REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Salmon Fishing

So there is a lot of talk on the news that they sockeye fishing is starting early this year. And there is going to be lots of fish unlike the last few years.

Does anyone know when they boats at Steveston will be selling salmon to the public from the dock? Or where I could find out from?

All this salmon talk is making me hungry for fish.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Advertisement
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
When the commerical season starts thats when they will be selling it at the docks. Until more word comes out you will have to wait
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The boats are already selling it is roughly $7-8/lb whole fish is $25? the boats are not selling fish from Fraser though..

Right now on fraser you can catch coho
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Focus on: Fraser River Sockeye, 2014 | Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

Natives are selling fish as we speak. I used to get it from them @ $10 - $15 per fish. I don't anymore, because nothing is regulated. I now get it from commercial fishermen when they come back from an opening. BTW, getting fish from Steveston is very expensive. Need to get your fish from fishermen who dock at Sapperton or along the Fraser in and around the Port Mann up to Langley on both sides of the river.

I'm pretty sure a few revsceners will be selling their catch soon. Again, look for the openings.

As for native fish, just drive down to Musqueam Reserve and you'll see them selling fish in their driveways. Just be discrete........ and remember, you're on their land. Nuff said.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Natives are selling fish as we speak. I used to get it from them @ $10 - $15 per fish. I don't anymore, because nothing is regulated.

As for native fish, just drive down to Musqueam Reserve and you'll see them selling fish in their driveways. Just be discrete........ and remember, you're on their land. Nuff said.

If you would be so kind to school me on this subject...

Can you elaborate on the why you don't anymore?
What's the downside of it not being regulated? Health and safety reasons?

I presume the reason the natives can fish now because treaty terms?
And discrete because they are selling under the table?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Well it is illegal for non natives to buy native fish.. DFO sometimes have officers to catch you when you head out of the reserve and that's a fine and record.. is it worth it? I think it outsiders buying their catch makes their governance messy, we as outsiders are not helping things.

Native can fish whenever they want.. it is not treaty.. it is their right. Supreme court said so, so we have to live with it.

I think MG1 is referring to Mary Hill Bypass/ Argue street, also underneath Coquitlam River Bridge (there is a pub there you can wait). You need to scout and get the fisherman's phone numbers. Make their time worthwhile though, don't expect to buy just 1 or 2 fish. and for F's sake be prepared.. cash, bring your own garbage bags, ice and all that. But I will not try to give away all MG1's secrets.. oh his main secret: he is retired and he has plenty of time. Usually when the fisherman comes to dock most people are still at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
If you would be so kind to school me on this subject...

Can you elaborate on the why you don't anymore?
What's the downside of it not being regulated? Health and safety reasons?

Last edited by godwin; 08-04-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Close. It is an aboriginal right rather than a treaty right. In recognition of the occupation of North America by aboriginal peoples prior to the arrival of Europeans, the Constitution Act, 1982 "recognizes" "existing" aboriginal rights in Canada. Aboriginal rights are defined as an element of a practice, custom or tradition integral to the distinctive culture of the aboriginal group claiming the right that existed prior to the arrival of Europeans. The Supreme Court ruled in R. v. Sparrow the Musqueam people have a right to fish, particularly for food and ceremonial purposes. The important point is the Supreme Court ruled in R. v. Van Der Peet the aboriginal right to fish for food and ceremonial purposes does not include the right to sell fish because it has not been recognized as a practice that existed prior to the arrival of Europeans. This ruling involved two dissenting opinions and is still of serious contention. Of note, it involved the Sto:lo people of the Fraser Valley. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans therefore issues food fishing licenses to aboriginal people, including the Musqueam. The DFO has gone on to negotiate the right to sell fish caught under food fishing licences with select aboriginal bands, but this does not include the Musqueam. The sale of fish by the them is therefore illegal and that's why they're discrete.

On a personal level, I find the evidence in support of the right to sell fish compelling. I have a bias, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Native can fish whenever they want.. it is not treaty.. it is their right. Supreme court said so, so we have to live with it.
Neary. The Supreme Court ruled the DFO can interject on conservation issues in R. v. Sparrow, which considered the aboriginal use of a banned net design.

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-04-2014 at 04:54 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You will just encourage the natives to over fish everything if you buy from them....

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
elwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
You will just encourage the natives to over fish everything if you buy from them....
Because non natives would never think of doing such a thing
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
They're no going to go out and overifsh because you're buying from them because the fishery doesn't work that way. Food fishing licenses have limits. In this respect they're no different than normal commercial or recreational fishing licenses.Aboriginal people aso were successful in managing the fishery for centuries on their own......
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #11

They mentioned on the news that the fish would be sold at any commercial dock up the Fraser. What would be the closest near Brentwood / Lougheed Mall.?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZilla View Post
They mentioned on the news that the fish would be sold at any commercial dock up the Fraser. What would be the closest near Brentwood / Lougheed Mall.?
Sapperton landing in New West. Half a dozen fishermen are usually there after an opening. I usually wait for the second opening.

For old time street racers who have been to River Road in Langley, there are a couple of docks where we used to race. I'm sure people will remember where that was......... on the way to 264th.

Remember to be cool and be prepared. Show up with strong garbage bags and totes. If you're lucky enough and the fisherman take a liking to you, they may even prep the fish for a reasonable price. Also, remember that if you are going to freeze the fish, to leave it as is. Head on guts in untouched except for a good washing to get the slime off.

If you are using salmon for sashimi, you need to freeze it before consuming. There's nothing like wild sockeye salmon for sashimi. That farmed Atlantic Salmon is gross. Do a side by side taste test. I guarantee you will never have farmed salmon again.

Last edited by MG1; 08-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #13

It is $3/lb today

Quote:
Sapperton landing in New West. Half a dozen fishermen are usually there after an opening. I usually wait for the second opening.

For old time street racers who have been to River Road in Langley, there are a couple of docks where we used to race. I'm sure people will remember where that was......... on the way to 264th.

Remember to be cool and be prepared. Show up with strong garbage bags and totes. If you're lucky enough and the fisherman take a liking to you, they may even prep the fish for a reasonable price. Also, remember that if you are going to freeze the fish, to leave it as is. Head on guts in untouched except for a good washing to get the slime off.

If you are using salmon for sashimi, you need to freeze it before consuming. There's nothing like wild sockeye salmon for sashimi. That farmed Atlantic Salmon is gross. Do a side by side taste test. I guarantee you will never have farmed salmon again.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
MG1

That's why I wait till second or even third opening on seasons such as this. Prices will drop.

Taking a bit of a chance, but the amount of fish that have made it up make me think this is just the beginning. Temperature of water so important.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
That's why I wait till second or even third opening on seasons such as this. Prices will drop.

Taking a bit of a chance, but the amount of fish that have made it up make me think this is just the beginning. Temperature of water so important.
What would be a "good" price for it?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
What would be a "good" price for it?
Ten bucks a fish or fifteen for big ones. Average 4 to 5 pounds 7 plus for big ones. Fraser River sockeye don't get as big as those that spawn in other rivers and regions. Price will also depend on how much the fishermen get from the canneries and fishing companies. Now that Jimmy owns most of the processing plants in these parts, it may not be much, especially when there's so much fish out there. That's why the fishermen are so eager to sell to the public. Whatever you do avoid places like Steveston and Granville Island. You'll be paying a premium. I'll phone my fisherman buddy and see what's the scoop. Will ask average size of catch this time around. I heard sizes of fish are larger than normal. Like the old days when my father was a commercial fisherman. He fished for nearly 60 years.
For BC Packers when they were still around. Biggest fishing company on the West Coast back then. He noticed fish sizes declining over the years back then.

Last edited by MG1; 08-12-2014 at 07:28 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
MG1

Just called my buddy. There will be an opening next week. Fish are big. Some up to 8 pounds or more. I'll ask him to save me the big ones. Also want red springs. They're better than sockeye for certain things. Pinks are not great for anything except fish cakes. BTW, my wife makes the best salmon fish cakes in the world. Even the hard core natives I used to work with tell me it's the best they've ever had, hands down.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
They're no going to go out and overifsh because you're buying from them because the fishery doesn't work that way. Food fishing licenses have limits. In this respect they're no different than normal commercial or recreational fishing licenses.Aboriginal people aso were successful in managing the fishery for centuries on their own......
I don't know about how the Natural Resources Departments down here work, but in Kamloops for big catches, my old department would use seine/ drag nets from their boats to gather fish for the community fishing. They worked closely with the local fisheries and IF they wanted to sell their catch it wouldn't be possible due to the regulations in place. I think they're the only ones using these methods as it would most likely draw suspicions if individuals are seen using these same methods, plus you need a decent sized boat for this operation and to be honest not a lot of indians have the money to afford the sized boats needed for this. I assume these guys selling are using dip nets for their catches, in addition to rods so it would take longer for them to get a substantial amount of fish.?

With people buying from some of the Indians I don't feel there's any way this would amount to them overfishing as these individuals would eventually be watched by the Natural Resources department and/or DFO if they start bringing in too big of hauls. Indians don't want to lose these "privileges" the Government afforded them so if they're selling, it's not going to be at the huge magnitude to "overfishing"; they're also going to somewhat be selective as to who they sell to. Not just anyone can start showing up and buying fish.

this is the time I miss living in Kamloops and getting 1 or 2 free salmons I need to find a hookup down here for that and game meats :|
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
I need to find a hookup down here for that and game meats :|
Say no more...............I'm your man, sweetie.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Say no more...............I'm your man, sweetie.
lol. I meant for the free fish and game meats

but I guess IF I HAVE to pay for it; you're my man
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
lol. I meant for the free fish and game meats

but I guess IF I HAVE to pay for it; you're my man
I was thinking free fish......... game meats, that's ICE_BOYs department.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
VLS Head Mod

if his game meet is anything like his sausages then no thanks

mmmm salmon

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #23

Not a bad sockeye haul, but frustratingly short fishing window: Gillnetters | News1130

Not a bad sockeye haul, but frustratingly short fishing window: Gillnetters

Martin MacMahon August 12, 2014 11:55 am

CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) – It was a reasonable haul during yesterday’s commercial sockeye opening on the Fraser River, but the time limit is irritating, according to local fishermen.

It wasn’t the largest haul in recent memory, according to Mike Forrest with the Area E Gillnetters Association.

“In 2010, we had a three-hour fishery that was probably twice or three times as good as what this was,” says Forrest. “The indication to us in the fishing community is that the volume of fish that was there in 2010 is certainly not there now.”

He says he managed to catch 191 sockeye yesterday during the three-hour opening, but it wasn’t able to hit his full quota.

“We would have doubled our catch, probably, if we’d had another hour or two of fishing, and there’s always this problem of getting enough time in.”

Fisheries and Oceans Canada predicts this year’s Fraser River sockeye run could see as many as 23 million salmon.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #24
MG1

3 hour opening is better than nothing. DFO has its reasons. They're usually off the mark, but I think they're just being careful. Besides, it's only the first opening. Area E fishermen are traditionally a frustrated bunch (dare I say whiners). Actually, most commercial fishermen are a bitter bunch. My father fished on the West Coast most of the time with Uculet/Spring Cove/Tofino being his favourite places. With a small vessel you took your chances for the season. You carried with you whatever types of net you felt would yield the best results and went on a long journey. When he used to fish in the Charlottes, he'd be gone for nearly five months. The fishermen who fish area E are lucky. They are close to home. Another thing, my father only had a small 45 footer. Slow boat to boot. His boat could convert from gillnet to trolling vessel. I've been out with him a few times when I was a wee little lad. I would only go with him when there was a food opening at the mouth of the Fraser. I could see why he loved being a fisherman. Fresh ocean breeze and being your own boss. Honestly, I have no idea how he ever survived that long. These were the days where only the big vessels had radar and electronic devices. All my dad had was experience and a sixth sense. He knew a storm was coming before any meteorologist could figure it out.

Last edited by MG1; 08-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #25

MG1 do you fish as well did you learn from your dad?
Call me silly but I always like hearing stories about someones parents, it nice to hear that your dad enjoyed what he did.
Feel free to PM any good spots to by sockeye on the up and up.