REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Used Porsche Cayman or Brand New Toyota GT86 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693315-used-porsche-cayman-brand-new-toyota-gt86.html)

GomGom 03-06-2014 01:54 AM

Used Porsche Cayman or Brand New Toyota GT86

Hey guys, it sounds a bit stupid to ask but I really wanna hear what you think.

Fact:
- 2010-2011 Porsche Cayman (not S) is 150% (one and a half) more expensive than GT86 in my area.
- Cayman is more respectable than GT86 (who does not want to drive a porsche)
- GT86 sounds more fun as a toy car. You can mod it and play with it without worrying too much. Cayman parts are more expensive for sure.
- Cayman's warranty has expired, GT86 on the other hand has a full warranty (unless you mod it)
- I do not have flexibility to find the perfect cayman colour as it's a used car, I can choose my fav colour on the GT86
- Gas wise, Cayman consumes more than GT86 but I could care less about it.

Money wise, I can afford the cayman. I searched around on youtube how people compare those two, it's still hard to easily decide even to the reviewers.

What do you think? Would you prefer to buy a more expensive used Porsche Cayman or save your 1/3 of the Cayman price and buy GT86 and mod it to your liking?

Cheers

SpeedStars 03-06-2014 02:00 AM

Maintenance. The cayman is a performance car hence it will have a higher maintenance cost in comparison with the gt86. Youd best ask yourself if you can afford a cayman + the maintenance cost associated with owning one. Performance wise, they're completely different cars. One is a FR low powered car that you can hoon on skinny tires and the other is basically a watered down version of the 911 that only does *average*. I'd suggest test driving them both though for your personal taste.

MindBomber 03-06-2014 02:08 AM

I would buy the Cayman because, ultimately, Porsche > Toyota.

zilley 03-06-2014 02:08 AM

I much prefer the cayman, I think it will look better than anyway you could possibly mod the frs, but thats just me and my personal opinon.

mb_ 03-06-2014 02:17 AM

If I could easily afford owning a Cayman (initial purchase price, insurance, maintenance, etc), I'd take it over an FRS in a heart beat. I've never driven an FRS so I can't compare the driving experience between the two.
Posted via RS Mobile

GomGom 03-06-2014 02:20 AM

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately, test driving is not possible to do it here. I wish I can test drive like I usually do before purchasing car in Vanc. One of my favourite car is Porsche 911 GT3 and for now, I do not have a budget for it yet.

Does anyone here have experience owning and maintaining Porsche Cayman? I wonder how much it will cost me? I know for sure it will be more expensive but by how much. I upgraded from Acura CSX that only cares about oil change every 3-4 months that costed around $60-80 each service; to MB CLK350 that costed me $300ish but lasted for a year. Well, that case, I do not spend much more than CSX, until big replacement parts occur.

Again, thanks for your insight, buddy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8429740)
Maintenance. The cayman is a performance car hence it will have a higher maintenance cost in comparison with the gt86. Youd best ask yourself if you can afford a cayman + the maintenance cost associated with owning one. Performance wise, they're completely different cars. One is a FR low powered car that you can hoon on skinny tires and the other is basically a watered down version of the 911 that only does *average*. I'd suggest test driving them both though for your personal taste.

v_tec 03-06-2014 02:26 AM

Curious, where are you located [currently]?

There's not really much of a used market for Cayman in Vancouver.

Timpo 03-06-2014 02:42 AM

If you're gonna mod it, I think Cayman is better

http://www.autolake.com/wp-content/u...Club-Sport.jpg
http://img.modifiedcars.com/c/h/141/56237_426764.jpg

Timpo 03-06-2014 02:44 AM

with Kreissieg exhaust, Cayman will sound better than FRS

GomGom 03-06-2014 08:07 AM

Looks like it much more toward the Cayman from seeing that body kit mod. After looking at some used porsche in my area, for the same money as 2010 Cayman, I can afford 2001 911 Carrera. But it's 2001, meaning, 13 years of problems might come out, no?

SB7 03-06-2014 08:19 AM

PPI is power.. Make sure if you're looking at 996 911's that the RMS and IMS bearing issue has been fixed. There are a few ways to go about this but the most important thing is documentation from a reputable shop.

If you can find an example owned by a few enthusiasts, low mileage, a clean history, and no major accidents, I wouldn't be thrown off by it. It would also help a lot if you could do the basic maintenance yourself since if you do everything through MCL or even Weissach it will cost you.

It really depends what you want, but just don't pick up the cheapest ones you can find. Make sure to do a bunch of test drives of different models and bring a friend whose mechanically inclined if you've got one. I've seen 996 911's for as low as 16-17k and caymans at around 25k~ Might also be a good idea to check the US market for Caymans since theres a lot more available.

freakshow 03-06-2014 08:22 AM

If you can afford the maintenance, go with the cayman..

ScratchedMy991 03-06-2014 08:29 AM

Based on what you've written, and the fact that you're even considering a 13 year-old Carrera, it seems as if the Cayman is at the limits of your budget. You've yet to factor in the (highly) increased costs of maintenance, insurance, fuel consumption, and type of fuel required over merely the purchasing price.

If that's the case, the answer is a no brainer. You'll have plenty of fun with the GT86.

In your area.

ScratchedMy991 03-06-2014 08:34 AM

On a side note, I can't help but notice that you're comparing two auto manufacturers at almost opposite ends of the reliability spectrum.

My brief experience thus far with the 991 has been an electronic nightmare, whereas a friend's Cressida has yet to give a SINGLE problem.

123654123 03-06-2014 08:37 AM

the fact that you mentioned that the cayman is 150% more expensive, warranty is expired and that parts are premium tells me you're still somewhat price sensitive about the cost of buying and maintaining one. if that's the case don't buy one cars are stupid investments.

but if you can really afford one then there's no point to this thread, its hands down the cayman. the two cars are not comparable. the only thing the frs has going for it in this debate is that its cheaper, somewhat more practical and you'll be the first owner, but if you have the money those points are invalid.

heleu 03-06-2014 08:38 AM

I think you should go on the Cayman/Porsche forums to see what you should be budgeting for maintenance. My guess is is $2K to $5K per year, depending on if you can wrench yourself. All the consumables (e.g. tires) are waay more expensive for higher powered cars.

The FR-S/BRZ will probably be about the same maintenance as your CSX...

Z3guy 03-06-2014 08:40 AM

get the pcar, once you go pcar, you won't look back. The cayman is the best handling porsche out there. Don't listen to people who say the 911 is a better. There is a reason Porsche does not drop in a 3.6 or 3.8 in the cayman. Hans Stuck, who is the godfather of porsche factory drivers prefers the cayman to the 991.
Maintenance on a pcar is not that expensive, get a PPI and change your fluids regularly. Not much really goes wrong on modern pcars. Consumables like pads and clutches are expensive though, but worth it.

JoshuaWong 03-06-2014 08:40 AM

If you don't need the back seat, can afford the maintenance, I would go for the Cayman. You really can't go wrong with either car IMO.

dared3vil0 03-06-2014 09:34 AM

It all depends on your budget, if the Cayman uses more than ~70% of your budget, there's a good chance money could be a problem (depending of your financial situation, whether fixed income etc) when it comes time to catch up on all the maintenance the previous owner neglected to do.

With that said however, the FRS/BRZ is a slow car. It may handle like a go-kart, I really like the way it looks (my opinion) but at the end of the day you only have 200bhp. Short of forced induction, the FRS/BRZ just doesn't have... anything really... in a straight line. In the twisties however, it's in a league of its own. Good luck, OP.

PJ 03-06-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3guy (Post 8429824)
get the pcar, once you go pcar, you won't look back. The cayman is the best handling porsche out there. Don't listen to people who say the 911 is a better. There is a reason Porsche does not drop in a 3.6 or 3.8 in the cayman. Hans Stuck, who is the godfather of porsche factory drivers prefers the cayman to the 991.
Maintenance on a pcar is not that expensive, get a PPI and change your fluids regularly. Not much really goes wrong on modern pcars. Consumables like pads and clutches are expensive though, but worth it.

This.

I was heartbeats away from buying a used Cayman a couple years ago, but ultimately decided not to. My friend has a 911, and contrary to popular belief, the maintenance on modern Porsches isn't that bad if you're just using it as a daily driver, and depending on where you get it serviced/how much you want to do yourself. Like z3guy said, modern Porsches are actually pretty reliable. But brakes, clutches, tires are where you'll see the big price differences.

The Porsche and the Scion are completely different, so it really depends on what you want. Personally, the FRS looks a little too kiddish for my taste, but that's just me.

kwy 03-06-2014 09:39 AM

If you can actually afford it, the Cayman all day. The most expensive thing you could buy is a cheap Porsche.

trollguy 03-06-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8429858)
It all depends on your budget, if the Cayman uses more than ~70% of your budget, there's a good chance money could be a problem (depending of your financial situation, whether fixed income etc) when it comes time to catch up on all the maintenance the previous owner neglected to do.

With that said however, the FRS/BRZ is a slow car. It may handle like a go-kart, I really like the way it looks (my opinion) but at the end of the day you only have 200bhp. Short of forced induction, the FRS/BRZ just doesn't have... anything really... in a straight line. In the twisties however, it's in a league of its own. Good luck, OP.

Is this in reference to it's price point? People always say this about slow (aka low HP) cars.

trollguy 03-06-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8429861)
This.

I was heartbeats away from buying a used Cayman a couple years ago, but ultimately decided not to. My friend has a 911, and contrary to popular belief, the maintenance on modern Porsches isn't that bad if you're just using it as a daily driver, and depending on where you get it serviced/how much you want to do yourself. Like z3guy said, modern Porsches are actually pretty reliable. But brakes, clutches, tires are where you'll see the big price differences.

The Porsche and the Scion are completely different, so it really depends on what you want. Personally, the FRS looks a little too kiddish for my taste, but that's just me.

The maintenance on a track driven 911 isn't bad at all as well. I know someone who tracked his 03 996TT on a regular basis. Modded to 600HP. Zero reliability issues.

PJ 03-06-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowguy (Post 8429871)
The maintenance on a track driven 911 isn't bad at all as well. I know someone who tracked his 03 996TT on a regular basis. Modded to 600HP. Zero reliability issues.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I just presumed due to increased wear on suspension, bearings, etc. But I guess that solidifies their reliability!

trollguy 03-06-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8429877)
Oh, I don't doubt it. I just presumed due to increased wear on suspension, bearings, etc. But I guess that solidifies their reliability!

Oh sorry, I was just adding on to your point; not trying to knock your knowledge :)

Damn, now I want a Cayman..