REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #1151
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isMSPORT View Post
Put a beater in a group of exotics
LOL~ That is one fast beater you've got there, 325isMSPORT -- or maybe I should say, 325isM3 It was a joy watching you drive, with those aggressive yet fantastic lines of yours, and how you progressively get in front of another car with each passing lap.

Awesome job, man!
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #1152
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Beater keeping up with the exotics

Was wet out for the first session today, so slippery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay

Last edited by mb_; 03-25-2016 at 09:02 PM.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #1153
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
as someone who wants to be give track days a go...the ample amount of concrete barriers at MRP always scares me. I know beginners probably wont even drive more than half of their vehicle's limit esp with an instructor...are there very little room for error at Mission? I get the sense something like the Ridge with what appears to have more grass/buffer zones is more forgiving if you mess up. Newb looking for assurance
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #1154
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

I only know of one incident in the last few years that a car hit one of the walls. I was definitely scared during my first time at Mission whenever the car would track out towards the walls. Just as long as you're not driving past your capabilities, I wouldn't worry too much about hitting the walls.

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #1155
I am Hook'd on RS

Had my first track day ever at MRP today with speed fanatics!
zplusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #1156

While the walls certainly look intimidating to a casual / serious observer, I would not at all worry about them if you are a zero experience track day driver. Because they look scary (when you are completely new), a typical new driver will instinctively drive more cautiously when they are anywhere near those concrete blocks. Most new drivers will also consciously or subconsciously place their cars a little too far away from the concrete blocks while driving alongside them. Most novices will need some reminders and encouragements to get closer to the concrete walls in order to use the full width of the track.

For novice track day drivers, I actually think they are far more likely to spin out or plow off track into the grass / gravel / some kind of open/semi-open space. The perceived lack of danger (to hit something -- usually something hard) is easy to tempt the driver into over-driving the car, and that's where many novices screw up.

For those that actually hit the concrete walls one way or another, I find that most of the time, they are the "intermediate" drivers. (OK, I'm putting on my flame suit now.) It is usually around that time when they have built up some level of skill and confidence, and their fear and inhibition of screwing up on track begins to diminish. As they start becoming a little more aggressive, sometimes they overstep the limits of their skills, and that's when the careless accidents happen.

I would also add that grass / gravel is not necessarily as "safe / forgiving" as they may appear to be. If a car crosses into a grass / gravel field wrong, there is a possibility that the car will flip. Given the choice, I would much rather bang into a concrete wall than to roll in a car.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #1157

ah, i was under impression that gravel just stops your car...i didn't realize it poses a risk of a roll as well. appreciate the reassurance regarding the walls.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #1158
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
^

while in theory - yes it does slow your car down

but if your wheel catches deep enough into the gravel/sand/grass/mud your car will flip due to the speed etc.

all tracks in the world aren't going to be 100% safe - but most of the time its better to just run off rather than try to correct (which may end up over-correcting) as its definitely a safe thing to do (in most cases)

for example - i ran off once at the ridge just as i was coming down the corkscrew (got in the heat of the moment chasing a gt3 cup car for the whole session) - my familiarity with the track and the car already told me i wouldn't stop enough to make the turn - so rather than try to force it - i just ran off the track than to try to force it

had i had less experience - i most likely would've tried to force the turn and very well might've ended up flipping the whole car or even doing more damage

more seat time - will definitely make you a better and safer driver!

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB

Last edited by kchan; 03-26-2016 at 12:42 AM.
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #1159
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
While it may look tempting at The Ridge, the grassy run off isn't completely smooth and there are a lot of hidden rocks that are big enough to do serious damage to the underside of your car.
Last year, I took T11 too hot and ran wide which put 2 wheels onto the dirt. I know I am not the only on as there were lots grooves in that section of dirt. I just kept my wheel straight and took my time getting back onto the track.

This is the best advice that I can be given to any novice driver. Look towards where you want to go. Mission may seem scary but if you learn to control your inputs, you really shouldn't have to worry about hitting any of the walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #1160
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Here is my video from yesterday's Speed-Fanatics track day at Mission.

!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #1161
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
Spoiler!
How was the surface temp? some puddles and damp areas looked like it may have taken a while to get tires up to temp
Old 03-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #1162
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
How was the surface temp? some puddles and damp areas looked like it may have taken a while to get tires up to temp
with vtec and mr ho behind the wheel. he can get the tire up to temp easily
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #1163

Quote:
Here is my video from yesterday's Speed-Fanatics track day at Mission.
Too slow. Not sure if it is the driver or the car. Probably both.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #1164
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Here is my video from yesterday's Speed-Fanatics track day at mission
Excellent setup and terrific driving. That was me in the 1M. Had a tough time staying with you after the s2k spinout. Great fun hanging with the huracans.

Last edited by NKC ONE; 03-27-2016 at 08:24 PM.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #1165

loved your 1m!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2016, 12:37 AM   #1166
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Here's my video from Speed Fanatics track day. Not as good as Kodamu's

Almost went lawn mowing after following Mr.Stubbz

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #1167
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Nice save mb_

This is from my friends kart, Teddy who just got into the sport, from this weekend (race starts @ 4:56). I unfortunately had mechanical issues all weekend, my race ends @6:28 in the video. Looking forward to more racing this year!!

Rich
Vancouver240sx is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #1168
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
Excellent setup and terrific driving. That was me in the 1M. Had a tough timing staying with you after the s2k spinout. Great fun hanging with the huracans.
How was it following the Huracans? I didn't hear too many complaints and I was just shooting photos but it seemed every time they came around turn 8 there would be a lineup of 5-6 cars following very closely behind them. I only saw them for 2 sessions but seemed frustrating from where I was standing.

In terms of going off at Mission I've been off twice but both times at turn 1, only two wheels off does that count? :P Scariest turn for me would have to be going in too hot into turn 4 as 5 which is a somewhat sharp right hander comes up fairly quickly. I saw a Golf R spin out there on Friday and he came out unscathed (I was taking pics at the grandstands)
Spoiler!

I've gone off at Ridge twice, one time destroyed my front lip when my brakes locked up coming down the hill at turn 8. Another time at the Carousel which is a really comfortable place to test the limits of your car and try out some different lines.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #1169
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

If going off on 2 wheels counts then I have one off track excursion at Mission, same corner as you

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #1170
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Eek, if two wheels counts then I have Shannonville, Mosport and Mission on my 'off' list...
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #1171
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
How was it following the Huracans? I didn't hear too many complaints and I was just shooting photos but it seemed every time they came around turn 8 there would be a lineup of 5-6 cars following very closely behind them. I only saw them for 2 sessions but seemed frustrating from where I was standing.
Let's just say I had a tougher time staying with kodamu's miata at mission. The huracans held up the group several times.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1172

One more video from the Speed-Fanatics track day

This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #1173
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
^^Love your vids. So fun to watch. I love coming in a bit late on Turn 1 and aiming for that drain grate. It almost catapults you through.

All these "off" stories, I feel like I haven't been pushing enough. I had one spin on T2 at Mission while trying Rcomps WAY before I was ready. Spun about 270 degrees, let cars go by, then continued on. No one even pulled me in after. I thought that was a bit strange.

I've seen some pretty nasty crashes at Mission and PR over the years.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #1174

looks like a riot
quick tip if you're using a dash cam get a cheapo ND filter...you'll get less windshield reflection
Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #1175

Here is another fun Mission lapping day -- Mon, May 9 organized by Speed Fanatics.

Some on RS has already attended their Miata + FRS / BRZ / 86 track day earlier in April (myself included). Vehicles of all makes are welcomed to join for this May 9 event, but this time, depending on the number of participants, there will be 1 - 2 Honda-only run groups.

The Miata and FRS-only run groups last time was a fantastic idea that turned out spectacularly well. Despite the different driver skill levels and modification levels, it was still very easy to find similarly performing cars & drivers to play with.

With a Honda-only run group(s), things would likely be a little different since the whole brand spans a much wider performance spectrum. Still, it should be quite an aural experience to listen to that VTEC music singing together.
This post thanked by: