REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #751
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,369 Times in 2,400 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
WTFFFFF

Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #752
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 87 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
flew cathay for a couple of my flights, really professional staff, from gate agents to flight attendants

tried to hit on one amazing flight attendant but manager with the black dress saw what I was doing on my flight to thailand so i got cock blocked .... she kept staring and laughed with me too (HK base girls lol)

never seen such a hot flight attendant in my life... probably same age as me (mid - low twenties)

food was not bad, get the beef with rice for dinner and omelette for breakfast (economy obviously )
theres quite a few based in Vancouver as well.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #753
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Failed 88 Times in 33 Posts
Just wondering if we are allowed to lock our check in luggage?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #754
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,427 Times in 561 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
Just wondering if we are allowed to lock our check in luggage?
Only with a TSA approved lock (which they can then open with their master key). I think otherwise, they'll just bust open the lock
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #755

What about those combination lock that's on the luggage itself? They'll bust it open?
So there is no way to protect against theft?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #756
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,214 Posts
Failed 613 Times in 192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
What about those combination lock that's on the luggage itself? They'll bust it open?
So there is no way to protect against theft?
There are combination locks with TSA support.

Honestly though, nothing would prevent one from busting open a luggage if enough incentive is given.

However, your best bet would be getting a luggage that doesn't use zipper (they can be opened in 3sec flat... I shit you not) or at least one that locks the zipper opener in one place.

Or you know... just don't leave any valuable in check-in.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #757

Ya my luggage has a built in combination lock that locks the zipper in place. Am I allowed to use that?
My cologne and headphones got stolen on my last trip.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #758

Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,214 Posts
Failed 613 Times in 192 Posts
TBH, I wouldn't use any luggage with zipper. The lock that stays in place only prevents them easily cover up what they did. (see the video, they need to move the zipper to close it back) However, nothing is preventing them from stealing in the first place.

Check out Samsonite or Rimowa, they both have models that use latch instead of zipper. I got a Samsonite Flite a while back at Winners and TJMaxx (once in CA and another in US) for ~100. They are made of heavy duty polycarbonate (very hard, not the filmsy ones) and had the latch. It's something I'd highly recommend if you are on budget (currently the spinner is 138USD on Amazon.com, haven't checked Canadian). I had them prior switching to Rimowa for aesthetic reasons. However, I gave them to my parents and another 3yrs and a few RTW flight later, they are still holding just like day one (except a lot of nicks and scuffs, but nothing serious)

If money is no issue and security is top priority, Pelican makes a few amazing luggage cases. But they are heavy, quite expensive and ugly as hell.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #759
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
^ Second Rimowa..Zero Halliburton also makes some nice/durable luggage
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #760
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,381 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Samsonite Flite
YUP, this is the ONLY luggage I use now. hard as fuck, locks are great and not a single zipper. Honestly, people say oh it's so heavy, it's less than 2 pounds difference compared to a soft shell. I got a bright orange one, i never ever ever have to worry if my black luggage is the same black luggage as everyone else.

For Pelican; I use them for my camera gear; scuba diving $7000 + setup, you'll have customized foam to ensure it fits exactly ur strobes and camera. that's the ONLY reason why I use the Pelican; (or for works, when I'm transporting a demo unit that's $9000 setup etc.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #761

Thanked 2,917 Times in 758 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
AIR CANADA NEW LIVERY. LOOKS like their old one from the 80s-90s.

OLD ONE from the early 90s.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ew-livery.html

Last edited by Acura604; 02-09-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #762
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,369 Times in 2,400 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Watch: Jet Airways 77W intercepted by German Air Force Planes - Live from a Lounge

Last edited by Harvey Specter; 02-19-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #763
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Videos all gone now.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #764
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
There are combination locks with TSA support.

Honestly though, nothing would prevent one from busting open a luggage if enough incentive is given.

However, your best bet would be getting a luggage that doesn't use zipper (they can be opened in 3sec flat... I shit you not) or at least one that locks the zipper opener in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpKhHwwtiY

Or you know... just don't leave any valuable in check-in.
Yea I only leave clothes, and maybe a bottle of wine in the check luggage. Anything expensive is with me at all times. There were news like last year where someone left like 20k on cash in their check luggage and it went missing after.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #765
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,381 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
I'm going clarify a bit as I've read multiple articles; let me try to find the articles.

A lot of Asians were putting a large amount of cash on their HAND CARRY. During the long flights, there were people reaching stealing from the hand luggage on the overhead bunks.

True story below

There was a man who was seen taking out luggages form over head and then walking back into this own seat. One guy found it awkward and notified the air stewardess. They were notified but did NOTHING because the air stewardess were told they need evidence to catch the guy.

So over the course or 5 hours, everyone around a few of his seats acted normal; the stewardess were in constant monitoring and local police was contacted. They monitored this guy and within the 5 hours and was saw him constantly going to the bathroom each time he reached into overhead cabins & taking the hand carry luggages back to his seat.

All in all, it was a joint effort happened and police were called on board. Were told to not move their seats; and the guy quickly went to the bathroom (no idea what he did) but he was then arrested. With multiple witnesses and seeing him in action; this actions + cash evidence with a few people's joint efforts, he was arrested.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #766
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
How strict is ANA on their baggage restrictions?

So I'm allowed two free check-in pieces, one carry-on within x dimensions, and one personal item which they say is "In addition to personal belongings(handbags, laptops, cameras, umbrellas, etc.)"

They don't specify with dimension like, for example Air Canada does where they actually say dimensions for the personal item, so I was wondering if I would run into any trouble bringing a backpack that would be classified as okay on Air Canada as a personal item.

I know I could just check-in the one bag and keep my backpack as the carry-on, but I would prefer to be in and out of the airport with my stuff in a timely matter.

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,558 Times in 2,526 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post

So I'm allowed two free check-in pieces, one carry-on within x dimensions, and one personal item which they say is "In addition to personal belongings(handbags, laptops, cameras, umbrellas, etc.)"

They don't specify with dimension like, for example Air Canada does where they actually say dimensions for the personal item, so I was wondering if I would run into any trouble bringing a backpack that would be classified as okay on Air Canada as a personal item.

I know I could just check-in the one bag and keep my backpack as the carry-on, but I would prefer to be in and out of the airport with my stuff in a timely matter.

Thoughts?
As long as it stows under the seat in front of you completely it should be fine.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #768
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Japan is probably of the best airports to retrieve luggage from. They are very punctual and efficient.

However, in regards to your question, yes, you should be OK.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #769
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 93 Times in 31 Posts
Recently landed in Narita airport. Scary as fuck with horrible crosswinds. Plane tried to land and aborted. 2nd attempt with success. Everyone applauded the captain at the end. This 2nd attempt delayed arrival by an hour but totally worth the safe landing.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #770
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,108 Times in 1,280 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Japanese can be pretty anal on carry on luggage but then I was on a LCC. They had a person at the gate to make sure you have one bag of duty free purchases only.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #771
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Recently landed in Narita airport. Scary as fuck with horrible crosswinds. Plane tried to land and aborted. 2nd attempt with success. Everyone applauded the captain at the end. This 2nd attempt delayed arrival by an hour but totally worth the safe landing.
when i went last month, my flight was delayed 2 hrs leaving due to weather at narita. when we got there we circled for 30 min, and the ride down was like a roller coaster haha. landed first try.

my friend coming from HK, his flight was delayed an hour leaving, and then tried 3 times to land and ended up diverting to Kansai to refuel lol.

he was supposed to land 1hr before me... he got to narita 3 hours after me haha.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #772
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,427 Times in 561 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
when i went last month, my flight was delayed 2 hrs leaving due to weather at narita. when we got there we circled for 30 min, and the ride down was like a roller coaster haha. landed first try.

my friend coming from HK, his flight was delayed an hour leaving, and then tried 3 times to land and ended up diverting to Kansai to refuel lol.

he was supposed to land 1hr before me... he got to narita 3 hours after me haha.
I find the air currents going into Japan always give some some mean turbulence. Never had to go-around though, but you can see some crazy videos on youtube with the cross-winds at Narita like this one:
Going again in 2 months, can't wait! JAL 787's are the best
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #773
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Aiming to fly back to Hong Kong end of April. I have over 100K+ RBC Avion points I want to use towards flight travel.

Would it be ideal I book a premium economy flight and use some points to go up to business class? Looks like I would need to convert the Avion to Asia Miles as I want to fly on Cathay Pacific. I did some quick research $2500 round trip for premium economy + 30,000 Asia Miles. Avion converts 1:1 to Asia Miles.

Anyone have experience and can chime in?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #774
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,833 Times in 5,622 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post

I just flew ANA, checked 2 full size suitcases and walked onto the plane no questions asked with a regular sized Herschel style backpack (filled to the max) on my back and a manpurse/sling style backpack (also full to the max) held in my hand. Hope that helps.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #775
private modder

Thanked 2,753 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Aiming to fly back to Hong Kong end of April. I have over 100K+ RBC Avion points I want to use towards flight travel.

Would it be ideal I book a premium economy flight and use some points to go up to business class? Looks like I would need to convert the Avion to Asia Miles as I want to fly on Cathay Pacific. I did some quick research $2500 round trip for premium economy + 30,000 Asia Miles. Avion converts 1:1 to Asia Miles.

Anyone have experience and can chime in?
I don't have experience with Asia Miles but from what I know, your upgrade is not guaranteed. After transferring the points and purchasing the PY ticket, you can request to be on the waitlist for an upgrade. You'd also need to make sure the fare class you are purchasing is in fact upgradable. Whether or not that upgrade clears is dependent on flight loads and the number of status fliers on the list who will get priority over you (without status, you're at the bottom of the list). Worst case is you're flying PY and stuck with 30,000 Asia miles in your account.

You can also consider converting Avion to AAdvantage and redeem for business or first class on Cathay, granted that would take a lot more than 30k avion points.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote