dude was a very young and very polite, State Trooper. I told him I would let my fellow Canadians know not to be in the adjacent lane of a cruiser or bike.

Do they have that law here too?
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Do they have that law here too?
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #1473
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Nobody seems to know about the slow down, move over law or the left lane law, and I've yet to see either enforced.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1474
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
until its being enforced constantly, majority of the people won't follow it.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #1475
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
What is the most that you got away with not having to pay customs? I mean same day trip - pick up parcel at Pt Roberts or Blaine, etc.. I find the threshold to be around $300 US. Recently, got waived through, no customs for $280 US
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote