REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Went out yesterday on the Fraser below mission bridge, limited out in about 3 hours between two boats

Can't imagine fishing from the shore shoulder to shoulder like that, what a joke
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #52
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
Commercial fisheries Area E 24 hr opening from 8:00 am Monday to 8:00 am Tuesday morning. Most likely one more soon after.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #53
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I'll be out tomorrow early. Will be fishing off sand heads in my boat. See you boys out there!
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #54
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I rather stay home then fish shoulder to shoulder. A good amount of fish are being caught all over, you just have to get your lines in the water. I haven't been to pegleg since the last sockeye opening and the sheeer amount of boats is insane. Walk-in access at pegleg really is a gong show. I didn't believe it until I saw it first hand yesterday and I'm used to seeing idiots fish. Good luck to all the fisherman that plan on fishing today. If I wasn't busy, I would totally be out there today.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #55
MG1

Haven't been to Sapperton in a while, so gonna check it out today. Go for a Sunday drive. I heard somewhere that they changed the entry to the gated docks. I've had people pm me where they can get fish and Sapperton is the closest without going native, Granville Island, or Steveston. Will post later on, specifics, when I get back.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Haven't been to Sapperton in a while, so gonna check it out today. Go for a Sunday drive. I heard somewhere that they changed the entry to the gated docks. I've had people pm me where they can get fish and Sapperton is the closest without going native, Granville Island, or Steveston. Will post later on, specifics, when I get back.
It's likely flash-frozen salmon from the big freezing centre in Delta, brought to the docks, thawed, and sold as fresh.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #57
MG1

No, they fish right there, between Patullo and Brunette. Buddy who's at Langley, fishes right under the Port Mann up to just before bend leading to Mission Bridge.

Anyway, just got back. No boats anywhere, and the dock I went to years ago has been taken down. A newer concreted dock is further down river and it looks like it's their new home. No boats. Entry to the road where the docks are has not changed.It is between Richmond Avenue and Cumberland on the river side of East Columbia. Blink, and you miss it.

EDIT: I think I wasn't clear in my previous post. I just wanted to see the changes to the dock, not to buy any fish.

Last edited by MG1; 08-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #58
MG1

If you guys like eating fresh sockeye salmon, enjoy it and take part in making sure it is something enjoyed by future generations.

Make sure to keep our rivers clean. Dispose of oils and chemicals properly. I cringe when I hear of people doing oil changes and draining the used oil down the sewers. Stop the introduction of invasive species into our rivers and streams. Stop buying/eating farmed Atlantic Salmon, until they do it right - tanks instead of pens in open water. Report poachers. Throw back fish that are undersized.

We are so fortunate to have one of the best tasting fish right here in our backyards. I'm no tree hugger, but we all need to do our part.

/sermon
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #59
MG1

24 hr opening Wednesday. Area E
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #60

friends in the business MG?
I don't see anything for the ruling on today, on the DFO website. Should know by 2pm though, but you'd prob right.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #61
MG1

I was out getting fish from fishermen this morning. One of them thought it was noon to noon, but dude who has connections said 8:00 am to 8:00 am. Just eavesdropping.............

Hey, if any of you are looking for work, they're looking for deck hands. Pencil neck geeks and whiners need not apply. Hard worker not afraid of getting dirty - cussing and swearing an asset.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #62
MG1

Another reason for buying whole fish - salmon roe!

Ikura or sujiko.

Chum roe is most sought after of salmon roe and brings in the big bucks, but spring roe is just s good. Sockeye is brighter red but smaller. You gotta know how to prepare it though.

Also, for you sushi freaks. Don't forget to freeze. You can't/shouldn't eat fresh raw salmon or tuna. Must be frozen to kill any bacteria/parasites. Some good info on Internet. Just google.

Fish heads are a delicacy to a lot of Asians. I don't like it, but many say it's the best part, as well as area near gills. Nothing goes to waste. My favourite part is the skin and the fat just under it. Fried/grilled salmon skins, ftmfw!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #63
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:

Also, for you sushi freaks. Don't forget to freeze. You can't/shouldn't eat fresh raw salmon or tuna. Must be frozen to kill any bacteria/parasites. Some good info on Internet. Just google.
I did not know that...wow I used to dig in just like a bear wtf... thanks!

Quote:
Fish heads are a delicacy to a lot of Asians. I don't like it, but many say it's the best part, as well as area near gills. Nothing goes to waste. My favourite part is the skin and the fat just under it. Fried/grilled salmon skins, ftmfw!
i like the eyeball well i did as a kid
skin

I've been meaning to pick up Salmon from the docks but have been too busy sigh :/ wanted to keep a bunch in a freezer too to dine on throughout the winter ugh... i've got to pick up a freezer too sigh not enough time -_-
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #64
MG1

^Costco stand up freezer.

Always wanted a vertical one, but have enough traditional ones that still work at home. Didn't check the energy ratings. Then again, my old freezers are probably inefficient.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #65
MG1

If any of you are going to go get some fish, remember to bring a cooler and some ice. Hot weather like today, fish will cook before you get home. If you ain't got no ice, take cooler into a McD's and ask them nicely to fill it up for you. I always have a fin in my hand when asking (almost waving it, LOL). They cannot charge you, but a fin or two into the Ronald McDonald House charity bin will get you enough ice to keep them suckers cold.

Hey, you end up with lots of cheap ice and the proceeds go to a very good cause.

I've only had one McD's refuse to give me ice. That's because the icemaker was nearly empty.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #66

revised to 8am to 8pm, wednesday
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #67
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Any one checked out the secondary landing sites? The Langley one is the one that MG1 mentioned.

Basically the same place:
Ladner: 3383 River Road West
Ladner: 3437 River Road West
Ladner: Ladner Harbour Authority, Fisherman's Wharf

Westham Island: 4858 Savage Road (unloading dock)

More of less in Ladner:
Delta: Gunderson Slough in Annieville
Delta: Westham Island Net Shed, 3350 Westham Island Road
Delta: Westham Island, 4835 Kirkland Road
Delta: 9300 Alaska Way

Pitt River (Mouth): dock at 1101 Pitt River Road
Maple Ridge: Kanaka Wharf at South end of McKay Avenue, Albion Wharf at South end of 240th Avenue
Maple Ridge: 23970 River Road
Langley (East): McIvor's Landing
Mission: Net Float at foot of Donnateli Avenue (North side of Fraser River, approx. ½ mile upstream from mouth of Stave River)
Gibson's Landing: 1397 Robert's Creek
Steveston: Shed 39, Dyke Road

Last edited by godwin; 08-28-2014 at 10:49 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #68

The most efficient freezers are chest freezers because you don't need to pump the coolant up to cool. However they are bad for your back.

For those who store sockeye for the winter.. get a vacuum sealer from Canadian tire or cheaper from American costco..

Treat the fish with some dignity and forethought (ie don't just freeze the fish whole). Cut the fish up when it is still fresh, into portions and pack them.. I have been using the vacuum sealer for the last decade or so with good results (I trim the fins and bones so they won't take up space and puncture the plastic pack).

Quote:
^Costco stand up freezer.

Always wanted a vertical one, but have enough traditional ones that still work at home. Didn't check the energy ratings. Then again, my old freezers are probably inefficient.

Last edited by godwin; 08-27-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #69

$10 for a 8lb salmon, I would say it is a great season!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #70
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Where is everyone purchasing their salmon this year? T&T, Native Reserves?
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #71
MG1

^read the thread.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #72
MG1

Prices keep falling, as expected.

It's a catch (pun intended) 22 for the fishermen. Hoping for good season, then getting so much it drives prices down, because supply and demand.

I feel for the fishermen. Salmon prices they get from packers and canneries haven't change much over the years, but fuel prices and gear has done nothing but go up. Caught in the midlle.......... damn gotta stop that pun shit, LOL.

Another opening next week......... possibly Tuesday. Not confirmed yet.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #73

First Nations Salmon Economic Opportunity 12 hours opening tomorrow for Musqueam and Tsawwassen 8-8. I think just seeing Asian C9s in their Chanel pumps sorting / selecting fish with their broken English, also ditching their cars while parking on band land is nearly hilarious enough for the drive.

Fish sold out so fast, if you don't show up on time or when the boat docks you are out of luck. Like today, the place I went to sold out 3 minutes after start (3 tubs worth of salmon were sold). The next few hours I will be gutting / processing 30 fish.

T&T doesn't really have good salmon, thank goodness Mainlanders don't particular like them. Superstore ones are gill net caught, they are decent but the price is actually higher than hipsters stores like Daily Catch (which they would fillet, seal and all that jazz for you too). For those who live in apartments but like to store some for the winter I think DC is the least painful way. The store has to make a living too!

The decision for opening for next week is tomorrow.

Quote:
Prices keep falling, as expected.

It's a catch (pun intended) 22 for the fishermen. Hoping for good season, then getting so much it drives prices down, because supply and demand.

I feel for the fishermen. Salmon prices they get from packers and canneries haven't change much over the years, but fuel prices and gear has done nothing but go up. Caught in the midlle.......... damn gotta stop that pun shit, LOL.

Another opening next week......... possibly Tuesday. Not confirmed yet.

Last edited by godwin; 08-28-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #74

To flash freeze at home.. go to Praxair.. eg the one on Clark and Grandview Highway (underneath the skytrain bridge). Get a jug of liquid N2.

Put safety goggles on, pour the N2 into a small tray enough to fit the sashimi in, dunk the sashimi into it.. take it out.. that's it.. fish has been flash frozen and essentially the water molecules in all the parasites had expanded and killed them off. Pour the N2 back into the can and reuse for next time.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #75
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Jesus the comercial rigs basically suck the river dry..

went out and caught limit during the week three times now when the comercial rigs aren't out and limited out in less than 3 hours each time 3-5 of us. Went out yesterday during it being open couldn't get a bite over 5 hours