REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #4026
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,130 Times in 984 Posts
These companies are “decreasing” EV production to focus on other projects like hybrid, hydrogen, diesel, ect because they're losing money due to shitty sales numbers and they know they cant keep up with the competitive pricing and tech of the big dog.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #4027
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,934 Posts
Responding to the market.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:06 PM   #4028
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,485 Posts
One of the Diesel brothers has bought the rights to the Nikola Badger pickup truck, ATV's and jet ski's. The former CEO's has been sentenced to 4 years in jail but is out on appeal. The company just won't die.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:23 AM   #4029
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,491 Posts
I just started seeing this guy a few weeks ago on the Cletus channel. What’s his deal? Self made YouTube star or what? Crazy
Old 02-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #4030
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I just started seeing this guy a few weeks ago on the Cletus channel. What’s his deal? Self made YouTube star or what? Crazy
He and his buddies had a show on discovery called Diesel Brothers for 8 years. They build brodozers. They got sued for building trucks that rolled coal..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Brothers#Lawsuit

Spoiler!

Old 02-19-2024, 08:19 PM   #4031
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,186 Posts
Went away for the long weekend to Vernon and ended up cramming into my friend's Model 3 RWD after I discovered a nail in my tire.

The charging speed was honestly quite impressive, this was a LiFePo model iirc and even with the supposed lower charging rate in the cold it was still pretty quick at the Hope and Merritt Superchargers. It did lose more charge quicker when it was -16c out vs when it was -5c out but that's a well known problem I guess. There was a charger at the destination so that kept the car topped up overnight.

The seats were not super comfortable for long road trips. The seating position/shape is a bit odd for me I guess and I developed some aches and pains sitting both in the front and the rear due to contour/headrest shape. Seatbelt mount is a bit high - kept on riding up to my neck and I had to trap it under my outboard arm to stop it from doing that and feel comfortable.

Regular autopilot kept on getting confused by stopped/slow trucks in the right lane, and braked hard. Very jarring. Also very sensitive to any sort of steering torque input, it would disengage the lane keep very easily.

Other than the seat shape and autopilot braking confusion, not bad.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2024, 06:21 AM   #4032
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,221 Posts
^would you buy one?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2024, 07:03 AM   #4033

No, since I don’t find the seats comfortable. Otherwise it’s a maybe. Still have issues with parts of the car, the UI/UX and other bits of potential trouble down the road.
fml
Old 02-20-2024, 10:23 AM   #4034
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^The Model Y has the same seats and is a bit more comfortable due to its higher mounting position compared to the 3.

It's more roomy and comfortable than the EX30 seats in the brief moment I was inside the Volvo (IIRC you were looking at one of those)
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2024, 10:33 AM   #4035
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,451 Times in 5,698 Posts
lol @ stopping in merrit and hope to get to Vernon

That’s a full stop for me. Get me to Kelowna from the lower mainland on one charge without spending 100k and I’ll consider it
Old 02-20-2024, 10:55 AM   #4036
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,519 Posts
can you just put some gel ass cushion in the back for passengers?

or is that a no-go b/c newer versions have heated/cooled back seats?

maybe it's been so long since i've been a passenger in the back, but i don't recall any back seats being too comfortable tbh...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:14 AM   #4037
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,335 Times in 2,529 Posts
It's been a few years since I have driven to the Okanagan, but I don't remember a single time when I drove from home (in Vancouver) to my Okanagan destination without breaks in between. In particular, I'd probably do at least 1 gas stop in Mission / Abbotsford / Chilliwack, and likely another one when I get to Osoyoos (if I'm going to Oliver) or Merrit / Kamloops (if I'm going to Kelowna).

If you have an iron butt so to speak, good for you. But personally, I don't see anything wrong with taking L3 charging breaks in a road trip as long as the damn chargers work (and are available). It's just a different spin to the traditional road trip breaks, although it kind forces you to stay on the major routes in the foreseeable future.

For the most part, the Tesla charging network seems to be very good along major (hwy) routes, and that is a major appeal to buying Teslas. Non NACS EVs, on the other hand, are still falling short. And IMO, (non NACS EV) owners are asking for trouble and/or significant delays in their road trips if they go on road trips in their EVs.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 AM   #4038
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,714 Times in 5,221 Posts
The panic braking on the highway is something else... RIP for anyone following too close behind you... was riding in my friend's in Calgary last weekend and some car drifted its wheels like 1cm over the line in the lane next to us and the auto-pilot SLAMMED the brakes on... everyone's head flying forward and me and my gf are like what the fuck??? and he's like "Oh yah it's just like that, overreacts to everything it's normal don't worry about it"... uh yah ok???? Normal hey? Any human driver would just slow down a bit or honk or change lanes or be like that guy's stupid and continue on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
It's been a few years since I have driven to the Okanagan, but I don't remember a single time when I drove from home (in Vancouver) to my Okanagan destination without breaks in between. In particular, I'd probably do at least 1 gas stop in Mission / Abbotsford / Chilliwack, and likely another one when I get to Osoyoos (if I'm going to Oliver) or Merrit / Kamloops (if I'm going to Kelowna).

If you have an iron butt so to speak, good for you. But personally, I don't see anything wrong with taking L3 charging breaks in a road trip as long as the damn chargers work (and are available). It's just a different spin to the traditional road trip breaks, although it kind forces you to stay on the major routes in the foreseeable future.

For the most part, the Tesla charging network seems to be very good along major (hwy) routes, and that is a major appeal to buying Teslas. Non NACS EVs, on the other hand, are still falling short. And IMO, (non NACS EV) owners are asking for trouble and/or significant delays in their road trips if they go on road trips in their EVs.

It's only a 5 hour drive man! Why you gotta stop 2-3 times? Maybe 1 stop for lunch depending when you leave...

Shit I do 15 hours to San Fran sometimes straight through, yes there are 5-10 minute gas stops a couple of times and take a piss or a drive through but that's about it. Having to wait around for 45+ minutes is a deal breaker for me.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #4039
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,221 Posts
i also did a straight shot from sf to vancouver in the sc430 last year. Only stopped for gas and i left SF at 1100am. Got back to vancouver at 230am. Helluva fun drive. Just enjoyed the scenery, listened to some podcast, and floated by.

Id probably be able to that in an EV but i think i would have needed 3-4 stops and wouldnt have been able to make it in 1 day.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:54 AM   #4040
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,059 Posts
Quote:

I typically straight shoot 3-4hrs at a time. No point stopping if you don't have to, all the cars you've spent so much effort on overtaking would just pass you now.

We came back from Bellevue yesterday straight shot until the border when we filled up.

That's the thing for me with an EV, even with a L3 it's still at least 20-30min stop IF there's a charging spot available that's not broken (the throttle house guys took something like 5 tries to find a charger that worked). A gas stop is 5 mins, 10 tops if I buy a snack. The time adds up so a 5 hour drive is all of a sudden 6 hours.

This just goes back to PHEV being the best compromise for me. Yes it doesn't get nearly as good mileage as a regular hybrid but we roadtrip like 3 times a year. Now if the X5 edrive would just come down in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
can you just put some gel ass cushion in the back for passengers?

or is that a no-go b/c newer versions have heated/cooled back seats?

maybe it's been so long since i've been a passenger in the back, but i don't recall any back seats being too comfortable tbh...
If I'm dropping 60k on a new car I'd expect the seats to work for me, otherwise I am buying something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The panic braking on the highway is something else... RIP for anyone following too close behind you... was riding in my friend's in Calgary last weekend and some car drifted its wheels like 1cm over the line in the lane next to us and the auto-pilot SLAMMED the brakes on... everyone's head flying forward and me and my gf are like what the fuck??? and he's like "Oh yah it's just like that, overreacts to everything it's normal don't worry about it"... uh yah ok???? Normal hey? Any human driver would just slow down a bit or honk or change lanes or be like that guy's stupid and continue on.

It's only a 5 hour drive man! Why you gotta stop 2-3 times? Maybe 1 stop for lunch depending when you leave...

Shit I do 15 hours to San Fran sometimes straight through, yes there are 5-10 minute gas stops a couple of times and take a piss or a drive through but that's about it. Having to wait around for 45+ minutes is a deal breaker for me.
The emergency braking is there to apply the shortest braking distance in order to avoid a collision. I would think if it's a chain of cars that have that system in place most of them will be able to detect and stop in time until maybe 10 or so cars back when the delay adds up and finally it crunches.

The system in our X3 is also violent, and so are Hondas. We were following a new FL Civic on I5 north, the Civic switched lanes to the right and was preparing to get off. I think the driver let off the brake as the line came to a stop and we saw the Civic violently threw on the anchors and the driver jerked hard forward. Wife commented on why the Civic stopped so hard, it did not look comfortable. But yeah it's better to hitting the truck in front of it though.

And yes, no EV for us unless the deal is just too good to pass up. The Tesla Y is getting close, but not quite there yet. If the Y LR AWD comes down to below 50k out the door then I think the trade off may be worth it.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:42 PM   #4041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
lol @ stopping in merrit and hope to get to Vernon

That’s a full stop for me. Get me to Kelowna from the lower mainland on one charge without spending 100k and I’ll consider it
We were planning on taking the Audi wagon because more space + roof racks for snowboards, but found a nail in an unpatchable area in the driver rear tire.

Long weekend Friday at 4PM, fuck it we'll take his car. He was also being conservative due to cold + first time road tripping the Tesla. In the summer it likely could've made it in one stop.

Quote:

The Tesla charging network is truly impressive I have to say. And yeah, in the gas car we would have stopped at least once anyway for pee break + gas top up etc.

Quote:
Yeah that part of it basically made the ACC a bit annoying to use. Fucking Tesla Vision.

Quote:

When you travel with SOs or people with less of an iron bladder it's gonna be a stop after 2-3 hours anyways. I don't mind.

Btw the charging was very quick, we regained ~200km of range in about 15 mins. So the stops were more like 15-20 mins, we didn't charge past 80% because the charging curve slows down apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
That's the thing for me with an EV, even with a L3 it's still at least 20-30min stop IF there's a charging spot available that's not broken (the throttle house guys took something like 5 tries to find a charger that worked). A gas stop is 5 mins, 10 tops if I buy a snack. The time adds up so a 5 hour drive is all of a sudden 6 hours.
It took roughly 5h 30m to get down from Vernon, with a 20 min charging stop in Merritt. Going downhill was a lot better on battery, as well as the weather warming up.

Quote:
If I'm dropping 60k on a new car I'd expect the seats to work for me, otherwise I am buying something else.

The emergency braking is there to apply the shortest braking distance in order to avoid a collision. I would think if it's a chain of cars that have that system in place most of them will be able to detect and stop in time until maybe 10 or so cars back when the delay adds up and finally it crunches.

The system in our X3 is also violent, and so are Hondas. We were following a new FL Civic on I5 north, the Civic switched lanes to the right and was preparing to get off. I think the driver let off the brake as the line came to a stop and we saw the Civic violently threw on the anchors and the driver jerked hard forward. Wife commented on why the Civic stopped so hard, it did not look comfortable. But yeah it's better to hitting the truck in front of it though.

And yes, no EV for us unless the deal is just too good to pass up. The Tesla Y is getting close, but not quite there yet. If the Y LR AWD comes down to below 50k out the door then I think the trade off may be worth it.
Yeah the seats are the biggest deal breaker to me. If I can't comfy in them I don't think there's any point in buying the car as you would hate it.

Case in point the M Sport seats. I really don't like them. Otherwise I'd probably be in a M340i or X3 M40i.
fml
Old 02-20-2024, 12:42 PM   #4042
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,833 Times in 986 Posts
If you do a 2h+ road trip twice a month or more, just don't buy an EV.. it's not the right car for the job. But for daily usage/commutes, i find a tesla hard to beat.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:21 PM   #4043

Thanked 3,130 Times in 984 Posts
For road trips get a long range roastpuff was riding in a rwd “standard range”.

Last edited by tegra7; 02-20-2024 at 03:05 PM.
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:10 PM   #4044
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,866 Times in 1,789 Posts
Quote:

No doubt, 12-13 hours straight shot with just small stops for bio,gas, and a quick bite is also the norm for us.

Our house to Muchalat Lake, ~5 hours, we stop once for gas in Campbell River.
(Driving an EV truck pulling my trailer that'd probably be a 8-9 hour drive with the charging stops, no fucking thank you).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:32 PM   #4045
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
If you do a 2h+ road trip twice a month or more, just don't buy an EV.. it's not the right car for the job. But for daily usage/commutes, i find a tesla hard to beat.
That's a pretty expensive grocery getter.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:55 PM   #4046

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
For road trips get a long range roastpuff was riding in a rwd “standard range”.
Yeah, a LR would be preferred for sure. We didn't have much choice due to the tire situation on the Audi, and didn't want to lose a day of skiing/snowboarding.

EDIT: Said tire situation
fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 02-20-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:26 PM   #4047
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
The only problem with Tesla on road trips is having to limit your destinations to places along major highways.

Not a problem for... I'd say 99.999% of the general population.

But if you travel frequently to middle of nowhere places for outdoor activities, those are the only people that I don't recommend EV at all.

For everyone else, I think EVs... or at least Tesla, you'd be fine. The charging network is super comprehensive along major routes. And at the speed that V3 superchargers can do (250kwh), the stop is minimal. You barely have time to plug it in, walk to the toilet and pee.

Once V4 reach its full potential (rated to reach 1mwh, well... 960kwh if you want to be precise) and there's enough availability, the whole discussion is over.

Yes, you need to make stops. But the charge would take no more than 5 minutes each time. But unless you are doing some cannonball run, you'd stop that much time with ICE too.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:42 PM   #4048

Thanked 2,102 Times in 568 Posts
I don't want to throw a curve ball... and it is a very niche problem....

If you have babies, kids or pets in the car... then the 1 stop every 2 hours becomes more of a mandatory event than an optional hassle because you have to charge up...

Having said that.... yea... no way the Model 3 is going anywhere beyond Whistler/Harrison Hot Springs... anything beyond that will be in the Prius Prime lol...

Whistler is like the perfect distance, just under 300KM round trip...I remember driving like a douche and came home at around 15%.... my wife took the kids to Squamish and came back with 60% and I was like... how....lololol

I have yet to use a super charger.... but I only heard good things....

One thing about the basic autopilot (which is what I have, the free basic one that came with the car)... is that once you are on the hwy.. change the following distance from the defualt "2" to "5" or "6", it eliminates the hard braking altogether. Have used this system multiple times going to abbotsford/mission/chilliwack/whistler... works like a charm even in stop and go traffic (yes, people will cut you off, but I am chatting with the kids anyways and I am not racing to get home, meh...)

It's no worse than the Prius adapative cruise control with the added benefit of "auto-steer" more or less auto-centering in your lane....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2024, 09:49 AM   #4049
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,714 Times in 5,221 Posts

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0urM...NndTBpM21qcjls
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:30 PM   #4050
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,513 Times in 1,168 Posts
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/20...nadian-pricing

I don't get it

Starting price CX70 PHEV is more expensive than the CX90 PHEV

EDIT:

I haven't looked at the spec sheet, but the dollar figure alone was a surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote