REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #101
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Even Stephen Harper realized the folly of harping against China. Money talks and makes the world go round. Face it - your job is in someway connected to the growth of China.
the growth of the last 30 years is predominately based on infrastructure investments. face it, china's nothing but a big construction zone. no major innovation breakthroughs out of a 1.3 billion strong nation says a lot about the opaque and corrupt natures of a chinese system that is based on lies and deceptions. it's very unfortunate canada is moving closer to china economically.
Advertisement
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #102
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Before taxes, maybe. After taxes?
Considering the living environment, before or after taxes, you're better off in Vancouver.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^
Perhaps. But the statement was about dollars and cents. And if you factor in the double taxation (tax on income + sales tax) we get here, then Canadians are not financially better off, all else equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
You forgot the opportunity cost of living in HK. Canadians get a relatively better living environment than people in HK. Fresh air, fresh water, beautiful outdoors, and more space is worth something at the very least.
Jcmaz - Don't want to make another post, but read the post above me. You said the same shit he said and I gave my explanation already. Now you speak of opportunity cost. But how about the opportunity to sacrifice what, 5-10 years to live in a lesser living environment so you can actually head home (Vancouver) with a cash down payment in your hands; all the while locals are bitching about affordability? Some people value living conditions, but there are people willing to exchange that for hard earned dollars out there. It may be unfathomable, but have you considered that for a fresh grad, HK is miles more appealing due to the excitement and opportunities the city generates over Vancouver? While I chose to stay in Vancouver, I'm not about to question other people's choices. To each their own.

Last edited by Spoon; 09-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #104
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You forgot the opportunity cost of living in HK. Canadians get a relatively better living environment than people in HK. Fresh air, fresh water, beautiful outdoors, and more space is worth something at the very least.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #105
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Jcmaz - Don't want to make another post, but read the post above me. You said the same shit he said and I gave my explanation already. Now you speak of opportunity cost. But how about the opportunity to sacrifice what, 5-10 years to live in a lesser living environment so you can actually head home (Vancouver) with a cash down payment in your hands; all the while locals are bitching about affordability? Some people value living conditions, but there are people willing to exchange that for hard earned dollars out there. It may be unfathomable, but have you considered that for a fresh grad, HK is miles more appealing due to the excitement and opportunities the city generates over Vancouver? While I chose to stay in Vancouver, I'm not about to question other people's choices. To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Are you choosing not to read his posts? It seems like you're really stretching that Econ101/102 education a bit too far there.

Sort of back on topic. Most of the stories out of HK are in Chinese. I was wondering whether there was a reputable news source updating the situation in HK? BBC/Reuters seem to come to mind, but are there any else (especially those of you actually in HK actually suggest)?
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #106
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Really?
?? I am serious. This thread needs a clean up with some of these washed up posts imo.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #107
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
are you even in Hk right now?
Hyde, are you a triad in Yuen Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123654123 View Post
i really don't get why a lot of people that grew up here decided to go back to hk after university... sure it'll be easier for you to get a job there with your canadian degree but dollar wise you'd probably make more money here with the same job title
You will never get it. Really, are you even a Chinese?
Sure you get a lot of Chinese speaking people in Vancouver, but in general they do not think Vancouver is their HOME. Many people's root is still in Hong Kong, the immigration wave in the early 90s didn't bring all their family members to Canada.

For example, my dad was born in HK and has 7 siblings, 3 in HK and 4 in Calgary. He still has properties, cars and memories in HK, so his root is in HK not Canada, even though he lived in Vancouver for 15 years. He moved back with the reason, that's the place he was born.

Speaking of jobs, it's not about opportunities, as I mentioned in last page, wage in HK is very low in the first 5 years or even longer if you are stuck in particular industries. Employment rate is always low, but those low-end jobs never get filled, which means full employment makes it tougher time fighting with other U graduates.

Luckily I am in the finance side here, people around me are either oversea graduates, or first honour from UK or with Master degree. It is tough to fight your way up.

Cost of living is different in HK, you should know. No GST/PST bullshit, max income tax rate is 17%, cost of investment is low, you don't need a car to travel around, so buying a car, fuel, insurance, maintenance can be cut. Utilities are cheap here too, gas, electricity, land tax, internet.

Last edited by asian_XL; 09-29-2014 at 06:07 PM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #108

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123654123 View Post
i really don't get why a lot of people that grew up here decided to go back to hk after university... sure it'll be easier for you to get a job there with your canadian degree but dollar wise you'd probably make more money here with the same job title
Why? Mommy and daddy will feed them. Minimum half a dozen of high limit credit cards for them to spend at Lan Kwai Fong each weekend and at least a few bimmers and sport cars for them to drive.

Just look at Hyde. Perfect example.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #109
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
I just got back from a vacation in HK. Over a couple of weeks I spent a lot of time talking to friends, family friends, acquaintances, and some older folks. Even before all of this current news, a LARGE majority of my highschool friends expressed interest in returning to Vancouver. There are certain advantages in HK (different opportunities, huge night life, better shopping, lower income tax, a giant market) but the disadvantages have weighed heavily on them all.

Even though we're the same age, tbh, they all look pretty stressed out and tired. Simple things like open space, fresh air, fresh water, cost of driving, recycling and a less stressful environment are things we take for granted here in Canada. Once you experience HK, these differences are magnified ten-fold. They all had different reasons for returning to HK after highschool/university but the overall mentality is "I'm done with HK. If you can find me a job as soon as I land, I will move back to Vancouver tomorrow".

Work expectations out in HK are also pretty crazy. A 9-6pm job translates to 9-8pm on the regular with meetings and other events scheduled after work as well. A friend of mine occasionally has to work 9am-11pm simply because of the nature of the job. That's ridiculous. HK is a real nice place to vacation in but I sure as hell appreciate Vancouver even more than I did before. To each their own, but you really need to know what you're stepping into when you move to HK.

Again, all of this didn't even factor in the political problems. I for one hope my friends choose to come back here ASAP.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #110

Returning to Vancouver is just a way to escape reality. lol
I was in a wedding of my highschool friend, they also have plans to move back to Vancouver, but that's for their kids only.

imo, unstability means opportunity. If the smarties really leave Hong Kong, competition will be less. My boss always tells the story which people immigrates in the early 90s, even though he was a highschool dropout, he got promoted frequently to fill the management gap. Life will be easier if people leave. Thank you very much.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #111
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
the growth of the last 30 years is predominately based on infrastructure investments. face it, china's nothing but a big construction zone. no major innovation breakthroughs out of a 1.3 billion strong nation says a lot about the opaque and corrupt natures of a chinese system that is based on lies and deceptions. it's very unfortunate canada is moving closer to china economically.
I generally agree, but I think they will lead the way in genetic research (think cloning), having the benefit of not being held back by religious leaders in power and their idiotic, irrational ideals.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
?? I am serious. This thread needs a clean up with some of these washed up posts imo.
Report them then. I don't see anything bad
Old 09-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #113
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I believe the general public only want to make sure everyone has "3 meals a day and a roof over your head". And these very basic needs are being threatened right now. But having the ability to choose your leader will not resolve this concern.

No one ever cared about democracy and the right to choose their leader when HK was under British rule. Why is that? Because the economy was humming along and the public could care less about politics.

If they don't turn their focus to the economy and park the democracy issue, HK could see dark dark days ahead.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #114

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Chinese Consulate Vancouver right now.

v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #115
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I understand the fustration in Hong Kong. But really nothing they can do about it. I don't see any other country will/can step up and defend HK.

Off topic:

I moved to Vancouver from HK in elementary school. Most of my family is there and I sure as hell won't move back to work.

The only reason I go back for vacation is family. Nothing attracts me to go there for vacation.

Job?
Work-life balance. My job provides good pay.

Chinese/asian Food?
Vancouver is awesome - try any other city in Canada. Diaherria all day in HK every time.

Fresh air?
Vancouver

Nightlife?
Not interested. Waste of money.

Shopping?
States or Europe or online

Education?
Any city in North America

Kids?
Kids should play and learn, not compete with other kids when they are 18 months old.

Culture?
Generally people are rude and loud in Hong Kong.
Special K is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #116

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Work expectations out in HK are also pretty crazy. A 9-6pm job translates to 9-8pm on the regular with meetings and other events scheduled after work as well. A friend of mine occasionally has to work 9am-11pm simply because of the nature of the job. That's ridiculous. HK is a real nice place to vacation in but I sure as hell appreciate Vancouver even more than I did before. To each their own, but you really need to know what you're stepping into when you move to HK.
+1

just visit anywhere in east asia...japan singapore taiwan
extremely fast-paced...fully loaded days, many don't take saturdays off and would probably kill to have your typical vancouver full-time job
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #117
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ LOL you mean a job where I can talk about hockey and the hockey pool with my manager for an hour and not get in trouble?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
newest update is that in MK and Yuen Long a lot of triad members are beginning to provoke the cops. looting has also begun in MK.
maybe the chinese government can just hire people to start trouble and start riots and make the hongers look bad and that will force china to send in troops to shut down the protests because "rioters" are getting violent.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
maybe the chinese government can just hire people to start trouble and start riots and make the hongers look bad and that will force china to send in troops to shut down the protests because "rioters" are getting violent.
This happens a lot actually, you don't deserve the fails. It's called Agent Provocateur
Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #120

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
lol chinese government has full faith in CY that he will resolve this, thats what the chinese government said (dad was reading phoenix tv headlines last night)

then after this government will tell CY to step down but giving him a some crappy health reason (just like dong chi hua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
I understand the fustration in Hong Kong. But really nothing they can do about it. I don't see any other country will/can step up and defend HK.

Off topic:

I moved to Vancouver from HK in elementary school. Most of my family is there and I sure as hell won't move back to work.

The only reason I go back for vacation is family. Nothing attracts me to go there for vacation.

Job?
Work-life balance. My job provides good pay.

Chinese/asian Food?
Vancouver is awesome - try any other city in Canada. Diaherria all day in HK every time.

Fresh air?
Vancouver

Nightlife?
Not interested. Waste of money.

Shopping?
States or Europe or online

Education?
Any city in North America

Kids?
Kids should play and learn, not compete with other kids when they are 18 months old.

Culture?
Generally people are rude and loud in Hong Kong.
Then you should really stay in Vancouver if you really think like this. Below is my prespective after staying here for 7 year

Job: You always get a choice, if you don't like 9-8 working style, you are free to quit. I now work 9-6 Mon - Fri and be able to make decent amount. Always influence your co-worker to work smart. I tend to pick boss that is young and married, easier to work with.

Food: You get work you pay for. $25 tea menu is no longer the $25 tea menu you get in 2005. Always openrice and pick your restaurant.

Fresh Air: Do you need it when Aircon every-fucking-day.

Shopping: Taobao, period

Education: Any bachelor degree works quite well in HK. I will enrol my kids to local school no matter what, learn discipline and math before they pick their own university.

Kids: learn and experience the hardship when they are small, then they know what's valuable in the future.

Culture: What culture? I still Revscene everyday.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #122

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Fresh Air: Do you need it when Aircon every-fucking-day.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #123
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
You can't seriously be comparing air conditioning to fresh air in Canada...

I was there for mid August to September. 30-35 degrees Celsius and like 100% humidity. It was fucking disgusting lol.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #124

Arguing about wanting or not wanting to live in HK is pointless. If you don't like it, don't live there. It has nothing to do with this topic anyway
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #125

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Culture: What culture? I still Revscene everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote