REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 03-25-2024, 11:27 AM   #1676
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Got soaking wet yesterday but it was really good to learn RWD car control. Started getting comfortable towards the end of the day and used the throttle to steer the car a bit more in order to get more rotation.

Definitely not the ideal day, but good for learning throttle control!
Advertisement
immorality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:22 AM   #1677
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Update: Had to cancel my HPDE plans at The Ridge and Area 27. I have some professional obligations to tend to during May.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:39 AM   #1678
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Find an event mid summer on a sat or sun, and il join

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:55 PM   #1679
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts

First track day with the S2000 at Mission, I am very n00b at manual performance driving, kept on forgetting to upshift or downshift. Not terrible, but more practice needed. The TPS channel didn't work for some reason even though I got it to calibrate. Was great doing it in a 101 environment where it wasn't as pressurized and had an instructor sitting in the right seat coaching me.

Lesson also learned that Mission is really hard on S2K rear brakes - ran through half-depth pads in 2.5 sessions of 7-8/10 driving, necessitating an emergency trackside pad change lol. Car did really great otherwise, it's the driver that needs work. My manual skills are very bad, you can see me hesitating to shift or having problems letting out the clutch smoothly enough.
fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 04-07-2024 at 01:02 PM.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:57 PM   #1680
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
https://youtu.be/LZ72Nzlj-uI

First track day with the S2000 at Mission, I am very n00b at manual performance driving, kept on forgetting to upshift or downshift. Not terrible, but more practice needed. The TPS channel didn't work for some reason even though I got it to calibrate. Was great doing it in a 101 environment where it wasn't as pressurized and had an instructor sitting in the right seat coaching me.

Lesson also learned that Mission is really hard on S2K rear brakes - ran through half-depth pads in 2.5 sessions of 7-8/10 driving, necessitating an emergency trackside pad change lol. Car did really great otherwise, it's the driver that needs work. My manual skills are very bad, you can see me hesitating to shift or having problems letting out the clutch smoothly enough.
The fact that you had a set of pads ready to go meant you were well prepared. I've never brought pads to the track and I guess I'm either getting a tow home or not using the brakes.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:56 PM   #1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The fact that you had a set of pads ready to go meant you were well prepared. I've never brought pads to the track and I guess I'm either getting a tow home or not using the brakes.
I didn’t have a set of pads ready, had to run to CT to get them (5 mins away in Mission thankfully) lol. S2000 uses same rear pads as 8th gen Civic rear so at least they’re common.
fml
Old 04-07-2024, 10:23 PM   #1682

Photographer posted pics, a couple of cool ones:

Getting a point by

-3deg camber working out great on track

fml
Old 04-08-2024, 10:04 AM   #1683
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Looks like you were having fun and a great looking car!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is actually harder than you think on the brakes to brake less hard, and for longer. If the G meter in your video is accurate, you are braking at 0.3-0.4G with maybe peaks of 0.5G. That's definitely less than half of what I expect a modern street car with ABS can achieve on a dry day in a straight line such as coming into turn 1.

If you use the brakes harder for less time, you'll actually put less heat into them. (Mission is killer on brakes regardless, but this is still good practice). To achieve a margin of safety, you should still be braking basically as hard as you can, but just earlier, and let off the brakes earlier and roll into the corner.

For example - if you figure you can brake at the 3 marker in the best possible case scenario, then brake at 4 or 4.5, and as you get to your desired speed, get off the brakes and roll into the turn. Then, as you get more and more comfortable, move the braking point from 4.5 to 4, then to 3.5 and so-on.

Cheers,
Mark
Quote:
https://youtu.be/LZ72Nzlj-uI

Old 04-08-2024, 11:38 AM   #1684
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
^ What he said. I was helping a new driver a few years back and they were cooking their brakes every session. Turns out they were dragging their brakes into every corner, and applying 20% pressure instead of braking hard and fast.\

Modern traction/stability control also likes to grab the rear brakes once it detects something it doesn't like. BMW and Mazda has very active control systems (for very different tuning methods), I'm not sure how active the system is on a S2000.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2024, 12:11 PM   #1685

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Looks like you were having fun and a great looking car!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is actually harder than you think on the brakes to brake less hard, and for longer. If the G meter in your video is accurate, you are braking at 0.3-0.4G with maybe peaks of 0.5G. That's definitely less than half of what I expect a modern street car with ABS can achieve on a dry day in a straight line such as coming into turn 1.

If you use the brakes harder for less time, you'll actually put less heat into them. (Mission is killer on brakes regardless, but this is still good practice). To achieve a margin of safety, you should still be braking basically as hard as you can, but just earlier, and let off the brakes earlier and roll into the corner.

For example - if you figure you can brake at the 3 marker in the best possible case scenario, then brake at 4 or 4.5, and as you get to your desired speed, get off the brakes and roll into the turn. Then, as you get more and more comfortable, move the braking point from 4.5 to 4, then to 3.5 and so-on.

Cheers,
Mark
I was being pretty gentle with the brakes on the S2000 because I don't fully know the limits of the car yet - first time out on a proper track with the car, and first time on new (old) RT660s instead of street tires. Was hoping to get braver with the brakes in the afternoon but had to deal with the rear brake pad issue and by the time that was done, it was the end of the day sadly.

What you were saying was what Norm was saying to me as well, he was my instructor for the day. Definitely something to work on, instead of braking more gradually. For me it was a challenge to integrate new car + new tires + new type of transmission into something resembling a coherent mess, and something that I definitely need to work on by adding more seat time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
^ What he said. I was helping a new driver a few years back and they were cooking their brakes every session. Turns out they were dragging their brakes into every corner, and applying 20% pressure instead of braking hard and fast.\

Modern traction/stability control also likes to grab the rear brakes once it detects something it doesn't like. BMW and Mazda has very active control systems (for very different tuning methods), I'm not sure how active the system is on a S2000.
Haha what is traction and/or stability control? This is an 02 with nothing but ABS in terms of "safety' nannies.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2024, 03:57 PM   #1686
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
5:51 Start of chasecam

My Go-Pro didn't Cooperate so someone else's will do for a chase video
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #1687
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Auto-X + rain + 400hp = no bueno

Il stick to HPDE days in cars over 250hp

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: