REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #126
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
I see roastpuff's been trying hard these two days to get his complimentary MPO Gold
Yes, been doing battle with Amex reps to get it before the benefit ends. Someone's been keeping an eye on FT!

Hopefully it will get resolved tomorrow. They finally sent me the enrollment form.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #127
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I figured you guys might get a kick out of my upcoming adventure. I am going travelling for about 5 months, mostly backpacking, but I am a bit of a plane geek and am travelling on an Aeroplan First class travel reward.

This is the current itinerary, but the plan is to switch my return from FRA-ORD-YVR to FRA-YVR in Lufthansa first class, getting to try out the Lufthansa First Class Terminal. Availability for this cabin doesn't open until 2 weeks before the flight so I will make that change once I am on the trip.

Some of the highlights in terms of flights... Thai A380 First Class FRA-BKK, Thai 744 New First Class BKK-HND, All Nippon 777 New First Square HND-FRA, and hopefully Lufthansa's new style 747-400 with full time bed first class for FRA-YVR.

Mark
Jealous. Enjoy!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #128
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
I stick with Avion. Using one card only for purchases, I try and gain as many points as possible. Then take advantage of transfer bonuses to Avios and/or AAdvantage.

I find AP an exercise in frustration. Whenever I attempt to book, availability is either never there, or I get an itinerary with multiple connections and ridiculous flying times. Plus insane YQ charges.

AAdvantage is a great program btw. Fees/taxes are next to nothing. I have flown CX F from HKG to YVR for 67,500 points plus $16 in fees.

As with any FF travel, the hard part is never collecting points. It's finding availability when you want to travel. Takes a lot of patience and research, but the result is worth it. Flying around the world in F class is a wonderful experience.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #129
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Yes, been doing battle with Amex reps to get it before the benefit ends. Someone's been keeping an eye on FT!

Hopefully it will get resolved tomorrow. They finally sent me the enrollment form.
Do you have status with *A or any other OW? if so you can try to status match it to GO if you can't get the AMEX GO.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #130
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
The thing with sitting in always sitting in business or first is that you can't go back to the "commoner" economy class
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #131
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Takes a lot of patience and research, but the result is worth it. Flying around the world in F class is a wonderful experience.
4 words:

Award nexus +KVS tools.

It's just so much faster.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #132
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
+1.

I paid for ExpertFlyer but unfortunately they have been gutted from a StarAlliance perspective. I use ANA's tool extensively but it sure would be nice to have ExpertFlyer return to full functionality.

I am on the phone with Aeroplan, trying to make something big happen... long shot, but never know.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
Do you have status with *A or any other OW? if so you can try to status match it to GO if you can't get the AMEX GO.
I don't have any status at all - haven't flown (far) enough recently. I mostly do short hops between PG and YVR because I live near Smithers now, but go back to visit family. Used to have OW Ruby through JAL, but now that I don't fly back to Asia with family a lot it's gone. Dad is OW Emerald so I leech off him when flying with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
The thing with sitting in always sitting in business or first is that you can't go back to the "commoner" economy class
Posted via RS Mobile
As long as it's not China Southern economy, I can deal with it. God what a horrible airline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
4 words:

Award nexus +KVS tools.

It's just so much faster.
Award Nexus has been awesome so far. KVS looks pretty complicated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I am on the phone with Aeroplan, trying to make something big happen... long shot, but never know.
Do tell! Am curious as to what you have planned.
fml
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #134
Old School RS

My goal is to try 4 First class cabins on one ticket with mandatory stops in IST, BKK - specifically the list below. My plan was to change my ticket from YVR-BKK to YYZ-SYD (to take advantage of the MASSIVE 21,000 MPM5 allowance travelling via the Atlantic).

Lufthansa (ideally with the first class terminal in FRA)
All Nippon
Thai (ideally leaving BKK to try the spa)
Asiana A380 (ICN-LAX only)

So I plotted the following outbound routing (20,060 miles)...

