REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #1601
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
where can i get a set of new winters for $400?
Look at my post above.
Advertisement
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #1602
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
damn here i was content with $750/set of 18s
now i get why people put 15s on their winter beater
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #1603

Quote:
I'd put on 10's if i could.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #1604
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,396 Times in 550 Posts
Quote:
Pricing goes up as wheel size goes up though. But yea, go for smallest size that'll clear the calipers is the general thinking
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #1605
I STILL don't get it

Looking for some new all weather tires to replace my wrg4's.

I've never driven with true winter tires, and the Nokians were the only 'winter-ish' tires I've ever used so I don't really know how good they were. I think they were good, but at times I was like ehh.

The options i'm considering are another set of wrg4's, Michelin crossclimate2's, Toyo Celsius, or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited by wreck; 11-23-2020 at 05:04 PM.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #1606
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
Looking for some new all weather tires to replace my wrg4's.

I've never driven with true winter tires, and the Nokians were the only 'winter-ish' tires I've ever used so I don't really know how good they were. I think they were good, but at times I was like ehh.

The options i'm considering are another set of wrg4's, Michelin crossclimate2's or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks.
I’ve used the WRG2, WRG3, Nordman WR, run-flat Blizzaks, and regular all-seasons (Pirelli P7, Michelin Hydroedge, etc.)

The all-weather tires I’ve used are a lot better in the snow and ice than all-seasons for sure. I would say they were close to the Blizzaks in snow/ice. I did feel they weren’t great in terms of longevity (every set I had developed a sidewall bulge on at least 1 tire before the warranty expired).

From Consumer Reports, the CrossClimate+ (75) is their top-rated all-weather tire followed by the Assurance WeatherReady (64), Vredestein Quatrac 5 (62), Firestone WeatherGrip (61), WRG4 (59), and Toyo Celsius (53).

The Firestone was the best rated of the bunch in snow and the WRG4 was the best rated on ice. The CrossClimate+ was the only all-weather tire to score above average in all categories.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #1607
I STILL don't get it

^ interesting.

yea, I've narrowed it down to the wrg4 (~$1100), crossclimate+ (~$1200), and the assurance weatherready (~$900).
Old 11-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #1608

Might be late to the game for stock but looking for a set of All-Weather tires to replace All-Seasons. Don't want to get dedicated winter tires as I don't have a place to store them in the condo. Any recommendations?
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #1609
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I’ve used the WRG2, WRG3, Nordman WR, run-flat Blizzaks, and regular all-seasons (Pirelli P7, Michelin Hydroedge, etc.)

The all-weather tires I’ve used are a lot better in the snow and ice than all-seasons for sure. I would say they were close to the Blizzaks in snow/ice. I did feel they weren’t great in terms of longevity (every set I had developed a sidewall bulge on at least 1 tire before the warranty expired).

From Consumer Reports, the CrossClimate+ (75) is their top-rated all-weather tire followed by the Assurance WeatherReady (64), Vredestein Quatrac 5 (62), Firestone WeatherGrip (61), WRG4 (59), and Toyo Celsius (53).

The Firestone was the best rated of the bunch in snow and the WRG4 was the best rated on ice. The CrossClimate+ was the only all-weather tire to score above average in all categories.
Didn't realize that the Celsius rated so low. On the dealer end of things, they're readily available since CrossClimate is way more money and limited in sizing. People aren't receptive of Firestone, and Nokian usually has cheese for tread softness so they're already mad that the expensive all-weathers Kal-Tire sold them are shot in a year and a half.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
Might be late to the game for stock but looking for a set of All-Weather tires to replace All-Seasons. Don't want to get dedicated winter tires as I don't have a place to store them in the condo. Any recommendations?
DWS-06, the bomb
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #1611
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
I just got a set of Michelin CrossClimate Plus and they are great so far. Good dry and wet performance and quiet. I can drive on them all year long if I wanted to except I have OEM wheel/summer tires combo already. But it opens up to prolonging set of tires that I can use year round. Plus, they are V-rated, not that I would be driving fast in winter, but they would perform well in summer.

However in hindsight, I could have just sold my summers and replace them with the CrossClimate+ so I do not have store another set of wheels/tires in the house.

I chose those over dedicated winter such as Micheline Xice-Snow or X-Ice Xi3 is because for the mild winter that we get in Vancouver, it is better in the wet and dry than winter tires. It still have the snow-flake symbol so it is legal in all aspect as winter tire, but obviously, it will not be as good as dedicated winter tires when there is lots of snow or sheets of ice. It's a balancing act so you have to decide how much hard core snow/ice you will be driving in.

I previously had nokian hakkapeliitta r3 as dedicated winter tires on my previous car, and they were pretty good but slip alot due to my car being rear wheel drive and high powered.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #1612
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Helps to mention what car you have, and how you'll be driving it
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #1613

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Didn't realize that the Celsius rated so low. On the dealer end of things, they're readily available since CrossClimate is way more money and limited in sizing. People aren't receptive of Firestone, and Nokian usually has cheese for tread softness so they're already mad that the expensive all-weathers Kal-Tire sold them are shot in a year and a half.
Quote:
CR's Take

Though marketed as an all-weather tire, the Toyo Celcius takes a long time to stop in wet conditions, according to CR's tests. On the other hand, it scores a Very Good rating for resisting hydroplaning and ranks above average in winter conditions, earning Very Good ratings in those tests.
FWIW, every tire in this category (they put all-weather tires in the performance all-season category) scored very good in hydroplaning except the Kumho Solus TA71 which scored excellent
Old 11-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #1614
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
thats my issue with the Nokian wrg4's.. the softness and corresponding treadwear..

my size is 235/45/17 and don't come in the 'newer' crossclimate2, but they are available in the crossclimate+ and GY assurance weatherready

crosslimate+ has a tread warranty of 70k km, whereas the crossclimate2 is 100k km. the wrg4's are 70k km and assurance weatherready are 100k km.

Last edited by wreck; 11-30-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #1615

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
thats my issue with the Nokian wrg4's.. the softness and corresponding treadwear..

my size is 235/45/17 and don't come in the 'newer' crossclimate2, but they are available in the crossclimate+ and GY assurance weatherready

crosslimate+ has a tread warranty of 70k km, whereas the crossclimate2 is 100k km. the wrg4's and assurance weatherready are also 100k km.
The CC+ tread warranty is 90k km

https://www.michelin.ca/en/tires/cro...mate-plus.html
Old 11-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #1616
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
90k km for H,V, 70k km for W,Y

My 235/45/17 are Y

https://www.michelin.ca/on/demandwar...renceGuide.pdf
Old 12-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #1617
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
do winter tires need to warm up?

everyday after work, tires seem to slide like ikea trays in the first couple kms

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #1618
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Anyone actually tried any of these?

RoTaLLA - S220 $89.95
APTANY - RW312 $90.95
Artic Claw - Winter WXI (Studdable) $96.56
Maxtrek - Trek M7 $109.28
Kumho Tires - Sollus HA31 SUV - $112.89
Kumho Tires - Crugen HT51 - $118.08
Firestone - Weathergrip - $119.64
Firestone - Winterforce 2 UV - $120.48
Kumho Tire - Wintercraft WS31 - $121.44
Generaltire - Altimax Arctic 12 - $122.50
Coopertires - Evolution Winter - $127.70
Goodyear - Wintercommand - $129.44
Sailun - Iceblazer WSTI - $130.29
Yokohama - Iceguard G075 - $147.05

I'm thinking if I were to go the "cheap" route of getting 2nd tier tires....at least the Kumho / Firestones ones? Or the Altimax Artic 12 mentioned last page.

Difference between a set of Arctic12 @ Quattro would be $535 all/in vs Pirelli Winter Ice $736 @ Costco.

Last edited by v_tec; 12-06-2020 at 05:22 PM.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #1619
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
I’ve got the sailun’s on my RS. No complaints at all really. No louder than My summer tires, they Launch hard, grip well in the dry and no hydroplaning on rutted/water covered highways. No snow yet but I have high expectations
Old 12-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #1620
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Lots of firestone winterforce's up here in snow country, I may end up with a set as well. My KO2's are getting near 50% tread so i'll probably throw a set of winters on. (The grabber's I ordered a month ago are now apparently 5 months away, so I cancelled obviously)

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #1621
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
About a decade ago I had some Iceguards and they were fantastic, but I don't recall what model number they were
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #1622
Rs has made me the man i am today!

where do you guys recommend to swap my tires over and store them as well for the season?

Thanks
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #1623
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
got hyped up by The Straight Pipes and got a set of Conti Viking Contact 7s.

Pretty decent sidewall stiffness for regular handling, waiting to see what they can do on ice and snow.

Loved my General Altimax Arctics prior, just wanted to try something newer and "better"

Cmonnn snowwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #1624
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
where do you guys recommend to swap my tires over and store them as well for the season?

Thanks
Just so I understand, are you looking for offsite tire storage?

I don't know about the prices or whether the quality of service has changed, but the OK Tire on Kingsway just off of Victoria was pretty good to me for several seasons. Had my BMW and Porsche wheels and tires stored and purchased from them.

The storage fee (at the time) was reasonable but I don't remember what it was; They were competitive based on my research and this was between 2010 - 2015, so a solid 5 years I had done business with them. They store your tires/wheels in-house, and not off site like some tire shops will do, so for peace of mind, and ease of swapping, I liked them for that, and plus they were close to home. Make sure you ask to be sure! Both the owner, manager, and staff were great. Shop manager's name is Sterling, and he still remembers me when I sent him an email for some pricing around this time last year.

Make sure you shop around as I am sure there are other shops around which may be closer to you or cheaper. I chose them based on the fact they were 5 mins from home, and the cost was reasonable (but not rock bottom cheap.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #1625
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^
Canadian Tire near my house charges $50 for the tire swap and $80 to store in their warehouse offsite. 2 days notice for them to bring them back.

Sounds pretty reasonable.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote