REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #101
G
Banned (BBM)

^Hmm okay, I guess I will have to contact AC. Thanks!
Advertisement
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #102
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
so with those points, is that taxes in?
No. With Aeroplan redemptions, there are several airlines that charge YQ (Fuel surcharge) and several do not. It is totally possible to do some AWESOME trips without paying a dollar in YQ. There were still be a few bucks in airport taxes, etc. but it's totally possible to do a roundtrip to Asia in business class for under $100 a person in taxes/fees.

However, on the other hand, it's also possible to pay HUGE fuel surcharge... i.e. a round-trip YVR-SYD-YVR ticket on Air Canada in business costs whatever number of points plus $1200 in taxes/fees.

My total itinerary is costing me just under $1000 in taxes/fees which is a lot, but I have voluntarily selected to fly Thai and All Nippon first class flights which do add fees. However, the cost to fly my itinerary and try out all these flights would be upwards of $30k (I am aiming for 5 first class flights at the end of the day) so I consider it to be money well spent for an experience I will not be able to easily duplicate.

Mark
Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #103
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Is there specific airlines I should avoid or a better way to use my aeroplan points efficiently?

I recently used my aeroplan points to fly economy to Korea and Tokyo via AC and the fees amounted to about $400. Whereas my buddy who used his United points probably only paid less than $50 in fees.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #104
Old School RS

Here let me go ahead and Google that for you...

Fuel Surcharges on Aeroplan Award Tickets - Canadian Kilometers - Canadian Kilometers

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...el-surcharges/

Also, it is always better value to book premium cabins over economy.

Mark
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #105
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Here let me go ahead and Google that for you...

Fuel Surcharges on Aeroplan Award Tickets - Canadian Kilometers - Canadian Kilometers

It is always better value to book business or first over economy.

Mark
Damn, I got beat! Was about to post that exact same link. :P

Yes, when you look at economy redemptions, the cost will be almost the same as buying the ticket. Much better to do J or F for better value per point.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #106
G
Banned (BBM)

@lowside67: Out of curiosity, how do you get people to sign up with your referral link for cards?

Question for anyone, what are your thoughts on the new CIBC aventura points compared to Aeroplan? I am deciding between which one is worth collecting...

Last edited by G; 03-05-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #107
Old School RS

They are mostly all people I know - friends, family, myself. I have referred two RS members so far.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
@lowside67: Out of curiosity, how do you get people to sign up with your referral link for cards?

Question for anyone, what are your thoughts on the new CIBC aventura points compared to Aeroplan? I am deciding between which one is worth collecting...
I ditched my Aventura Mastercard for the Aerogold Infinite. The Aventura points are not worth it... it's 10,000 points per $100 of plane tickets or hotels so it's basically almost a cashback card. Aeroplan points are better value for money, especially for those expensive domestic routes. 15,000 AP points + taxes/fees gets me to Smithers and back, compared to $500 ticket/50,000 Aventura points.
fml
This post thanked by:
G
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #109
Old School RS

Definitely say no to Aventura. TD points operate on the same basis, basically 1% and limited to travel only... total waste of time. Aeroplan rewards aren't perfect, but for somebody who fits the profile - travels business class, flexible on dates, values multiple stops - they are actually a fantastic redemption vehicle. The 3 stops on ticket allowance is brilliant.

Mark
G
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #110
G
Banned (BBM)

Just to confirm: 3 Stops = 1 layover + destination + 1 layover right?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #111
Old School RS

No. Your ticket can have unlimited <24 hour layovers (these are called "transits"). You can have a destination and two stops of unlimited duration (total ticket cannot exceed 1 year).

Ie my ticket looks like this... I have bolded the stops.

YVR-YYZ (2 hours)
YYZ-IST (12 weeks)
IST-FRA (3 hours)
FRA-BKK (3 weeks)
BKK-HND (2 hours)
HND-FRA (1 week)
FRA-ORD (3 hours)
ORD-YVR

You can also use an open jaw if you like, and you can still only stop at 3 stops, but 2 are implied to be the two sides of the open jaw. This is my second ticket.

IST-ADD (12 hours)
ADD-MBA (9 weeks)
-open jaw-
CPT-JNB (2 hours)
JNB-CAI (6 days)
CAI-IST
G
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #112
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Any opinions on VISA Avion?

I've been contemplating switching to an Aeroplan card instead.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #113
Old School RS

I have an RBC Avion and up until TD releasing Aeroplan Visa cards, it was my go to as it offers UP TO 2% value on your points. However, with the TD Aeroplan Visa cards, I can't see any point to continuing with Avion and will burn my points and switch to TD. It is always better to collect less points in one place than more points but split between two as then you can very seldom use them.

Mark
Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Any opinions on VISA Avion?

I've been contemplating switching to an Aeroplan card instead.
The 50% transfer bonus to BA Avios is good for flying around continental US? Good redemption rates on AA.
fml
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #115
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
I have the infinite avion the way you select flights etc with their online booking is pretty awesome

However I wasn't prepared for the additional fee's when I booked a few flights and taxes + charges were like 120% of the flight itself

Also I've heard that when you get the 1.5 BA miles the BA miles are much harder and limited bookings than using the avion points
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
The 50% transfer bonus to BA Avios is good for flying around continental US? Good redemption rates on AA.
For shorthauls (e.g. NY -> YYZ), it's awesome. There's also some sweet deals on cathay flying out of the states
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Is there specific airlines I should avoid or a better way to use my aeroplan points efficiently?

I recently used my aeroplan points to fly economy to Korea and Tokyo via AC and the fees amounted to about $400. Whereas my buddy who used his United points probably only paid less than $50 in fees.
Off the top of my head:
- United
- Eva
- Singapore
- China Air

LOT apparently has very reasonable scam charges.

If you're flying to asia with aeroplan, look for flights that go out of Seattle, Lax or SFO. The AC flights to those cities dont have surcharges for whatever reason.

The other thing you can do is book a flight with a shitty itinerary with no surcharges. Fly one leg, then change your flight to whatever you want. Of course you risk the chance of there not being the flight..
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #118
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Aegean is a favorite of a lot of Star Alliance flyers, because it takes very little mileage to get Star Alliance Gold status, which is good for accessing airline lounges, priority boarding, extra luggage allowance, priority check-in and so on. The status is also one of the longest lasting - 3 years vs. the usual 1 year for most airline programs. However, you can't really redeem the miles easily.
I agree, I recently started to do *A status from OW and went with Aegean since they have a 1000 status miles bonus sign up, and after one trip from YVR - FCO already gain *Silver, and the rest of the top of miles I just flew on Air China from SZX to PEK/PVG on F for the 300% miles do it for 5 times and hit *Gold already.
so if your just looking for *A status quickly this is a great program to do it with.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #119
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I have a AMEX and I average around 50,000 points a month which I convert to BA, AA or Asiamiles. Be warned though, Avios sucks for long haul flights and like mentioned above it's good for short haul flights. YVR - JFK on Cathay is always available including J but that's about it.

And one thing about points is when you book flights within Canada you're going to pay much higher taxes and fees. If you originate your flight from say SEA you'll save money. If you're flying into LHR on points well good luck because the fees are ridiculous which I learned the hard way.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I have the infinite avion the way you select flights etc with their online booking is pretty awesome

However I wasn't prepared for the additional fee's when I booked a few flights and taxes + charges were like 120% of the flight itself

Also I've heard that when you get the 1.5 BA miles the BA miles are much harder and limited bookings than using the avion points
Posted via RS Mobile
Well it's easier on Avion because with Avion you're basically "buying" the tickets with the Avion points. You still get hit with surcharges and stuff though which does hurt a bit.

With the BA Avios, you have to be smart on how you use it. Long flights can get hit by pretty big fuel surcharges, especially on BA. Better on partners, who do not charge or charge minimal surcharges. It's not too hard finding space for booking, just have to be a bit creative in finding routes. Some popular ones do get filled quickly.

I like using it for short flights (YVR-LAX, NYC-YVR etc.) because it's a distance based award so it works great. I'm using it for the Singapore-Colombo leg of my trip on Cathay, and only pay 20k Avios + $63 per person in business class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
For shorthauls (e.g. NY -> YYZ), it's awesome. There's also some sweet deals on cathay flying out of the states
Agreed!
fml
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #121
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
I have a AMEX and I average around 50,000 points a month which I convert to BA, AA or Asiamiles. Be warned though, Avios sucks for long haul flights and like mentioned above it's good for short haul flights. YVR - JFK on Cathay is always available including J but that's about it.

And one thing about points is when you book flights within Canada you're going to pay much higher taxes and fees. If you originate your flight from say SEA you'll save money. If you're flying into LHR on points well good luck because the fees are ridiculous which I learned the hard way.
Generally use AA to redeem for long haul flights, BA for short trips (YVR-LAX) and AM for upgrades flying on CX.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #122
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
I have a AMEX and I average around 50,000 points a month
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #123

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:

UA recently had a big devaluation, so it's difficult to say whether or not it will be good to stick with UA or not... but we don't have many choices for *A in North America if you want to redeem miles. UA or AC.
I know... I pre-booked all my family vacation for 2014 before the deadline. Although I don't even know my schedule by then...

It feels awesome to blow all half million miles at once... but it was like 2 days before the deadline and I was literally on a mission how to use all the miles while maximizing the layover/open jars...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #124
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
I see roastpuff's been trying hard these two days to get his complimentary MPO Gold
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #125
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
If only I can claim miles for all my trips