REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #701
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
DaFonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In your head
Posts: 4,591
Thanked 376 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...type=3&theater

Cathay Pacific Airways
7 hrs

We are pleased to announce that we will be having an additional three flights between Vancouver and Hong Kong, using the new state-of-the-art Airbus 350-900XWB aircraft, beginning on March 28, 2017!

This marks the first ever A350-900 to operate anywhere in Canada. It will feature our refreshed Business Class, Premium Economy, and Economy Class cabins and passengers will have access to inflight Wi-Fi as well.
I'm so sad that CX is continuing to cut F
Advertisement
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #702
:inoutugh:
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ඞ
Posts: 9,971
Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,838 Posts
Thoughts on Alaska Miles vs Aeroplan? Which has more flexibility? Just started looked into this as I am switching credit cards.
__________________
Posted from NE 1-J W Inglis Building
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #703
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Teriyaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 1,418 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
I'm so sad that CX is continuing to cut F
Indeed. The chances of flying on CX F is getting slimmer and slimmer. While their business product is still top-notch, it is starting to get a little long in the tooth. Wonder if the A350 refresh atleast includes a HD screen in those flip out tv's.

On a related note, just came back from YVR-JFK in CX J and was pleasantly surprised to see that they did hand out amenity kits for this leg. I flew the reverse routing JFK-YVR last year and they did not. Finally have one of these new kits with the zipper to add to my small collection.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #704
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
roastpuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Thoughts on Alaska Miles vs Aeroplan? Which has more flexibility? Just started looked into this as I am switching credit cards.
Aeroplan has a wider selection of partners, but Alaska has their pluses too. It's a bit of a wash but Aeroplan is easier to earn/get.

Sorry for the late reply.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
i look so damn white in all the pics! lol
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #705
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Infiniti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,522
Thanked 719 Times in 281 Posts
Redeeming Aeroplan rewards (outside of the shitty domestic Y Class AC Metal redemptions) miles has certainly become an art. Recently snagged a couple J seats to Europe on Swiss (which btw is a great airline to redeem while avoiding surcharges) during the xmas holidays. Return was a whole different story! Don't have the flexibility of waiting <14 days out for a LH F redemption and there were very little attractive options in J so I guess the lady and I will be flying paid on the way back.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #706
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 4,637
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
Back from the trip.

The SFO GF check-in lounge is so small. I almost missed it walking pass by. But it puts you directly to the Pre-Check line which was great!

IMG_0951 by JayPhoto, on Flickr


The United GF hardware is so comfy. I only snapped this pic to show the new GF amenity kit, which comes in a tin can as I thought I'd be taking more pics when I wake up. Granted I didn't sleep well the night before the trip, but to sleep the entire way, barely making the meal prior to arrival is a first for me. I literally passed out as soon as the plane reached cruising alt. so I can put my chair flat. Noise is quite a bit lower in 1A seat, which helped a lot with sleep.

Only complain is probably the lack of storage (overhead bin is tiny. Enough for each pax to store their carry-ons but not much else)
IMG_0955 by JayPhoto, on Flickr
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #707
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,257
Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
The Amex lounge at SFO is pretty nice and worth checking out if you have an eligible Amex card to gain entry.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #708
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,257
Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Thoughts on Alaska Miles vs Aeroplan? Which has more flexibility? Just started looked into this as I am switching credit cards.
Alaska miles is a much better program. The amount of airlines you have access to is amazing and the fact you can book J and some times F on Emirates is well worth joining.

Side note, MBNA Alaska miles card is one of the best cards I have and I like having the option of the .99% rate they offer for balance transfers. Only negative is the card is lacking when it comes to travel insurance.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #709
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
roastpuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,162
Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Alaska miles is a much better program. The amount of airlines you have access to is amazing and the fact you can book J and some times F on Emirates is well worth joining.

Side note, MBNA Alaska miles card is one of the best cards I have and I like having the option of the .99% rate they offer for balance transfers. Only negative is the card is lacking when it comes to travel insurance.
One massive issue is the devaluation of Alaska Miles on Emirates - F is now 200K one way(!!!). Very very difficult to get that many miles now, and buying miles to top up is no longer really feasible or good value. I would say that the others (AA, BA, KL/AF/DL) are okay at most, and the YQ on BA TATL really sucks.

Still good for QF, KE, CX for now.

Aeroplan has better selection for TATL and some TPAC, with ANA/BR/LX/LOT/UA providing mostly YQ-free service.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
i look so damn white in all the pics! lol
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #710
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Teriyaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 1,418 Times in 556 Posts
Probably been brought up by others already but I just took my first AC Rouge flight to Osaka on their 767... and boy was it uncomfortable. The aircraft is ancient, 1995 build with nary a refresh. I knew and researched what I was getting into but it still under delivered on all regards, especially the amateur hour service by what I felt like were high school students. An hour between meal service and tray collection, and not even knowing what was inside the meal besides "its chicken" are just examples of the poor-training and service standards.

In comparison, I flew the slave-ship, the 777-300ER in HD configuration on the way back from HKG and enjoyed that. Atleast it has real IFE to distract you from the smaller seats.

EDIT: Suffering from jetlag allowed me to compile this quick video review of the AC HD777. Dreading to relive the Rouge flight so going to hold off on that for a bit LOL.

Last edited by Teriyaki; 10-15-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #711
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Infiniti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,522
Thanked 719 Times in 281 Posts
^ I avoid rouge at all costs...but sadly, AC will eventually Rouge many mainline routes
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #712
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
DaFonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In your head
Posts: 4,591
Thanked 376 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Probably been brought up by others already but I just took my first AC Rouge flight to Osaka on their 767... and boy was it uncomfortable. The aircraft is ancient, 1995 build with nary a refresh. I knew and researched what I was getting into but it still under delivered on all regards, especially the amateur hour service by what I felt like were high school students. An hour between meal service and tray collection, and not even knowing what was inside the meal besides "its chicken" are just examples of the poor-training and service standards.

In comparison, I flew the slave-ship, the 777-300ER in HD configuration on the way back from HKG and enjoyed that. Atleast it has real IFE to distract you from the smaller seats.

EDIT: Suffering from jetlag allowed me to compile this quick video review of the AC HD777. Dreading to relive the Rouge flight so going to hold off on that for a bit LOL. https://youtu.be/yWF50fYqJUE
oh god.. my condolences. Rouge and the 777HD. Sounds awful
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #713
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 4,637
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
I feel ya.

Even the J in 777HD is quite horrifying, let alone Y.

What I don't get is the PY in 777HD. I never flew in them per se, but I did try it out on an open seat while I was on my way back to YVR once (I sucked up and paid for the upgrade to J from an incredibly cheap Y fare). The difference between the PY and Y is marginal at best. Anyone who's paying the difference between Y and PY might as well save the money and just pay for the upgrade offer at check-in. In my case of HKG-YVR it was 7000HKD, which I thought it was fair considering the length of the flight and the difference in fare (~5xx one way in Y, 12xx in PY and 23xx in J)
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #714
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS
 
CP.AR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL400
Posts: 5,865
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Indeed. The chances of flying on CX F is getting slimmer and slimmer. While their business product is still top-notch, it is starting to get a little long in the tooth. Wonder if the A350 refresh atleast includes a HD screen in those flip out tv's.

On a related note, just came back from YVR-JFK in CX J and was pleasantly surprised to see that they did hand out amenity kits for this leg. I flew the reverse routing JFK-YVR last year and they did not. Finally have one of these new kits with the zipper to add to my small collection.
The A50 is quite nice (it's what the CEO calls it), the seats themselves haven't changed too much, but there is now in-flight Wifi (Pay service, cannot be used over China) and the screens are all in HD now.
__________________
Where the hell am I
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #715
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,257
Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Bizarre incident...

Quote:
Twenty-five crew members went to local hospitals as a precaution but were later discharged, said BA spokeswoman Michele Kropf.

The crew were not treated for smoke inhalation as reported, she said.

The airline did not say what the cause of the problem was or what their symptoms were.

There has been no confirmation over how many people the Airbus A380 carried.

Images showed emergency vehicles surrounding the plane on the tarmac.

The flight BA286 departed at 19:13 on Monday (02:13 GMT) and landed in the Canadian city several hours later.

BA said passengers had been put up in hotels and would be rebooked on other flights.

Gavin Wilson, public affairs director for Vancouver Coastal Health, said all 25 crew members have been released as of 5am local time (12:00 GMT)

"They were brought into hospital as a precaution and they were subsequently discharged early this morning," he told the BBC.

Various crew members were sent to three separate Vancouver-area medical centres: Vancouver General Hospital, Delta Hospital and Richmond Hospital.

At the moment there are no further details on the reason for their hospitalisation.

"I can't tell you at this point what they were assessed for," Mr Wilson said.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #716
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 36,790
Thanked 14,520 Times in 5,740 Posts
so it was an A380.. wondered why it landed there as opposed to calgary etc.

from the night time shots i couldnt tell if it had 4 engines or not
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #717
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,257
Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
I believe it was foggy in YYC so it was rerouted to YVR.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #718
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Teriyaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 1,418 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I believe it was foggy in YYC so it was rerouted to YVR.
This is what I hear too. The fog in YYC downgraded the landing conditions so it was made to land in YVR. If you think about it, pilots of the A380 have some tough decisions to make when diverting due to the limited amount of runways they can utilize in an emergency...
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:06 AM   #719
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Y
Posts: 1,604
Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I believe it was foggy in YYC so it was rerouted to YVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
This is what I hear too. The fog in YYC downgraded the landing conditions so it was made to land in YVR. If you think about it, pilots of the A380 have some tough decisions to make when diverting due to the limited amount of runways they can utilize in an emergency...
There's a various number of things to consider. Fog was only a small factor, or probably not even a factor in this case. These aircrafts are advance enough to make such landings. The reasoning was mostly due to the fact there was already a BA 787 on ground at YYC at the time. YVR would have had more ground resources to handle the situation. Not to mention YVR already have a gate suitable for the A380. And they also had to dump some fuel first, add in other factors like local accommodation, hospitals (see above, even in Van they had to separate it throughout 3 diff hospitals), and various reason the public probably won't know about....YVR was the candidate.

Last edited by v_tec; 10-27-2016 at 04:13 AM.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #720
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,478
Thanked 485 Times in 175 Posts
Here's the ATC audio from the BA flight
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #721
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Teriyaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 1,418 Times in 556 Posts
Got around to compiling my flight report for my Air Canada Rouge to Osaka flight. Definitely one to be avoided if you can.

Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #722
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Infiniti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,522
Thanked 719 Times in 281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Got around to compiling my flight report for my Air Canada Rouge to Osaka flight. Definitely one to be avoided if you can.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #723
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 4,637
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
Anyone booking the super cheap flight out of FLR to Asia/Oceania to DUS? It's a great mileage run if they actually honor the fares. So crazy routing involves coming to America first and then to Asia/Oceania... the mileage potential is huge. But again, the chances for them to honor it is low (as it's cheaper than Y fares)

FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770 / J - FlyerTalk Forums

I was heading to Japan, so I'd just take the long way there and do some shopping in Europe on the way. Now I'm just keeping my finger crossed for it to be honored and then book my positioning flight.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #724
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Y
Posts: 1,604
Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Anyone booking the super cheap flight out of FLR to Asia/Oceania to DUS? It's a great mileage run if they actually honor the fares. So crazy routing involves coming to America first and then to Asia/Oceania... the mileage potential is huge. But again, the chances for them to honor it is low (as it's cheaper than Y fares)

FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770 / J - FlyerTalk Forums

I was heading to Japan, so I'd just take the long way there and do some shopping in Europe on the way. Now I'm just keeping my finger crossed for it to be honored and then book my positioning flight.
Great price for all those legs in J. But how are you planning to position yourself into FLR?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #725
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 4,637
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Great price for all those legs in J. But how are you planning to position yourself into FLR?
Assuming the ticket actually stick and don't get canceled, this is my travel set for next year:

YVR-CDG-FLR (on miles)-FCO-HKG-SYD-TPE-HKG-DUS (ticket 1)-AMS-EZE-LIM-LAX-FRA-FLR (ticket 2)-CDG-YUL-YVR (mile ticket 2)

Alternative, I can just stop the journey at LAX and book a 1way ticket back to YVR.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net