REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Used Porsche Cayman or Brand New Toyota GT86

Hey guys, it sounds a bit stupid to ask but I really wanna hear what you think.

Fact:
- 2010-2011 Porsche Cayman (not S) is 150% (one and a half) more expensive than GT86 in my area.
- Cayman is more respectable than GT86 (who does not want to drive a porsche)
- GT86 sounds more fun as a toy car. You can mod it and play with it without worrying too much. Cayman parts are more expensive for sure.
- Cayman's warranty has expired, GT86 on the other hand has a full warranty (unless you mod it)
- I do not have flexibility to find the perfect cayman colour as it's a used car, I can choose my fav colour on the GT86
- Gas wise, Cayman consumes more than GT86 but I could care less about it.

Money wise, I can afford the cayman. I searched around on youtube how people compare those two, it's still hard to easily decide even to the reviewers.

What do you think? Would you prefer to buy a more expensive used Porsche Cayman or save your 1/3 of the Cayman price and buy GT86 and mod it to your liking?

Cheers
Advertisement
GomGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Maintenance. The cayman is a performance car hence it will have a higher maintenance cost in comparison with the gt86. Youd best ask yourself if you can afford a cayman + the maintenance cost associated with owning one. Performance wise, they're completely different cars. One is a FR low powered car that you can hoon on skinny tires and the other is basically a watered down version of the 911 that only does *average*. I'd suggest test driving them both though for your personal taste.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I would buy the Cayman because, ultimately, Porsche > Toyota.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
I much prefer the cayman, I think it will look better than anyway you could possibly mod the frs, but thats just me and my personal opinon.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
If I could easily afford owning a Cayman (initial purchase price, insurance, maintenance, etc), I'd take it over an FRS in a heart beat. I've never driven an FRS so I can't compare the driving experience between the two.
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately, test driving is not possible to do it here. I wish I can test drive like I usually do before purchasing car in Vanc. One of my favourite car is Porsche 911 GT3 and for now, I do not have a budget for it yet.

Does anyone here have experience owning and maintaining Porsche Cayman? I wonder how much it will cost me? I know for sure it will be more expensive but by how much. I upgraded from Acura CSX that only cares about oil change every 3-4 months that costed around $60-80 each service; to MB CLK350 that costed me $300ish but lasted for a year. Well, that case, I do not spend much more than CSX, until big replacement parts occur.

Again, thanks for your insight, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Maintenance. The cayman is a performance car hence it will have a higher maintenance cost in comparison with the gt86. Youd best ask yourself if you can afford a cayman + the maintenance cost associated with owning one. Performance wise, they're completely different cars. One is a FR low powered car that you can hoon on skinny tires and the other is basically a watered down version of the 911 that only does *average*. I'd suggest test driving them both though for your personal taste.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Curious, where are you located [currently]?

There's not really much of a used market for Cayman in Vancouver.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
If you're gonna mod it, I think Cayman is better

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
with Kreissieg exhaust, Cayman will sound better than FRS

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Looks like it much more toward the Cayman from seeing that body kit mod. After looking at some used porsche in my area, for the same money as 2010 Cayman, I can afford 2001 911 Carrera. But it's 2001, meaning, 13 years of problems might come out, no?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
PPI is power.. Make sure if you're looking at 996 911's that the RMS and IMS bearing issue has been fixed. There are a few ways to go about this but the most important thing is documentation from a reputable shop.

If you can find an example owned by a few enthusiasts, low mileage, a clean history, and no major accidents, I wouldn't be thrown off by it. It would also help a lot if you could do the basic maintenance yourself since if you do everything through MCL or even Weissach it will cost you.

It really depends what you want, but just don't pick up the cheapest ones you can find. Make sure to do a bunch of test drives of different models and bring a friend whose mechanically inclined if you've got one. I've seen 996 911's for as low as 16-17k and caymans at around 25k~ Might also be a good idea to check the US market for Caymans since theres a lot more available.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
If you can afford the maintenance, go with the cayman..
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Based on what you've written, and the fact that you're even considering a 13 year-old Carrera, it seems as if the Cayman is at the limits of your budget. You've yet to factor in the (highly) increased costs of maintenance, insurance, fuel consumption, and type of fuel required over merely the purchasing price.

If that's the case, the answer is a no brainer. You'll have plenty of fun with the GT86.

In your area.

Last edited by ScratchedMy991; 03-06-2014 at 08:34 AM.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

On a side note, I can't help but notice that you're comparing two auto manufacturers at almost opposite ends of the reliability spectrum.

My brief experience thus far with the 991 has been an electronic nightmare, whereas a friend's Cressida has yet to give a SINGLE problem.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

the fact that you mentioned that the cayman is 150% more expensive, warranty is expired and that parts are premium tells me you're still somewhat price sensitive about the cost of buying and maintaining one. if that's the case don't buy one cars are stupid investments.

but if you can really afford one then there's no point to this thread, its hands down the cayman. the two cars are not comparable. the only thing the frs has going for it in this debate is that its cheaper, somewhat more practical and you'll be the first owner, but if you have the money those points are invalid.
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think you should go on the Cayman/Porsche forums to see what you should be budgeting for maintenance. My guess is is $2K to $5K per year, depending on if you can wrench yourself. All the consumables (e.g. tires) are waay more expensive for higher powered cars.

The FR-S/BRZ will probably be about the same maintenance as your CSX...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
get the pcar, once you go pcar, you won't look back. The cayman is the best handling porsche out there. Don't listen to people who say the 911 is a better. There is a reason Porsche does not drop in a 3.6 or 3.8 in the cayman. Hans Stuck, who is the godfather of porsche factory drivers prefers the cayman to the 991.
Maintenance on a pcar is not that expensive, get a PPI and change your fluids regularly. Not much really goes wrong on modern pcars. Consumables like pads and clutches are expensive though, but worth it.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
If you don't need the back seat, can afford the maintenance, I would go for the Cayman. You really can't go wrong with either car IMO.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
It all depends on your budget, if the Cayman uses more than ~70% of your budget, there's a good chance money could be a problem (depending of your financial situation, whether fixed income etc) when it comes time to catch up on all the maintenance the previous owner neglected to do.

With that said however, the FRS/BRZ is a slow car. It may handle like a go-kart, I really like the way it looks (my opinion) but at the end of the day you only have 200bhp. Short of forced induction, the FRS/BRZ just doesn't have... anything really... in a straight line. In the twisties however, it's in a league of its own. Good luck, OP.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
get the pcar, once you go pcar, you won't look back. The cayman is the best handling porsche out there. Don't listen to people who say the 911 is a better. There is a reason Porsche does not drop in a 3.6 or 3.8 in the cayman. Hans Stuck, who is the godfather of porsche factory drivers prefers the cayman to the 991.
Maintenance on a pcar is not that expensive, get a PPI and change your fluids regularly. Not much really goes wrong on modern pcars. Consumables like pads and clutches are expensive though, but worth it.
This.

I was heartbeats away from buying a used Cayman a couple years ago, but ultimately decided not to. My friend has a 911, and contrary to popular belief, the maintenance on modern Porsches isn't that bad if you're just using it as a daily driver, and depending on where you get it serviced/how much you want to do yourself. Like z3guy said, modern Porsches are actually pretty reliable. But brakes, clutches, tires are where you'll see the big price differences.

The Porsche and the Scion are completely different, so it really depends on what you want. Personally, the FRS looks a little too kiddish for my taste, but that's just me.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
If you can actually afford it, the Cayman all day. The most expensive thing you could buy is a cheap Porsche.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
It all depends on your budget, if the Cayman uses more than ~70% of your budget, there's a good chance money could be a problem (depending of your financial situation, whether fixed income etc) when it comes time to catch up on all the maintenance the previous owner neglected to do.

With that said however, the FRS/BRZ is a slow car. It may handle like a go-kart, I really like the way it looks (my opinion) but at the end of the day you only have 200bhp. Short of forced induction, the FRS/BRZ just doesn't have... anything really... in a straight line. In the twisties however, it's in a league of its own. Good luck, OP.
Is this in reference to it's price point? People always say this about slow (aka low HP) cars.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
This.

I was heartbeats away from buying a used Cayman a couple years ago, but ultimately decided not to. My friend has a 911, and contrary to popular belief, the maintenance on modern Porsches isn't that bad if you're just using it as a daily driver, and depending on where you get it serviced/how much you want to do yourself. Like z3guy said, modern Porsches are actually pretty reliable. But brakes, clutches, tires are where you'll see the big price differences.

The Porsche and the Scion are completely different, so it really depends on what you want. Personally, the FRS looks a little too kiddish for my taste, but that's just me.
The maintenance on a track driven 911 isn't bad at all as well. I know someone who tracked his 03 996TT on a regular basis. Modded to 600HP. Zero reliability issues.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
The maintenance on a track driven 911 isn't bad at all as well. I know someone who tracked his 03 996TT on a regular basis. Modded to 600HP. Zero reliability issues.
Oh, I don't doubt it. I just presumed due to increased wear on suspension, bearings, etc. But I guess that solidifies their reliability!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Oh, I don't doubt it. I just presumed due to increased wear on suspension, bearings, etc. But I guess that solidifies their reliability!
Oh sorry, I was just adding on to your point; not trying to knock your knowledge

Damn, now I want a Cayman..
This post thanked by: