REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 08-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #1626
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts

Slippery track, or my tires may have still been "coated" from mission a few days prior.
Mostly ran 1:32s, then this 1:27 popped up.

Ridge > Mission > VIMC

Ran powerstop pads for all 3 events, no issues, pads are still at 60% or more.
Tires seem to be same life as before my first event. Maybe 10-20% less.
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2023, 08:37 PM   #1627
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts

So I got to drive a different car at autocross today instead of the Audi luxobarge. It was a completely different experience, one that I am still processing and learning from.

No traction control, no ESP, no DSG, no Quattro and no long stable wheelbase to bail me out when I make a mistake. This is a car that demands a lot of attention and when you waver it will smack you in the face - I got lucky and didn't have a full spin, but I did have some tank slappers where I stepped on the go pedal at an inopportune time/place causing the car to lose grip. Basically have to re-learn how to drive at speed as the lines/approach that the S2000 demands vs what the Audi wants is almost opposite. I also need to figure out how to extract more out of the power vs. a turbo engine that has a torque plateau, completely not used to having so much RPM to play with. I kept falling out of the powerband which is higher than I keep expecting, because normal cars don't rev above 6500 or so...

I didn't do as well as I hoped but it was a great learning experience, and I want more now that I have a taste of raw car vs filtered cushioned comfort!

Hopefully I'll get to campaign this car a bit more, and eventually take it on the track once I get comfortable driving it.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2023, 11:10 AM   #1628
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I don't like how I can't stay in the powerband with the S2K at autocross, but the Richmond location looks like it's big enough where you'll stay 65KM+ most of the time.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #1629
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I don't like how I can't stay in the powerband with the S2K at autocross, but the Richmond location looks like it's big enough where you'll stay 65KM+ most of the time.
See, if you take it to Shelton or VIMC, then you can stay in the power bands

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2023, 10:43 PM   #1630
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
One of the things that they teach you when you're new to tracking is to never brake on a Hill. The dip at Ridge or tire wall at Mission is one of those places. They tell you these things because they probably seen some shit.

I've been gaining some confidence trying different set ups and sending it harder. Coincidentally, since I had brought a bunch of people to event, one of the common questions was regarding track insurance and the answer is don't go full stupid. Well, I'm sure where you can guess where this is going. I've never been scientifically (physics) well-versed and well I fucked around and found out.

(Pictured - what's left of my fender liners and front lip lol)

The go-to tip is to tap the brakes right before cresting Ebisu, but I decided to minimize my braking zone to cut time. So I was trying to carry more speed into it (left curb at 105), but ended up panic braking at the crest of Ebisu (~ 90). This shifted all the weight forward and because I was turning right, the entire rear end slid out and I went jumped straight off Ebisu from T7 back to T1. Key Takeaway: Don't fucking brake cresting a hill. Always throttle out.

When I landed, the track marshal was like your front end is back there. I was pretty prepared to be super devastated. Fortunately, there was no significant damage to the car. I had Overdrive check out the car the next day and thankfully there was no structural or mechanical damage to the car. Nothing leaks, alignment wasn't even out of spec, just my ego and cosmetic damage: need a new front bumper, lip, underbody panels, and fender liners.

I forgot to add that because I run 275/245 reverse staggered this made it incredibly more sketchy. To be honest, I don't know why my instinct was to brake when I spent all day inducing rotation and throttling out. I had another panic braked moment in the beginning of the day - going out of T2 I washed out a little too wide and I got scared. Well panic braking caused some rotation but fortunately I snapped out of it in time and throttled out.

Ironically, I had practiced just this on the sims. I picked a FL5 on the sims which has a lot of fwd oversteer and just practiced throttling out for several hours.

I've debated endlessly on posting this but since most of my cars are forever cars (unless written off), there's no point in not sharing it. I'm fortunate to have a group of friends that had my back when the incident happened. Hopefully I didn't scare Donk or J.C. from the track hahah.

Also side note, we went to a Chinese restaurant in Duncan, with TouringTeg as the only white guy. You have to ask them for the Chinese menu otherwise you get the PandaExpress ching chong menu LOL. Best part of the day was when we all rolled up to the restaurant in our Type R's and JC's S2K and the little boy outside was like "oooh mom look! Racecars!!!!"
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 10-23-2023 at 05:41 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #1631

I'm not sure if this should count as HPDE but for the past year or so I've been going to Axon for sim racing. Typically we only went to dick around or before a track day get some seat time in. I always find that I'm very anxious before track day and even more so before the first session. I find that it helps when I spend some time in the sims practicing my lines.

In this particular instance, Brands Hatch - GP using the GP3 Series 2015 had started out as dicking around and it turned into a friendly challenge between me and my friend. I never thought I could ever place Top 10 in an Axon leaderboard, so the friendly challenge led to me and my friend fighting for P10, and then later for me fighting to rise up in the leaderboard. It was a great fight as all the challengers came together and would help each other refine their lines or suggest different lines. Oddly enough, the lines that the predominantly fast people would take - I could never take those lines, but I could still be within a second or milliseconds away from them. By the end of it, I had 952 laps (888 at Richmond and 64 at Burnaby) and I was within 0.431 milliseconds away from P1. I finished the challenge at 1:10:264 (22.155, 19.183, 28.926). For comparison, the top time did it in 380 laps at 1:09.831 (21.852, 19.224, 28.755).

I was going to make a pivot table or chart outlining progression by lap but I got lazy. Here's a PB list instead:

Sept 21 - 1:14:241 (42/126)
Sept 22 - 1:12:947 (68/196)
Sept 23 - 1:12:647 (101/270)
Sept 24 - 1:11:828 (Bby - 21/46)
Sept 25 - ?
Sept 26 - closed
Sept 27 - 1:10:940 (184/461)
Sept 28 - 1:10:474 (285/657)
Sept 29 - no PB (308/698)
Sept 30 - 1:10:264 (431/888)

I probably spent 4-5 hours each day after work at Axon, but to be honest, this challenge was really a challenge of will-power for myself. I wanted to see if I could compete against the best or at least give myself a fighting chance. I wanted to quit and just be like fuck it, good enough, but it would also be a disservice to myself to not see it through to the end. I never thought I'd be able to come within milliseconds, let alone be dedicated enough to do 300+ laps. Even on Day 3, I was thinking to myself, no chance. I think the satisfying part about this was seeing the improvement daily after working so hard at it.

Now the hard part will be spending more time and challenging myself on (sim) local tracks to see if I can translate it to faster lap times on track.

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 10-23-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:16 AM   #1632
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
One of the things that they teach you when you're new to tracking is to never brake on a Hill. The dip at Ridge or tire wall at Mission is one of those places. They tell you these things because they probably seen some shit.

I've been gaining some confidence trying different set ups and sending it harder. Coincidentally, since I had brought a bunch of people to event, one of the common questions was regarding track insurance and the answer is don't go full stupid. Well, I'm sure where you can guess where this is going. I've never been scientifically (physics) well-versed and well I fucked around and found out.

The go-to tip is to tap the brakes right before cresting Ebisu, but I decided to minimize my braking zone to cut time. So I was trying to carry more speed into it (left curb at 105), but ended up panic braking at the crest of Ebisu (~ 90). This shifted all the weight forward and because I was turning right, the entire rear end slid out and I went jumped straight off Ebisu from T7 back to T1. Key Takeaway: Don't fucking brake cresting a hill. Always throttle out.

When I landed, the track marshal was like your front end is back there. I was pretty prepared to be super devastated. Fortunately, there was no significant damage to the car. I had Overdrive check out the car the next day and thankfully there was no structural or mechanical damage to the car. Nothing leaks, alignment wasn't even out of spec, just my ego and cosmetic damage: need a new front bumper, lip, underbody panels, and fender liners.

I've debated endlessly on posting this but since most of my cars are forever cars (unless written off), there's no point in not sharing it. I'm fortunate to have a group of friends that had my back when the incident happened. Hopefully I didn't scare Donk or J.C. from the track hahah.
Shiet. I got some real anxiety reading through from your set-up. Glad you wound up ok in the end.

I've had some close calls at Thunderhill and Laguna and had just enough runoff to luckily save me from smacking something. Both times I think were similar situations to yours where I was trying to push braking a little later, then panicked and went off lol
Old 10-23-2023, 05:43 AM   #1633

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Shiet. I got some real anxiety reading through from your set-up. Glad you wound up ok in the end.

I've had some close calls at Thunderhill and Laguna and had just enough runoff to luckily save me from smacking something. Both times I think were similar situations to yours where I was trying to push braking a little later, then panicked and went off lol
I think this would be the equivalent of jumping corkscrew into runoff at Laguna.

(I just edited this into OP) RE: Set-up

I forgot to add that because I run 275/245 reverse staggered this made it incredibly more sketchy. To be honest, I don't know why my instinct was to brake when I spent all day inducing rotation and throttling out. I had another panic braked moment in the beginning of the day - going out of T2 I washed out a little too wide and I got scared. Well panic braking caused some rotation but fortunately I snapped out of it in time and throttled out.

Ironically, I had practiced just this on the sims. I picked a FL5 on the sims which has a lot of fwd oversteer and just practiced throttling out for several hours.

I think had I not panic braked and just eased off to scrub a bit of speed I would have made it through.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #1634
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage -- at least it is only cosmetic.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #1635

Thanks for sharing BIC, instincts are one hell of a thing - you try to train them out but sometimes they just override your training and you go full panic mode Glad the damage was all cosmetic in the end.

Ebisu sketches the hell out of me and I definitely lift lol. I am imagining doing it with the S2000 and going into the ditch lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post

I got myself a GPS telemetry setup (need to add an OBD reader for RPM info and maybe throttle position?) and it's useful to see/compare lap by lap the points at which I slowed down more/was faster. The new location definitely lends itself to staying into the powerband more, especially with courses that are set up more flowing like the one yesterday.

This was my fastest time with the S2000, had a senior driver who owns a S2000 basically sit in with me almost every lap to critique and coach me. I worked on my throttle control a lot during this session, reducing my tendency to jab instead of practicing smoothly rolling on/off. The S2000 definitely appreciated that, especially with how stiff and responsive this particular one is to weight transfer. Learning how to drive on cars with electronic throttles/turbos with the attendant smoothing/turbo lag definitely has given me bad habits. Need to work on steering and vision more next, I 100% know I was behind the curve on steering/looking ahead.

Had one spin in the morning session as I got super greedy with the slalom entry, but overall I'm less afraid of the S2000 and getting more in tune with it. Progress!
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2023, 11:23 PM   #1636
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

(Pictured - what's left of my fender liners and front lip lol)

Also side note, we went to a Chinese restaurant in Duncan, with TouringTeg as the only white guy. You have to ask them for the Chinese menu otherwise you get the PandaExpress ching chong menu LOL. Best part of the day was when we all rolled up to the restaurant in our Type R's and JC's S2K and the little boy outside was like "oooh mom look! Racecars!!!!"
glad it was only cosmetic. live to fight another day.

If that gps trace is correct you turned in too early imo, you should be late apexing it a lot more and really getting over to the left.

Try turning in 2-3m later and try really getting up on the curb to the left, allowing you to get the car into a better line to the tall stand up cone on the right and opening up the exit at the bottom of the hill, meaning you can be standing on power before you crest the hill.

Instead of piling in with a ton of speed then having to lift off for a long time, you give up where you have to slow anyways to gain where you'll be on power longer.

If you watch this on a desktop, set it to 0.25 speed and you'll see what I mean when getting up on the curb on the left as much as you can.

Last edited by ncrx; 10-24-2023 at 02:22 PM.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 PM   #1637
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
You can hear when I applied throttle with FK8. Like Nic said, you need to hug the left side more.

!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:08 PM   #1638
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
New year, new track season, gents.

So what's in the plan this year for everyone?

For me, I'm going to try (emphasis on try) to do some DE days with PCA CWR and PNW at Area 27 and The Ridge, and maybe some driving school (TBD.) Since my Boxster is out West, I'll probably do more volunteering with my local PCA group for their monthly DE days at CTMP and maybe get in some track time in a race-prepped BMW E30.

Other than that, it's all up in the air this year. I'm a bit on the fence on doing DE days with the BMW club as their fees went up big time this year (not baller like all you guys.)

Hope everyone gets in a safe and amazing season!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 04:51 PM   #1639

With local autox having found a decent pad in Richmond, I am planning to get back to autox as much as I can. I still wouldn't be able to attend nearly as many events as I would have had I been single (or even after I got married), but the fact is, I have a family now, and I can't ditch the kiddo almost every weekend LOL~

I hope it would still allow me to drive in enough events to qualify for competition, but it is highly questionable that I'd still be competitive now LOL~
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:19 PM   #1640

I wanted to take the S2k out to track this year.... and completely forgot that convertibles need a rollbar.

So probably going to stick to auto-x this summer, sort the S2K out (it needs suspension work, some other suspension maintenance items like bushings and stuff) and learn the car first before going on track.

I do have a set of Redshift coilovers on order for the S2K, which should help resolve the too-stiff, too-bouncy ride it has right now and add a lot of compliance (my guess is blown coils, currently on Buddy Clubs that are slammed, and I can't raise the ride height so I'm scraping everywhere and rubbing tires badly).
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 07:29 PM   #1641

I think many (most?) local organizations allows convertibles with factory roll protection to go on track now, so you should be good to go for the local track days. As long as you are mindful of what you are doing, I think it is fine to go lapping with cars like the S2k / NC & ND Miata with their factory roll hoops. It is when you get into a competition situation where the likelihood of red mist taking over gets higher, and that would be too dicey.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 08:16 PM   #1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
For me, I'm going to try (emphasis on try) to do some DE days with PCA CWR and PNW at Area 27 and The Ridge
If you make The Ridge a confirmed day, I'll fix my car and come out
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 08:21 PM   #1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I think many (most?) local organizations allows convertibles with factory roll protection to go on track now, so you should be good to go for the local track days. As long as you are mindful of what you are doing, I think it is fine to go lapping with cars like the S2k / NC & ND Miata with their factory roll hoops. It is when you get into a competition situation where the likelihood of red mist taking over gets higher, and that would be too dicey.
I'll have to check - I know that I definitely don't pass the roll hoop/broomstick test. Some of the other groups do require either a hardtop or a rollbar, of which I have neither lol.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2024, 09:55 PM   #1644
in the butt

Quote:
X2

This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 07:08 AM   #1645
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
X2
Wait, isn't this where your car went flying?

I'm trying to confirm if there PCA DE day is still with Turn 2 or if they run independently. I'll follow up.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-27-2024 at 07:22 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:32 AM   #1646
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 11:37 AM   #1647

Quote:

I'm trying to confirm if there PCA DE day is still with Turn 2 or if they run independently. I'll follow up.
He went flying at VIMC, I thought? Turn 11/Ebisu?

Speaking of VIMC, after confirming that I can run the S2000 without an aftermarket rollbar as long as I keep the top up, I signed up for the Axon Aug 4th day at VIMC, and will probably do a Speedy Goat day when they get announced as well. Looking forward to it!

Now I have to make sure the suspension work gets done...
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 01:31 PM   #1648
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
If I can get the new car together, I am game for a day at the Ridge for sure...

-Mark

Quote:
New year, new track season, gents.

So what's in the plan this year for everyone?

For me, I'm going to try (emphasis on try) to do some DE days with PCA CWR and PNW at Area 27 and The Ridge, and maybe some driving school (TBD.) Since my Boxster is out West, I'll probably do more volunteering with my local PCA group for their monthly DE days at CTMP and maybe get in some track time in a race-prepped BMW E30.

Other than that, it's all up in the air this year. I'm a bit on the fence on doing DE days with the BMW club as their fees went up big time this year (not baller like all you guys.)

Hope everyone gets in a safe and amazing season!
Old 01-27-2024, 02:51 PM   #1649
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Really want to take the GD3 Fit to the track this year, aiming for minimum of 2 days. I really want to hit up VIMC and Mission and hope to fit in the Ridge as well.

Already have a set of 15x8 Rays 57DR. Need to buy a set of 205/50/15 200tw tires so PM if you see a good deal out there. I need to adjust coilovers from slammed to track ready and get the car ready for this year (fluid change, pads, etc...)

Last edited by jcmaz; 01-27-2024 at 02:56 PM.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2024, 08:25 PM   #1650

Quote:

No Ridge is where I had lots of fun playing with a LC500.... not badhobz tho...

Calling @badhobz - your turn bud
This post thanked by: