REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 06-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #1576
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Curious why you are doing annual brake flushes? Does tracking laps cause that much wear on the mineral oils or such?

I mean all the cars I have had, I don't think I have EVER flushed the brakes, including auto-x days. Only time was when my prelude had some odd brake issues, and a truck that had sponge brakes = needed a flush.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture even though it's a sealed system. Think condensation on a cup of water.

Moisture in the brake fluid = boiling point of brake fluid goes down. Auto X isn't really that hard on brakes but repeated slamming of them will heat up the fluid quite a bit. Last thing you want is a boiled over brake fluid and you slam your brakes during a heavy braking zone and there's no brake pressure.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 04:23 PM   #1577
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Copy that

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #1578
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
If you're doing track work, especially wiih RBF/SRF/high temp fluid, you want annual flushes. The high temp brake fluid absorbs moisture faster, and thus can degrade faster than the regular brake fluid.
Quoting to reinforce that BETTER track-specific brake fluid is WORSE than OEM brake fluid by far at absorbing water. We bleed my racecar's Castrol SRF system twice a year where as my 5 year old DD is original and I am not at all worried.

-Mark
Old 06-13-2023, 05:42 PM   #1579
in the butt

Get high temp fluid for 3 track events, change back to OEM fluid, got it

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
Old 06-13-2023, 08:41 PM   #1580
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
All this track prep is like insurance for a smooth track day. I was too lazy to change my clutch fluid last time and I paid for it by missing a full session and scrambling the paddock to borrow tools to bleed my clutch.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #1581
in the butt

im finding out very quickly how expensive my 3 events are gonna be

3 events, 1000$
2L SRF 266$, (1L as spare just incase)
powerstop track day pads (front only) 200$
bc ferry 200$
hotels 240$

Im in a condo, so im too lazy to haul half my shit across the street and DIY, sent the car to ABC tire up the street to change oil, swap pads, and flush brakes.
I called in advance asking if they could order the above parts but did not have access, so they were ok with me buying them.

Anyways, dummies could not figure out how to swap the pads for some reason, and bought my requested oil as 1L containers instead of 5L + singles. At least they know how to flush brakes, i hope.....

100$ to flush system, and 250$ for the oil change. Lesson learned, stop being lazy, and do it yourself. 430$ after tax, disposal, etc.
At this point i figured i bought the wrong pads, so ordered another set for 490$... fuck me are "track" pads expensive......

By the time i got home from work, i was not believing them about the pads, so i ended up hauling my shit across the street, and sure enough, both sides swapped out in 30 minutes.

Im at 2380$, have a spare set of brake pads for next season i guess.
Still need to add gas, looking like 900$/day.

After digging into my OEM pad info, seems like they are ferodo HP 1000/1, and based by the limited information online, these are high performance road / light track use pads. So i guess good call on swapping them out. VS putting my car into a wall. These squal like a pig REEEEEEEEEEEE during road use, and are getting swapped out anyways for another road pad. oh yes those were 600$ for all 4 corners......

/rant

Last edited by donk.; 06-22-2023 at 06:48 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2023, 07:06 PM   #1582
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:

3 events, 1000$
bc ferry 200$
hotels 240$
Me: gonna do no track days this year

Also me:
Signed up for 3 events $880
Bought NEW (shocker) RE71RS $1875
SRF - $40 (shipping)
Motul 300V - $40 (shipping)
BC Ferry - $90
Hotel - $80

I am blessed I have friends who give me their brake pads for free because they don't like it - Endless CCRG.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:45 PM   #1583
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
If you don't mind splitting the room with someone, your accommodation costs can easily go down by 1/2 or more.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #1584
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Is camping an option at these tracks?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #1585
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If you don't mind splitting the room with someone, your accommodation costs can easily go down by 1/2 or more.
Waiting on bicbaws friends to take me spare bed

Old 06-22-2023, 08:57 PM   #1586
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:

3 events, 1000$
bc ferry 200$
hotels 240$

Im in a condo, so im too lazy to haul half my shit across the street and DIY, sent the car to ABC tire up the street to change oil, swap pads, and flush brakes.
I called in advance asking if they could order the above parts but did not have access, so they were ok with me buying them.

Anyways, dummies could not figure out how to swap the pads for some reason, and bought my requested oil as 1L containers instead of 5L + singles. At least they know how to flush brakes, i hope.....

100$ to flush system, and 250$ for the oil change. Lesson learned, stop being lazy, and do it yourself. 430$ after tax, disposal, etc.
At this point i figured i bought the wrong pads, so ordered another set for 490$... fuck me are "track" pads expensive......

By the time i got home from work, i was not believing them about the pads, so i ended up hauling my shit across the street, and sure enough, both sides swapped out in 30 minutes.

Im at 2380$, have a spare set of brake pads for next season i guess.
Still need to add gas, looking like 900$/day.

After digging into my OEM pad info, seems like they are ferodo HP 1000/1, and based by the limited information online, these are high performance road / light track use pads. So i guess good call on swapping them out. VS putting my car into a wall. These squal like a pig REEEEEEEEEEEE during road use, and are getting swapped out anyways for another road pad. oh yes those were 600$ for all 4 corners......

/rant
I think you got stiffed on the work for oil change and pad change. You should go to a reputable shop that can order the more special (track day fluids and pads) stuff for you. You could've gone to Speed Syndicate (Burnaby), DG Motorsports (PoCo), Overdrive Autotuning (Richmond), and a couple other shops if you're further into the Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Is camping an option at these tracks?
Yes, there are campsites nearby. I'm assuming one event is at Mission (1 hour drive from central Van) and a 2-day weekend at VIMC (there's some campsites nearby).
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #1587
RS Veteran

Might want to bed in those pads before you hit the track

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #1588
in the butt

The pads are from overdrive, 490$ for fronts, not including install :wallet giggles:

Oil change stiff, yes

C7 "track" parts are big moneys

Yeah I'm gonna follow the bedding process listed on the box. Seems to be mixed opinions online bedding vs non bedding

Old 06-23-2023, 05:51 AM   #1589
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
At least RaceChrono is free
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2023, 07:12 AM   #1590
RS Veteran

I use stock pads for track day but still bed them as per procedure. Stopping power is plenty on CTMP just before Turn 8 from the back straight.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #1591

$490 for front oof ouch owie
fml
Old 06-25-2023, 12:36 AM   #1592
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
The pads are from overdrive, 490$ for fronts, not including install :wallet giggles:

Oil change stiff, yes

C7 "track" parts are big moneys

Yeah I'm gonna follow the bedding process listed on the box. Seems to be mixed opinions online bedding vs non bedding
Should have just let Overdrive do the work as well since they ordered the stuff.

I just did some track prep this year for my F80 and it's eye wateringly expensive, and that's just parts...... 2100 for a set of AD09, something like $700 for not trackpads (Justin tells me I'll regret it, but I got no play monies left for brakepad set no2 since my OEM pads are just about done), new stainless brake lines ~$400 cause I didn't like how my brakes felt at the Ring and at Mission last year, and SRF or RBF fluid(I honestly don't remember).

Yeah it's great to just get it done and I don't even remember the parts lol
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #1593
RS Veteran

Curious to see your feedback on the AD09!

Or as Badhobz would say, "Yokohamas !? on a BMW!?!?! may i speak to your manager please??? this is unacceptable"

This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2023, 11:16 AM   #1594

The AD09 is marketed as an endurance 200, so don't expect it to keep up to RE71RS
My first choice was actually Goodyear Supercar3 which comes OE on Camaros. That's a Cup 2 Connect type tire which is imo more of a very aggressive street tire than a track tire.

Though, the AD09 has been decent and there's a surprising amount of grip even in very wet conditions.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2023, 03:21 PM   #1595
RS Veteran

Ah, the cheater sweetheart tire, similar to the Hankook Ventus RS4. Had I known about the AD09 (at the time) I would have considered these over Hankooks.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:54 AM   #1596

Went to the 2-day VCMC Blitz Auto-X event at the new location at Adesa Auctions. It was cool and cloudy the first day and then hot and sunny the second, and the difference for me was quite stark as the hot weather definitely hampered me mentally. Made so many mistakes, and since you only get 3 runs on the course (4 courses total over 2 days) that meant that I threw away a lot of time. No DNFs but a lot of cones, and missed entries that cost me major time. I think the 2 day format also tired me out, as I was definitely very sloppy on the 2nd day.

The new location was awesome, it's nice to have a full (ish) pad again as the course design can get more creative. It was a very green track, and there was a lot of dust especially on the first day. Got better as the event went on. Hope we can be there more often in the future!

The car was definitely outclassed by most of the other entries there, and even though the courses were fast and flowy, the body roll/suspension definitely limited what I could do. The hot tires are also probably a factor, but my overdriving the crap out of them probably didn't help. It just reinforces my want to find a more sporty, better suited weekend/track car.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2023, 09:05 AM   #1597
RS Veteran

Two day events can really wear you out!

Old 06-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #1598
in the butt

Turns out my car has built in PDR, some kind of track recording that monitors a whole bunch of shit including a camera.
Gonna have to go test this out on a "local circuit" before I head to the events

I guess normally you would find out all of this shit from the dealer before you blow xx grand....

This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #1599
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Autocross is like an abusive relationship with great sex, it feels great for a few moments here and there but sucks most of the time... and then you forget how much it sucks and you go back again for more lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Autocross is like an abusive relationship with great sex, it feels great for a few moments here and there but sucks most of the time... and then you forget how much it sucks and you go back again for more lol
Very brief sex....

Ran the AD09 at Mission on Monday. Ran very consistent low 1:19 laps across all sessions and all temperature range, but I do think it was slower in the afternoon when it was hotter, I just got more comfortable on track.

The tire takes about 2 laps to get up to optimal temperature, but it's 90% there on the second lap. It will hold probably for around 5 laps before I feel like it's getting a little greasy and I need to back off or compensate. But by lap 5 of pushing my brakes don't like me very much anyways.

I put on a new set of EBC bluestuff pads and ate through about 1/3 of it. Hearing a myriad of reasons why and I am trying to sift through everything.