REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #1501
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Not sure how many of you shoot 40 but here's what looks like a pretty good deal.
Not bad at all for .40
I'm in the market for 5.56 again. The last of my 1995 vintage Chinese military ammo is going to be gone soon, and I can't find those ammo crate deals anymore.

Also, International has 9mm Wartek reloads for $60/200 rounds. They're 115g, but for indoor paper shooting it's not a bad price at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I read on CGN this morning that the Swiss are once again manufacturing GP11. Perhaps now pricing can settle back down for the old stock some vendors are trying to sell at inflated prices. Right, Ryan?
Woot!
The way things are going, I'm going to have to get into shooting vintage military rifles. That is, unless some twat lifetime politician from Quebec decides that all military rifles are evil.......
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #1502
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
^ Evildoer!
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #1503
they call me the snowman

Quote:
^ Evildoer!
I know.
It's sad what I have become. I've gone from a being a law abiding, civilized, working family man, to a heinous over capacity mag collector. I didn't even see it coming.

I did however ensure that all of my firearms and ammo are stored seperately and securely. I wouldn't want this to happen to me.

CanadianGunNutz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMagician View Post
I'd like to tell my story in regards to storing firearms and ammunition improperly so that it might help those in the future.

To make this ABUNDANTLY CLEAR. The Court Case is about to be settled. I ALREADY have a lawyer. I have ALREADY been charged. I am about to be convicted. Please keep your "seek legal advice" and "you shouldn't be admitting to this online crap to yourself.

I'm writing this so that anyone who has the misfortune of going through this might gain some insight.

First the story:

April 1, 2016. I get a call at work from our Local Police saying our home (I live with my wife) was broken into and I should come home right away. Thinking that this could be an April Fools prank I phoned the police station and they confirmed the situation.

So I raced home (took 10 minutes) and there were 6 police vehicles in my yard and blocking my street. When I step up to the door I can clearly see the door had been kicked in as there were splinters of wood all over the floor. There were 8 police officers inside and outside (looking very jittery, hands on pistols) my home as I walked up. They confirmed my identity as I walked in the door and told me the situation.

The house had been broken into. The neighbors (with nothing but good intentions) phoned the police before us to report the door was swinging in the wind. They had searched the home to establish that there was no longer anyone there. During the search they discovered I was a firearms enthusiast and that I in fact had some firearms carelessly stored as well as ammunition.

As I walked in and they identified me they told me right off the bat that I was being detained and would potentially be criminally charged for careless storage. I was forced to sit in my dining room for 6 hours as they meticulously photographed and catalogued all of my firearms items. The B & E was completely forgotten.

Shortly after my wife came home and she was politely instructed to "sit down and not move". She was understandably upset as our home had just been broken into and she has many sentimental items as well as a large amount of photography equipment.

Over the course of the six hours I repeatedly asked (politely, always politely) if not me than if my wife could survey the home to establish what had been taken and perhaps help them in their investigation. They told us repeatedly no.

One particularly cheery officer said "How do I know you're not going to go pull out a shotgun and shoot me?" I see his logic although I had been nothing but pleasant, polite and courteous the entire time. Not to mention my wife is crying beside me.

So the officers asked me to write down a list of all the firearms I owned so that they can reconcile what I had downstairs and what I was supposed to have.

I did all of this willingly and also told them where the firearms were as far as my memory could recall. Some people say that you incriminate yourself if you admit to leaving a firearm out, however they're down with the guns looking at them out so whats the point in being silent about it?

At the end of the day I had been arrested. The arresting officer did make the effort to have the charge paperwork and warrants brought to my home to be signed off on as opposed to me having to go down to the police station and me possibly stay the night. So that I appreciate.

VERY LUCKILY none of the firearms had been stolen. It appears the robbers hadn't even gone into the basement (where ALL firearms related items had been stored).

Items stolen included but not limited to:
- Laptop
- 2 Tablets
- 3 iPods
- Phone
- GPS
- Harddrives
- Cash
- Jewellery
- Moisturizer
- Makeup brush
- Shoes
- Tools
- Used boxers (wtf?)
- Socks
- Bags
- Pillow Case
- Gift Cards

Things not taken - Liquor, Guns, Ammo, Prescription Narcotics

After the smoked settled (and I was arrested a second time) I was charged with: 3 counts Unsafe Storage Firearm or Ammunition and 1 count Possession of a Prohibited Device (butterfly knife).

The police seized:

All Ammo
All firearms
All magazines (AR, pistol, Ruger - about 40 in total)
2 incredible Stun Batons
Expandable Asp
Bear Spray
Reloading Supplies
Various knives.
Approx value $20,000.00.

I've now been through the court process. The probable outcome is as follows:
Charged with 1 count Unsafe Storage
Charged with 1 count Prohibited Device
$250.00 fine for Each. $200.00 in admin fees (I think?)
1 Year Firearms Ban
Lost RPAL
Criminal Record for minimum of 5 years. Limited travel into USA without special permission.
Ability to transfer or sell firearms withing 120 days of final conviction. Including firearms unsafely stored. Ammunition seized and destroyed. Magazines - Unknown.

My moral of this story, first and foremost:

LOCK EVERYTHING INCLUDING ALL AMMO AT ALL TIMES NO MATTER WHAT.

It is due to my own negligence that this has occurred as much as it pissed me off how the circumstances arose.

Police don't give a rats ass about your break in as soon as the see firearms. I even pointed out CLEAR fingerprints where the perpetrators had attempted to lift a window. They didn't dust them or anything like that.

I was cooperative with the police and I believe that gained me a bit of leniency however in hindsight I may have been better off to not say anything. But I don't regret being helpful. Does it suck I'm losing thousands and thousands of dollars? Of course. But it's my own fault.

If anyone can learn anything it is that they have to be careful. At all times. You never know that random day someone knocks down your door. That disassembled shotgun that you didn't put away because you were cleaning it or that rifle you were bedding is illegal if you leave the home and they will NAIL YOUR ASS.

It is also highly advisable to buy that legal defense through the CSSA. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and I would have known how to go about this entire process right off the bat. Instead I did what I perceived to be right.

So on a positive note. I'm selling all my stuff on the EE if anyone needs AR components, reloading equipment or supplies, holsters, scopes, stocks, etc.

And the icing on the cake. Robbers took a s**t in our toilet... And didn't flush... A$$holes.

Please don't turn this into a flame or bashing thread. I was scared and didn't have a clue about what to do when this happened. I've now been through it and paid for it. It's not easy. It's slow as hell. It's taken (or will take) 5 months to be settled approximately. All the while you're paranoid you're going to get pulled over or detained for something else and you're also paranoid someone is going to break into your home again.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #1504
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
I read through all that expecting the guy to mention HOW they were incorrectly stored so that others wouldn't make the same mistakes.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #1505

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I read through all that expecting the guy to mention HOW they were incorrectly stored so that others wouldn't make the same mistakes.
Later in the thread he did mention it - one of the guns was in pieces on his bench, he was taking it apart to work on it. So, in theory, it could be assembled and little babies would be in harm's way
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #1506
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
I was under the impression that the receiver is technically the only part that needs to be locked up if you have it in bits, but I could be wrong. Either way I just toss everything back in the cabinet, I'd rather not work on technicalities or give myself the chance to misplace stuff (or my cats, with my luck they'd decide that a spring or screw is an excellent new toy).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #1507

I'm so glad that our RCMP are busy protecting the nation's security by trying to make criminals out of legal gun owners with 25 round .22LR mags and then relying on the FBI to tell them that there is a lunatic wanting to perform 'terrorist' acts. Just my hypocritical paradox observation, of course.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70994...y-ontario.html
Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #1508
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

The 124 9mm is great ive been shooting it since fathers day, the closet thing to norc 5.56 is the aguila 223 its awesome

Last edited by incubus; 08-18-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: opps lol
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #1509
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
anyone still looking for a gun safe, Costco finally got in a few more of the Protector by first alert 14 gun digital safe's they sometimes carry at the costco i go to on Brighton Ave

$399, i purchased one and there was one left + the demo model

Finally got my hands on this stupid safe! lol

even with the odd ball one which failed, i still think for 399 this is by far the best deal going looking back to the research i did when i was looking for one a few months ago
Old 09-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #1510
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Got a weird question.

Any one know where I can get those old school roll down lock cabinets that they used to store cigarettes from the old convenience stores from?

Thinking that might be a good way to store while abiding by law...

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #1511

^ can;t help you with the roll down cabinet - would it be deep/strong enough to hold guns or ammo?

On a side note - managed to reload 300 more .357 rounds last weekend, and then 30 more .270 rounds this morning. Hunting season opens nest Saturday - I'll be heading out for sure.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #1512
they call me the snowman

^
What kind of powder and charge size did you use for your 357?
I over charged my 357 using titegroups and had to hammer them all apart.

Stupid disc sizes don't correspond to an actual charge volume.....
Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #1513
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
^ can;t help you with the roll down cabinet - would it be deep/strong enough to hold guns or ammo?

On a side note - managed to reload 300 more .357 rounds last weekend, and then 30 more .270 rounds this morning. Hunting season opens nest Saturday - I'll be heading out for sure.
I'm thinking it can hold enough weight for guns but not ammo.

The ammo will be put on floor cabinets with a work counter top on top it.

Might be dreaming but, hey, who knows.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
^
What kind of powder and charge size did you use for your 357?
I over charged my 357 using titegroups and had to hammer them all apart.

Stupid disc sizes don't correspond to an actual charge volume.....
I can go look, but I believe it was either 5.0g or 5.5g of Titegroup with 158g jacketed bullets. I can hot load my Dan Wessons up to almost 7g, but it starts splitting cases and delivers quite the wallop.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #1515
they call me the snowman

jacketed bullets can handle so much more powder. With the 158 lswc projectiles, I'm stuck with 4.5g - 5g of titegroup as per the Hodgdon site.

Using the Lee .046 disc gave me 5.4g, which is a little hot for my liking.

So I hammered them out, and will try again. This time with the smaller disc...

Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #1516

5.4g should be fine with that bullet....oh wait.....you have a Smith and Wesson.

I think I use the same dick, I used to get higher drops but it has gunked up a bit and sits at 5.0 - 5.1g now. If you want to get more precise, fill one of the larger holes and custom drill one to your liking.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #1517

Hypa I think you said you had the Costco safe, did your version have the backup key access as well as the digital pad?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #1518
they call me the snowman

Quote:
5.4g should be fine with that bullet....oh wait.....you have a Smith and Wesson.

I think I use the same dick, I used to get higher drops but it has gunked up a bit and sits at 5.0 - 5.1g now. If you want to get more precise, fill one of the larger holes and custom drill one to your liking.
Hey now, Dirty Harry had a Smith and Wesson too.
Also, why are you talking about dicks?

I am going to see if I can grab a single disc and do my own drilling. That scale you recommended is a great investment. I half charged one of my rounds, and because I was weighing the whole first batch I was able to catch it. Reloading is fun, but there is a bit of stress involved in ensuring that you're doing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Hypa I think you said you had the Costco safe, did your version have the backup key access as well as the digital pad?
You got it.
It's a good safe for the money. One of these days I would love to do a hidden gun room. Something in an old closet, with some shelving and a good door.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #1519

Just modify one of your current disks (not dick) - you won't use some of those larger ones - cuz that system isn't accurate enough for large loads. You can search CGN - some guys just use JB Weld, let it dry, then drill it to the size you want.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
You got it.
It's a good safe for the money. One of these days I would love to do a hidden gun room. Something in an old closet, with some shelving and a good door.
Ahh kk cause I remember you mentioning the problems some had with the mechanism jamming and people not being able to open theirs up, figured maybe the older versions didn't come with the backup key. But the people with the troubles must have experienced failure with the entire mechanism not just the key pad
Old 09-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #1521

Big sale on at Prophet River on many items - including Nikon scopes. Free shipping over $100 and no tax on anything. I ordered a bipod and a few knives, I felt like I made off like a bandit.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #1522
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Played with a Chiappa Alaskan scout takedown in 44 mag and now want one badly.

Any of you guys know of a good takedown lever action rifles in 44 mag?? Would it be worth it to get it in 357 mag because of ammo costs (roughly 40% cheaper)? Would primarily use this for backcountry hiking (bears), and plinking.

Thanks
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #1523

i think some of the Henry's shoot both .44 and 357 mag?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #1524
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Played with a Chiappa Alaskan scout takedown in 44 mag and now want one badly.

Any of you guys know of a good takedown lever action rifles in 44 mag?? Would it be worth it to get it in 357 mag because of ammo costs (roughly 40% cheaper)? Would primarily use this for backcountry hiking (bears), and plinking.

Thanks
I absolutely love the Mare's Leg. The big loop lever, and short overall length makes it a great hip rifle for the backcountry.

I don't know if you guys saw this video, but a bear can do a ton of damage to a human body. Especially when said bear is a Grizzly with cubs.

That said, I would go with the biggest calibre you can fit in there. Like my 45/70, it's a huge round and as such I don't shoot it that often. So the cost of feeding it is relatively low considering each round costs close to $3.

I have a 357mag revolver, and it's a nice gun to shoot. But in bear country, I wouldn't go less than a .45

Hell, if I was in Montana, I would have a Desert Eagle 50 cal on my hip at all times in the backcountry.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #1525
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanks for the input guys.

AFAIK, the mare's leg doesn't have the full stock, whereas the alaskan scout does. Would you still prefer the mare's leg (non restricted) over a takedown rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i think some of the Henry's shoot both .44 and 357 mag?
Shoot both...out of the same barrel??
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote