REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #426
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is pretty slimy move by the gov't... it's essentially bribe money!
B.C. Teachers' Strike Can't Be Solved With Hush Money And Guilt Trips | Ashley D. MacKenzie
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #427
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
This is pretty slimy move by the gov't... it's essentially bribe money!
I don't really disagree with that to some extent, it's also being used to tip the negotiating power into there favor. I believe your wife is a teacher you and your family have a huge interest in how this plays out and if I were you I'd be pissed.

I have kids as well and I also have an interest in how this plays out. My wife and I both work and don't have the luxury of family looking after our kid unless it's an emergency and like many we have to pay for before and after school care. I realize school is not a daycare but when schools on strike we have to pay an additional $200.00 per week for our one child. When it comes down to it those are real costs that I have to bare every time the teachers strike as a parent and as a taxpayer I'm glad the Government did what it did.

I really hope this thing gets settled before the start of the school year and this whole $40.00 thing is a mute point.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #428

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't really disagree with that to some extent, it's also being used to tip the negotiating power into there favor. I believe your wife is a teacher you and your family have a huge interest in how this plays out and if I were you I'd be pissed.

I have kids as well and I also have an interest in how this plays out. My wife and I both work and don't have the luxury of family looking after our kid unless it's an emergency and like many we have to pay for before and after school care. I realize school is not a daycare but when schools on strike we have to pay an additional $200.00 per week for our one child. When it comes down to it those are real costs that I have to bare every time the teachers strike as a parent and as a taxpayer I'm glad the Government did what it did.

I really hope this thing gets settled before the start of the school year and this whole $40.00 thing is a mute point.
Nope, neither of us are teachers. I don't want the $40/day; I just want my kid to go to school in September.

And I do have the luxury of having the grandparents watch him, but even they will get sick of seeing each other. Plus, my wife is currently on mat leave, but she would rather focus her attention on the baby.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #429
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Negotiators for B.C.’s striking teachers and the government have agreed to meet on Aug. 8, in the first bargaining session since the school year was ended by the strike in mid-June.
Striking B.C. teachers, government to return to contract talks
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #430
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Successful pandering tactic is successful? We shall see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #431
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The government giving some cash back to parents is no different than the teachers constantly spouting off how this "isnt for us, its for the kids"

2 different tactics to try to win the public. Which neither party should be using public opinion to sway an employment negotiation.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #432

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
...neither party should be using public opinion to sway an employment negotiation.
This is one of the main problems: if they put in half as much time and energy at the bargaining table as they do mouthpiecing through the media (especially fucking Iker and his weekly press conferences to announce nothing had changed), this would have been solved before it ever started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #433

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
B.C. budget runs billions short for education and health: report

B.C. budget runs billions short for education and health: report

Spending constraints will mean less funding for students and patients over the next three years, according to Conference Board of Canada

By Tara Carman, Vancouver Sun August 7, 2014

B.C. will need to spend $1.6 billion more than it has budgeted on education and $1.8 billion more on health care to maintain a constant level of spending over the next three years, according to a newly released Conference Board of Canada report.

The report, entitled British Columbia Fiscal Snapshot: Back on Solid Ground, notes that the 2014 budget caps education spending to increases of 0.6 per cent per year between now and 2017, “a rate of growth that has only occurred once in the last 10 fiscal years.”

Education spending, which the Conference Board defines as all government funding to public, private and post-secondary institutions, would need to increase by an annual average rate of 2.7 per cent, or $1.6 billion over three years, to maintain inflation-adjusted funding per student, the report said. The board took into account average funding per student, projected enrolment and inflation in its analysis.

Elementary school teachers’ salaries account for about three-quarters of the funding per student figure, said the Conference Board’s Matthew Stewart, and that figure is consistent across all provinces.

The average weekly wage for elementary teachers in B.C. is $1,022, compared with the Canadian average of $1,019, “which is pretty much on par,” Stewart said. Funding per student, however, is above the Canadian average.

B.C. Teachers’ Federation vice-president Glen Hansman said because the Conference Board combined government funding for public schools with post-secondary and private schools in its analysis, the funding-per-student figure is higher than it would be for public schools alone.

But he agreed with the report’s assertion that it will take significant reinvestment of funding to maintain service levels.

The government has budgeted the same amount of money for the 2014-15 school year as for the previous year, Hansman said, but costs such as hydro, gas for school buses and possibly wages for teachers and support staff are all going up.

“That just translates into ... cuts in service,” he said, noting that many school boards went through cost-cutting exercises in the spring.

“Even when you take declining enrolment into consideration ... the cuts have been greater than what would flow simply out of a decline in student population. The cuts have been because funding hasn’t kept pace with inflation.”

It’s a similar story with health care. The Conference Board notes in the report that the B.C. government has capped increases to health care spending at 2.6 per cent over the next three years, but estimates the province would have to increase spending by 4.3 per cent over the same period to maintain current levels of service, allowing for inflation and demographic change.

Add in another half-per-cent increase to cover new equipment or drug coverage approvals and the projected cost rises to 4.8 per cent, or $2.3 billion over budget, Stewart said.

“You can restrain the budget to anything in the short term, but in the long term with demand from the aging population and population growth, eventually it creates a large problem, unless you find productivity improvements, and provinces have not been successful on that front in the past,” he commented.

B.C.’s health spending per capita is much lower than in most other provinces once demographics are factored into the data, the report said.

This comes as no surprise to Christine Sorensen, vice-president of the B.C. Nurses’ Union.

“We certainly have seen an increased workload. Staffing levels are really challenging nurses’ ability to provide safe patient care,” she said, noting that ongoing overcrowding problems at Surrey Memorial in particular are a good example.

If the government fails to provide even enough funding to preserve the status quo, “patient care will suffer in this province, patients will wait, patients will continue to be provided care in hallways, urgent situations will be missed and patients will be put at risk,” Sorensen said.

Finance Minister Mike de Jong was not available for an interview, but said in a written statement that B.C. posted a modest surplus of $353 million for the last fiscal year despite lower-than-forecast revenues.

“This helps preserve our AAA credit rating and results in lower borrowing costs. While the fiscal plan does show continued spending discipline, spending in health and education sectors is not being reduced, and positive outcomes are being maintained.”

NDP finance critic Carole James accused the government of improving its own balance sheet by downloading costs onto school boards, health authorities and taxpayers, citing increased hydro rates, ICBC and MSP premiums as examples.

“You’re paying more, you’re getting less in services, less in support,” she said.

On the revenue side, the Conference Board said B.C. represents a good-news story, with its forecasts even more optimistic than those of the government due to the strength of the lumber and shipbuilding sectors, Stewart said.

“Overall, British Columbia is in a sound fiscal position and, while it will face mounting cost pressures for health and education spending, it is in a much better position to deal with these challenges relative to most other provinces,” the report concluded.

James disagreed, saying in an interview that a strong economy needs a healthy, well-educated workforce. The Conference Board analysis shows the government’s projections for health care and education spending, though higher than previous years, will in fact amount to billions in cuts because of rising costs.

“To think of seeing those kinds of massive cuts in education and health care simply is not sustainable, nor is it responsible, because it will have a huge impact on the economy of British Columbia if we start seeing those kinds of cuts to both critical services in our province,” she said.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #434
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Nope, neither of us are teachers. I don't want the $40/day; I just want my kid to go to school in September.

And I do have the luxury of having the grandparents watch him, but even they will get sick of seeing each other. Plus, my wife is currently on mat leave, but she would rather focus her attention on the baby.
How come only parents get it? Shouldn't everyone who lives in BC gets the money as well? Because to me it is unused tax revenue the gov have (coz teacher on strike so they don't pay them) Since everyone who lives in BC pays tax towards education we all should get $40/per day from the gov.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #435
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
How come only parents get it? Shouldn't everyone who lives in BC gets the money as well? Because to me it is unused tax revenue the gov have (coz teacher on strike so they don't pay them) Since everyone who lives in BC pays tax towards education we all should get $40/per day from the gov.
The $40 a day is good will from the government to help out parents with young kids who have to utilize day care while school is not in session. The $40 a day is not to give the citizens back their unused money.

The government and teachers are in this stalemate because the government is pushing the budget to the limit. Money is tight, you ain't seeing shit back from the government, just be happy if they don't raise your taxes after the teachers are done taking all our lunch money.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #436
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The $40 a day is good will from the government to help out parents with young kids who have to utilize day care while school is not in session. The $40 a day is not to give the citizens back their unused money.
What HappySlip is getting at is, why do I (as a SINK/DINK) have to pay towards the education of other people's kids, and when there is money being saved in that same fund that I paid towards, it's only paid out to people with kids. Is the government unfairly rewarding certain lifestyles (w/ kids) over others (no kids)?

/devilsadvocate /toomuchphilosophy /rabbithole /stirthepot
Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #437
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
What HappySlip is getting at is, why do I (as a SINK/DINK) have to pay towards the education of other people's kids, and when there is money being saved in that same fund that I paid towards, it's only paid out to people with kids. Is the government unfairly rewarding certain lifestyles (w/ kids) over others (no kids)?

This logic seems false to me, as you don't singularly pay for the education of other people's kids.

You pay taxes, which pays for a plethora of things, which includes public education.

So, of the 100% taxes that you pay, if 0.4% is used for education, and 0.94% of that 0.4% was unused due to the teacher's strike, you're saying it makes financial and common sense to return said miniscule percentage to every single tax payer?

Yes I pulled the numbers out of my ass, but the government is not rewarding people with children; they are using money that they've collected to address an ongoing problem.

Whether this address is correct or not, or whether the government is using any of the collected money correctly is another issue, but to say that this $40 payout is "unfair" is stretching it, in my humble opinion.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #438
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
This logic seems false to me, as you don't singularly pay for the education of other people's kids.

You pay taxes, which pays for a plethora of things, which includes public education.

So, of the 100% taxes that you pay, if 0.4% is used for education, and 0.94% of that 0.4% was unused due to the teacher's strike, you're saying it makes financial and common sense to return said miniscule percentage to every single tax payer?

Yes I pulled the numbers out of my ass, but the government is not rewarding people with children; they are using money that they've collected to address an ongoing problem.

Whether this address is correct or not, or whether the government is using any of the collected money correctly is another issue, but to say that this $40 payout is "unfair" is stretching it, in my humble opinion.
So why give the money to parents then? They already don't have enough funding for education,shouldn't the gov kept the money and use for education instead of just giving it to parents?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #439

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
So why give the money to parents then? They already don't have enough funding for education,shouldn't the gov kept the money and use for education instead of just giving it to parents?
Politics, nothing more. The Government is trying to gain favor with parents and weaken the teachers negotiating position. Normally when there is a strike teachers use the money that was saved as one of the bargaining chips, the Government is taking that away from them by spending it.

In a perfect world the money would be used to help class sizes or whatever is deemed to be the biggest issue is in the classroom.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #440
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
To help those parents with daycare costs. It is a freaking joke to be honest. They're willing to pay out $13.6 million a day to keep kids out of school. Tells you a lot about our Gov't doesn't it.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #441
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Because politics.

It's all leverage. Why aren't teachers picketing all summer? Don't they want their cause to stay relevant to the topic of the day?

Union uses children as pawns for pressure at the end/start of school year for negotiating a deadline. Gov. found a temprary workaround this time in the form of a minor cash stipend.

Both sides have a long history of fighting dirty and that won't end anytime soon.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #442
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post

There is a collective social benefit to having kids. You actually subsidize other people's children in a variety of ways.

It could even be argued that as a non parent it is YOU who is leeching of the hard work of parents raising the future generation. Certainly your pension and RRSPs would be worthless without a future generation, which is just one example of the economic benefits of children to the childless.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #443
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
You know the government is running a massive deficit building massive debt right? If they should give everyone in the province a handout for a few bucks saved from this, by that logic they should come collect more tax from you to cover the things that are over spent or under funded right?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #444
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
To help those parents with daycare costs. It is a freaking joke to be honest. They're willing to pay out $13.6 million a day to keep kids out of school. Tells you a lot about our Gov't doesn't it.
I think what you meant to say was:

"[the gov't] has to pay $13.6 million a day to families to help with daycare costs, since the teachers are keeping the kids out of school. Tells you a lot about the teachers, doesn't it."

easy to spin any argument any way you want.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #445
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slo View Post
It's all leverage. Why aren't teachers picketing all summer? Don't they want their cause to stay relevant to the topic of the day?
The point of picketing is to be at the workplace when work is supposed to be in session to prevent people from going into work. Pickets for any other industry would make sense year round, but there's nothing to picket in the summer for the school system.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #446

so the question is...are kids going back to school in September?

or are they gonna extend it even more...perhaps October?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #447
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Plenty of things happen in the summer at school, maintenance, painting etc etc.. oh things that make teachers' job easier in the fall.

Also is it smart to keep people you will be working with all year round out of a job for minimal political benefits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The point of picketing is to be at the workplace when work is supposed to be in session to prevent people from going into work. Pickets for any other industry would make sense year round, but there's nothing to picket in the summer for the school system.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #448
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Timpo, are you asking because you still haven't bought your school supplies?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #449

B.C. teachers' strike: talks resume with time running out

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-out-1.2732810

they're talking about october
Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Timpo, are you asking because you still haven't bought your school supplies?