REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #126
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
So I was getting light vibration in the steering wheel when braking from high speeds. I might've also been due for an alignment because car didn't drive all that straight.
Few days ago I did my front discs/pads (raybestos professional grade discs and akebono pro-acts) and now I'm getting worse vibration at 60kph+ and when I'm going down a hill. Car also pulls to the right (worse alignment than before) when I let go of the wheel.

Pretty sure my rotors are seated correctly. First chance I get is to check lug torque but they're not loose. How important is it to torque all the caliper bolts to specs? I did the exact same job in the rears and ran them problem free for a week. Don't know if this makes a diff but the brake fluid was a bit over max line in the reservoir after I pushed the caliper pistons back. Tire pressure is good just a week ago. What else could be a culprit? Wheel weights? I was told to put back my old rotors to see if the new problem goes away.
when your braking, does the pedal pulsate or the pedal and steering wheel? if its just the pedal, most likely your rear rotors, if the steering wheel shakes, then its your front rotors or does it only shake when your driving

did you clean the hub when you put on the new rotors?
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #127
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
it's definitely the front
it shakes when I'm driving highway speeds or going down a hill. Be it accelerating/braking/neither.
yes I used brake clean on the hub surface...used wirebrush as well on the right side.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #128
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Got my wheels balanced at Fountain Tire, as I experienced a really bad shaking around 110 kph. The truck tracked straight and had no "abnormal" tire wear, so I figured an alignment would not be necessary. They used one of those Hunter "Road Force" balancers, which I am told from several different sources are the best in the business.

After the balancing, the truck doesn't shake as bad but now the steering wheel shakes at roughly the same speed of 110. Going to about 140 and the shaking gets really bad. Not such a big deal as I never drive that fast, ever. The shaking is mostly gone except for on the steering wheel. I remove my hands from the wheel and the truck still tracks straight.

What gives? I am going to get an alignment later this month after doing my tie roads and lower ball joints so hopefully this fixes it.

All the tire tech told me was that my "wheels were really out of balance"...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #129

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Now the vibration moves around, sometimes it goes way while cornering at speed, this morning it started at 80, stopped at 90, started at 100, stopped at 100...what the ever loving fuck.
Was there a weight missing?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #130
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
I haven't had a chance to get it checked yet, I've been too busy with work. I'm thinking that weights missing off multiple wheels would explain why the vibration keeps occurring at different speeds
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #131

Quote:
it shakes when I'm driving highway speeds or going down a hill. Be it accelerating/braking/neither.
yes I used brake clean on the hub surface...used wirebrush as well on the right side.
sounds like a bad rotor, grab a dial indicator and check the run out
Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #132
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
So you're driving over 80km/hr and your steering wheel is shaking more violent than before, even with the new brakes that you've put on? Check to see if the screw that holds onto the rotor is in the correct hole (the tapered one).

I'm pretty sure your brand new rotors aren't out of round.

Also check wheel balance, in case.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #133
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

dont wanna start a new thread for this but is it shady for a body shop to take a deposit prior to performing any work? I brought my car to a body shop to get both rocker panels fixed for $700.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #134
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ Seems a bit weird for something so minor...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #135
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Couple ways I'd approach this issue. I think you may have a combination of multiple issues which

1) measure run out on the rotor (my guess is you don't have a dial indicator , not many people do).

2) rotate the tires front to rear, and after side to side. If this affects your pulling or steering wheel shake, you most likely have a balance /tire issue.

3)break in the pads again. How was the car driven since you put the pads and rotors in? I rec light driving for at least 100k until you really step on it. You can attempt sanding down the pads and cross hatching the rotors using sandpaper. Did you clean the rotors surface before installation? There is a coating of oil put on the rotors to prevent it from rusting on the shelf.

You can do step two and three together. Make sure you lubricate the slider pins with slider pin grease (lordco has sylglyde)
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Got my wheels balanced at Fountain Tire, as I experienced a really bad shaking around 110 kph. The truck tracked straight and had no "abnormal" tire wear, so I figured an alignment would not be necessary. They used one of those Hunter "Road Force" balancers, which I am told from several different sources are the best in the business.

After the balancing, the truck doesn't shake as bad but now the steering wheel shakes at roughly the same speed of 110. Going to about 140 and the shaking gets really bad. Not such a big deal as I never drive that fast, ever. The shaking is mostly gone except for on the steering wheel. I remove my hands from the wheel and the truck still tracks straight.

What gives? I am going to get an alignment later this month after doing my tie roads and lower ball joints so hopefully this fixes it.

All the tire tech told me was that my "wheels were really out of balance"...
Any bends or dips in the rims? Weights can only do so much. Does your wheels have a lip for the weights to be fastened or is it sticky weights? If they are sticky, they may have fallen off. Have them double check the balance. Are these factory wheels on stock suspension?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
sounds like a bad rotor, grab a dial indicator and check the run out
Quote:
Originally Posted by see.lai View Post
So you're driving over 80km/hr and your steering wheel is shaking more violent than before, even with the new brakes that you've put on? Check to see if the screw that holds onto the rotor is in the correct hole (the tapered one).

I'm pretty sure your brand new rotors aren't out of round.

Also check wheel balance, in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dn53 View Post
Couple ways I'd approach this issue. I think you may have a combination of multiple issues which

1) measure run out on the rotor (my guess is you don't have a dial indicator , not many people do).

2) rotate the tires front to rear, and after side to side. If this affects your pulling or steering wheel shake, you most likely have a balance /tire issue.

3)break in the pads again. How was the car driven since you put the pads and rotors in? I rec light driving for at least 100k until you really step on it. You can attempt sanding down the pads and cross hatching the rotors using sandpaper. Did you clean the rotors surface before installation? There is a coating of oil put on the rotors to prevent it from rusting on the shelf.

You can do step two and three together. Make sure you lubricate the slider pins with slider pin grease (lordco has sylglyde)
didn't invest in a dial indcator because most people suggested it's overkill. If it's truly bad rotors then i'd get the mfg to replace them.

yes rotors were cleaned before mounting. yes slide pins were greased. I'm aware of akebono's recommended 400-500mi bedding process and I usually throttle/brake like a grandma anyways.

I think I ensured the rotor screws went into the correct holes but one wasn't completely flush because of the rust on the threads. Didn't think much of it because these screws are apparently optional.

wheels are directional and i just rotated them 6 mo ago. How do I check the wheel balance? As long as the weights look the same on both wheels?

when installing pads do you have it resting against the rotor surface or have a bit of gap and have it sit towards the outer edge of the caliper bracket? I didn't think it'd make a difference because once you brake the pads will just rest on the rotors?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-06-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #138
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Question - can mass air flow sensor cleaner be used in place of brake cleaner? iirc MAF cleaner doesnt leave any residue so i would assume safe?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #139

Quote:
didn't invest in a dial indcator because most people suggested it's overkill. If it's truly bad rotors then i'd get the mfg to replace them.

yes rotors were cleaned before mounting. yes slide pins were greased. I'm aware of akebono's recommended 400-500mi bedding process and I usually throttle/brake like a grandma anyways.

I think I ensured the rotor screws went into the correct holes but one wasn't completely flush because of the rust on the threads. Didn't think much of it because these screws are apparently optional.

wheels are directional and i just rotated them 6 mo ago. How do I check the wheel balance? As long as the weights look the same on both wheels?

when installing pads do you have it resting against the rotor surface or have a bit of gap and have it sit towards the outer edge of the caliper bracket? I didn't think it'd make a difference because once you brake the pads will just rest on the rotors?
Tire balance must be checked by a machine, there's no way to eye ball them. When you balance a tire, you are balancing that individual rim, not the balance between the two adjacent tires.

You can move the tires front to rear to see if it makes any difference since the front tires will cause a much more harsher vibration than the rear.

the piston will take up pad slack so it doesnt really matter. that screw just helps you with installation. you mention that you werent able to thread the screw all the way in -- did you leave it out? i would imagine if that screw is not in all the way it can cause a wobble if its in direct contact with the rim mounting surface (small chance.. but hey just maybe?).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #140
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Strange sound coming from front driver's wheel area.

It sounds like a "shik-shik-shik", frequency increases with speed, drowned out/gone at 40+km/h.

New tires were installed last Monday, didn't notice this sound.
On Saturday, I took said wheel off to install CAI, reinstalled, torqued then and again this morning.

Car does not pull, nor is there smell, so I'm assuming brake isn't dragging.
Wheel weights and lugnuts checked.

I can lift the car again to check for play in wheel bearing, and to check if rotor shield was bent or something, but does somebody have any other ideas?

I saw "defective tire" thrown around, but (I think) it was fine for the first week or so.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #141
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
See if the backing plate is grazing the rotor? If so, push it away a bit.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dn53 View Post
you mention that you werent able to thread the screw all the way in -- did you leave it out? i would imagine if that screw is not in all the way it can cause a wobble if its in direct contact with the rim mounting surface (small chance.. but hey just maybe?).

the alignment screws were slightly bent
took them out..problem solved
total moment
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #143
RS controls my life!

hello. might be a long shot but im looking for garage space for my friend who is a mobile mechanic. he is doing a timing belt job on my car.

hes got everything in his van from tools to air compressor and i got all the parts needed for the job. we just need a space and a roof over it. it will be raining for the rest of the week.

i live in a apartment building where they dont allow renters to work on our own cars.

ps. we are not crazy. dont worry. ill bring you beer. corona?

another ps. we are in burnaby by patterson station. anywere in the 10km radius is fine
josel_atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #144
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what do you guys use for fuel system cleaner? i've used my last bottle of chevron techron and i can't find it anymore at the chevron gas stations locally. or something that has PEA detergent in it? my mechanic suggested gumout regane but i haven't been able to find that either, aside from the inferior one they sell at walmart?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #145
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Seafoam ^
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #146
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
They sell Gumout Regane at Canadian Tire and surprisingly at some Safeway locations, at least the one at King Ed and Oak.

I use Redline S1
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #147
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
302 + T5
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #148
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what do you guys use for fuel system cleaner? i've used my last bottle of chevron techron and i can't find it anymore at the chevron gas stations locally. or something that has PEA detergent in it? my mechanic suggested gumout regane but i haven't been able to find that either, aside from the inferior one they sell at walmart?
Motomaster Engine Treatment, on sale this week, in a metal can like seafoam.
ironheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #149
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
is this stuff going to smoke up the entire neighborhood? it's a little early in the year for me to blame the mosquitoes
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #150
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Just say it is fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
is this stuff going to smoke up the entire neighborhood? it's a little early in the year for me to blame the mosquitoes
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote