REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Teacher rapes 14yr old (who kills herself) Teacher gets 30 day sentence

Sentence Shock: Just 30 Days For Teacher Who Raped Student | TIME.com

Quote:
Sentence Shock: Just 30 Days For Teacher Who Raped Student

A judge suspended the rest of the 15-year sentence in the rape of a student who later committed suicide

By Noah Rayman Aug. 27, 2013

A Montana teacher convicted of raping a 14-year-old student who later committed suicide will serve just 30 days in prison after a judge suspended almost his entire 15-year sentence.

The student’s mother, who had previously testified that the rape was a “major factor” in her daughter Cherice Morales’s suicide, repeatedly screamed “you people suck!” during sentencing on Monday before storming out, the Billings Gazette reports.

The teacher, Stacey Dean Rambold, was charged in 2008 with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent. He pleaded guilty to one count, but the case was complicated by the girl’s suicide just weeks before her 17th birthday. Rambold was ordered to complete a sex-offender treatment program to have the charges dismissed, but prosecutors revived the case when they learned he had been terminated from the program.

The judge, who said Morales was “as much in control of the situation” as Rambold, said that the teacher’s termination from the program did not warrant the lengthy imprisonment. He suspended all but 31 days of the 15-year sentence — and gave Rambold credit for one day already served.

It's on CNN currently if you flip over you may catch it

Former teacher in Montana gets 30 days in jail for raping student who later committed suicide - The Washington Post

Quote:
BILLINGS, Mont. — A former Billings Senior High School teacher who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old student who later killed herself has been sentenced to 30 days in jail by a judge who said the victim was “older than her chronological age” and “as much in control of the situation” as the teacher.

District Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison for sexual intercourse without consent, with all but 31 days suspended. He gave Rambold credit for one day already served, The Billings Gazette reported (Former Senior High teacher gets 30 days for rape of student ).

The girl’s mother repeatedly screamed, “You people suck!” and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.

Rambold, now 54, was charged in October 2008 with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent alleging that he had an ongoing sexual relationship with Cherice Morales, starting the previous year when she was 14.

Morales took her own life in February 2010 while the case was pending.

In July 2010, Rambold entered a three-year deferred prosecution agreement with prosecutors that said the charges would be dismissed if Rambold completed a sex offender treatment program and met other conditions, including having no contact with children. He also admitted to one rape charge.

The case was revived last December when prosecutors learned Rambold had been terminated from the sex offender treatment program.

Treatment provider Michael Sullivan said Rambold started missing meetings in August 2012, but Sullivan said he met with Rambold and he appeared to be back on track with his treatment.

Rambold was terminated from the program in November when it was learned that he had been having unsupervised visits with minors, who were family members, and did not inform counselors that he had been having sexual relations with a woman.

Defense attorney Jay Lansing said Rambold has since continued his treatment with a different program and an evaluation found him at low risk to re-offend.

Baugh said he was not convinced that the reasons for Rambold’s termination from treatment were serious enough to warrant the 10-year prison term prosecutors recommended.

The judge said he listened to statements given by Morales before her death and believed that while she was a troubled youth, she was “as much in control of the situation” as Rambold and was “older than her chronological age.”

Yellowstone County Attorney Scott Twito told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he would not appeal the judge’s sentence.

“We respect the court’s sentencing decision. We obviously disagree with it, based on the recommendations my attorneys made, but it appears to be legally permissible,” he said.

Asked about Baugh’s reasoning that a 14-year-old girl below the state’s age of consent had an equal share of control of the relationship, Twito declined to answer directly.

“The judge’s reasons are his reasons and his reasons alone. He has broad authority under state law, given the proper criteria,” Twito said.

The case resulted in a $91,000 wrongful death settlement between the school district and Morales’ family.

Rambold reached a confidential settlement with the girl’s family.
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-29-2013 at 03:44 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
the way the title of this thread was written, I thought a Teacher killed herself then got a 30 day sentence... i was totally had to read it a few times.

RIP.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
i think they throw the word rape around too easily these days.

also... what's the full story.

if a troubled youth encounters an adult and an altercation occurs... and 3 years later they commit suicide... can that adult be convicted for something?

what about the 3 years in between? (and before as well)... what if the kid was so fucked in the head that suicide would have happened regardless of the encounter.

I knew a kid that jumped off the burrard bridge, he was always fucked in the head since elementary. stereotypical troubled youth. this aint no east side ghetto either. west side, nice neighbourhood. like 2 decades later he commits suicide. can we blame every person that he's had a bad encounter with for that suicide? are we just looking for someone to blame?

i mean, dont get me wrong, he shouldnt be fucking 14 year olds. but it doesn't automatically mean we should blame him for her suicide. maybe... just maybe she was just fucked in the head.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
are you implying this was not rape?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I just want to be clear here...you are taking the side of the teacher in this story?

Throwing the word rape around too easily? She's 14, its rape.

It's black rape, it's white rape, its purple rape, its rape with her permission, its rape without her permission, its rape with a fucking bow on it.

Rape rape rape rape rape.

RAPE.

An adult fucking a 14 year old is rape. Actually, you should like it as its not a his word vs. hers questionable type thing. It's black and white...fucking rape.

She could be laying on the bed saying, "Fuck me, Mr. teacher" with her legs spread and...survey says?

Rapey!

Quote:

also... what's the full story.

if a troubled youth encounters an adult and an altercation occurs... and 3 years later they commit suicide... can that adult be convicted for something?

what about the 3 years in between? (and before as well)... what if the kid was so fucked in the head that suicide would have happened regardless of the encounter.

I knew a kid that jumped off the burrard bridge, he was always fucked in the head since elementary. stereotypical troubled youth. this aint no east side ghetto either. west side, nice neighbourhood. like 2 decades later he commits suicide. can we blame every person that he's had a bad encounter with for that suicide? are we just looking for someone to blame?

i mean, dont get me wrong, he shouldnt be fucking 14 year olds. but it doesn't automatically mean we should blame him for her suicide. maybe... just maybe she was just fucked in the head.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^^

Thanked for the good chuckle that issued after reading your post.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
uliq i suggest you back off now...

you cannot possibly take on both those 2 at the same time
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
I keep RS good

uh huh.

so if i fuck your slutty 14 year old daughter that willingly seduced me

vs

if i brutally force myself into a woman while she screams in agony and is trying to get away from me.

both are rape i guess. for the people that have a very limited vocabulary. lol.

oh second example i stick a tire iron up her cunt too. and my buddies stick it in her pooper.

yeah, i am implying its not rape. and so is the judge. idiots.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
I keep RS good

the age of consent is subjective. it could be illegal in one country and normal in another.

it doesn't matter if the man "raped" her or not... that's not the point i was trying to make

REGARDLESS OF WHETHER HE RAPED HER OR NOT, HER SUICIDE IS NOT TO BE IMMEDIATELY BLAMED ON HIM. doesn't matter if he's an excon that murdered 100 people and tortured kittens for fun.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
IMO, there should be some middle ground.

A grown adult not having the good judgment to resist some slutty under-age girl going after him is wrong and should be punished.

A grown adult who has a friend hold that same slutty girl down and fucks her against her will is also wrong and should be punished.

Both those things are wrong. But I agree with Ulic that while they're both wrong, they're not the same thing and as such the penalties should be different. And apparently the judge also agreed. Statutory rape and and rape by the traditional definition are different charges for a reason, they just both happen to have the word "rape" in the name.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

To anyone that even wants to think about the slutiness of the 14 year old, or how "she fucking wanted it" or dressed for it, or paid for it, or did a little movie style blackmail for it, let's define the term "statutory rape"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape
A good rapin' doesn't always need the duct tape.

Rapey Rapey Rapey Rapey Rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post

Fuck off with this shit.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

The point I wanted to make when I posted this, but didn't have the time to, is this is one of many examples showing that the US Justice System isn't any better than Canadas since people always love to put down Canada and praise the US system

I can understand what Ulic is trying to say here but the laws the law, under a determined age (that changes between states and countries and time) it's rape regardless of the circumstances
The law doesn't define "yeah this is kinda sorta rape since she's a minor but not really though since she liked it so you can go home" (what the judge did here)
The laws black and white for this topic and he raped her (you can argue if that's right or wrong)

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-29-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
I keep RS good

so the guy "statutory raped" her.

so you guys blame him for her suicide?

I'm not on his side. If he were here right now and i was his laywer... i'd shake my head at him... i'd tell him what an idiot he was. if he wanted to get his rocks off he coulda hired a hooker. if he liked little girls, he shoulda at least flown to another place where he could get away with it.
either way, as a man, he failed at doing what he wanted to do, and he failed at getting away with it, he fails at a lot of things. LOL. he's a loser.

that is a completely separate issue from the girl's suicide.
what if they found out she fucked other men? what if she woulda killed herself regardless of who she seduced.

the man is a loser for doing what he did.

and the girl was probably a bigger loser and if she didn't kill herself, she'd definitely grow up to be a bigger loser.

listen, if i were 14 again and i could seduce my hot teacher... i would. and i would know exactly what the fuck i was doing. everything i did when i was 14 i knew exactly what i was doing and what consequences there were.

if i choose to kill myself after, that's my own problem.

look at the big picture, no matter what under the law he's gonna get viewed as a "rapist". even if they were totally in love, even if she drugged him and strapped him down and "raped" him. he, under gridlock and dinosaurs mentality, would still have technically "raped" her. he CANNOT win.

plus back to the original topic... obviously the judge sees this predicament. and lowered his sentence.

and obviously, there's a focus on the fact that she's a troubled youth. you can't blame everyone the baby shits on before it takes a fall.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
My apologies. This WAS insightful!

Last edited by Gridlock; 08-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
so the guy "statutory raped" her.

so you guys blame him for her suicide?

I'm not on his side. If he were here right now and i was his laywer... i'd shake my head at him... i'd tell him what an idiot he was. if he wanted to get his rocks off he coulda hired a hooker. if he liked little girls, he shoulda at least flown to another place where he could get away with it.
either way, as a man, he failed at doing what he wanted to do, and he failed at getting away with it, he fails at a lot of things. LOL. he's a loser.

that is a completely separate issue from the girl's suicide.
what if they found out she fucked other men? what if she woulda killed herself regardless of who she seduced.

the man is a loser for doing what he did.

and the girl was probably a bigger loser and if she didn't kill herself, she'd definitely grow up to be a bigger loser.

listen, if i were 14 again and i could seduce my hot teacher... i would. and i would know exactly what the fuck i was doing. everything i did when i was 14 i knew exactly what i was doing and what consequences there were.

if i choose to kill myself after, that's my own problem.

look at the big picture, no matter what under the law he's gonna get viewed as a "rapist". even if they were totally in love, even if she drugged him and strapped him down and "raped" him. he, under gridlock and dinosaurs mentality, would still have technically "raped" her. he CANNOT win.

plus back to the original topic... obviously the judge sees this predicament. and lowered his sentence.

and obviously, there's a focus on the fact that she's a troubled youth. you can't blame everyone the baby shits on before it takes a fall.
OK! We're never going to agree so have fun.

Please never introduce yourself to my daughter.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Please never introduce yourself to my daughter.
shouldn't mention that that invites all sorts of comments
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
lol someone needs a chill pill. chill the fuk out
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Excellent addition to the thread.

Thanks for popping in and adding icons anytime someone says something negative about a member, ANY member.

It's very mod like.

"Here, let me fuel those fires so I can put them out!"

So
Complains about an emoticon reply.

Replies with an emoticon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
Complains about an emoticon reply.

Replies with an emoticon.

It's happened before. Same icon, same circumstance. Same reason.

If he wants to add something on topic...go nuts.

If YOU want to add something on topic...go nuts.

BUT we're all here for one thing, and one thing only, and its not the discussion of the days events...let's share the link around, and get everyone to come on in. My mistake this time. I'll correct it.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
This post should not be misconstrued as "El Bastardo supports rape"

Statutory rape is an arbitrary thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America
Consensual sex becomes statutory rape when you cross an invisible line demarcating two territories. This is the law at the most basic level. Prior to 2008 the sexual relationship between those two would have been legally permissable if they were both in Canada.

Also, I think some of you are missing one important part of the story here:

Quote:
A Yellowstone County district judge Monday ordered a former Senior High teacher convicted of raping a 14-year-old female student who later committed suicide to spend 30 days in jail.

Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison, with all but 31 days suspended, for sexual intercourse without consent.

Rambold, 54, will be given credit for one day already served. He was handcuffed and led to jail at the close of the hearing.
If this guy runs afoul of the law he will do that time. Its not as if he was only given 30 days and thats that. Yes, it sucks that he isn't incarcerated for that decade and a half, but hes still serving a lengthy sentence.

Also, don't take this as "El Bastardo says rape is a-ok" but Ulic isn't wrong with what hes saying here.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Fuck off with this shit.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #23

anyways back on topic :

have you not interacted with 14 year olds when you were in high school?

yea they young but damn they slooty
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

All opinions and bias aside, food for thought: What would you do if a 14 year old girl which is your student seduced you?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
All opinions and bias aside, food for thought: What would you do if a 14 year old girl which is your student seduced you?
Run. 14 or not, shes a female. As soon as shes not happy with you she'll turn on you and send you down the river. The age thing is just added leverage for them.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: