REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Nostalgia Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696543-nostalgia-thread.html)

GS8 07-07-2014 08:03 PM

The Nostalgia Thread

A thread where we can share stories that pertain to our upbringing in the Lower Mainland. Some stories may involve places or people that are still around or have evaporated into the ether.

I'll share one.

It was the mid 80s and I was 6 years old. My uncle drove his 81 El Camino from San Francisco to my parent's house in Coquitlam for a visit. He traveled with his son (my cousin).

He decided to take my brother, my cousin and I to Flintstones Bedrock City. He told us all to climb into the bed of his El Camino. It had a windowed canopy and a mattress. Because we were all so young and small, we climbed into the back with ease and enjoyed a hell of a trip from here to the Park playing lots of games and laughed like children do. We even saw some cops on the highway through the window but they didn't seem to notice or care.

I don't remember much at the park itself other than being on the row boats. I was a shit poor rower and dragged my paddle across the water and into the boat, soaking my uncle completely in water. He could only laugh.

The drive back was just as much fun as the drive there. Flintstones Park was definitely an attraction to admire as a child. By the time Dinotown took over, I was older and had moved on.

I was thinking of posting this thread a couple of weeks ago but didn't. By sheer coincidence, I found out yesterday that said Uncle is now in a care home and diagnosed with the initial stages of dementia. He remembered the 'splashing incident' for well over 25 years. Now, it's hard to say if he will again...

Anyway, does anyone want to share a story?

MG1 07-07-2014 08:54 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/58774...r-history.html

............my little story

shenmecar 07-08-2014 11:01 AM

Recently made a trip to Westfield Southcenter to eat at this place for the sake of childhood memories.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...62927959_n.jpg

multicartual 07-08-2014 11:11 AM

Fuck I used to love getting gas for like .35 cents a litre

hirevtuner 07-08-2014 11:36 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JAOqnGreNmc_Ng

Ch28 07-08-2014 11:52 AM

http://i.imgur.com/62SmTxh.jpg

multicartual 07-08-2014 12:14 PM

Chuck E. Cheese is one of the most dangerous places to go in the USA

hchang 07-08-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8499468)
Chuck E. Cheese is one of the most dangerous places to go in the USA

Go on....

dachinesedude 07-08-2014 03:14 PM

rpm, rush, highlight, richmond centre 6

GS8 07-08-2014 04:13 PM

Glen Dr. near Coquitlam Centre is completely unrecognizable from 10 years ago. I remember when it was just a bunch of tall trees overshadowing a few houses buried within. Glen School looked more like a cabin and most of the population immigrated the proper way :fuckthatshit:

My friends and I used to hang around all the random forested areas when we were younger. Get involved in plenty of shenanigans without getting caught.

Also the old racetrack at Pinetrree. I remember hearing the cars but never being allowed to go there. Then it closed.

murd0c 07-08-2014 05:11 PM

I remember always going to Dark Zone laser tag in Surrey as a kid and loved it!! Same with the laser tag place in guildford mall which was pretty awesome...

as an Adult I so miss Mug's & Jugs in New West, that place was awesome SHOWER SHOWER!!

GS8 07-08-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8499633)
as an Adult I so miss Mug's & Jugs in New West, that place was awesome SHOWER SHOWER!!

YES

I remember when some friends and I went for a buddy's birthday. Showergirl found this out and gave him her wet soapy thong. He didn't know what to do with it, lol.

Also, you know you're old when you remember the Woodward's Food Floor at Coquitlam Centre back when it had its elaborate car port for pick ups and drop offs. Also you remember that the Sunwood Square Safeway used to be in Westwood Mall where The Brick now sits.

Hondaracer 07-08-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8499633)
I remember always going to Dark Zone laser tag in Surrey as a kid and loved it!! Same with the laser tag place in guildford mall which was pretty awesome...

You're probably the only person I've ever hear talk about the laser tag in guildford. Grew up in Fraser heights so relatively close to guildford and none of my friends remember it. It was where the dollar store is now, and had the blow up walls etc lol

Dark zone also had those shaking rooms you stepped in before they released you into the arena lpl

murd0c 07-08-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8499692)
You're probably the only person I've ever hear talk about the laser tag in guildford. Grew up in Fraser heights so relatively close to guildford and none of my friends remember it. It was where the dollar store is now, and had the blow up walls etc lol

Dark zone also had those shaking rooms you stepped in before they released you into the arena lpl

I have talked about he laser tag in Guildford to tons of friends and none of them seem to remember it either. I used to love going with my parents and playing. The staff always used to hook me up I went so often.

BrRsn 07-08-2014 08:19 PM

relevant:
vintage everyday: Wonderful Color Photographs of Street Scenes of Vancouver, Canada in the 1970s

haymura 07-08-2014 08:55 PM

remember when 10 piece chicken at Churchs was only $8.99?

MarkyMark 07-08-2014 09:17 PM

http://data1.blog.de/blog/r/rollersk.../stardust1.jpg

Spent many birthday parties at this place

GS8 07-08-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8499714)

My family came here in 1974 so this is very relevant. Their very first home was an apartment on Victoria Dr. (the brown section) above a store. They told me it was VERY different back then. It was pretty quiet and people actually talked to each other.

Their first car was a 1975 Chevy Vega that puffed blue smoke when they were leaving the dealer lot :lawl:

I never went to the Steel Monkey in Coquitlam but I remember going past it everyday wondering what went on in that building.

white rocket 07-08-2014 10:04 PM

The Marble Arch:

So back in the late 90's my cousin had recently moved from Edmonton and my friend and I wanted to show him a good time. Middle of the day on a Saturday let's hit up the Arch and get drunk and see where it takes us. Wicked! So off we go. Get a nice table somewhat close to the stage and begin drinking. Several hours pass and it's time for the main event. Turns out it's some hottie from the UK that brings toys and does full peno for the crowd. Fuck me, I'm stoked to see this. We're pretty hammered now so spirits are high. So she does her thing for a couple songs and minds were blown.

Then she asks for a volunteer. Being the loudest table I'm nominated to go up on stage. Crowds cheering, I'm loving it. She's gives me a water gun and I'm, well, spraying her down. Crowds cheering, friends are laughing, and I'm feeling like the fucking man. Then she informs me that I need to pull my pants down so she can return the favor. I'm drunk so of course I'm not shy at all. Haha. I proceed to drop my drawers and now I'm standing in my boxers with my pants at my ankles. She puts my boxers in a g-string up my butt crack and proceeds to sprays me down. Crowd is loving it, I'm so stoked right now. My hands are up hyping the crowd and everything. Then she turns me around and starts writing on my ass with a sharpie. I'm thinking she's giving me an autograph so I'm all cheering, pointing at it, sticking my tongue out like a champ and laughing; and the crowd is in hysterics. The shows ends, she hugs me and I get a standing ovation.

She sat with us at our table for a drink afterwards and gave me a signed poster. We continue on with our evening getting drunker and my cousin and friend can't stop laughing about what had happened. I'm thinking shit, it was cool but not that funny. We get home later, I'm living at 33rd and Victoria at the time, and settle in for our night cap blaze session and I go into the bathroom to check out the signature.

Spoiler!

I'm ain't even mad. That story came up at my wedding and is still discussed to this day. I'm miss that place.

inv4zn 07-08-2014 10:26 PM

http://i.imgur.com/ryayNya.jpg
I don't even remember when they phased these out lol

Also the bridge that connected Metrotown from Eaton Centre lol.

Lester's...which became Family Fun Centre...which became some shady hot-pot place now

fliptuner 07-08-2014 10:33 PM

-Wally's and Dragon Inn on Kingsway
-free stuff when you filled up gas @ <$0.25/L
----when a friend gave you $5 for gas and it actually moved the needle
-new Buy&Sell on Thursday mornings
-no cell phones
-Lee's Stormrider
-money that looked like money should

Lowered_Klass 07-08-2014 10:55 PM

I remember going out to restaurants, and my parents always making sure we sat in the 'Non-Smoking' section.

Hell, I still remember getting to choose between smoking/non-smoking tables when we would go the the food court at Coquitlam centre.

rb 07-08-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass (Post 8499786)
I remember going out to restaurants, and my parents always making sure we sat in the 'Non-Smoking' section.

Hell, I still remember getting to choose between smoking/non-smoking tables when we would go the the food court at Coquitlam centre.

:lol was just about to post that. Coquitlam Center having a smoking section at the food court.

GS8 07-08-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass (Post 8499786)

Hah speaking of restaurants, anyone remember these?

Bonanza
Sizzler
Snacker's
Canadiana Buffet (The Bay's Restaurant)
The Dining Cart (Eaton's)
Brownie's Chicken

These are just off the top of my head

-----

Also I remember when every intersection didn't need a traffic light and a city skyline consisted of various buildings not just 'who can build the tallest, most expensive Shark Tank gonna love it' highrise.

tonyzoomzoom 07-08-2014 11:27 PM

Coconuts on Kingsway in Burnaby
A&W drive-in on E Hastings
Woodward's

gas sold in gallons