REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #251
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
LOL heard an ad on the radio this morning from the Conservatives basically saying "Remember the BC NDP from back in the day? Yeah...Mulcair is like that. Can't be trusted!"

Geez...why does every ad have to be a shit throwing contest? I'd love to see a politician just talk straight up about the issues and not pander to the lowest common denominator of idiots that just want to vote based on hair.
I wish they'd just ban negative ads/references to other parties in political ads.

Tell me what you're going to do, don't tell me what the other guys are going to do.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #252
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Honestly, my vote would go to whomever had the strongest stance on combating foreign investment and levelling the playing field (real estate-wise) for Canadian citizens. As well as taking a tougher stance on immigration fraud, PR residency requirements, and in general creating tougher borders.

Call it small-minded but I'm able to pay for school without taking on debt and/or borrowing from the bank of Mom & Dad, I am studying and doing a co-op in a field that is 90% likely to get me a good job after graduation, and the only real "struggle" I think I will face is buying a house in today's inflated market.

But it's hard to choose as they all seem pretty wishy-washy with their "promises" and policies. Harper says if he is re-elected, he will look into whether Canadians are being held at a disadvantage in the real estate market. My question is, why didn't he do this for the last 7 years....? If he started taking a firm stance on foreign investment back in 2006, a lot of the problems we face in Vancouver, Toronto, et al., would be nonexistent. Then there's the matter of the immigrant investor program, which to me was a huge fucking joke...
I will make the assumption that you, like many others, have never really considered the macro economic impact of the housing market that we have seen over the last ten years.

The reality is this, if the gov did not fan the RE flames for the last decade, we would likely have experienced an extended period of limited growth or potentially even recession. Finance, real estate, and construction together make up nearly 25% of our GDP... if there was no housing bubble, what would be filling the void?

By "increasing the effectiveness" of the CMHC (40 year + Zero down mortgages) and cutting the overnight lending rate the Gov. made home ownership much more affordable (on a monthly payment basis anyway lol). The banks could now approve mortgages for people they would not have traditionally approved mortgages for as CMHC protects them from any significant financial losses. What did this do? Well obviously it got builders slapping houses/condos together at an alarming rate, this created thousands of jobs, consumed massive amount of raw materials, and supported a huge manufacturing base.

The gov knows that if mortgage rates were to revert to the mean tmw there would be a lot of people in deep shit, luckily Canada can keep rates depressed for many years to come as our debt to GDP ratio is the best of any G7 country which provides a financial insulation of sorts for the country. (Lower debt to GDP means you can borrow at a lower costs, less risk = lower bond yields)

It's not that the Gov doesn't realize what's going on, they facilitated it, and until some other economic segment can pick up the slack, don't expect any serious regulation to come in that would put downward pressure on home prices.

So what's it all mean, right now homebuyers are like "damn I don't make enough money"... if the housing bubble never happened it would probably be more like "damn I don't have a job".

It's a brief and ugly explanation... but it's all there.

Edit: BTW Manic, you know that harperman news about guy getting put on leave is almost a month old now right?
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #253
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've voted Green in every election in which I've been eligible but I have a Progressive Canadian Party (the closest successor to the Progressive Conservative Party) candidate running in my riding this time, and if I choose to not vote strategically, they may be my choice.

It would be great to see the return of a party with a center-right stance on economic issues and a center, or even a center-left, stance on social issues. I know that I'm far from alone in holding that opinion.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #254
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

Edit: BTW Manic, you know that harperman news about guy getting put on leave is almost a month old now right?
Yes I know that but not everyone follows politics and I bet a number of people in this thread did not know that. Plus it answers some of PeanutButter's question"
Also, what are the major Harper screw ups?" in a song format
Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #255
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
This link, so far, is the most comprehensive list of Conservative party abuses while in power. It's a long read, but worth reviewing prior to voting to determine if these actions are acceptable to you or not:

Harper, Serial Abuser of Power: The Evidence Compiled | The Tyee

Kev
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #256
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Honestly, my vote would go to whomever had the strongest stance on combating foreign investment and levelling the playing field (real estate-wise) for Canadian citizens. As well as taking a tougher stance on immigration fraud, PR residency requirements, and in general creating tougher borders.

Call it small-minded but I'm able to pay for school without taking on debt and/or borrowing from the bank of Mom & Dad, I am studying and doing a co-op in a field that is 90% likely to get me a good job after graduation, and the only real "struggle" I think I will face is buying a house in today's inflated market.

But it's hard to choose as they all seem pretty wishy-washy with their "promises" and policies. Harper says if he is re-elected, he will look into whether Canadians are being held at a disadvantage in the real estate market. My question is, why didn't he do this for the last 7 years....? If he started taking a firm stance on foreign investment back in 2006, a lot of the problems we face in Vancouver, Toronto, et al., would be nonexistent. Then there's the matter of the immigrant investor program, which to me was a huge fucking joke...
That's what I was hoping for as well, but it doesn't seem like any of the parties are really going to put much effort into this issue.
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #257
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
This link, so far, is the most comprehensive list of Conservative party abuses while in power. It's a long read, but worth reviewing prior to voting to determine if these actions are acceptable to you or not:

Harper, Serial Abuser of Power: The Evidence Compiled | The Tyee

Kev
Just a disclaimer that any party that is in power will abuse power to some extent

We gotta choose the lesser of evils when it comes to politicians

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #258
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Not going to happen. As much as I love to see it happen. Like some countries foreign foreign investors can only buy real estate in certain area or they can't own at all so local is still able to afford a place. But we won't coz our gov like selling Canada away. Soon we will change to Canada repulic of China.......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #259
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
not sure if this has been posted here before (not gonna bother searching)

I found this quite useful and interesting.

https://votecompass.cbc.ca/
Vansterdam is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #260

Just like the last election cons are in hiding again. A number of con candidates have missed debates because harper knows if they speak they will put there foot in there mouth.

and this:

Star Tory candidate denies fear mongering in B.C. flyer controversy - The Globe and Mail

I wonder how many people in Surrey have died by the hands of ISIS vs the number shot in drug wars.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #261
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Granted it's a stupid flyer, but the drug war shootings have not really taken place in South Surrey- White Rock so both points are as irrelevant.

They just had that one incident where the cops shot a "suicidal" person outside the police station.

The yuppies and older fairly-affluent, mostly white residents in her riding are likely much more concerned about 'whacky muslim-extremist invaders' than drug dealers
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #262
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
did everyone already got something in the mail from elections canada?
I've always gotten it in the past and i haven't moved....although usually for municipal and possibly provincial...not sure about federal
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
did everyone already got something in the mail from elections canada?
I've always gotten it in the past and i haven't moved....although usually for municipal and possibly provincial...not sure about federal
Nothing yet but it's an extra long election.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #264
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Got my election card today.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #265
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

wife got hers today but I haven't received mine
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #266

harper has changed the law so there will be no election day black out. We will know who has won out east as it happens.

Also if you want to get rid of harper check out Vote Together
Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #267
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
got my election card ... they moved my voting location... instead of being at a school 2 blocks away its not at a school 10 blocks away..
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #268
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
got my election card ... they moved my voting location... instead of being at a school 2 blocks away its not at a school 10 blocks away..
So instead of driving 2 blocks, you are going to drive 10 blocks now?

(Honestly, I swear I've seen some of my neighbours do the driving 2 blocks thing... )
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #269
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
harper has changed the law so there will be no election day black out. We will know who has won out east as it happens.

Also if you want to get rid of harper check out Vote Together
FINALLY no blackout. so retarded in this day and age that we had the blackout for so long.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #270
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Definitely won't vote for Harper. He closed the coast guard base in Kits and zero fucks were given in the face of BC voters. Not sure about NDP. But if I vote Liberal, that means I have to vote for that useless bum Hedy Fry. We are better off voting for sideshow bob.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #271
I subscribe to Revscene

Harpers the Queens jester.
Is Harper really the bad guy here when every political thing in this country is fixed? Sheeple on.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #272
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Definitely won't vote for Harper. He closed the coast guard base in Kits and zero fucks were given in the face of BC voters. Not sure about NDP. But if I vote Liberal, that means I have to vote for that useless bum Hedy Fry. We are better off voting for sideshow bob.
Hedy Fry... good gods, I forgot about her. I won a government award back in 2001 for a stop-motion anti-racism film. Because she was the Secretary of State of Multiculturalism at the time, she was among those who presented it. Even up on stage, you could just see her oozing her useless charm. This was also shortly before she said crosses were being burnt in Prince George by the KKK (never happened).
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #273
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I so wish we were able to vote for the person in our riding and who we want for PM separately..
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #274
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
A little election music in case anyone is interested:

The full blurb can be found here:

Stealin' All My Dreams : BlueRodeo.com
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #275

I have a few questions for the local con but his 4 meet and greats are all during the day when people are working. Guess I am going to have to take some time off work to see him.