REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2024, 06:58 PM   #3851
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,236 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
im looking at a bmw x5 for the wife to replace her ULTRA RELIABLE RX350. yes im idiotic.

I want that sweet sweet b58
What year is the RX? I could use an SUV.
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:24 PM   #3852
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,014 Times in 3,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
tbh I feel like it's a commodity engine - really fucking fast and reliable but not thatttt special. A Grand Cherokee with ZF8 and Hemi feels special the moment u start it up
What about the moment it breaks down?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 07:34 PM   #3853
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,268 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What about the moment it breaks down?
The new WL GC that's a ground up Chrysler design is a total nightmare.

But the last gen WK that's on the Mercedes ML platform? Reliability wise I'd take it over every German and Japanese midsizer (except for the Toyota/Lexus lineup).

Most people don't realize the GC's pretty simple and reliable. 5.7/6.4 Hemi been around 20 years, ZF8 is no different from the 10 other brands using it, just avoid the air suspension.

Compare to MDX that didn't get a solid transmission until 2022 (5/6/9 speeds all bad) and now the J series are blowing bearings.

Life's really too short to drive something boring, especially when they can still be very problematic.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 01-30-2024 at 07:42 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:13 PM   #3854
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 9,144 Times in 3,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
What year is the RX? I could use an SUV.
2018. 80,000kms on it. im like what the fuck, youre a housewife, how did you put 80,000kms on it? My camry's only got 110,000kms and its from 2010.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:55 PM   #3855
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,914 Times in 5,295 Posts
Time to put air tags on HER ride
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:55 PM   #3856
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,784 Times in 930 Posts
Tell her b58 is for poor people. Go broke with v8 since I don't think BMW makes v12 any more

Quote:
im looking at a bmw x5 for the wife to replace her ULTRA RELIABLE RX350. yes im idiotic.

JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:10 PM   #3857
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

The X5 45e / 50e is an interesting option that pairs the B58 with some electric range.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/x5/n...x=-2&modalXS=1

Last edited by radeonboy; 01-30-2024 at 10:15 PM.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 10:38 PM   #3858

Holy shit watching the car care nut video. And it sounds like a fucking Audi, everything is engine out, timing chain in the back?!, fuel pump under the intake manifold?!
Old 01-31-2024, 03:10 AM   #3859

It’s funny I was just in the dealer to fix her old bmw 128. The Window actuator finally came in. I ordered the part back in Dec. costs 860 bucks and this is the 3rd time we replaced it.

There’s about another 3 grand worth of minor things on the car that I haven’t addressed yet.

Bump stop on the strut is broken. Will need replacing.
Front sway bar bushings are bad
Oil leak from the plastic oil filter housing
New tires
Brakes are at the minimum on the rear

All for a car that has only 74,000km.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:48 AM   #3860
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,830 Times in 4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Time to put air tags on HER ride
Location update: 68style's condo
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 08:54 AM   #3861

Quote:
The new WL GC that's a ground up Chrysler design is a total nightmare.

But the last gen WK that's on the Mercedes ML platform? Reliability wise I'd take it over every German and Japanese midsizer (except for the Toyota/Lexus lineup).

Most people don't realize the GC's pretty simple and reliable. 5.7/6.4 Hemi been around 20 years, ZF8 is no different from the 10 other brands using it, just avoid the air suspension.

Compare to MDX that didn't get a solid transmission until 2022 (5/6/9 speeds all bad) and now the J series are blowing bearings.

Life's really too short to drive something boring, especially when they can still be very problematic.
I'd say the exact opposite, in my experience owning one a WK is overcomplicated, unreliable, badly designed and badly made. The Merc diesel was great but everything around it was junk. The electronics will crap out with zero warning. It was towed home more than every other vehicle I've owned combined lol. If you're looking at the 5.7s the later ones are supposed to be okay but the early ones tend to grenade suddenly.

My friend has a WK2 SRT and the finish quality is a little better but the build quality still isn't very good. It sounds good but it's had quite a few problems already. Among other things they made it with the wrong size dipstick so it was being underfilled on oil.

