REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Universal Suffrage protest in Hong Kong (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698455-universal-suffrage-protest-hong-kong.html)

asian_XL 09-28-2014 12:20 AM

Universal Suffrage protest in Hong Kong

http://youtu.be/w4q8fs8gTIs?list=PLQ...MiaJq24FJyWGhz

youtube live right now, pretty crazy going on here, hopefully no riot and shit

2 months after, it's still the same shit

LIVE in MongKok

mr_chin 09-28-2014 12:24 AM

Care to fill us in on what is happening?

EmperorIS 09-28-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8535349)
Care to fill us in on what is happening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Hong_Kong_electoral_reform

EmperorIS 09-28-2014 12:55 AM

OH SHIETTT THEY PUSHING!!!!!!!!!!!

dogeatcookie 09-28-2014 01:26 AM

香港加油

TOPEC 09-28-2014 02:02 AM

i was just about to post this, seems to be getting really intense

Manic! 09-28-2014 02:55 AM

Holly crap the riot police are surrounded.

Manic! 09-28-2014 02:57 AM

Now tear gas!!!

CP.AR 09-28-2014 02:58 AM

The city is a fucking mess. I just passed admiralty station on the MTR. Fucking mess

CP.AR 09-28-2014 03:27 AM

Local media reports rubber bullets being prepared by HKPD

bcrdukes 09-28-2014 05:46 AM

Worst EDM festival ever.

cheeky_scrub 09-28-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 8535371)
Local media reports rubber bullets being prepared by HKPD

I hope they don't switch to live ammo and go full Tiananmen.

Tim Budong 09-28-2014 07:22 AM

Stay safe HK

asian_XL 09-28-2014 07:32 AM

they send cops by trains

SkinnyPupp 09-28-2014 07:40 AM

I was near the outskirts of the protest today, and it is intense even there. Of course the footage speaks for itself. I saw one guy standing at the edge of a bridge, and rescue services had set up a crash pad below him. Not sure what came of that

It is mostly peaceful, although at the front lines police have already sprayed people with pepper spray, and have dispersed tear gas.

As for why the protests, here's a very quick coles notes:

-When UK handed Hong Kong over to the PRC, the "1 country 2 systems" promised autonomy in HK. This includes universal suffrage as an eventual goal. After 2047 PRC could then begin to adapt the two systems together in some way (I guess they assume by then, Taiwan would be happy to join in)

-China has denied the vote for years, most recently for the 2017 election they said that nominees must be vetted by beijing before they could be eligible for election

-Add this to all the attempts at forced cultural influence china is attempting, and tensions have only gotten higher. 2017 was "the last straw" for a proper election, so now this is happening.

CP.AR 09-28-2014 07:51 AM

Off Topic: relavent for RS

Wild Classic Mustang spotted fighting for our rights
https://scontent-b-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/...12&oe=54CE249F

ae101 09-28-2014 08:22 AM

finally someone with some balls stepped to plate & did something thay wasnt just talk

dai yu ting is a moron & so is.that robert chow, both sides are full

welcome to revscene.com.hk

StylinRed 09-28-2014 08:30 AM

may sound harsh but HK has to finally come to accept that they are a part of China and while they have 2 systems its still ultimately controlled by China (it has been that way since '97) and eventually the 2 systems will = 1.

This is the reality that these students have been living in since birth as most of these students were probably born after 1997. This will lead nowhere especially with this universal suffrage case as China is still maintaining that voting rights are still there as Hongers get to vote for 3 approved candidates (lol bs i know but its arguable)

I will say these students deserve major kudos for sticking it out for so long and not backing down from the pressure so far, I just don't see a positive result for their goal but I would love to be proved wrong

SkinnyPupp 09-28-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8535400)

This is the reality that these students have been living in since birth as most of these students were probably born after 1997.

Completely irrelevant, as Hong Kong didn't have universal suffrage before 1997 either (and there was no need to, as it was always just a leased colony). However it's in the law that they will be universal suffrage... It wasn't a huge issue until the last few elections, as the government continued do things in the interest of the mainland government rather than the HK people. There are so many issues here, from education to health care to the widening income gap.

These students, who most wealthy adults consider nothing more than ignorant kids, see nothing but bad things for their future. They're trying desperately to change that...

However as you said, there's probably not a lot they can do. We all know what the Tienanmen massacre did for china's reputation globally though, and if they manage to do something like that again, who knows what would happen.

twitchyzero 09-28-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8535407)
. We all know what the Tienanmen massacre did for china's reputation globally though, and if they manage to do something like that again, who knows what would happen.

i don't think it'll ever come to that again but even assuming worst case scenario, the UN and Amnesty Intn'l will just condemn it and continue to do diddly squat :derp:

Bender Unit 09-28-2014 10:18 AM

So both of the protest parties leader were called retreat, but didn't seem people are listening anymore.

SkinnyPupp 09-28-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Unit (Post 8535423)
So both of the protect parties leader were called retreat, but didn't seem people are listening anymore.

Think the call for retreat is just for show?

lady_mapetite 09-28-2014 10:48 AM

i was born in hk but raised in Canada since i was a baby and although i consider myself to be Canadian, seeing this happening in my home town saddens me.

the 1 country 2 system was promised to hk and for 50 years, why can't China be more patient and live up to their promise? i agree that eventually hk will have to assimilate to the governance of PRC but this is not the way to do it, you can't shove down your policies and ideas and expect hk to take it all in. how did hk end up in foreign hands in the first place - China's doing (albeit not willingly). hk can be viewed as a child brought up by foreign parents, exposed and grown under the influence of western culture and although hk has found/returned to its real parents, you can't expect the western influence, ideals and culture to be eradicated just because the biological parents said you can't retain those values anymore.

i also understand that China has to take into consideration the consequences of allowing hk to function as is under the 1 country 2 systems model. the unrest in Mongolia and Tibet are closely monitoring this and will most definitely use this as leverage to gain autonomy from China. but a promise is a promise - China offered 50 years to hk, hk should get those 50 years.

SkunkWorks 09-28-2014 11:12 AM

There's a protest being planned for Vancouver as well. I've never felt compelled to join in any political protests or rallies, but this one takes the cake.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...abfe1ce3682235

And on FB: https://www.facebook.com/HOCCHOCC/ph...840230/?type=1

SkinnyPupp 09-28-2014 11:43 AM

BTW if you want to stay up to date, keep an eye on this post, which is updated in real time with pictures and videos from twitter and facebook

[live] Occupy Central civil disobedience movement