YYZ-IST (ticket in TK J, switch to Lufthansa F within 14 days of departure)
-stopover-
IST-CDG (TK J)
-overnight-
CDG-HND (NH F)
-overnight-
HND-BKK (TG F)
-stopover-
BKK-SYD (TG F)
-stopover-

This tickets just fine, the challenge is getting back.

SYD-ICN (OZ J)
-overnight-
ICN-LAX (OZ F)
LAX-YYZ (UA J)

This is over the mileage allowance (it is 13,334 vs 12,100 allowed) for Pacific travel and can't be ticketed... frustrating! Aeroplan is happy to pay for me to fly another 4 first class flights going over the atlantic but won't budge for this much quicker setup.

Mark
Old 03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #135
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I've flown first on Lufthansa from CYVR - EDDF - VIDP. The the first class terminal at EDDF is sick and they'll drive you to the plane in a Cayenne, S500 or 750i. Defiantly worth the experiencing and ranks 2nd best F product available. The first would be Emirates, hands down the best F I've ever flown and the new lounge at the new terminal at OMBD is massive.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #136
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Some of you might already know about this site but here's a great flight report site;

Welcome to Flight-Report | Flight-Report
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #137
G
Banned (BBM)

Question:

I will be booking a trip using Aeroplan points (75k) to HKG from YVR. Star Alliance, E50K member. I have 40 E-Upgrade points, would I be able to use these points for my Aeroplan ticket, if so how many E-Upgrade points does it use? Their site is confusing
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #138
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Question:

I will be booking a trip using Aeroplan points (75k) to HKG from YVR. Star Alliance, E50K member. I have 40 E-Upgrade points, would I be able to use these points for my Aeroplan ticket, if so how many E-Upgrade points does it use? Their site is confusing
None.

Any kind of points-upgrade is only for revenue, paid tickets.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #139
Old School RS

Has anybody flown with Turkish? The first international leg of my trip is TK018 and just trying to figure out about seat booking... looks like 100 days out, but just trying to confirm.

Mark
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #140
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
I know it's been dabbled on in other threads but I'd appreciate if anyone has any input as the best way to upgrade to business class?

The flight in question will be the second leg of our trip to Paris from Toronto to CDG

On that leg we will be playing on air Canada's A330-300

Is it best to try the day we arrive in Toronto, when we board the first leg in Vamcouver? Or right at the gate?

I'm obviously willing to pay and bought this round trip via my avion points

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-10-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #141
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know it's been dabbled on in other threads but I'd appreciate if anyone has any input as the best way to upgrade to business class?

The flight in question will be the second leg of our trip to Paris from Toronto to CDG

On that leg we will be playing on air Canada's A330-300

Is it best to try the day we arrive in Toronto, when we board the first leg in Vamcouver? Or right at the gate?
Posted via RS Mobile
The best way to upgrade is to pay. Sometimes the paid upgrades are offered when you check in online, other times you will have to go to the desk to do it. You can probably do this in YVR for your YYZ-CDG leg. To give you an idea, there are no set prices, but a lot of people are reporting that they are being offered prices between $998 and $1600+ per person to upgrade YYZ-CDG. (EDIT - this is EACH WAY)

The second best and only other alternative is to upgrade is using your e-upgrade credits corresponding with your AC status.

If you don't pay and dont use e-upgrade credits, you simply are not getting an upgrade barring some absolute fluke. AC will happily let a plane leave with empty J seats, no questions asked.

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 03-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #142

Fuck really $1000 per for upgrade?

Coming back from London with BA we got the world traveler upgrade for $250 each
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #143
Old School RS

Keep in mind, even paying up front, the difference in price is close to that much. A round trip ticket in economy YYZ-CDG is probably $1100 and I would bet that a business ticket is $4100. That's $1500 each way difference... I wouldn't expect last minute to be much of a discount, many airlines have made their policy clear that they would prefer to have their premium seats empty than devalue them by giving them away or making them cheap to get to.

Mark

EDIT...

Quote:
Coming back from London with BA we got the world traveler upgrade for $250 each
Posted via RS Mobile
Wait... that's just an upgrade to premium economy isn't it? That's a WAY cheaper class of service than business class. Air Canada doesn't have premium economy on YYZ-CDG, though they do on YUL-CDG.

World Traveler Plus
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #144

Sorry it was actually the "club world" we got for 250, the individual lay flat cubicles

Although as far as I could tell on the BA 747, they only had the club world, business, then first, I didn't think there was any premium economy outside of your bulkhead seats etc
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #145
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Sorry it was actually the "club world" we got for 250, the individual lay flat cubicles

Although as far as I could tell on the BA 747, they only had the club world, business, then first, I didn't think there was any premium economy outside of your bulkhead seats etc
Posted via RS Mobile
250 GBP or 250 CDN? if 250 CDN that is a steal! but if GBP that is roughly 420 ish each.. maybe not so much of a steal.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #146

250 CDN at the gate about 3 hours before boarding

Outside of paying the like, $50-$150 to get business on a 737 that was my only experience upgrading on long haul flights so I kind of assumed deals were to be had more readily lol

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-10-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #147
Old School RS

Yeah definitely no chance whatsoever of a trans-continental upgrade for that kind of money on AC. The YVR-YYZ LMU price is regularly $499.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #148
Old School RS

Well no luck with Australia. It also adds a TON of fees as I end up adding another 2 first class legs (with scam charges) and Australia charges massive taxes just to fly in and out of their cities so I took a pass on that. I ended up switching my first few flights around slightly so I have an overnight in Paris rather than a same day connection in Frankfurt - seemed like a nice opportunity, I still fly the A380 with Thai, just CDG-BKK instead of FRA-BKK. Also managed to change dates slightly so I was able to add YVR-YYZ in J instead of Y. Overall, the changes added about $32 to my taxes/fees (primarily due to flying in J with AC instead of Y). Total taxes and fees are $1000 and 210,000 points with all the first class. I am still planning on switching my return home from FRA-ORD-YVR with United F for FRA-YVR in Lufthansa F for the first class terminal and direct flight but that will have to wait until 2 weeks before my return flight in October 2014.

Old itinerary:
Spoiler!

New itinerary:

YVR-YYZ-IST (stop)
IST-CDG (overnight <24 hour)
CDG-BKK (stop)
BKK-HND-FRA (stop)
FRA-ORD-YVR
Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #149

Nice routing, just missing that TPAC leg for a RTW trip! Too bad about Australia - both the UK and Australia seem to have very high taxes/fees. Good hunting for that LH F flight, they definitely seem difficult to grab further out. Just like CX F...

However... I MANAGED TO SNAG CX F YESTERDAY!!! Two seats, all the way to Singapore, no less! It's basically like winning the lottery. I feel amazing!!! I thought I would have to fret about it closer and monitor the Award Nexus site daily, but on a whim I checked the JAL site yesterday at lunch, saw that 2 F seats had opened on Nov 30 and my fingers immediately dialed Alaska Airline's phone number. After 15 minutes of nerve-wracking waiting the agent had managed to re-book our flights. Just had to add extra miles. I managed to find a HKG-SIN F flight on the 744 as well, but it remains to be seen if it will stay a 744 because the HKG-SIN sector is a bit of a crapshoot overall in terms of what planes get assigned where.

Here's my completed itinerary:

Mark, how did you get that nice little legend to appear?
fml
Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #150
Old School RS

Yeah I gave up the TPAC leg as I wanted more F legs so going back via the Atlantic gives me more time in the air. I'm also flying YYZ-IST with a friend so I am stuck in J for that one though I could probably find a YVR-MUC-IST in F leg if I wasn't staying on the same flight as him. I've still been wrestling with the idea of changing my return to ICN-LAX (New OZ A380 First Suites). If I do though, I give up NH's F AND LH F plus the FCT in FRA so probably not worth it.

Congrats on CX F!!! Someday we need to have a beer, I dont know the first thing about accumulating non Staralliance points. What kind of plane do you fly for YVR-HKG-SIN?

As to the legend and the faded cities for the stopovers... I could tell you... but I'd have to kill you.
Spoiler!

Last edited by lowside67; 03-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote