REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #726
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Jesus... how long is that osaka flight?
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #727
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Jesus... how long is that osaka flight?
Was going to Osaka, but couldn't get a flight to price afterwards to SYD. I am just getting another ticket for that from HKG to KIX and then coming back to HKG to continue to my RTW flight. The entire trip would span 33days with roughly 120hrs flying time.

But again, I don't have huge hope that AZ would honor the ticket, I priced out the same ticket and it's over 15k USD for the 2 ticket I booked for 1700USD and consider the thousand of ppl who booked on FT, I don't think they are willing to lose tens of millions on a single glitch.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #728
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

anyone want to chime in on sleep aids (metatonin, benadryl ,etc.) on a 13 hour flight? im gonna be flying right after work and it economy class haha. light sleeper as well which i wanna try sleeping at least 8 hours straight. other times ive flown at most i got is 2-3 hours here and there.
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #729

Assuming you are traveling in Y, ear plugs, eyes shade and a travel pillow with window seat you'd be golden. And try to get as little sleep as you can the day before and/or hopefully you are catching a night-time flight as opposed to a daylight one.

And try not to drink anything before you go to sleep/board so you won't wake up to go to washroom.

I am super difficult to sleep on the plane unless I'm super tired, but the above method has helped me to endure my flights to Asia in a sardine can. I used to get some sleeping aid from doctors, but I found that the effect sometimes mess up and I'd still be sleepy as hell after arrival, and it wasn't very good for the time when I was traveling for work. I stopped using the aids ever since.

Oh, and if you can, try to get on 787 instead of other models. The lower alt. pressure helps too.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #730

its a 747 flight to taipei so yes night time. i can sneak in 6 hours before flight but i hate to miss my flight more than anything. cheapoair F me up on seating arrangement which i paid extra for so now i can only choose the seats when i check in so hopefully there will be a window seat left. im gonna try some sleeping aids to see which one has better effects before the actual flight
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #731
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
All the over the counter shit does nothing for me, although never been much for sleeping on flights.

When we were in Europe last my fiancé got zopliclon from her doctor, didn't try it on the flight but taking it while there it knocked you out very quick and you're basically dead till you open your eyes in the morning lol
Old 12-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #732
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
If it is a night flight you are much better setup already. As stated above, ear plugs, eye mask and a neck pillow will be your friends. Window seat, or sitting beside someone with a bigger bladder is also very important.

The sleep aids in the pharmacy I find actually work pretty well. They won't knock you out if your wide awake, but taking them when relaxed, especially in the evening you should be able to get to sleep. You will feel a bit of a sleep hangover from what i've experienced in the past for about 12 hours from the time you take the drug. Most of them are an antihistamine.

The day of the trip, do a lot of exercise and tire yourself right out. Keep the liquid intake fairly low approaching flight time (Don't come dehydrated), and make sure to get one last pee in before you shut your eyes.

If you can actually get 8 hours i'll be thoroughly impressed. I've only ever done that in a pod. Good luck! If it's a daytime flight, without actual prescribed medicine, I'd say your right out of luck unless you really have no sleep schedule at all.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
its a 747 flight to taipei so yes night time. i can sneak in 6 hours before flight but i hate to miss my flight more than anything. cheapoair F me up on seating arrangement which i paid extra for so now i can only choose the seats when i check in so hopefully there will be a window seat left. im gonna try some sleeping aids to see which one has better effects before the actual flight
747 to TPE? So it's either EVA or CI. They are my regular flights.

EVA's configuration isn't too bad. There's enough legroom for one to stretch comfortably (I'm 5 11 and I never find myself hitting the seat in front) even if you don't get a window seat.

And both would arrive early in the morning to TPE like 5:30AM, so I'd recommend against the meds unless you want to waste a big portion of arrival day sleeping/being half-asleep for most of the time.

Of course, I'm no physician. Hence it might have to do what prescription you get. But I got two different one twice (can't remember the name now), and both time I ended up being tired while having to stay awake for work.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #734
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,396 Times in 550 Posts
Agreed. The CI and BR flights are pretty well timed across the pacific. I've never used prescription sleep aids, I use melatonin which is a natural sleep-aid so supposedly has the least side affect on the body.