I haven't dealt with any other brands but if they're all so bad that a GC seems good just buy a Toyota/Lexus and call it a day.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 01-31-2024, 09:31 AM   #3862
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,268 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'd say the exact opposite, in my experience owning one a WK is overcomplicated, unreliable, badly designed and badly made. The Merc diesel was great but everything around it was junk. The electronics will crap out with zero warning. It was towed home more than every other vehicle I've owned combined lol. If you're looking at the 5.7s the later ones are supposed to be okay but the early ones tend to grenade suddenly.

My friend has a WK2 SRT and the finish quality is a little better but the build quality still isn't very good. It sounds good but it's had quite a few problems already. Among other things they made it with the wrong size dipstick so it was being underfilled on oil.

I haven't dealt with any other brands but if they're all so bad that a GC seems good just buy a Toyota/Lexus and call it a day.
Yeah - just noticed the many Jeeps in your bio - were ya in a WK1 or 2? My experiences so far have been with WK2.

I've heard about the 5.7 and it's undersized oil/water pumps and header bolt issues. Early 3.6 is supposed to be bad as well right? 2019+ is when they gave all the 5.7/6.4 Hellcat oil pumps ...I wouldn't buy a used one earlier than that.

Most issues I've heard have to do with wheel bearings/front suspension which isn't uncommon for SUVs of this weight (even Crosstreks get hit by this) and random electrical (earlier WK1 TIPMs were really really bad. later model radar cruise sounds troublesome).

But TBH all the alternatives don't feel that great to me: X5s with xDrive transfer case/N55 bearing/ZF6 issues/N62 everything or a later model with the B58 that feels boring (I've put 3k kms on a X6 40i), ML/GLE where the high performance engine stretches head bolts or timing chains, MDX blows engines and transmissions, Subaru's blow CVTs/bad infotainment/have pathetic engines, and the Q7 while kinda ok with the 3.0T/ZF8 also has electrical issues .... a late model WK2 feels like a reasonable compromise of fun, modern, and not catastrophically unreliable.

IMO too many compromises with the Toyota/Lexus models; none of them drive particularly responsively and are often both ancient and very poorly packaged space wise. New RX I swear got a lot smaller and still doesn't drive that well. Electronic door handles don't even work when it's snowy/icy outside.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 01-31-2024 at 10:28 AM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:18 AM   #3863
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,788 Posts
Quote:
2018. 80,000kms on it. im like what the fuck, youre a housewife, how did you put 80,000kms on it? My camry's only got 110,000kms and its from 2010.
My place here in Burnaby is a pretty far drive for her.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:28 AM   #3864

Cayenne?
Old 01-31-2024, 02:29 PM   #3865

Thanked 4,614 Times in 1,543 Posts
Quote:
It’s funny I was just in the dealer to fix her old bmw 128. The Window actuator finally came in. I ordered the part back in Dec. costs 860 bucks and this is the 3rd time we replaced it.
Genuine BMW - $169 USD from FCP Euro. Buy once, cry once. Lifetime warranty.

Per BMW Canada, $400 CAD for 51337165595. Could have replaced it 5x already with FCP.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 02:34 PM   #3866

yeah but the labor to rip out that piece of shit is annoying. I was gonna do it myself but then i got super lazy and i dislike working on BMW trim pieces. They always seem super brittle and will break into a million plastic pieces with my heavy handedness
Old 01-31-2024, 02:43 PM   #3867
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Go all the way for unreliability; get the buddy guy dream car, land rover range rover.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 02:49 PM   #3868

Quote:
Yeah - just noticed the many Jeeps in your bio - were ya in a WK1 or 2? My experiences so far have been with WK2.
Ah yeah I had a WK1. I have no idea why they named the next gen the WK2 when they share absolutely nothing lol.

Quote:
I've heard about the 5.7 and it's undersized oil/water pumps and header bolt issues. Early 3.6 is supposed to be bad as well right? 2019+ is when they gave all the 5.7/6.4 Hellcat oil pumps ...I wouldn't buy a used one earlier than that.
For the WK1 iirc the issue with the 5.7 was dropping valve seats like the WJ's 4.7. The 3.7 is supposed to be decent but gutless and only on pleb spec ones, 4.7 had issues with small oil passages. Diesel 3.0 is mostly solid but absolutely nobody will work on it since it's a Merc engine in a Jeep. A 2019 might be alright but the trim is already falling to pieces in my buddies SRT.

Quote:
Most issues I've heard have to do with wheel bearings/front suspension which isn't uncommon for SUVs of this weight (even Crosstreks get hit by this) and random electrical (earlier WK1 TIPMs were really really bad. later model radar cruise sounds troublesome).
Suspension was weak on the WK1 as well. Mine had sagged an inch in the front which is pretty extreme. The front wheel bearings were dying for at least 30k before they made really bad noises so they're kinda shit but at least you have time to do something about it lol. Material and build quality was pretty poor for a supposedly "luxury" vehicle. My wifes Rav4 from the same year is very noticeably better in that regard.

Quote:
But TBH all the alternatives don't feel that great to me: X5s with xDrive transfer case/N55 bearing/ZF6 issues/N62 everything or a later model with the B58 that feels boring (I've put 3k kms on a X6 40i), ML/GLE where the high performance engine stretches head bolts or timing chains, MDX blows engines and transmissions, Subaru's blow CVTs/bad infotainment/have pathetic engines, and the Q7 while kinda ok with the 3.0T/ZF8 also has electrical issues .... a late model WK2 feels like a reasonable compromise of fun, modern, and not catastrophically unreliable.

IMO too many compromises with the Toyota/Lexus models; none of them drive particularly responsively and are often both ancient and very poorly packaged space wise. New RX I swear got a lot smaller and still doesn't drive that well. Electronic door handles don't even work when it's snowy/icy outside.
Depends on your priorities I guess. To me no SUV will ever feel very responsive compared to what I'm used to so I just want something that can reliably haul a family around vaguely comfortably. The WK failed miserably on the reliability front so it had to go. It sounds like the alternatives are just as bad or worse though lol.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-31-2024, 04:38 PM   #3869

Thanked 4,614 Times in 1,543 Posts
Quote:
yeah but the labor to rip out that piece of shit is annoying. I was gonna do it myself but then i got super lazy and i dislike working on BMW trim pieces. They always seem super brittle and will break into a million plastic pieces with my heavy handedness
You can just give them a part to install. It's genuine BMW. They just won't warranty the part. I think when its all through the dealer, they give you X years of warranty on parts (and labour)?

I did it myself on the E46. Would not reccomend. I got through a 6-pack and gave up lmao
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 05:13 PM   #3870

Yeah even the tech I talked to said it was a bitch. Says that door trim requires like a dude to hold it, and a dude to unplug all the connectors. Without the extra help you can easily damage the connectors and the waterproofing
Old 01-31-2024, 06:41 PM   #3871
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,830 Times in 4,430 Posts
Sounds like a fun time for you masochists.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:08 PM   #3872
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,236 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
it a lease or something? let me have a crack at it and give me the details so the dealership doesn't get their filthy hands on it......a forgotten hermes stashed under the seats will be better off with me than the dealer anyways.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2024, 04:11 AM   #3873

Nah not a lease. Im having a hard time trying to convince her to get rid of it.

Me: I wanna buy you a x5. You can go back to driving a bmw
Her: didn’t you just spend 10h adding Apple CarPlay and other shit to my RX ?
Me: hey shut up! So anyways the new X5 has that b58 engine and uhhh screens.
Her: so ?
Me: you drive a lot don’t you want a newer car ?
Her: no
Me: hey shut up, let’s go test drive x5 tomorrow or the GLS / Range Rover for lawls
Her: do you even work anymore ?
Old 02-01-2024, 05:47 AM   #3874
RabidMod

Thanked 1,173 Times in 433 Posts
Why fix what ain't broke! She got a point
Old 02-01-2024, 07:33 AM   #3875
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,914 Times in 5,295 Posts
Here's where you went wrong:

The percentage of females who care what engine is in a car = approximately the same percentage of chance you have of being asked for directions by exchange students.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: