REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
You'd think if you're going to knowingly put something illegal on your car you'd calculate the risk and cost of what will happen when you get caught. Money is tight? Maybe keep things legal then.
Advertisement
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #27
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
So you CHOSE to tint your window knowing that it's illegal.

And you want to argue that you did it to protect your interior, and that in a case of an accident it's "safer"

To me it just sounds like you're only sorry you got caught, and you're trying to find the easy way out.

Is the time off work, or time away from your business and/or family really worth the money you'll save? I mean best case scenario it's like $140 ish bucks right? ($167-$25)

If I were you I'd just pay the damn ticket, instead of clogging up court time to argue that you did something wrong, knowingly.

-----

Off topic but when I drive in Abbotsford and sometimes Surrey I see so many cars and trucks with super dark front tint (5% area). How do they get away with that?

I had 50% fronts and a police officer noticed it right away.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
going on 8 years and nothing. My car is dirty though
OP should be sure to add this to his list of reasons when he appears before the JJP.

"You should let me off because Adorkami's had his front windows tinted for 8 years without getting a ticket!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #29
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Money is tight? Maybe keep things legal then.
Imagine the saving if he hadnt put tint on the front to begin with!
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
OP should be sure to add this to his list of reasons when he appears before the JJP.

"You should let me off because Adorkami's had his front windows tinted for 8 years without getting a ticket!"
Someone asked who hadn't got a ticket. Been pulled over a few times but never had the officer mention my tint.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #31
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
So you CHOSE to tint your window knowing that it's illegal.

And you want to argue that you did it to protect your interior, and that in a case of an accident it's "safer"

To me it just sounds like you're only sorry you got caught, and you're trying to find the easy way out.

Is the time off work, or time away from your business and/or family really worth the money you'll save? I mean best case scenario it's like $140 ish bucks right? ($167-$25)

If I were you I'd just pay the damn ticket, instead of clogging up court time to argue that you did something wrong, knowingly.

-----

Off topic but when I drive in Abbotsford and sometimes Surrey I see so many cars and trucks with super dark front tint (5% area). How do they get away with that?

I had 50% fronts and a police officer noticed it right away.

When did I say I knew it was illegal until I got pulled over and issued a ticket?
Show me where I said I'm going to argue the tint makes it safer in an event of an accident?

The time off work and whatnot to attend court being worth it to me is my business and concern, not yours.

Trying to find the easy way out? Um, sorta but so what? I'm looking for a way to pay less or no fine because we hear of some people getting just warnings for these offenses. It is my money that I'm trying to save since I felt like I did the right thing after the matter by having it removed right away. Who's looking out for my wallet and bank account if I just suck it up like a model citizen now and pay the fine without questioning things? Is RS going to give me a collective fist-bump and donate money to me?

Give me a break, I just asked for chances of having it reduced to a warning from those in the know, ie. actual police officers.

Instead, I get smartasses throwing in their high and mighty 2 cents, and predictably, Soundy with his obligatory annoying remarks in every one of these kinds of threads.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #32

^ Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #33
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Slightly OT but since this thread has already turned into a bit of a shitfest,

What happens when your car is insured in another state/province that allows front tint, and you drive into BC? Still ticketable?

i.e. A car with ontario plates, or Washington plates, and light tint on the front windows ... is that ticketable if found driving within BC?
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #34
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Slightly OT but since this thread has already turned into a bit of a shitfest,

What happens when your car is insured in another state/province that allows front tint, and you drive into BC? Still ticketable?

i.e. A car with ontario plates, or Washington plates, and light tint on the front windows ... is that ticketable if found driving within BC?
IIRC, it is a ticketable offence.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #35
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
When did I say I knew it was illegal until I got pulled over and issued a ticket?
ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Spoiler!

it's your responsibility to find out whether something is legal or illegal to do before you do it. i hope the JP shits on you and gives you the full fine.

you'd think being a member of RS since 2001 with over 1600 posts would mean you'd have come across the topic of "front tint" atleast ONCE or looked into it, PRIOR to putting it on and whining about it in a sub-forum where you'll usually get little sympathy for stupid shit.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
you'd think being a member of RS since 2001 with over 1600 posts would mean you'd have come across the topic of "front tint" atleast ONCE or looked into it, PRIOR to putting it on and whining about it in a sub-forum where you'll usually get little sympathy for stupid shit.
Stupid member is stupid, regardless of if they joined yesterday or 10 years ago.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #37
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
He could ride his unicorn to court and convince the JP he really didn't live in the same universe as the rest of us? Whaddaya think?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Anyone have front tints and didn't get ticketed yet?
I've seen this, and seen ppl get away with it. Usually on cars that are grocery-getters/commuters that are mostly stock.

Seems the best way is to do all the windows in a very VERY light tint. This way the car looks stock and paired with non-hoonage driving, means you'll draw very little if not 0 attention from the Popo

I'm seriously considering this route.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #39
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^ I got my brother's car tinted ~5-6 years ago when it was brand new -- 70% all around, montego blue e90 sedan, so it definitely does stick out

No tickets, but he doesn't drive in a manner that attracts attention and mostly around Vancouver/North Van

this post will probably jinx that though *touches wood* huehue
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Anyone have front tints and didn't get ticketed yet?
I've previously owned three vehicles with tint all around.

Two of them had 50% fronts and one at 35% ish fronts.

Went through a roadblock during the day one time, the officer noticed it right away. Said if I ripped it off in front of them he'd let me get on with my day.

One of the coolest cops I've ever crossed paths with. I asked if I could borrow his knife, he said for safety reasons he can't. I joked and said "but you've got a gun and vest though". He just smiled and shook his head.

So for the next 20 minutes on the side of the road I was stabbing at my tint with my keys and scraping with my credit cards
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #41
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Id even argue that the tint holding the glass pieces together when it shatters is safer for the driver.

You know, maybe, just maybe, all the safety engineers & car manufacturers in the world overlooked that point????
You know, maybe, just maybe, the fact that many new cars come with laminated front-side glass shows the safety risk of applying film to the front side glass has been considerably overblown?

I was listening to the scanner the other day when the call of a crash comes in. Police were first on scene and called for an ambulance for both occupants due to "lacerations from broken glass".

The thousands of small pieces the tempered glass breaks into can still have some very sharp edges. Having that fly at you at a high velocity can easily cut you up.

The fact that many US states allow front side window tint also shows that the "broken glass" factor so often cited up in Canada isn't much of an issue.

I don't know how we became so anal about a little cling film on the front side windows up here but it's ridiculous.

The picture of the OP's car clearly shows that the driver is visible to people outside the car. I find dark front side glass to be very annoying when I can't make eye contact with the driver.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #42
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post

Yep, welcome to BC (Bring Cash). Please stop at the side of the road upon entry and remove your tint.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Yep, welcome to BC (Bring Cash). Please stop at the side of the road upon entry and remove your tint.

What?!?!? no freakin way! I've seen so many cali cars here by English Bay that have tints all the way around. I dont believe this at all
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #44
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

What?!?!? no freakin way! I've seen so many cali cars here by English Bay that have tints all the way around. I dont believe this at all

It applies to any car being driven in BC:

Quote:
(8) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on

(a) the windshield but not more than 75 mm below the top of the windshield,

(b) a side window that is behind the driver, or

(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking for a way to pay less or no fine because we hear of some people getting just warnings for these offenses. It is my money that I'm trying to save since I felt like I did the right thing after the matter by having it removed right away. Who's looking out for my wallet and bank account if I just suck it up like a model citizen now and pay the fine without questioning things? Is RS going to give me a collective fist-bump and donate money to me?
First, you knew dam well it was illegal. Debating it here is a moot point.
Second, your not saving any money. Your ignorance and lack of respect of the laws is costing you and every other tax payer for tieing up this kind of thing in the court systems.
Third, if you want to watch out for your wallet the best way to do so is education. You spend money to tint your windows knowing that it was illegal to do so but felt justified in doing so. Then you spend money to remove it. Then it will cost you money to go to court and argue this and end up costing you money to pay for the ticket.

Your arguments are a waste of space. You knew you were in the wrong, you came on here hoping that others would have sympathy for your situation and now that your not you get butthurt.

Perhaps if you wish to keep your money in your wallet you should stop doing things that will cost you more money because they are illegal.

If anything, the court system should change when it comes to fighting these offenses. If found guilty even after the new evidence is presented and arguments made, they should be on the hook for the cops time off work, the legal fees and any costs associated with wasting the time of public workers so that they could save money for doing something wrong but not wanting to take responsibility for it.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
In other news, I got a VI (no ticket) for not having my front plate on in Burnaby today.

I showed the Cop the plate, which was sitting on my seat, and he laughed, he said the plate was funny and I should put it back on. I explained to him the legitimate reason why it wasn't on and he went to his car, and came back in like 2 minutes with the notice and I was on my way.

OP should definitely make sure to add this experience to his list of reasons why he deserves less of a fine...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Instead, I get smartasses throwing in their high and mighty 2 cents, and predictably, Soundy with his obligatory annoying remarks in every one of these kinds of threads.
lol noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #48
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I'm an idiot, sorry meme405

Last edited by KO7; 09-23-2014 at 07:52 AM.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #49
Who's naughty? I___i

i had 50% on front and the New West female cop was nice enough to just rip it off for me on the spot instead of giving me a ticket and since then I never got front tint. If the saving is substantial to you or worth that half a day spent at court then just do it.
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #50
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
It applies to any car being driven in BC:

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Who cares what the laws say, any decent cop is not going to ticket for front plate or tint on a out of province vehicle.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: