REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #876
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
You were a choice once
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #877
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Crazy, almost like that was a choice? Lol

Bring crying kids everywhere, the theatre, a broadway show, etc. why not
You dunce, the choice to have kids doesn't mean you automatically need to self-exclude yourself from certain parts of society.

Also this notion that small kids cry everywhere all the time is stupid. I will agree that there is a small % of parents who will willfully let their kid cry while they're eating their steak, and yes that's both shitty and annoying as a bystander. But trust me, most parents hate the sound of their children crying far more than you do.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #878
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Does anyone use any website for price tracking of flights?

Looking to fly to LA in sept but it’s like $500+ each round trip right now.. seems high
Old 06-15-2023, 07:39 PM   #879
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

Looking to fly to LA in sept but it’s like $500+ each round trip right now.. seems high
I usually use google flights, they have a chart option to look at different pricing.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:47 AM   #880
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Flying anywhere these days seems high.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #881
in the butt

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I usually use google flights, they have a chart option to look at different pricing.
This is the way. I would say you have 2 months to book before prices "start to climb". Keep an eye on the prices a few times a week, eventually it will drop to the "green zone" pricing,

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:27 AM   #882
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
You have to be careful on the frequency of your search. Each search triggers a counter with the airlines and they will see it as interest/demand and artificially increase prices. It's a bad double-edged sword.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:33 AM   #883
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You have to be careful on the frequency of your search. Each search triggers a counter with the airlines and they will see it as interest/demand and artificially increase prices. It's a bad double-edged sword.
I usually search once every two or three weeks, and just keep a screenshot of the chart to see what has changed or what not. Keep an eye on the chart and also keep an eye on promotions that airlines do - such as random Fathers Day X% off etc.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also not sure if this is allowed, but if not then just delete this post.

But for those who are starting to travel, I started using a Wise card (can refer those who DM me). Thought I would share:

- Essentially it acts as a prepaid debit/credit card.
- You deposit CAD into your Wise account and you can instantly convert it to any other currency via the app. I find the rates are pretty good - same as google rates.
- You can also take out cash at the ATM in foreign countries using the card as well.
- If you travel to multiple countries, you can convert leftover currencies into the next location so you never really 'lose' out on random leftover cash.
- The app is well made in which you can see how much is on the card, apple pay capabilities, etc. Only downside is you can't get any cc points...
Old 06-19-2023, 09:40 AM   #884

I’ve known other people using that card but I don’t really see what the benefit is?

The rates I get pulling either cash advances off a credit card or pulling money from my bank account are always very close to the given exchange rate at the time and some CC’s like the Scotia infinite travel card have no international transaction fees. So I don’t really see the benefit in using cards like the Wise one?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:50 AM   #885
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
I’ve known other people using that card but I don’t really see what the benefit is?

The rates I get pulling either cash advances off a credit card or pulling money from my bank account are always very close to the given exchange rate at the time and some CC’s like the Scotia infinite travel card have no international transaction fees. So I don’t really see the benefit in using cards like the Wise one?
Personally, I don't use a travel credit card, but I realized my card has the foreign transaction fees tied into the conversion which adds up a bit. I typically use Wise when its a sketchy place and I know they can't really cause any problems in the future. I also hate carrying cash so the peace of mind of just grabbing it whenever I need it is easier when moving around.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #886
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:

I did a quick google search for LAX in Sept and i'm getting about $400 for a non-basic fare on Air Canada, United or Westjet. Flair is a bit cheaper.

You can choose flights in Google and then setup Alerts to email you when the price drops.

I feel like there's a lot of seat sales lately from AC/Westjet, so between now and Sept, I'd probably wait a bit still.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #887

Yea I think I’m just going to keep an eye on it and try to get a sale.

Worst case I’m paying 500-600 each, best case I get sub 400 each
Old 06-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #888
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Anyone know what the most optimal way to spend 150K aeroplan / 175K BA points are?

I've been consistently scanning Van to TKY via JAL / AC / ANA but the business flights are roughly 150 - 175,000 points. Prince of Travel recommends that best pricing is around 60,000 points and I haven't seen anything close. Booking for Mar 2024. Maybe I need to expand a year earlier aka Sept 2024.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #889
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Yeah, you need to book really early or really close in for the best deals on Aeroplan. Avoid AC metal if you can as the dynamic pricing really screws things up. You're aiming for ANA flights for AP, and JAL for BA.

Use sites like Awardnexus to track flight availability.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #890

Ahh, I was trying to directly look via aeroplan and ba portal and it was super slow trying to reinput day by day to find no dates.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 06-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Ahh, I was trying to directly look via aeroplan and ba portal and it was super slow trying to reinput day by day to find no dates.
The best tool is called Cowtool but it's not easy to be granted access.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2023, 06:58 PM   #892
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Yeah, you need to book really early or really close in for the best deals on Aeroplan. Avoid AC metal if you can as the dynamic pricing really screws things up. You're aiming for ANA flights for AP, and JAL for BA.

Use sites like Awardnexus to track flight availability.
I've heard ANA releases seats about a year out and usually only a couple at a time. I was hoping next year to book 3 business class seats using points but if they only release 2 at a time that's not gonna work well for me. Maybe I'll do premium economy instead.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:08 PM   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I've heard ANA releases seats about a year out and usually only a couple at a time. I was hoping next year to book 3 business class seats using points but if they only release 2 at a time that's not gonna work well for me. Maybe I'll do premium economy instead.
They'll release 2 at the start of schedule, and then might release more close-in if they aren't sold. Your best bet is to do 2 biz 1 PE, and then upgrade PE close in if possible.

Guys, Flyertalk is a great resource for these sort of things, good forum for points tricks and tips too (look at Air Canada Aeroplan specific forum).
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2023, 08:05 PM   #894
RS Veteran

Ditto to FlyerTalk. I used to be an FT rat but my corporate frequent flyer days are over. I look for lowest economy now.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2023, 10:02 PM   #895

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Ditto to FlyerTalk. I used to be an FT rat but my corporate frequent flyer days are over. I look for lowest economy now.
I think age is really altering the way I fly. I used to do just econ and try to go as many places I possibly can. Now I just hunt for good business class deals and arrange my trips around those. And instead of many trips in a year, I do one in a year or 2.

My last few flights were $1700 business class to EZE, $2100 to CDG, and a $4000 mini-around the world trip that involves CDG-YVR (long pause)-AKL-TYO-CDG that I'm going to do later this year.

Sure, you can find econ for cheaper, I'm sure. But I just physically don't think it's worth it anymore. On a long haul, it usually takes me a 2-3days to adjust the jetlag, and with econ, I arrive physically destroyed because it's very hard for me to sleep onboard, so I basically spend the first few days like a zombie.

Now I just do less trips but travel more comfortable. Budget is more or less the same... just done differently.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #896
RS Veteran

woosh!

Old 06-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #897

So ended up getting 2 round trip flights to LAX with WJ in sept for $760 taxes in, acceptable..

However.. comparing prices with AC where they show you the full break down in fees.. what in the fuck lol.. there’s over $500 in individual fees including a “9/11 security fee” ? Lol fuck me..
Old 06-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #898

I started paying for exit row, still hard to sleep being 6'3 lol. Every body part goes number or I keep waking up when my neck falls down from being asleep. Not sure what to do.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 06-30-2023, 01:47 PM   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I started paying for exit row, still hard to sleep being 6'3 lol. Every body part goes number or I keep waking up when my neck falls down from being asleep. Not sure what to do.
Fly biz class or chop legs off.

EDIT: You know you can raise the headrest on most planes now? And the wings can be folded in to kind of keep your head straight?
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #900
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

neck pillows are a life saver

we got a memory foam one off amazon. stuffs into a bag around the size of a small football. bit of a pain to carry around but it amazing for trying to sleep.....oh and a good eye mask.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote