REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #34976
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
3SGTE sits sideways… but doesn’t leak oil. Toyota.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #34977
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,711 Times in 3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
If it wasn't for the pandemic all these BMW's would be trashed already, an e90 is worth like $4000 realistically with 200k Kms and wouldn't be worth dumping thousands to keep up.
i told my friend she's should get a corolla as her first car. Told her time and time again, buy japanese for a daily. NOPE, she had to keep up with the joneses and shes too image conscious to drive a corolla. So she ended up with this used 2012 bmw 328i xdrive as her first car.

ENJOY

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #34978
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
What happened to it? My friend had one and the ECU just died.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #34979

Not too certain anymore, shes pretty shy about the maintenance required on that car because she knows ill just rant on her.

i know in this particular instance, it was because she had a cracked wheel and costco would not let her drive it away. Last time at bubble tea she also mentioned she had to replace 2 HID xenon bulbs... the list continues
Old 07-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #34980
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
3SGTE sits sideways… but doesn’t leak oil. Toyota.
iirc many of transverse Toyota engines from the late 80's onwards do. All the S and A series engines at least are at 22* or so.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #34981
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
3S-GTE

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #34982
Performance Moderator

Haha well actually the 3S will... cuz the bolts back out over time slightly, but if you remember to give them a twist every now and then everything is okay.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #34983
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

OK, so here's the thing. If BMW's suck so much, why do people keep buying them? For some it's the desire to be baller on a budget, but I know better than than that, yet I still really like them. Every time I've sold one of my used BMW's it's not long before I'm back in the market looking for another one. The only one I've ever owned that was a money pit was my N54 engine 335i (and even on that one the money pit wasn't too deep.)

I wonder how many of the horror stories have a history of maintenance neglect that is not being spoken about? If you can't or don't want to turn wrenches and if ignoring service intervals is one of your hobbies, a Toyota Camry is definitely a better choice than an aging BMW.

I've owned 3 different BMW's with the N52 or M54 engine, they've been easy to maintain and DIY (with a huge internet knowledge base.) Buying parts from wreckers, FCP Euro and Rockauto they've been pretty affordable to keep running. I've never had a catastrophic issue that left me stranded on the side of the road because I've done routine maintenance which goes a long way to preventing failures in the first place, and when I've been in there doing maintenance I've identified when parts needed to be replaced (gaskets, hoses etc.)

Given the tone of the last day of posting I really shouldn't share this but I haven't been flamed in a while sooooo.....

I'm strangely tempted to buy this because it's a bit unusual.

https://b-pro.ca/car/2007-bmw-6-series-630i-64000km/

I've always kinda liked the E63 6 series even though they have a bit of a douchey vibe (especially the vert). I feel like much of it is from the people who bought them when they were budget ballers and their questionable aesthetic choices (douchetastic aftermarket wheels, shiny wraps, upbadging and other offences.) The E63 is one of the Bangle designs that I think is aging well. The main issue I have is that it was only ever sold here with 2 of BMW's least reliable engines, the unreliable and expensive to fix N62 V8 or the unreliable and wildly expensive to fix S85 V10. That JDM example with 64,000 km on an N52 engine would make a nice daily driver, a grand touring coupe with a smooth I6 engine, not super fast but pretty comfortable and it's the same money as a LHD E90 with double the km.

Flame away!
snowfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #34984
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
I mean buying a N52 E63 is as offensive as buying a 6 cylinder mustang. Yuck.

Europe/Japan always got weird BMWs. Crazy variation of diesels, 4 cylinders, and all of them are spec'd with M-Tech Aero Kits or some kind of crazy rare option LOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #34985
Performance Moderator

I can see the value of that 630i as a comfy cruiser with some style. Put some different BMW spec wheels on it and feel pretty upmarket.

It doesn't give off the tryhard vibe a V6 Mustang does haha... just a shame its RHD that's pretty annoying for most people.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #34986

i dont think bmw's suck, i think they drive great, look great, and in general are fantastic cars.

Only thing thats weak is their questionable engineering for the sake of engineering. A very typical german thing to do. Cant leave things well enough alone, always have to reinvent the wheel every few years just for the sake of reinventing the wheel. Look at the god awful cupholders on the e90's. The pop out ones. WHY COULDNT YOU JUST MAKE NORMAL CUPHOLDERS!?!?

If germans were evolve a product over time then you have the 911. Just wish more german manufactuers did that instead of throwing everything out and starting from scratch with some unproven, cost cutting technology that they dont even know if it'll work or not.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #34987
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I have 70,000 km on my 2018 Honda Civic Type R, I've already had weird BMW issues:

1) AC Condenser replacement (and due for another one just after 3 mo)
2) Keyless Entry not detecting that the car is off / anti theft thinking the car is locked but im in the car lol xD
3) Door sensor snapped in half (wtf?) This is the one that tells the car that the door is closed and can be locked lol.
4) Brembo discolouration - but this is mostly cause of track but it's a TRACK CAR hello
5) Rear brake replacement 2x. This car burns through rear brakes wtf

One of the biggest and most money oriented difference between Honda and BMW, is that while Honda have "cheap" parts there's no DIYs. It doesn't exist for Type R's but normal models have plenty of DIY threads. This is the biggest game changer to being able to do it yourself and not. Oh also, Type R parts aren't cheap. Honda parts aren't cheap. It's pretty comparable to BMW ///M parts. Man, I miss FCP Euro.
^ You have a BMW Type R. You just went from and old BMW to a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
OK, so here's the thing. If BMW's suck so much, why do people keep buying them? For some it's the desire to be baller on a budget, but I know better than than that, yet I still really like them. Every time I've sold one of my used BMW's it's not long before I'm back in the market looking for another one. The only one I've ever owned that was a money pit was my N54 engine 335i (and even on that one the money pit wasn't too deep.)

I wonder how many of the horror stories have a history of maintenance neglect that is not being spoken about? If you can't or don't want to turn wrenches and if ignoring service intervals is one of your hobbies, a Toyota Camry is definitely a better choice than an aging BMW.

I've owned 3 different BMW's with the N52 or M54 engine, they've been easy to maintain and DIY (with a huge internet knowledge base.) Buying parts from wreckers, FCP Euro and Rockauto they've been pretty affordable to keep running. I've never had a catastrophic issue that left me stranded on the side of the road because I've done routine maintenance which goes a long way to preventing failures in the first place, and when I've been in there doing maintenance I've identified when parts needed to be replaced (gaskets, hoses etc.)

Given the tone of the last day of posting I really shouldn't share this but I haven't been flamed in a while sooooo.....

I'm strangely tempted to buy this because it's a bit unusual.

https://b-pro.ca/car/2007-bmw-6-series-630i-64000km/

I've always kinda liked the E63 6 series even though they have a bit of a douchey vibe (especially the vert). I feel like much of it is from the people who bought them when they were budget ballers and their questionable aesthetic choices (douchetastic aftermarket wheels, shiny wraps, upbadging and other offences.) The E63 is one of the Bangle designs that I think is aging well. The main issue I have is that it was only ever sold here with 2 of BMW's least reliable engines, the unreliable and expensive to fix N62 V8 or the unreliable and wildly expensive to fix S85 V10. That JDM example with 64,000 km on an N52 engine would make a nice daily driver, a grand touring coupe with a smooth I6 engine, not super fast but pretty comfortable and it's the same money as a LHD E90 with double the km.

Flame away!
We are on the 3rd one. The M car has surprisingly been bulletproof. The Mini and X3 has never left us stranded but has a ton of little issues that needs to be warrantied. The bit about doing just good enough sounds about right as the Mini had a ton of revision parts already 3rd year into the MY.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #34988
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I remember test driving a 2011 335is 6mt... back in 2017 maybe

oh man. it was fun. I was astounded by how differently it drove compared to my previous Japanese cars at the time. Responsive turbo, linear power, really planted my ass into the nice sport seats. Sales guy was in the car so I didn't hoon it too hard, just took it to maybe 70km/h?

One thing I noted was how... connected to the ground I felt through the steering wheel. It was new for me lol. Maybe it was the low profile tires.

Definitely one car I'd come back to look for when I have more $$$ to play with.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #34989

I love BMW, I just don't want to work on them anymore.

Deliver me from this punishment. (My Z4 friend just bought that blue EJ Forrester).

Stay tuned. I'm about to learn how to do a HG.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2022, 07:32 PM   #34990
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
lol

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #34991

Arguably, Subarus are like the BMWs of the Japanese world. But worse reliability, somewhat cheaper parts, but catastrophic results. For all the problems each has, I'll take the BMW. At least it feels like a finished product.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:03 AM   #34992
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Subaru are more of then than not deadnuts reliable **if you keep it stock** and do your maintenance.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #34993

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
BMW's reputation for less than stellar reliability began with the E36 chassis. Prior to the 1990s, it was people who truly had money that drove BMWs. In my view, it was the E36/E46 cars that became truly accessible to the masses. Of course, most people don't maintain their cars as they're supposed to be maintained, which explained the exploding expansion tanks and other issues associated with plastic parts which gave BMW their reputation.

I grew up driving B-series engines and they were great cars in my 20s. However, once I got a taste of an M20 engine, I understood what enthusiasts were saying for years and came to appreciate BMWs.

I had to take a hiatus from BMWs for a while (because life). I got back into an old E46 recently and I've probably spent more time addressing neglected maintenance rather than driving it. I drove it downtown to the office this week, with the top down, on the Barnet and it was a lot of fun.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #34994

I just had lunch with her today and i asked her how her car was, she said it was okay, but noticed that there is a coolant leakage. Also the back trim next to her brake light came down.

I fixed the trim and popped the hood and saw this.

Head cover gasket seems to be going soon, i see some oozing of oil next to it.

Power steering pump is covered in fluid.. seems to still operate okay though

wtf is this hole for?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #34995

The hole is for you to thread a tow hook thing into and chain to an engine picker.

You so can take care of all the leaks.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #34996

classic leaking PS housing. Tell her to put a sock over it. Or replace the cap gasket
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #34997

Wow i didnt know that was a real thing. her hubby is suppose to take care of this shit (hes the IS300 guy) but hes too busy taking that damn thing to the autocross in mission nowadays hahahah
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #34998

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
That oil leak is not a head gasket leak - that's a valve cover gasket which is common on all modern BMW engines. I believe on N52 engines, there's a concern that oil could drip onto the drive belt over time, so it can't be left for too long, unlike on the E46/E36 cars.

Dealer will probably charge 4 hours labour, plus the cost of the gasket and grommets.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #34999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Wow i didnt know that was a real thing.
Ask me how I know, go ahead. Every single BMW motor I've touched has a leaky Valve Cover and Oil Pan.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #35000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
That oil leak is not a head gasket leak - that's a valve cover gasket which is common on all modern BMW engines. I believe on N52 engines, there's a concern that oil could drip onto the drive belt over time, so it can't be left for too long, unlike on the E46/E36 cars.

Dealer will probably charge 4 hours labour, plus the cost of the gasket and grommets.
yes valve cover. I dont know why i said head gasket. i had to do the same on her dad's 128i.