REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,017
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
10 dramatic photos that show the protests and crackdown in Hong Kong - Vox
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
seems like the protest is getting intense in other parts of HK too
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #28
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
the biggest win HK can get out of this? denying China Taiwan

TW has been getting closer to China in recent years and I'm sure China's just drooling to snap them up. This should be a warning to TW as to what they're in for if they get in bed with China.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,700
Thanked 1,007 Times in 403 Posts
The real young and dangerous right here. Mong gok to Tong Lo Wan.

mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,695
Thanked 3,676 Times in 808 Posts
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
DragonChi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: vancity
Posts: 5,264
Thanked 572 Times in 279 Posts
@mr_chin, LOL

They're not shirtless and tattied.

I wonder how much propaganda/censorship China is putting up right now. I wonder how they'd twist this to their citizens.

The English site for CCTV shows nothing about this. Anyone in China hearing anything on the news?
__________________
DragonChi's BuySell rating

Last edited by DragonChi; 09-28-2014 at 02:24 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouer
Posts: 77
Thanked 148 Times in 25 Posts
saw this on No.3 yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLIP0001[01-16-43].jpg (123.8 KB, 0 views)
Chun~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #33
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 625
Thanked 571 Times in 174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chun~ View Post
saw this on No.3 yesterday
Translation?
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,089
Thanked 248 Times in 116 Posts
Hong Kong Occupy Central protests: Five things to know - CNN.com

Some context
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 2,774
Thanked 2,743 Times in 788 Posts
motorcade in richmond

wanna close hk? just occupy the MTR
__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yraisis
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yray so waisis

[29-06, 13:42] FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna i really cant
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #36
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
香港警務處 sending in negotiators now
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 70
Thanked 58 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chun~ View Post
saw this on No.3 yesterday
Can't wait for the CCP to order Malcom Brodie to take down that sign, too!
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,542
Thanked 1,663 Times in 846 Posts
Friend everything seems fine. He is going to work on the MTR now at Wai Chai.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #39
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,542
Thanked 1,663 Times in 846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Completely irrelevant, as Hong Kong didn't have universal suffrage before 1997 either (and there was no need to, as it was always just a leased colony). However it's in the law that they will be universal suffrage... It wasn't a huge issue until the last few elections, as the government continued do things in the interest of the mainland government rather than the HK people. There are so many issues here, from education to health care to the widening income gap.
That is true having experience this first hand while I was in HK for about a week. You seem mega malls being built with mostly big brand names (Element mall came to mind) There is like no one in the mall because of all stores is there (LV, burberry , Gucci just to name a few). There price is way out of reach for locals but not for the mainland people. So all the local shops were being force to close and these shops being built. Actually when I was there at Element there was a tour group from China and this guy purchase a suitcase full of swarovski stuff. It was crazy how they spend money yet they have no class(he actually spit on the floor lol I was like wft....). Also these Mainland Chinese loves to carry around luggages with them but they don't care if it roll over your foot or if they are blocking your path. I saw one time when I was at the MTR someone was carrying the luggage down the escalator and was blocking everyone, someone told this lady to use the elevator next time. This lady started swearing basically saying she can do what she wants and HK is part of China now. You get these little things everyday which disturb your everyday life.

Happen to me too. I was lining up to get a seat at a dim sum place and this Chinese lady decided to cut in front of me. I swear and scream at her in English. She look scare and just back off and went to the back of the line. She mostly doesn't want to deal with someone who doesn't speak her English and I do look bigger than most Chinese in HK. I image if I speak Chinese she would not back out. So you have to deal with these type of little issue constantly which can get to you.

Another issue is the living space. There is literally no personal space yet the HK gov keeps allowing people from Mainland China to flood into HK to take your resource (IE education, health care, your food, your supplies). This might small but image if you live Burnaby but have to drive all the way out to White rock to get your food there because Burnaby is sold out of everything due to all immigration from China, bet you will be piss too. There was an incident back about a year ago when you can't get milk powder for babies because all the people in China are buying them in bulk. Basically you have to travel maybe an hour to a store that's out in the middle of nowhere and hope they have some left.

There is simply not enough housing and have you people paying $2k HK that's around $300 CND just for a bed (a room no bigger than 50sq ft) with no way to improve your living situation. A friend of mine broke up with his gf of 10 years because he can't afford to put a down payment for a place in HK and she can't keep waiting for him. He actually works longer hours than me and have a better job than me yet he is making less than me. I sure feel pretty lucky to be in Vancouver. Sure I might not be making a ton of money or ever will but I live a happy life with little stress, able to afford an apartment and don't have to deal with a lot of stress.

This protest is not just one issue but rather many many many issue together and the people in HK can no longer take it so they just can't handle it anymore. There is just so much more words can't explain. After my last trip to HK, I don't think I will ever want to go back again. Is just too much stress even for a visitor.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 09-28-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #40
Performance Moderator
 
68style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,812
Thanked 3,388 Times in 958 Posts
^
Dude, I went to Superstore in Richmond today and they were sold out of family size Multigrain Cheerios because some lady grabbed the last 4 boxes on the shelf and it was on sale for cheaper than the smaller box with a limit of 4... like she needs 4 boxes of Multigrain Cheerios... it's already pissing me off
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #41
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,590
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Off topic, but...

Quote:
A friend of mine broke up with his gf of 10 years because he can't afford to put a down payment for a place in HK and she can't keep waiting for him
What a fucking stupid reason to break up with someone.



That is all.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #42
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 16,349
Thanked 5,613 Times in 2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
What a fucking stupid reason to break up with someone.
many asian cultures are incredibly materialistic
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
Manic!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 10,407
Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Off topic, but...



What a fucking stupid reason to break up with someone.



That is all.
It's really not. She wants to get married and have kids and he can't provide that. Also her biological clock is ticking.
__________________
I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,542
Thanked 1,663 Times in 846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Off topic, but...



What a fucking stupid reason to break up with someone.



That is all.
I guess HK ppl are like that. But then is near impossible for people in HK to actually purchase an apartment these days without the help of parents.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #45
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...
 
Iceman_2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Posts: 6,774
Thanked 116 Times in 83 Posts
And its getting more and more common.
__________________
Trinity: "DUDE WTF ARE YOU DOING?! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?!?

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"


ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #46
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Teriyaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,262
Thanked 510 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's really not. She wants to get married and have kids and he can't provide that. Also her biological clock is ticking.
Then rent. Find a way to make it work.

It might have been the straw the camels back, but to purely pin it on that would be a dumb reason to break up if they were your soul-mate to begin with.

Anyhow, that is digressing from the topic at hand which is of much greater importance.

I don't see this ending well. China has its back up against a wall here like it or not. It's not going to want to look weak, because a loss here could likely fuel ideas of multiple other protests in other chinese cities for all sorts of issues related to governance. I just hope the leaders of the government, both HK and PRC can think of some way appease the population while doing so in a way that doesn't give rise to a revolution all over the country. I don't have that confidence in them though, so I fear the worst for the people of HK.
__________________
I like to sit in chairs that fly through the sky
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #47
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)
 
Tim Budong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Womb
Posts: 16,813
Thanked 10,865 Times in 2,127 Posts
I'm proud to be born and raised in Hong Kong

It deeply saddens me that it has come to this, it was inevitable. However, having a much better understanding on this stuff now. The real question I'd like to ask is...

Is Hong Kong ready to support themselves? Especially with how powerful China has gotten in the past 10 years, its going to be tough for this port city to ever re-gain the glory it has gotten before.
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #48
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,542
Thanked 1,663 Times in 846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
I'm proud to be born and raised in Hong Kong

It deeply saddens me that it has come to this, it was inevitable. However, having a much better understanding on this stuff now. The real question I'd like to ask is...

Is Hong Kong ready to support themselves? Especially with how powerful China has gotten in the past 10 years, its going to be tough for this port city to ever re-gain the glory it has gotten before.
I don't think it ever will. China have surpass HK in so many ways now in the International stage. Before HK might still be better but not anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Then rent. Find a way to make it work.

It might have been the straw the camels back, but to purely pin it on that would be a dumb reason to break up if they were your soul-mate to begin with.

Anyhow, that is digressing from the topic at hand which is of much greater importance.

I don't see this ending well. China has its back up against a wall here like it or not. It's not going to want to look weak, because a loss here could likely fuel ideas of multiple other protests in other chinese cities for all sorts of issues related to governance. I just hope the leaders of the government, both HK and PRC can think of some way appease the population while doing so in a way that doesn't give rise to a revolution all over the country. I don't have that confidence in them though, so I fear the worst for the people of HK.
Well I think the HK gov is just going to let things die down. Remember ppl in HK are really forgetful after a few weeks I doubt this many people will still support the protest. Also the people who protest will need to get back their old lives (working, going back to school, taking care of their kids etc etc...) They simply can't afford to be drag on. The PRC isn't going to back down at all.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 2,774
Thanked 2,743 Times in 788 Posts
__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yraisis
[10-11, 09:24] dapperfied yray so waisis

[29-06, 13:42] FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna i really cant
[29-06, 13:41] FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #50
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 395
Thanked 613 Times in 116 Posts
Was waiting for a parking spot today and damn mainlander comes out of no where and steals my spot. Fuck em! /rant
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net