REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #2251
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ I just stole wi-fi like a poor person
I just downloaded offline google maps to the areas I'm going. I can live without everything else, just find wifi lol
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #2252
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Going down to Seattle for 2 days. What did you guys do with phone roaming? Use roam like home? I have a older Samsung on Telus network, I got a text saying starting July 1, my phone being a 3G phone will not work on US carrier and I need to get a LTE or 5G phone.

Does that mean I can't use my phone?
Yes. Lol

Wifi for you, only option.

If you’re travelling with someone using roam like home just have them create a hot spot
Old 07-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #2253
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Bwahahahaha........... I have an iPhone that is capable of LTE 5G. Up until July 1st, I couldn't connect unless I purposely dumbed my smart phone down to 3G. Like WTF? AT&T with Wind/Freedom Mobile. Then July 1st happens. Now works with 5G.

Anyway................
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #2254
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
I’m on Fido and I find anytime I’m in the USA the service sucks so bad, I think they stick you as a last priority network wise and service basically drops to nil in any sort of crowd. I try to use it at Coachella roaming on AT&T standing next to Americans with AT&T and they’re like streaming away loading anything blah blah and I can’t even get anything to load or am slugged off to 3G. Super annoying.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #2255
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
For those all waiting 2+ hours at the border ... Nexus is your best friend! It's $50 for like 5 years ... I'd gladly pay 5x that for the privilege of using Nexus lane. Everytime I pass people in the Nexus lane, I'm shocked at how many people who don't have it. Why people, why? You have a criminal record or something?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #2256
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
^getting nexus now might be more difficult than getting a passport at the moment…
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2022, 09:11 PM   #2257
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
25l jerry cans 10 Bux each. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share
Old 07-14-2022, 10:26 PM   #2258
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
^getting nexus now might be more difficult than getting a passport at the moment…
100x easier. I renewed after it expired and it took like 5-6 weeks ... Done online and didn't have to pay some guy to wait in line at 4:00 am like passport applications!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #2259
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
100x easier. I renewed after it expired and it took like 5-6 weeks ... Done online and didn't have to pay some guy to wait in line at 4:00 am like passport applications!
It might be easy to renew your Nexus pass, but I was referring to a new Nexus application. You need to schedule an interview and those are impossible to find…

At least for a passport, if you’re desperate you can line up overnight and you should get one in a day or two.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2022, 02:51 AM   #2260
MG1

I’m coming up to three years since I applied for a new Nexus pass. Interview is in one week in Blaine. Applied in August of 2019.

So, it’ll most likely be three years before I actually get it in my hands. god bless america.

If it weren’t for Trader Joe’s and Las Vegas, I’d be like screw this………………… gulolol

Seriously, prices down south are not better than up here. Considering the exchange rate, time, effort, and hassles involved, it ends up being higher than here. The only reason to go is for the wider selection and stuff you cannot get up here in Canada. Add to that, cheaper gas, I suppose.

Last edited by MG1; 07-15-2022 at 08:18 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #2261
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It might be easy to renew your Nexus pass, but I was referring to a new Nexus application. You need to schedule an interview and those are impossible to find…

At least for a passport, if you’re desperate you can line up overnight and you should get one in a day or two.
I submitted my application two years ago and about a month ago was finally able to get an appointment. However, I have to drive 2.5 hours away to a NY crossing to do it as Canadian application centres are still closed (in Ottawa). Moreover, the earliest appointment I was able to get was at the beginning of November.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #2262

Old 07-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #2263
MG1

Line ups everywhere and long ones at just about any time of day now that summer is here.

I crossed into the US today at 7:00 am. One car ahead of me and it was just leaving. Got the wave with no questions asked. Wow. I do my usual routine and decide to bypass Costco and just go home. It's 10:00 am. All reports on news and websites indicate 5-10 minutes wait times both directions at all border crossings. "Fullshit," like my father would say. When I get to Peace Arch, the line up is like 25 to 30 minutes. I pick the left most lane. Worst choice ever. 50 minutes later, I reach the booth. Meanwhile, the other two lanes are humming along. Car after car after car. When It was finally my turn, I get asked three questions and that was it. Process took no more than 25 seconds............. I can't wait to receive the Nexus card in the mail. The lineups are now well over an hour.

I'm in a black car with a broken AC. Three hours after I purchase some mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's, I get home and it's still frozen. Secret? Cooler inside a cooler. Both with ice packs. Inside cooler is a Coleman hard cooler. Outside cooler is one of those Titan soft shell coolers they sell at Costco.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:58 PM   #2264

went down sunday morning via truck crossing, we have nexus, 4 cars ahead, NICEST boarder guard ever. well the 5 words she said had the nicest tone.

wife had her nexus renewal interview, took 10 mins, we hit costco gas before hand and filled up the jerry cans.

coming home, 5-6 cars again. another SUPER nice lady. only thing she asked was the plate number (only had the car a couple months and told her i forgot, she got up, checked) asked if anything to declare, said not but i guess i should have said the gas, no other questions and gone.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #2265
MG1

If that's all it takes, the three years wait for the Nexus card was worth it, lol.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:29 AM   #2266
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
i'd pay $50 to skip a 3 hour line just once, let alone for 5 years. too bad most of my friends don't have nexus. i don't even wanna cross with anyone who doesn't have it anymore
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #2267
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

My nexus renewal finally got approved after 13.5 months
A bunch if spots opened up yesterday for blaine

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #2268
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
My nexus renewal finally got approved after 13.5 months
A bunch if spots opened up yesterday for blaine
No spots again lol wish I saw your post earlier.

Mine expired... been hurtin' for certain that one time I had to wait.... total turn off making me not wanna go back.

#FirstWorldProblems

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #2269
MG1

When I went down to Blaine for my interview, there were quite a few people who were there, with no appointments, hoping for spots opening up due to someone not showing up. It must be possible................ anyway.

My appointment was at 8:00 am, when they open their doors.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:51 AM   #2270
Performance Moderator

Instead of half the population ending up with Nexus... they should just treat everyone the same as they treat people with Nexus or even simpler.

Check passport documentation, check for people with visa status... and that's it.

All this taxation and what did you buy nonsense is so archaic. They think it's a competition problem? Well... Germany and Poland have no border and shit is way way cheaper in Poland... so let the people who want to make the effort to go drive somewhere to get something have their savings then.

Honestly CBSA used to be part of CCRA... they separated out and it became CBSA and CRA because they didn't what to be an arm of tax collection anymore... but that's what they're holding up everyone doing constantly every day, nevermind the environmental impacts of thousands of cars idling in place for hours on end every day.

The whole thing is stupid and can no longer be justified by anyone with logic in this day and age.

At the VERY least... they should just ask you questions at the booth and if there's anything further, immediately refer you inside... having endless conversations at the booth from your car is so pointless and just holds up the line. Nothing more aggravating than sitting there 20 minutes while 1 vehicle is sitting there in a big back and forth... just send them in!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #2271

exactly, it should be a boarder SECURITY stop...not how much shit did you buy today.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #2272
MG1

Might be because of smugglers and whatnot. If people were honest, law abiding citizens, there would be no issues. I remember the days you could drive down to the US without a passport. The amount of illegal stuff that crosses between borders today, even with the checkpoints, is insane. Everything from drugs and guns to animal parts and invasive species.

At least with Nexus, you are fingerprinted and a criminal check is done. Apparently, quite a few people's applications are denied/rejected.

Who knows................

I'm playing this song every day now, gulolol.

Spoiler!

Too bad they stopped airing, "Border Security," television series. I used to watch that show for shits and giggles.

Last edited by MG1; 07-26-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #2273
Performance Moderator

Anyone go to In/Out Parcel in PR today?

I had something delivered today but got no email from them, have a couple other things to pick up, was going to head there tonight to get everything at once....but now their website says it's been suspended by the provider when you go to it... and nobody picks up when I called.

Kinda concerned
Old 07-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #2274
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Anyone go to In/Out Parcel in PR today?

I had something delivered today but got no email from them, have a couple other things to pick up, was going to head there tonight to get everything at once....but now their website says it's been suspended by the provider when you go to it... and nobody picks up when I called.

Kinda concerned
works again
Old 08-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #2275

So now politicians on both sides of the border are calling arrivecan a complete joke and a barrier to tourism etc.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/can...box=1659567257

It’s there for a good reason though. Keep using it