I find myself the sleepiest right when I board the plane on these night-flights, however waiting around for that first meal feels like forever. A neat trick to use is to pre-book a special meal (vegetarian, low sodium etc) and you get served first.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Agreed. The CI and BR flights are pretty well timed across the pacific. I've never used prescription sleep aids, I use melatonin which is a natural sleep-aid so supposedly has the least side affect on the body.

I find myself the sleepiest right when I board the plane on these night-flights, however waiting around for that first meal feels like forever. A neat trick to use is to pre-book a special meal (vegetarian, low sodium etc) and you get served first.
Instead of melatonin, just ask for a cup of warm milk. That makes your body to produce melatonin.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #736

yes its a CI flight because of sales deal. would of prefer BR. made these trips many times and all the time, its wide awake watching 8 movies and singing to myself the rest of the way. which is why i wanna get some decent sleep time this time around.
already got my comfy flight stuff so i dont end up with a numb ass haha. im gonna try those liquid sprays sleep aids to see if its faster.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #737

Quote:
yes its a CI flight because of sales deal. would of prefer BR. made these trips many times and all the time, its wide awake watching 8 movies and singing to myself the rest of the way. which is why i wanna get some decent sleep time this time around.
already got my comfy flight stuff so i dont end up with a numb ass haha. im gonna try those liquid sprays sleep aids to see if its faster.
Liquid spray?! Doesn't spraying actually wake you up?

Ok, so the crazy euro trip is a no-go...

But have a flight coming at the beginning of Feb on retrofitted AC 777HD in J. Hopefully it's better, because I wasn't impressed with the old one when I did the HKG-YVR a year ago.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #738

They cancelled the price error fares? Didnt follow along the thread since I wasn't able to get in on it.

Otoh, booked myself on my first SQ flight ever! Looking forward to it (even though its just Y)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #739
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Ok, so the crazy euro trip is a no-go...

But have a flight coming at the beginning of Feb on retrofitted AC 777HD in J. Hopefully it's better, because I wasn't impressed with the old one when I did the HKG-YVR a year ago.
I couldn't be bothered to follow that thread either. But didn't some say they managed to go? Or maybe those that had itineraries within the coming weeks?

What changed in the new retrofitted HD?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #740

Quote:
im gonna try those liquid sprays sleep aids to see if its faster.
Yeah. what kind of spray is this?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
I couldn't be bothered to follow that thread either. But didn't some say they managed to go? Or maybe those that had itineraries within the coming weeks?

What changed in the new retrofitted HD?
The new 777HD basically has less J seats (only 24) in 1-2-1 reverse herringbone config similar to those in CX, BR (777) with all aisle access.

Also doing MU on A332 with a similar config this weekend. I will post some pics when I'm back to YVR.

As for the EF, yes, someone did manage to go. But not in my case. Oh well, wasn't expecting it to be honored anyway.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #742

After a 4hr delay in PVG because the aircraft coming from Paris was delayed by the weather in France, I'm back to YVR.

The hard:
The seat itself isn't bad. It's similar to other modern J product on BR/AC/CX... etc, although the seat cushion is quite hard and it's almost like sleeping on a bunk bed to other softer counterparts deployed by other carriers. The foot cubbie is small... but enough for me to stretch all the way without touching anything. The monitor is good sized, but it wasn't touch screen or mine must be broken. Contents could use some update though.

IMG_1171 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1172 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1173 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

The plane that took me was a relatively new (just over 2.5yrs old) plane. So, nothing to pick really. The only storage option is the overhead bin. I didn't find any storage compartment on the seat.

The lounge at PVG seems to be a new one as it's different to all the other reports I've read. Some decent hot (buffet style, with a noodle bar) and cold (fruit and basic salad) options along with new and comfortable seatings throughout in a generous space. If anything, it was quite crowded as it's now the ONLY MU lounge in PVG, all other had closed down.

The soft:
This is where I think MU have much to improve. To start, even though there were dedicated lines for business/first class pax, they take an awful long time to check-in. During my time there, I think for every 2 Y passengers in the Y line next to mine for my agent to process 1 J/F pax. And I'd think J/F agents should be more experienced. When I actually got to the agent, it almost seems that the agent was in training as she kept asking the procedures to the supervisor there. Maybe I had bad luck and got an agent-in-training... but still. On the plus-side, the agent was cute, so I didn't mind staring at her for a long while...

During the boarding, there was only a single agent at the gate, and she didn't follow any order to board. She simply said they are now boarding the flight and asked everyone to line up. But J pax could still bypass the regular line by going through the dedicated line for J.

Food was surprisingly decent on my flight. The appetizers were quite good. I had the western option and it started with amuse bouche, followed by soup/bread/some kind of foie gras thing, lamb rack with potatoes, fruits, cheese (which I declined) and dessert (pudding and/or Haagen-Dazs ice cream). I was surprised that they didn't have salad. But I'm usually a carnivore person anyway... so, no complain.

For the BF prior landing, I opted for the Chinese option which was congee with some dimsum, again... overall decent. Not the same level you'd get from a restaurant, but not terrible either.

The main complaint I had was the lack of a menu. Although the stewardesses were kind and attentive, but I think a menu would have made the whole meal ordering much smoother.

Again on the stewardesses, they were nice and always with a smile. But they kinda lack a proper English level. I am ok as I speak Mandarin just fine. But the lady seating across the aisle was having difficulties to understand the stewardess serving her.

Overall, it was a decent flight and when I was pricing the flight, the difference between J vs Y was only 400USD for that same one way flight. So for 400 extra was totally worth it considering I get huge miles boost (175% earning vs. 50%) and the comfort of larger seat.

IMG_1178 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1179 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1180 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1181 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1182 by JayPhoto, on Flickr

IMG_1183 by JayPhoto, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #743
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Had the opportunity of trying Jet Airways intl J recently. Hard product was alright, but the soft product was definitely not on par with notch western carriers. Flew Swiss J on the outbound of the same trip and it was definitely much better. Hard product was the old J seats, so didn't get to try Swiss' new J seat that are on their 777s. The soft product on Swiss was quite good! Swiss is a great option for AP award redemptions as they do not have scam charges like LH or AC.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #744

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Anybody fly EVA air before? Any good? Thinking of considering them for HKG and TPE trip.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Anybody fly EVA air before? Any good? Thinking of considering them for HKG and TPE trip.
In Y, the old 747 is great because of the amount of legroom you get by riding an old plane. In J... don't waste your money.

If you are traveling in J, go to Seattle and make sure the date you are flying, you are on a 777. The new J configuration is similar to those found on CX, which includes all-aisle access, Rimowa amenity kit, better booze and IFE.

BR J IMO is better than CX, any NA carrier and probably all EU carrier too. At least I was very impressed when I flew with them.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #746

Quote:
In Y, the old 747 is great because of the amount of legroom you get by riding an old plane. In J... don't waste your money.

If you are traveling in J, go to Seattle and make sure the date you are flying, you are on a 777. The new J configuration is similar to those found on CX, which includes all-aisle access, Rimowa amenity kit, better booze and IFE.

BR J IMO is better than CX, any NA carrier and probably all EU carrier too. At least I was very impressed when I flew with them.
If you are flying 747 Y, try and get a seat in upper deck.
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #747

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, I'll be flying economy, was debating between EVA and Cathay.

I wasn't sure if Eva was on similar level of Cathay, or was more like those random China Airlines.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Thanks, I'll be flying economy, was debating between EVA and Cathay.

I wasn't sure if Eva was on similar level of Cathay, or was more like those random China Airlines.
Pretty solid Economy product. I'd say its a step down from CX in terms of seat but only slightly. Already mentioned, if you are on the 747, try to get on the upper deck (this will be super rare soon). Its like a mini-cabin and super quiet.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #749
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
flew cathay for a couple of my flights, really professional staff, from gate agents to flight attendants

tried to hit on one amazing flight attendant but manager with the black dress saw what I was doing on my flight to thailand so i got cock blocked .... she kept staring and laughed with me too (HK base girls lol)

never seen such a hot flight attendant in my life... probably same age as me (mid - low twenties)

food was not bad, get the beef with rice for dinner and omelette for breakfast (economy obviously )

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Pretty solid Economy product. I'd say its a step down from CX in terms of seat but only slightly. Already mentioned, if you are on the 747, try to get on the upper deck (this will be super rare soon). Its like a mini-cabin and super quiet.
Was on this flight 2 months ago. They actually allowed kids on the upper deck. But thankfully they were quiet for the flight....