REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Girl blows through a red, kills two, is found not guilty of D.D causing death

Thoughts?

Accidents happen but maybe she should have got a driving ban for a year.

Bieber concert crash driver not guilty - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
Family members of two young people killed on their way home by a speeding car from a Justin Bieber concert in Vancouver three years ago say they cannot believe the driver was found not guilty of dangerous driving causing death.

Andelina Hecimovic, now 26, was charged with two counts of dangerous driving causing death after Johnny deOliveira, 21, and Beckie Dyer, 19, were killed when the Toyota driven by Hecimovic skidded, flipped over and slammed into their Suzuki Swift in Pitt Meadows, B.C.

"Their lives were worth something. She can walk and breathe and get married and have babies and we don't get that. We will not ever see that," says Audrey deOliveira.
Beiber concert crash victims

Johnny deOliveira, 21, and Beckie Dyer, 19, were killed when the Toyota driven by Andelina Hecimovic skidded, flipped over and slammed into their Suzuki Swift in Pitt Meadows three years ago. (CBC)

At the trial earlier this month, crash investigators alleged Hecimovic was driving aggressively on the night of the crash.

But Hecimovic testified she was distraught because of events at work that night and failed to see the lights at the intersection through her tears after making a lane change.

But speaking outside the courtroom on Wednesday, the victims' families said they didn't buy Hecimovic's defence, saying the verdict sends a dangerous message to drivers.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If you're crying hard enough to not see lights, you should be pulling over until you're finished. Bullshit excuse imo.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

The Canadian justice system is a joke, I'm pretty sure the motorcyclist that hit the 3 girls in Surrey killing one of them will get off with a slap on the wrist even through he may have been speeding.
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

.. what the fuck, how in the hell are her tears a legit defence, what a fucking joke.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
If you're crying hard enough to not see lights, you should be pulling over until you're finished. Bullshit excuse imo.
Agreed.

I was driving last week and some sweat/sun screen mixed and went in my eye. It stung like a b@#$@, but did I keep driving? No. Sensible thing dictates to pull over asap, compose yourself and drive again.

Long drive? Sleepy? Do you keep driving? No.....that's dumb, pull over at a rest stop.

This excuse is definitely lame. I'd like to know her lawyer's name. I'd like his business card in case....
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Bieber is guilty.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanzzz View Post
The Canadian justice system is a joke, I'm pretty sure the motorcyclist that hit the 3 girls in Surrey killing one of them will get off with a slap on the wrist even through he may have been speeding.
Whatever happened to people being considered innocent before proven guilty?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

can't see through her tears.. how did that even win the case for her
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Judges handing out slap on the wrist light sentences on guilty verdicts is one thing (and that's already a joke in itself). Getting off scotch free after excessive speeding, blowing through a red light, paying no attention during lane changes, and killing 2 people in the process just takes our Canadian judicial system to a whole new (low) level.

Our current justice and attorney general is the Liberal's Suzanne Anton. I have absolutely no faith in her abilities. It is pointless to complain to her about how ridiculous the ruling turned out.

On a different note, can someone confirm that the verdict was decided on by the judge? And who might that judge be? From the news reports, I seem to get the impression that there wasn't a jury involved with this case.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

....way to go justice system... you've now just set a new history of precedent.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
great... now every DD will use this excuse in court to try and get off any charges..
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Agreed.

I was driving last week and some sweat/sun screen mixed and went in my eye. It stung like a b@#$@, but did I keep driving? No. Sensible thing dictates to pull over asap, compose yourself and drive again.

Long drive? Sleepy? Do you keep driving? No.....that's dumb, pull over at a rest stop.

This excuse is definitely lame. I'd like to know her lawyer's name. I'd like his business card in case....
Women are not logical.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Well look at the bright side, if you ever do something completely fucking stupid here you can walk into court feeling pretty confident that the worst thing that'll happen to you is an article in the paper making everyone angry.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
scotch free
scot free.

Scot is an old-world term for tax, so the saying is literally saying "getting away with it tax free" meaning without payment, which has been changed slightly to "getting away with something without payment or penalty"

Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanzzz View Post
You're a fucking retard. The 3 girls JAYWALKED IN FRONT OF HIM. Every single media report I have heard lately has been like "1 girl has died, 2 girls are still in the hospital"... no mention of the fact that the motorcyclist is also in the hospital.

There was literally a mother of somebody else in the school on the radio this morning quoted as saying "kids are going to jaywalk, the speed limits should be lowered to reflect this." The whole reason that elementary schools have 30km/h school zones and high schools do not is because by the time you are in high school you should be able to figure out how to look both ways FFS.

Mark
Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Justin Bieber spat on her. Charge Bieber for assault.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
You're a fucking retard. The 3 girls JAYWALKED IN FRONT OF HIM. Every single media report I have heard lately has been like "1 girl has died, 2 girls are still in the hospital"... no mention of the fact that the motorcyclist is also in the hospital.

There was literally a mother of somebody else in the school on the radio this morning quoted as saying "kids are going to jaywalk, the speed limits should be lowered to reflect this." The whole reason that elementary schools have 30km/h school zones and high schools do not is because by the time you are in high school you should be able to figure out how to look both ways FFS.

Mark
jesus christ. some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids... "kids are going to jaywalk, the speed limits should be lowered to reflect this"
how bout you teach your grown ass kids not to jaywalk, and if they still do stupid shit, then tough luck, darwin
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

Mark
The goal we seem to have is to put enough padding in front of everyone and anyone, kids especially and protect them from this dark evil world.

Shit fucking happens.

It's sad, we cry...we move on.

We can't prevent every accident, and we can't always be 100% on 100% of the time.

I'm so tired of the war on handheld devices, and the need to have a speed limit of 20 kph...with handy dandy fat ass fines to teach you a lesson and a bunch of fucking robots parroting out the same words every chance they get to admonish you for the the things they do themselves.

I can't drive a single day without noticing a pedestrian just walking, right of way or not to make sure that they have been seen and noticed and its safe to go. I'm not saying you should have to...I'm saying you should want to. That's an ounce of personal protection you should take upon yourself. My mom taught me that when I was 5.

"Look both ways before you cross the street"

That to me doesn't say, "sub-paragraph 2, not needed when you are in a crosswalk because fuck cars man, its your world right now. They have to stop, because someone painted lines on the road...what the hell man! I'm walking here! Didn't you see me, I jumped off the sidewalk wearing all black at night"

Checking who called while you are at a red light isn't going to kill kittens.

Doing 65 in a 50 when there is no traffic isn't going to kill kittens.

Drinking a beer in a park when you aren't a raging alcoholic or douche isn't going to kill kittens.

And a dose of personal responsibility can save your life...Stop always putting it in other people's hands.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Whatever happened to people being considered innocent before proven guilty?
Once you get on a motorcycle, in the public eye you're guilty of everything you've done, are doing, or might do in the future.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

She was doing 130 KM/H in a 80, that right there would be enough for any of us to have the book thrown at us. Cars were stopped at the RED light so she moved into the right turn only lane and blasted through the intersection hitting a median and smoking the other car, killing 2. NOT GUILTY???

One of the judges excuses/comments was (paraphrasing) "It's known that cars usually speed through this stretch of road." So that makes it legit now?

Also, he commented that the car did not further accelerate when going through the intersection. No shit you dumb fuck, her car was probably already at max speed, it's a Toyota.

So if you maintain your excessive speed, blow through a red light, in a lane that doesn't even go through the intersection, say "just having a bad day", unfamiliar with the intersection (even though you regularly travel through it) and you never saw the lights. All will be well.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ The judge in this case is a she -- Madam Justice J. Miriam Gropper.

As I read through that name, I can't help but feel disgusted by her title. "Justice Gropper". Where the fxxk is the justice in the ruling that she handed out?!
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Bullshit ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
if justin bieber wasn't alive, these 2 folks would still be!!

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
I don't get it

fucking joke.