REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #26
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,250 Times in 3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZilla View Post
MG1 do you fish as well did you learn from your dad?
Call me silly but I always like hearing stories about someones parents, it nice to hear that your dad enjoyed what he did.
Feel free to PM any good spots to by sockeye on the up and up.
No, no, no........ I may be the son of a fisherman, but that's about it. I suck at any kind of fishing. I would even fail at the kiddies fishing game at the PNE, lol. I can guarantee you my father was glad I did not follow in his footsteps. The life of a fisherman is not for everyone. Unless you own a large seiner and have a crew. Even then it's a struggle. I have extreme respect for farmers and fishermen. You need to be hard as nails.
Advertisement
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
3 hour opening is better than nothing. DFO has its reasons. They're usually off the mark, but I think they're just being careful. Besides, it's only the first opening. Area E fishermen are traditionally a frustrated bunch (dare I say whiners). Actually, most commercial fishermen are a bitter bunch. My father fished on the West Coast most of the time with Uculet/Spring Cove/Tofino being his favourite places. With a small vessel you took your chances for the season. You carried with you whatever types of net you felt would yield the best results and went on a long journey. When he used to fish in the Charlottes, he'd be gone for nearly five months. The fishermen who fish area E are lucky. They are close to home. Another thing, my father only had a small 45 footer. Slow boat to boot. His boat could convert from gillnet to trolling vessel. I've been out with him a few times when I was a wee little lad. I would only go with him when there was a food opening at the mouth of the Fraser. I could see why he loved being a fisherman. Fresh ocean breeze and being your own boss. Honestly, I have no idea how he ever survived that long. These were the days where only the big vessels had radar and electronic devices. All my dad had was experience and a sixth sense. He knew a storm was coming before any meteorologist could figure it out.
Ehhh, they messed up in 2010. Should have had more openings.

DFO is like any government, too much bureaucracy and slow to act. I do agree with you that there is almost nothing better than being out on the water, in almost pitch darkness, and a nice breeze. If fishing wasn't such a flip flop of a lifestyle, I would take it up. I agree, nothing be respect for farmers/fishermen. They don't get paid enough.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #28
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,175 Times in 705 Posts
I think with modern technologies it makes fishing easier for uptake while the instinct's like your dad's to develop. They all just provide a safety net.. In the end, whether one succeed or not still have to depend if the person is willing to slog through the difficulty. If a person is lazy, he can have a nuclear powered, Scarlett Johanssen AI fishing boat, he will still can't catch squat.

We see this theme quite a bit on RS.. private schools, powered by parents etc etc In the end, it comes down to the person to do what's right and good in their own eyes.

Quote:
These were the days where only the big vessels had radar and electronic devices. All my dad had was experience and a sixth sense. He knew a storm was coming before any meteorologist could figure it out.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #29

oh FYI I think $12 per fish is a fair price this year.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
oh FYI I think $12 per fish is a fair price this year.
If there are individuals that don't know if they should buy salmon at 10 or 12 dollars....then shieeeet.. I really don't know what to say.

Maybe you're better off buying a fishing rod and salmon license and catching the daily limit until the season is over, if you want cost-effectiveness.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Recreational Salmon fishing isnt cost effective at all. It's a hobby and a money pit.
Gas, Rod, bait, time, etc..

Considering a small piece of salmon steak cost $10.
I would gladly pay $12-$20 for a whole salmon.
Stock up as much as you can now.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #32
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^ You forgot the boat, downriggers, cannon balls, and anchovies ><
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #33

get a drift net
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #34
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Recreational Salmon fishing isnt cost effective at all. It's a hobby and a money pit.
Gas, Rod, bait, time, etc..
Spoken like a true fisherman haha.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #35
2 Wheelin' Mod

I saw enough salmon today for the rest of the season. helped my uncle out at the fish cannery.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #36
MG1

which fish cannery would that be?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
MG1

Opening for commercial fishing this coming Monday. I'll probably go this time around. Getting fish caught closer to mouth is better than fish upriver. Their bodies change the further up the river - salt to fresh water and turning bright red as they get closer to spawning grounds, etc. Not that I've had sockeye in that state. They stop feeding once they turn. Sounds like something from a zombie movie. Has anyone had salmon caught near spawning grounds?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #38

So come and meet and greet MG1 at Sapperton Landing when the fishery closes (it was ~6PM on Weds)

Quote:
Opening for commercial fishing this coming Monday. I'll probably go this time around. Getting fish caught closer to mouth is better than fish upriver. Their bodies change the further up the river - salt to fresh water and turning bright red as they get closer to spawning grounds, etc. Not that I've had sockeye in that state. They stop feeding once they turn. Sounds like something from a zombie movie. Has anyone had salmon caught near spawning grounds?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #39

Quote:
I've caught fish close to spawning grounds. Sometimes they're OK but most of the times they've zombies or really coloured that you wouldn't want to keep them. I've seen some monster red Sockeyes surface on the Harrison while fishing for chums. I basically saw every species that day, which I didn't think could happen.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #40
MG1

Just picked up fish from my buddy. Crap, they're huge. A few were in the ten pound range. Got some red springs, but they were cannery dressed. Oh well. Two openings next week.

I had one sockeye in my batch that had turned........ wtf? They aren't supposed to turn until further up the river.

Anyway, Saucy......... sent you pm. I hope you can gut and cut, 'cause I ain't got no time for dat shit, yo.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #41

How'd you know there was 2 openings MG? There isn't a meeting scheduled until Friday.
So far this season is definitely nothing like 2010.

Maybe the bigger run will be later in the upcoming weeks, but this and last openings were paltry.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #42

It is on the DFO website and location specific (but he probably got wind from this morning's demo fishing?):

For Commercial:

There was an opening yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
How'd you know there was 2 openings MG? There isn't a meeting scheduled until Friday.

Maybe the bigger run will be later in the upcoming weeks, but this and last openings were paltry.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #43

The guys who generally sell at the docks are Area E fishermen, so assumed they were talking Area E fishermen for the fraser/gillnet.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #44
MG1

Yup, area E.

Get 'em fresh.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Yup, area E.

Get 'em fresh.
Yeah,

the next meeting isn't until Friday, so earliest possible opening would be Monday.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #46
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post

Are you talking sport fishermen not having a good season? 'cause the catch has been pretty good for the Area E commercial gillnetters so far.

There's amount of fish actually in the river and the amount caught in the river. anyway..............

All the test fishermen I used to know are retired. They're the ones DFO get their numbers from....... well, sort of. There's the count further up the river. Like I mentioned before, fish aren't hungry at this stage, so sports fishermen with their rods and bait may not have much luck, but nets don't care. It's all in the condition of the waters - temperature, current, content, etc. The fish will make their way when nature tells them.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #47

Nope, talking about gillnetters.

I was out on the opening helping the pops, definitely nothing spectacular (comparing to 2010 wise)
Guess we were in bad spots.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #48

I have a couple group of friends that participate in recreational fishery and this years sockeye season has been stellar. I get a report everyday from different areas and they all limit out within a couple hours. The commercial openings haven't hindered the recreation fisherman so far from what I've heard and seen. In 2010 I had days where hardly any fish were being caught. I don't know how it is for commercial fishery but I know how efficient they are with the nets so if the fish are in the river, they will get them.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
VLS Head Mod

Quote:

Anyway, Saucy......... sent you pm. I hope you can gut and cut, 'cause I ain't got no time for dat shit, yo.
I actually gutted last night; I hope I got it all. THANK YOU again so so much I really appreciate you. Now I can be the ulitmate stalker knowing your home address and cell

I didn't filet though, just took all the insides out, chopped off head and tried to wash off.
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #50

24 hr opening on monday 8am to tues 8am. so you guys might get cheap fish by then.

Hate when the DFO does that.... ain't no body got energy to work 24hrs straight fishing.