REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

What do you guys think about the 2014 ILX?

Hi guys,

Im planning to get the ILX, what do you guys think about this car?

anything i should know?

thanks
Advertisement
hkfung is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I think they look hideous. Just my opinion though. They tried to make it a mid level car but I think they missed the mark. I would go for the TSX V6
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

in a nutshell, a sugar coated civic.
'98 EJ8 Civic Si 'DatSi' - (Sold)
'11 MKVI Golf 'Dana' - (Sold)

Active:

'18 F22 230iX' (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Don’t you guys dare bid on my gay car. I’ll stab you
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
It's not bad but hold out if you can for 2015 to see if they make the 2.4 the standard engine across all trims cuz the other 150hp one is pathetic.

http://ilx.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=382
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I think they look hideous. Just my opinion though. They tried to make it a mid level car but I think they missed the mark. I would go for the TSX V6
i wouldn't say its hideous. It may be rather bland yes.

This is hideous…

Anyways, OP i would get a TSX even if it means getting it a year or two older. You get more bang for your buck. I bought mine in june and love it so far….the only beef i have with it is body roll but thats nothing some springs or coils can't fix.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,273 Times in 1,967 Posts
The only car I know of that competes with the ILX is the Buick Verano. You can get it very nicely equipped BEFORE hitting ILX pricing. Just an FYI.

You can also get it with a turbo which will propel the car to 100 in about 6.1 sec. You can get it with a 6spd MANUAL

Sleeper

<timpo>

</timpo>
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Dealer has loaned one to me a couple times and it's a pretty crap piece of car for the money. No power, cheap interior, lack of sound insulation. The Focus and 3 are both better cars than the ILX for less money while the TSX and Verano are both scads better for the same money.

It's incredible that anyone buys the ILX when dealers have TSXs selling for pennies more (lots of cash discounts for TSXs right now).
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Not worth. The top of the line model is essentially a gussied-up Civic Si without an LSD. I guess what Acura/Honda was trying to achieve with the ILX is create a no-frills sporty alternative? The interior certainly makes it seem that way. I personally don't mind how it looks, the interior design is quite nice and somewhat driver focused, minus the quality of materials. I'd rather get a Civic Si though honestly.

Like many other people members have mentioned above, TSX > ILX.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ILX Hybrid is not bad
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Definitely an improvement over the old CSX and I do like the interior. Like everyone else said though I would get the TSX instead.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I'd rather have a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus than the supposedly more upscale ILX.

Acura's brand isn't worth as much as Mercedes, BMW, Audi that they can charge just for the badge, which is what they seem to be doing here.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
It's not bad but hold out if you can for 2015 to see if they make the 2.4 the standard engine across all trims cuz the other 150hp one is pathetic.

Acura ILX Discussion - AcuraZine Community
As I understand it the 2.4 and the auto can't fit underneath the hood of the ILX and I can't see Honda spending the money to re-engineer the front end for a mid cycle refresh of a low volume, low margin car. I doubt the K20 motor and auto would fit under there either.

Possibly a more likely option is to squeeze another 15hp out of the R20 motor. At least it'd be semi-competitive instead of a being a total dog.

Honda would be better off starting over IMO. Not sure they want to pump up the Civic platform enough to make it entry lux worthy or if they can shrink the Accord platform enough to produce a compact size entry level car (like the 1G TSX).
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
mazda 3 is the better buy.

The CSX was a better built and sorted out car than the ILX is, lets just put it at that.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Sorry, looks like ass.

Not my cup of tea.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
I've always looked at the ILX as a Civic with an Acura badge. No bueno for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
at least the interior is not a civic with a acura airbag anymore lol
jpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
R20 motor putting out 150HP which requires premium gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #18

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
i find it similar to the lexus CT200h.. which is basically a prius with leather and hids.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
Meow

When I traded my 2011 honda civic in, the ILX seemed like a good looking replacement. After seeing one in person, it just seemed like a glorified civic to me. For less than the price of a brand new ILX, I got a 2010 acura tsx v6. I have zero regrets and the fuel consumption for the v6 isn't too bad and definitely worth it for the extra power.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #20

1st Generation Acura ILX Reviews - AcuraZine Community

Acurazine has loads of info there. Check it out.
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Here is my review. I'm someone who actually drives the car from time to time, rather than sitting home and hop on bandwagons and smash cars.

In short: I think it's a nice car with almost everything you can think of but it is SLIGHTLY overpriced for what it is.

----

My review:

My sister in law bought the ILX A/T when it was first released. After 1 year + of ownership, she has no complaints.

I actually went with her to test drive a couple cars before she decided on this ILX,
A comparison:

Hyundai Elantra (handling is garbage, can't feel anything... felt like no feedback at all.)
Hyundai Sonata (handling is garbage, can't feel anything... felt like no feedback at all.)
Hyundai Veloster Turbo (was one of the top picks, but the 1 door 2 door thing is a huge no no)
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T (also one of the top picks, but she decided 4 door is the only way to go)
*2013 Nissan Altima (It was either this or the ILX, I picked this one because of how well built it was and how much more features you get for the same price. She liked the ILX's design more.)
Scion FRS (did not want, she wanted leather interior and an interior that feels comfortable/higher class)
*BMW F30 328i (Third pick, loved it. Power was there, handling was there, looks were there. 50% more expensive kinda threw her off.)
*BMW F30 320i (Same as above, but 33% more expensive.)
Infiniti G37XS (Car felt too heavy, not as "easy" to drive. In other words, too sporty. Bad gas mileage for the power. Why would she get this if she could get the F30 328i x-drive for the same price?)
Acura TL (Similar to the G37XS, was cheaper so it made it more attractive. Gas mileage and price difference.)
Mercedes C250 (Bad)

The * indicates what I voted for.

What I think of the ILX:

I've owned only a few cars:
1998 corrola, E46 sedan, g35 sedan, 370z, F10 5-series, X3 and a ML.

Test drove all the cars listed above on the same day as when I test drove the ILX.

Comfort/Interior: When I sit in it, it feels luxurious. Interior feels and looks expensive. Interior looks extremely well built and the black brushed aluminum makes my BMW's interior look dated.

The car is quiet in most occasions unless it goes over a puddle, splashes of puddles can be felt and heard.

The car is smooth on most roads, but a common problem with the ILX is the rear suspension making noise when going over huge potholes.

Power/Handling: Power is weak, but for a woman who just needs to get from point A to point B comfortably this car is perfect for her. Average 9.5l/100km in city only driving, when I drove it slightly aggressively I averaged 10.3l/100km in city only driving.

When I drove the ILX, it is such an easy car to drive. It makes you feel like you can trust the car rather than worrying about anything not functioning the way you want (skidding, harsh impacts on potholes, rattles and etc.). My Nissan/Infini's interior was noisy and made rattling noises since day 1.

For normal daily driving, it has enough power to get you ahead of people easily. Sport mode does nothing besides stall gear changes.

Handling is excellent, little body roll and turning at high speeds is easy. The feedback of the steering wheel feels excellent unlike the lower end Hyundais. The steering is comparable to the BMW F30.

Pricing/Features:

The car was fully loaded (dynamic/technology something?) with every optional features added including the aero kit, illuminated door sills and some paint weather package.

Rear view camera is flawless, different angles and night vision is great.

Navigation/Media center is great, audio is better than average with great clarity and bass.

The total came to $31.2k after taxes after a hard bargain.

She had a ton of choices when she was in the 30-45k range.

Finally:

To get a Civic to have almost the same features as this ILX, you're looking at 25k MSRP and you still don't get to have the full leather seats in the ILX. Say you leave the dealership with a fully loaded Civic for $25k after taxes, you pretty much saved 5k from an ILX but you are still losing features.

Not sure if she scored an awesome deal, but if you start adding illuminated door sills (if they even exist for the civic), aero kit, and all the features she has including upgraded luxury wheels, you aren't far away from the ILX price. Besides, who actually thinks the Civic looks nice?

The ILX looks like a more compact and more modern version of the TSX. It also looks like the Sonata from time to time which is not a bad thing as Hyundai has some nice designs on most cars.

Would've loved to compare this with the new IS250 and the Mercedes CLA250, the final choice might have been different.

Only problems I found:
1. Lack of memory seats
2. Lack of folding mirrors
3. Rear suspension noise (I believe the dealer will cover this)

Last edited by charchar; 11-13-2013 at 11:23 PM.
charchar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
How far did you drive on your "test drive"? Obviously couldn't be too far as you drove all those cars on the same day. You can't judge fuel economy by a 20, 40, or even 60+ minute test drive. You need a bunch of tanks of fuel, hand calculated to get an accurate measurement. Also, assuming the ILX you test drove is brand new, correct? After a car is broken in, you WILL see a change in fuel economy.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

All of the cars I test drove were demo cars with an average of 3000 km, only Infiniti gave me one with 10k km. Hyundais were usually brand new cars with less than 1000km.

I literally spent my entire day at the auto mall and around richmond, we did 2 runs per car. Once as a passenger and once as a driver.

And from past experiences, the advertised fuel economy is extremely accurate. +/- 0.5l/100km at most.

P.S. The ILX has 16k km now.
charchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Good review there charchar. As far as comparing to the new is250, the ILX (A/T trim) would not compare well in terms of performance and maybe features.
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Didnt the ILX fail like crazy? Cus i think i read something about them not selling remotely close to the amount projected. Probably didnt help that they literally advertised it as a car equivalent to a mullet
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote