REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #2201
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
As far as border guards are concerned, that's a different story. Something about people in authority in the US as opposed to here. Power tripping to the nth degree. I think to be a border guard in the US, you have to pass an asshole test. If you fail, they train you hard, harder, and hardest, to get you to that level of assholiness. In Canada, border guards are polite and respectful.
typically i have the exact opposite interaction. US is easy on the way down, canadians not so much on the way up
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #2202
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,451 Times in 5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
typically i have the exact opposite interaction. US is easy on the way down, canadians not so much on the way up
Me too, coming back home is never a warm welcome even when it's easy.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #2203
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I think you need to be an old Asian guy to get the chummy, chummy treatment. Smiles from the hotties (can't say there are any females hot or not in the US), welcome back messages, etc. I get the "Sir," treatment.

Going down, I get the "What the fuck are you doing here?" treatment. There's this one older dude with a handle bar, moustache who just loves to give me grief.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #2204
Performance Moderator

I'm also white, so the American guys never hassle me lol

One thing I really hate about CBSA vs CBP... CBSA will keep people at the booth for fucking ever... like if there's a problem, write them up and send them inside and get the damn line moving. CBP guys as soon as they don't like something, refer you inside... next in line please. Let the people who get sent in wait but move the cars.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #2205
MG1

Yeah, notice that too.

On another topic, when I pick lines coming back home, I try to avoid lines with trucks, vans, RV's and Riced out cars. BTW, I'm still waiting for my Nexus interview. Going to be three years since I applied in August. I have interview in July at the Blaine Enrolment Center. Knowing my luck, the borders will be closed for one reason or another.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #2206
MG1

While I was down in the Seattle area, I took note of how many people were wearing masks. I was surprised to see a fair number of people wearing them. I would say, depending on the situation/place, about 25 to 30% Some places, none, while others quite a bit. Anyhow, Ikea workers were all wearing masks. Maybe because the first reported case of Covid in the United States of America was in Washington State. Straight from Wuhan to Snohomish County via Sea-Tac.

Yeah, Monique Ming Laven is a fine reporter. Award winning at that. Jessica Oh............. meh!

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...shington-state

Check out the link......... I was in Bellingham when the news story hit. I immediately dropped what I was doing and went straight to Hardware Sales and purchased a few boxes of 3M masks. At that time, the news reported the man was from Kent, Washington. That changed quickly. Now it's someone from Snohomish County.

First time we beat the US in something............ scratch that.......... 4 days apart and the US wins!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8536383/c...d-2-years-ago/

Also straight from Wuhan.

Quote:
The officials sat crammed together as they said that the risk to the public as a whole was low.

Last edited by MG1; 05-17-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #2207
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Has anyone crossed the border and left their car there? I need to bring my car down to the States for some warranty work. Will I get hassled at the border? Cuz I'm leaving the car there or taxed coming back?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #2208
Performance Moderator

If it was me, I would probably stick to a "I'm going shopping at the outlets / I'm coming back from shopping at the outlets" story and leave it at that. Same thing when you go back to pick it up. Telling your actual story to border guards often just ends in pain and they have very little understanding or patience for anyone doing anything "unusual"...

That said, you shouldn't get taxed if you didn't pay anything.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #2209
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Has anyone crossed the border and left their car there? I need to bring my car down to the States for some warranty work. Will I get hassled at the border? Cuz I'm leaving the car there or taxed coming back?
Don't see any issues with this. Their main concerns are:

A) if you're bringing something back you're not supposed to
B) if you need to be taxed on anything you can bring back

I know someone that left their vehicle down there for months ( also had some work done to it ). Drove it back no questions asked.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #2210
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
As long as it's not a JDM car you'll be fine lol
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #2211
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

We would like to travel to Hawaii this summer. Passport office is backed up. We have a 2 year old.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
I am reading online that "U.S. and Canadian citizen infants are not required to have a passport for travel by land or sea - although they are required to present a copy of a birth certificate ". This would allow us to enter into USA, and then fly, without a passport for our boy.

Anyone does this?
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:37 AM   #2212
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
If traveling by air, an unexpired Passport is required for everyone, including infants. Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Non-citizens Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States.

My guess would be that the child would need a passport. Even though you originally arrived in America by land you'd still be flying from America and entering America by air.

It'll probably be a complete headache but should probably attempt to get a passport just in case it's needed.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #2213
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
what ID will you present for your son at the airport?

i think that's your biggest hurdle moreso than returning to canada by land
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #2214
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
We would like to travel to Hawaii this summer. Passport office is backed up. We have a 2 year old.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
I am reading online that "U.S. and Canadian citizen infants are not required to have a passport for travel by land or sea - although they are required to present a copy of a birth certificate ". This would allow us to enter into USA, and then fly, without a passport for our boy.

Anyone does this?
You can mail in the application, it beats camping out in front of a building (although you could realistically do that).

What you're describing (driving down to Blaine, then flying) falls under one of those "technically yes, but realistically do you risk it" categories, because if you're unlucky and you meet one agent/employee having a bad day and your entire vacation is ruined. Yes you can stand there and show them the thing on your phone but is it really worth it.

FWIW we mailed in our application late April and still haven't gotten it, but we were told 8 to 10 weeks for processing and then shipping it to us.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #2215
MG1

Forgot to mention this, but two weeks ago, I forgot to take USD with me. Like wtf, right? I was at Winco when I realized, no greenbacks, just Monopoly money. I had groceries with me and was in the self serve line up. I was about to take everything back when I realized they take cards now. I whip out the ol’ Home Trust Visa card. I get the, “Card not accepted,” message. Dude comes over and says, “Sorry, debit only.” I explain I have no US currency. He tells me they take Canadian cash. Nice! Exchange rate was decent and I got change in USD. I do have an Arch Card, but I use cash to pay for my fix of US McD’s. The cash came in handy. For gas and shopping at Costco, Trader Joe’s, Fred Meyer, etc. I use the Home Trust Visa card.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #2216
I STILL don't get it

Just a heads up for anyone heading down for groceries, apparently no raw poultry or eggs are allowed across the border back into Canada until further notice. Costco and Winco both had signs up.
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #2217
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
I'm traveling August 1st and my son's passport just expired. I had an appointment this morning at a Service Canada office and they told me the earliest the passport would be ready would be mid-August. So I've decided to camp out overnight in front of a passport office (the shit we do for our kids...).

Where would you do it - Sinclair Centre in Vancouver, or Cooney Rd in Richmond?

Edit: nevermind, i'll probably go to the Richmond location, easier to find parking nearby...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 06-13-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #2218
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm traveling August 1st and my son's passport just expired. I had an appointment this morning at a Service Canada office and they told me the earliest the passport would be ready would be mid-August. So I've decided to camp out overnight in front of a passport office (the shit we do for our kids...).

Where would you do it - Sinclair Centre in Vancouver, or Cooney Rd in Richmond?

Edit: nevermind, i'll probably go to the Richmond location, easier to find parking nearby...
Go Vancouver or Surrey. Only those 2 locations in the lower mainland can make passports.

If you go to Richmond and ask to pick it up, you'd be directed to Sinclair. And do ask to pick it up ($20 or $25 fee IIRC)... you don't want to risk with Canada POSt when you are cutting close.

To save yourself some trouble, go line-up to Vancouver or Surrey at 6AM in the morning. I just noticed that my son's passport had expired the other day and I was able to do it at Surrey location. Had to line up for 4hours (made there at 6, out around 10), but picking it up in 2 weeks.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #2219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Go Vancouver or Surrey. Only those 2 locations in the lower mainland can make passports.

If you go to Richmond and ask to pick it up, you'd be directed to Sinclair. And do ask to pick it up ($20 or $25 fee IIRC)... you don't want to risk with Canada POSt when you are cutting close.

To save yourself some trouble, go line-up to Vancouver or Surrey at 6AM in the morning. I just noticed that my son's passport had expired the other day and I was able to do it at Surrey location. Had to line up for 4hours (made there at 6, out around 10), but picking it up in 2 weeks.
Ok thanks for the tips. Will definitely ask for the pick up service. What day did you go?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 06-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #2220
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Binswood View Post
Just a heads up for anyone heading down for groceries, apparently no raw poultry or eggs are allowed across the border back into Canada until further notice. Costco and Winco both had signs up.
LOL, I was at Costco this morning.......... they had some guy standing there like a JW, holding up a sign. People were squinting to try and read it. Some people thought he was begging for food or money.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #2221
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Ok thanks for the tips. Will definitely ask for the pick up service. What day did you go?
I went there Friday morning.

The line up started at the further side (KGB side) of the parking lot. Near the opening time (8:30), there were people from Passport Canada to tell us to move the line (toward the mall side) and the line were split in 2, the longer one for applications, and another one for people who already have application in and are submitting more stuff/making changes.

Once you are inside is fairly quick. (less than an hour) You line up first to get your number, and then just wait in the seating area.

Just bring a folding chair and a book or something. The time actually goes by quite quickly. I was lucky that it wasn't raining. There was a dude in the line saying that his brother had to do the same lineup in rain.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I went there Friday morning.

The line up started at the further side (KGB side) of the parking lot. Near the opening time (8:30), there were people from Passport Canada to tell us to move the line (toward the mall side) and the line were split in 2, the longer one for applications, and another one for people who already have application in and are submitting more stuff/making changes.

Once you are inside is fairly quick. (less than an hour) You line up first to get your number, and then just wait in the seating area.

Just bring a folding chair and a book or something. The time actually goes by quite quickly. I was lucky that it wasn't raining. There was a dude in the line saying that his brother had to do the same lineup in rain.
Thanks again for the info. I was there this morning at 4:50am (already around 40 people in the lineup already!) and left 6 hours later at 10:50am with a pickup slip in 2 weeks time.

Glad this is over for now!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #2223
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
On my son's passport receipt, it indicates an estimated date of June 16th for it to be mailed out.

Typically how many days or weeks am I expected to receive the passport after the estimated date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #2224
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
On my son's passport receipt, it indicates an estimated date of June 16th for it to be mailed out.

Typically how many days or weeks am I expected to receive the passport after the estimated date?
Where do you get a passport receipt?
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #2225
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Where do you get a passport receipt?
I submitted my application in person at Service Canada (non specialized passport location)

Was given an invoice indicating estimated mail out date.

Also a file number too if I want to further inquire the status of passport application
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote