REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #1376
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I read somewhere that camber doesn't really kill tires and it's just a myth. However, what does kill tires is toe, which I have about 1/16" in total on each axle
If you are not doing a ridiculous amount camber, it doesn't kill (ie. wear out) your tires. At worst, you'll just get uneven wear across the tire thread (ie. camber wear). But like I said, that camber wear is easy to even out if you do a bit of aggressive driving every now and then.

Excessive toe will accelerate tire wear, potentially by quite a bit (depends on how excessive the toe amount is).
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #1377
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Yeah me too. Haven’t signed up yet this year. It can be really frustrating to feel an obvious limit to your ability (like tires). With my RS I had to practice a lot of self control in the carousel. The long sweeping corner was too much for my front tires. But go slow, smooth and wide in that corner, cut in and WOT. The next 4 corners could be taken WOT so it is worth it

The difficult one for me is actually turn 1 and turn 2 up the hill. Turn 1, it seems like I can't slow down fast enough for me to set up for turn 2. I'm usually in 2nd here, but it's very rough on the car. A couple times, I didn't bomb it down the straight as hard and opted to brake even earlier, and that helped. But overall, going up the hill for turn 2, sometimes it was difficult to get the car to rotate.

I remember having to actively remind myself to not go as hard on the straight, and take it slower so that I can make it up the hill without fighting with the car.

Earlier sessions, I found the last turn onto the straight (the slight right turn after yellow cone near booth), was difficult because I would be in high 2nd gear after the corkscrew. I need to shift, but shifting mid turn is sketchy, and if I shift too early, I don't have power to get on the straight fast enough. Had a couple of "Oh SHIT" moments there.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #1378
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
It all depends on the instructor you had, but usually they’ll try to emphasize that going fast on the straight isn’t important. You’ll gain way more time overall by setting yourself up properly for corner entry then you’ll ever make by going that little bit faster on the straight.

For my RS it was almost at limiter in 5th (I think about 225-230kmh) hard brake to 3rd in turn 1, down to 2nd for entry turn two, WOT through and shift back to 3rd cresting turn three, let the car go light and slide to outside shoulder, keep 3rd at limiter through turn four, shift to 4th mid turn five etc etc etc....

This was your first event, but it’s a good sign you’ve gotten it under your skin. I hope you took video and you can study it. Just wait til it becomes second nature. Nailing a fast lap feels so fucking good
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #1379
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Does anyone do events at Area27 that takes novices? I know the VCMC events require you to have done one at Mission first which is a bit of a trek for me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does anyone do events at Area27 that takes novices? I know the VCMC events require you to have done one at Mission first which is a bit of a trek for me.
I think Avion Motorsports still does open-to-the-public track days at Area 27, although I am unsure of their dates this year. Potentially you can email them to find out:

https://www.avionmotorsports.com/

MotorsportsReg seems to be having some issues right now, so I can't check whether the VCMC Area 27 event is full or not. But generally speaking, VCMC just wants to make sure their Area 27 participants are not track newbies, and understand the general track etiquette that is expected at a lapping day event. If you have done some track days before at other places or with other clubs, send the organizer some email to see whether that is enough to satisfy the requirement.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #1381

I'm 100% a newbie with zero experience and a brand new helmet sitting in a box collecting dust lol. The only thing I've done on a track is a few laps of Agassiz in a RWRE (which was a cool experience, but I'm guessing not useful).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 06-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
It all depends on the instructor you had, but usually they’ll try to emphasize that going fast on the straight isn’t important. You’ll gain way more time overall by setting yourself up properly for corner entry then you’ll ever make by going that little bit faster on the straight.

For my RS it was almost at limiter in 5th (I think about 225-230kmh) hard brake to 3rd in turn 1, down to 2nd for entry turn two, WOT through and shift back to 3rd cresting turn three, let the car go light and slide to outside shoulder, keep 3rd at limiter through turn four, shift to 4th mid turn five etc etc etc....

This was your first event, but it’s a good sign you’ve gotten it under your skin. I hope you took video and you can study it. Just wait til it becomes second nature. Nailing a fast lap feels so fucking good
Wow 225-230kmh, I barely touched 190kmh (top end of 4th). Instructor's Martini GT3 touched 200-220kmh, but I'm surprised you hit those numbers. I guess it's not that surprising when you have about 115hp on me.

My fav turn is actually my slowest turn - the corkscrew haha. Second to that is the one after the sweeper: down the hill, hit the apex, up the crest, downshift to 3rd then 2nd for the hard apex turn, cross over curb to next turn, and then the straight away before the corkscrew.

Unfortunately I only have dashcam video, tilted too. I'll probably upload my personal best of 2:13:023, as soon as, I can figure out how to sync up the video to that lap. And then I'll upload my worst lap time (from being cocky), and probably a couple of "UH OH" moments LOL
Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #1383

Quote:
I'm 100% a newbie with zero experience and a brand new helmet sitting in a box collecting dust lol. The only thing I've done on a track is a few laps of Agassiz in a RWRE (which was a cool experience, but I'm guessing not useful).
UBCSCC has a Mission track day coming up on Thurs, July 18th:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ar-club-504994

and Speed Fanatics has a Mission track day on BC Day Monday on Aug 5:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...anatics-349095

Don't quote me on it, but there is a good chance that VCMC will recognize either of those events if you drive well in it. If you want to pursue this route, however, it is probably best to confirm with the VCMC organizer first.

Note that in the past -- I don't remember if it was earlier this year or last year -- at least 1 driver has unfortunately been turned down to drive at the Area 27 event because the VCMC organizers felt the participant's driving wasn't quite ready for going solo at Area 27 yet when he attended the VCMC Mission event. The driver knew this was a possibility prior to registering for both events, and so it just came to that.

Last edited by Traum; 06-25-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #1384

My issue is proximity, being in Kelowna going to Area27 is a day trip but for Mission I'd need to head down the day before. And if I break something in Osoyoos I'm close enough to get BCAA'd home lol.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #1385
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts

Rode along immorality's V6 SC'd MR2 at Ridge, holy fuck this thing flies! Neck snapped when we left the pits at 40 second mark

Quote:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...osports-682603

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...lapping-044708

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmVDPFldhY

Rode along immorality's V6 SC'd MR2 at Ridge, holy fuck this thing flies! Neck snapped when we left the pits at 40 second mark
Fast as fuck. As soon as I saw him coming I went for the point by. Well as much as I could at least.

Did that red (993?) have a harness on? There was a bunch of us (like 4 cars) stuck behind him cause we couldn't see a point by.

Aside from the black Porsche, stock looking brz that was driving a little recklessly on last session, ITR with TEs, yellow s2k, e92 m3, silver newer Porsche, the mustang, and this mr2. Weird how, even in the same group, I never saw about 70% of the cars in the video.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 06-27-2019 at 08:16 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #1387
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Btw it’s common courtesy to not mention specific cars that may have spun out or crashed on such a public forum as this. What if they busted front lips and try to claim it with icbc? Just keep it in mind
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #1388

Sorry, fixed!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #1389
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Quote:

I've autox'd for a few years now, but it was my first track day and the Ridge does not disappoint! I can't wait to go back again.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #1390
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

@BIC_BAWS

If you didn't, I would suggest bringing up any concerns or questions to kchan during the session debrief so if there's anything that needs to be addressed, it's taken care of right away instead of hearing about it post track day

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #1391

Quote:
@BIC_BAWS

If you didn't, I would suggest bringing up any concerns or questions to kchan during the session debrief so if there's anything that needs to be addressed, it's taken care of right away instead of hearing about it post track day
There was no session debrief after lunch and especially after last session. Unfortunately, I actually only made it to a couple of session debriefs, as my instructor wanted me to sit in with him (group a)

Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #1392

Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
I've autox'd for a few years now, but it was my first track day and the Ridge does not disappoint! I can't wait to go back again.
Don't rule out Mission, and keep your eyes out for A27 and VIMC events as well! We are really fortunate to have as many good road courses as we do, all within <5 hrs' worth of travel time.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #1393
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
3 way VTEC battle from Ansons point of view

Starts at 3:45

!Kodamu is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #1394
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Don't rule out Mission, and keep your eyes out for A27 and VIMC events as well! We are really fortunate to have as many good road courses as we do, all within <5 hrs' worth of travel time.
Oh, I won't. The tough part is that I have no more days off available for weekday track days. I'll be sure to keep an eye out though.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #1395
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
I see a lot of guys running fancy split timing and dash overlays these days for HPDE events in non-timed settings. I am curious, does anybody actually run proper datalogging with inputs (ideally steering, throttle, and brake pressure) and review between sessions to try to improve their lap times or consistency?

It has become very popular in autocross and I imagine that at these track events, there is a lot of time improvement to be had by optimizing the actual driving. It has definitely made a big difference for my codriver and I - seeing who goes flat where, who can brake the least, get on the gas the hardest and the earliest, etc.

-Mark
Old 06-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #1396

Track days are not races, and the atmosphere is very different, esp during down time in between sessions. Some times I see people doing casual video reviews of their own driving, or that of their friends, but for the most part, very few people do the full scale technical review right there in the paddock. It is far more common for people to chill and chat with their friends during down time. Really, the social aspect of lapping days is much bigger compared to autox.

Road racers taking their cars to track days for shake down will do more on-site analysis, but even then, I don't think they are super focused on on-site data acquisition and analysis.

I know some (many?) will do a far more thorough post even review of their driving though.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #1397
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

I personally don't. I will sometimes check RaceChrono and just do a quick review of my laps with my friends but like Traum said, I usually just shoot the shit and chill with my friends or go for ride alongs in between sessions.

Quote:
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #1398
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
I totally get that it's not a race, but I guess I am just wondering why bother tracking lap times if the goal isn't to improve them?

-Mark
Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #1399

Well there's the bragging rights aspect and there's the "see how fast you can do" aspect.

At least for me, I was consistently getting 2:15, so I had a friend sit in and see if he could offer something I couldn't see. If I had telemetry, I would love to see it, just as people study their GoPro footage and find room for improvement.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #1400
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The difficult one for me is actually turn 1 and turn 2 up the hill. Turn 1, it seems like I can't slow down fast enough for me to set up for turn 2. I'm usually in 2nd here, but it's very rough on the car. A couple times, I didn't bomb it down the straight as hard and opted to brake even earlier, and that helped. But overall, going up the hill for turn 2, sometimes it was difficult to get the car to rotate.

I remember having to actively remind myself to not go as hard on the straight, and take it slower so that I can make it up the hill without fighting with the car.

Earlier sessions, I found the last turn onto the straight (the slight right turn after yellow cone near booth), was difficult because I would be in high 2nd gear after the corkscrew. I need to shift, but shifting mid turn is sketchy, and if I shift too early, I don't have power to get on the straight fast enough. Had a couple of "Oh SHIT" moments there.
Turn 1 is easily a 160~180kmph Turn.

Turn 13 is the only 2nd gear turn on the track. Everything else is 3rd gear for most cars unless it's a Miata or something.

Straight. Slow the bitch down.
T1. 4th gear light brake
T2 3rd
T3 4 5 3rd gear into 4th all throttle control here bud
T6 3rd
T7 Time attack line brake
8a 8b 3rd. Pop into 4th just before the incline.
Up the hill.
T10 Coast. Hard brake for:
T11 3rd gear. Go wide. Cut the apex. Punch it. Light brake.
T12 DRIFT 3-4th
T13 HARD brake 2nd gear. Time it. Crank wheel.
Turn into 13. Once you look down. Straighten out and PUNCH IT hugging the bank T14 bounce the limiter and pop some fuckboy flames for our Photog Andy
Lift off
Double apex 14/15 NO BRAKES
Straight line. Aim for cone. Full throttle. 3rd. Clear 16. Steer straight.

Use the track width.
You dont ACTUALLY need to turn or brake for every turn.
Aim straight. Accelerate.

Basically. Unless I typed out *brake* you dont need to brake.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: