REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #76
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Opening next Tuesday 9-3 sounds like business hours!
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #77
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

blagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #78
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
i've been saying this for years. The government and businesses behind farmed fish aren't listening and are turning a blind eye. Other countries have banned open pen farm fishing. Why have we not? Money. It's always about the god damn money. Never thinking about the future.

What can we do to stop this? By not buying farmed salmon. Simple. When I go to restaurants and stores that sell it, I talk to as many people as I can. Most just think I'm nuts. The stupid thing is, the salmon they farm is not even indigenous to these parts. They are from the ocean on the other side of the country. It's because they mature faster.

I think it's too late. My father when he was still alive, told me of salmon in his nets that didn't belong in the waters. They were Atlantic Salmon that have escaped the pens. Never made the connection until news of open pen farming started to come out.

Thanks, blagh, for bringing this up.

If any of you are involved in the restaurant business or sell fish, take farmed Atlantic salmon off the menu, before it's the only salmon you'll ever see in years to come.

Last edited by MG1; 08-30-2014 at 10:55 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Prices keep falling, as expected.

It's a catch (pun intended) 22 for the fishermen. Hoping for good season, then getting so much it drives prices down, because supply and demand.

I feel for the fishermen. Salmon prices they get from packers and canneries haven't change much over the years, but fuel prices and gear has done nothing but go up. Caught in the midlle.......... damn gotta stop that pun shit, LOL.

Another opening next week......... possibly Tuesday. Not confirmed yet.
With the farmed salmon b.s, declining wild sockeye, and rising costs, it's no surprise that if you go to the docks, almost all the Gillnet fishermen are in their 60's.

Their kids wouldn't want that lifestyle I bet. Rising diesel, repair expenses, moorage fees, yearly license fees, fishing nets - all for what? one good year every 4?

Thing are only going to get worse in the next 5-10 years. It's similar to farming, not many of the next generation want that lifestyle. As a result, reports are showing increase in foreign immigration into farming.

Among my pop's friends, I know of only one that is likely to take over. That's 1/10th?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #80

I think it is just society evolution. Look at farming (before the hipsters).. new immigrants always take the jobs no one wants. eg Shrimp farming in Gulf of Mexico.

The reality is sockeye prices have been static for the last few decades.. If you want price to increase.. get the Mainlanders to export it to China like they did with Dungeoness crabs.

Commercial fishermen might be in the 60s but natives are usually pretty young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
With the farmed salmon b.s, declining wild sockeye, and rising costs, it's no surprise that if you go to the docks, almost all the Gillnet fishermen are in their 60's.

Their kids wouldn't want that lifestyle I bet. Rising diesel, repair expenses, moorage fees, yearly license fees, fishing nets - all for what? one good year every 4?

Thing are only going to get worse in the next 5-10 years. It's similar to farming, not many of the next generation want that lifestyle. As a result, reports are showing increase in foreign immigration into farming.

Among my pop's friends, I know of only one that is likely to take over. That's 1/10th?

Last edited by godwin; 08-31-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #81

I have given up thinking pressuring the gov would or consumers will yield anything. The best way is to counter what the Scandinavian companies are doing and just invest in on land farms. There is one in operation in Agassiz and make the big established companies pay big bucks to buy you out once you are successful.

The big companies are smart and good at confusing the consumers, ie they say the fish are from South America instead of Vancouver Island, you can't tell from the fillets anyways. Fujiya, Sushi Town etc don't care where they get the fish and consumers still want their $10 salmon sushi bowl fix.

I think if on land farming takes off (too bad the researchers are a bit too hippy (and infighting) to realise that's a way to get back at the gov and companies); it forms a viable competition that "hey we are serving farmed salmon that doesn't harm native fish". Consumers will go for that option. The public is ignorant in the intricacies of things (just look at the GMO thread on the board), you have to give them options. Much easier if you give them an obvious choice.

Not consuming doesn't work in a consumerist society.

Quote:
i've been saying this for years. The government and businesses behind farmed fish aren't listening and are turning a blind eye. Other countries have banned open pen farm fishing. Why have we not? Money. It's always about the god damn money. Never thinking about the future.

What can we do to stop this? By not buying farmed salmon. Simple. When I go to restaurants and stores that sell it, I talk to as many people as I can. Most just think I'm nuts. The stupid thing is, the salmon they farm is not even indigenous to these parts. They are from the ocean on the other side of the country. It's because they mature faster.

I think it's too late. My father when he was still alive, told me of salmon in his nets that didn't belong in the waters. They were Atlantic Salmon that have escaped the pens. Never made the connection until news of open pen farming started to come out.

If any of you are involved in the restaurant business or sell fish, take farmed Atlantic salmon off the menu, before it's the only salmon you'll ever see in years to come.

Last edited by godwin; 08-31-2014 at 11:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #82

Openings Weds, Thurs and Friday!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #83
MG1

When they extended today's opening by two hours, it was a sign.

As for the farm fishing thing, I will continue to inform people. Make a difference or no, I can't just let it go. Short of joining some Kumbaya, tree hugger, enviro cult, lol.

I have limited influence as an individual and there are bigger fish to fry.

Lomac, has Adams River turned red yet? I might actually go up if all goes well.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #84
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Is that when commercial isn't catching?
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #85
MG1

Yes, overspawning the river is not a good thing....... I think that's the term they use.

It's like 500,000 Vulcans going through Pon Farr at Rogers arena.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #86
I don't get it

Its been a pretty fun season sockeye/spring fishing the north fraser river. Been going about twice a week. Freezer can't fit anymore.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #87

For those looking for fish in New West.. Alley Towing, the tugboat tow company right before Sapperton Landing Park has a sockeye fish for sale sign there.

Looks like next week is the last opening week this season.

YMMV
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #88
MG1

Yeah, the salmon have all but made it upstream. Getting the stragglers, slow pokes, and other species of salmon. If it weren't so far, I'd be at Hells Gate watching them salmon do their thing. It's always a spectacle.

Having cured salmon as we speak.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #89

End of the season! For those who purchase, make sure you are not getting Chinooks (with white flesh) mixed in with Sockeyes! (definitely doesn't task as good)
Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #90
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
Caught a couple fat boys last week. Nothing beats eating fresh sockeye.

Quote:
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #91
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Last week was pretty good. This week has been terrible.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #92
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
is the Adams River salmon run worth checking out?
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #93
2 Wheelin' Mod

Anybody here a fan of salmon caviar?

Here is some chum salmon caviar before being packaged (crappy cellphone pic)

Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #94
MG1

Chum eggs are the best kind. People don't realize how much the Japanese would pay for number one export grade of the stuff. There's a reason why fishermen sell chum fully dressed,. They make money off of the eggs. Fishing companies take advantage of this and pay next to nothing for the chum itself and make a killing on the roe.

My favourite is herring roe. Not the ones found in the females, although they are good, too, but the ones that are on kelp (kombu kazunoko). The best kombu kazunoko are the ones where the roe is layed evenly on both sides of the kelp. The thicker, the more it will cost the consumer. I have a friend who harvests kombu kazunoko. He preps it in brine, dries it and freezes it. Soak the stuff in water again and it comes back to life. Almost as good as fresh.

Nowadays, they produce kombu kazunoko by placing large pieces of kelp, let the female herring so their thing. Like cultured pearls.......... Then there's the kazunoko that are layed on other plants and seeweed types.

Anyway, ikura, FTMFW! On hot rice with soy sauce.

Last edited by MG1; 10-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #95
2 Wheelin' Mod

Fishing companies paid more for chum this year then usual from what i'm hearing. I never knew caviar cost so much always got it for free so never looked into the price lol

hmm never tried herring roe will try to get my hands on some. when is it in season?

will also try the hot rice and soy sauce in the next couple of days
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #96
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:

I don't eat Atlantic.
My friends know me as a really serious foodie, but I don't want to be the asshole who gets all preachy about it.

According the some web research I've done, you're not supposed to eat Salmon fresh.
99% of the time, it's fine and you're totally safe, but there's an off chance you'll get a worm/parasite. That's why you're not supposed to eat it raw.
If I were to acquire chum eggs not through a commercial supplier, how do I know they are safe?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #97
MG1

It has been posted a few times in this thread that all fish has to be frozen before eating it raw.

As for buying fish eggs from no n commercial sources, as long as it has been kept cool and isn't days old, you should be fine. They're eggs, not flesh. May not taste the best, though.

Back to kazunoko......... The best is actually the kind that are deposited on pine branches and leaves. Very local and specialized. Very auspicious at New Years. It is much like BC Nori. Not found anywhere else. Another local food that is better than stuff from Japan is T. Amano white organic miso. Like BC wines rivalling long established Euro and Cali wines.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #98
HELP ME PLS!!!

Is the DFO opening still listing our area as area E?

Trying to figure out when and where to pickup salmon from the fisherman.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #99
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Is the DFO opening still listing our area as area E?

Trying to figure out when and where to pickup salmon from the fisherman.
Yep Area E 29. Potential opening Wednesday 6am to 10pm.
Notice should be up sometimes Tuesday, maybe earlier.
fashomormon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: