REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,632 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I hate the god damn cyclists already when I'm doing the #20. Now they want to have more of them on there? Good luck to whoever is stuck with the #20 once this goes into effect because I know that I'm not going to be stuck with that shitshow!
Instead of kissing the center lane, gonna kiss the bike lane if I'm driving an articulated bus down Commercial Drive.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,030 Posts
Good to see that understandably, the Commercial Drive business community is pissed about the bike lane arrangements.

Commercial Drive business group angry with city hall over bike lane consultation process - NEWS 1130

Quote:
Pogor says there is concern about parking and accessibility.

“Our membership… could potentially see a very negative effect.”

He believes nearly 750 business and property owners along Commercial Drive have been failed by city hall, calling it disturbing to see the process go ahead with little input.
With all these business owners upset over the bike lanes arrangement, I wonder if the plan will still go through? Additionally, as the business owners are saying, there are already parallel bike routes running on both sides of the Drive. It makes little sense to force another bike route down Commercial Drive itself.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
There is no parking around Commercial drive, no lots and residential parking only.. I have no clue where they thought bikes lane were appropriate. I dont see why they dont just create residential bike routes in the neighbourhoods instead of the main roads. I mean you dont need a physical lane, just direct the bike traffic one block east or west of the main roadways.
In fact its typically faster to ride/drive a side road vs. main roads. Hell when I ride my Grom, I take Adanac(residential bike router) all the way from N.BBY to Downtown(Venables/Georgia Viaduct) and get there within 10-15 minutes during rush hour.

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
i like gifs

Thanked 6,737 Times in 2,290 Posts
The issue is that they didn't think at all. It's another case of Gregor just throwing shit against a wall and then pushing it through.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I dont see why they dont just create residential bike routes in the neighbourhoods instead of the main roads. I mean you dont need a physical lane, just direct the bike traffic one block east or west of the main roadways.
There are already 2 bike routes parallel to Commercial. Woodland Dr. is 2 blocks west of Commercial, and Lakewood Dr is 3 blocks east of Commercial.

Yeah, Mr. Bike Boy. We really need THREE fxxking bike lanes in that vicinity.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
WOAH...shut the music off...

Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
waiting for the #1 to have it's own bike lane

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #32
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
waiting for the #1 to have it's own bike lane
Waiting to have all roads, streets, aves, highways to have bike lanes on them. Yes even every single one will need a bike lane.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #33

EVERYBODY GETS ONE!

Quote:
Greenstoner
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #34
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,527 Posts
logic? actual city planning? common sense?
City Hall does not dabble in all that non-sense.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

More bike lanes on 10th ave between Oak and Cambie, and changing it to a one-way street. The traffic around VGH is bad enough as is, soon it will get worse!

http://www.news1130.com/2017/05/17/v...s-outside-vgh/

Quote:
Vancouver city councillors have approved a plan to install protected bike lanes on 10th Avenue, part of a drive to ease congestion in the health precinct between Oak and Cambie street. Construction is scheduled for this fall and winter.

The proposal had come under fire, as some councillors said converting the busy, but narrow, route to a one-way street for westbound vehicles, to make room for raised bike lanes on either side, “prioritizes the bikes over everything else.”

Councillors opposed to the motion argued it gave too much consideration to commuting cyclists in an area where the primary goal should be access to Vancouver General Hospital and nearby health institutions. The corridor also needs to accommodate ambulances, taxis, HandyDarts and pedestrians.

Some believed the bike lanes would simply lead to more congestion.

Non-Partisan Association Councillor Elizabeth Ball argued in November that “the addition of a dedicated bicycle route would increase traffic along this route and therefore increase the risk for collisions with pedestrians, especially those who are disoriented or mobility-impaired.”

Supporters of the plan, approved Wednesday by a 8-2 margin, argued the changes were not simply for cyclists, but “the best possible for all of the users and perfect for none,” according to councillor Heather Deal.

City staff, according to their report, refined their initial design after consulting Vancouver Coastal Health and Vancouver General Hospital, among other health providers. The changes also took into account concerns raised by the city’s seniors’ advisory committee, persons with disabilities advisory committee and active transportation policy council.

The 10th Avenue corridor has become very crowded in recent years. In addition to the developing health precinct, which councillors suggested was becoming more of a “health campus,” Vancouver’s growing cycling community tends to prefer 10th Avenue over bike lanes on 7th and 14th Avenue for getting across town. It has fewer hills, as Mayor Gregor Robertson, an avid cyclist, noted during the debate.

10th Avenue has become the second busiest local street for cyclists in the city, according to the report. As a result of this and other growth in the area, “over recent years, the experience for all users of 10th Avenue has declined as the street has gotten busier with more people walking, cycling, and driving in the area.”

As part of the plan, the city intends to make improvements to cycling routes on 14th and 7th avenues “to allow people reasonable alternatives to more easily bypass the health precinct.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
I had a buddy riding a Grom DT one day.. A cop was following him, honked at him and told him to ride in the bike lane. He was a little confused as to why he was told that, so he did and rode the bike lane. Later he found out his license place rattled off and was missing. Cop thought he was on a ebike.. LOL

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,527 Posts
Always amazing how fast they decide and start construction when it comes to bike lanes.

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #38
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Fuck this Robertson idiot. Why is he and his cycling douchebags still in power? what he needs is a stinking demonstration at city hall to force his stupid fucking ass to step down.. fuck this motherfucker!!!!

All the fucking taxes paid by my parents and wife's parents all go towards empty bike lanes and the worst road conditions of all the cities. Richmond roads are heavenly compared to vancouvers pothole ridden bullshit.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #39
linguistic ninja

Thanked 1,087 Times in 359 Posts
How is he still in power? People don't fucking vote. 44% turnout in 2014. A dismal 34% in 2011. The ones that do show up to vote love bike lanes and other hippy dippy shit, keep voting him in over and over again.

Don't forget the next municipal election is in 2018, but then I've lost faith in the electorate.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,665 Times in 1,010 Posts
Quote:
The 10th Avenue corridor has become very crowded in recent years. In addition to the developing health precinct, which councillors suggested was becoming more of a “health campus,” Vancouver’s growing cycling community tends to prefer 10th Avenue over bike lanes on 7th and 14th Avenue for getting across town. It has fewer hills, as Mayor Gregor Robertson, an avid cyclist, noted during the debate.
What the fuck. Don't ride a bike if you don't want to pedal up hills, fuck.

Sorry guy, your grandpa died en-route to Hospital because the cyclists didn't want to pedal up a hill. Fuck.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #41
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

What! No bike lane on Hwy 1?!
Rallydrv is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #42
i like gifs

Thanked 6,737 Times in 2,290 Posts
The bike corridor along 10th avenue is a major east/west path and one of the longest running ones we have. It starts from Victoria/10th (Kensington-Cedar College) and goes all the way to Trafalgar/10th (Arbutus Ridge). If there's a bike path that needs a bike lane then it'd be that route.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

cycling community tends to prefer 10th Avenue over bike lanes on 7th and 14th Avenue for getting across town. It has fewer hills, as Mayor Gregor Robertson, an avid cyclist, noted during the debate.

Then why did bike lanes go in on 7th and 14th ave to begin with?
2008 Mercedes C300 - Current (Wifey's now)
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4- Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #44
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,211 Times in 243 Posts
^ Hopefully they were thinking "If they want their bike lanes, we'll give them their bike lanes. Which routes has the most hills?"

But it's most likely because they considered the fact that 10th is a busy street so they took the next best option which was 7th and 14th.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
Then why did bike lanes go in on 7th and 14th ave to begin with?
cuz they be like:

seriously though ... was disappointed when LaPointe lost last election

Quote:
Greenstoner
Quote:

Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #46
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,632 Times in 754 Posts
So if mayor moon beam gets voted out, are the viaducts still coming down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #47

When I run for mayor, I'm gonna campaign on fxxking ripping out **ALL** the bike lanes and reinstate the Molson Indy Street Circuit for public use every goddamned day of the week.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #48
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
I'd vote for you Traum

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #49

Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts
Seriously ppl complain and shit, but when it comes to voting time they don't go and vote

Seriously fuck man, if u want change u have to go out and do something about.........u know like vote, u cant expect the mayor to go in to self reflection right

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When I run for mayor, I'm gonna campaign on fxxking ripping out **ALL** the bike lanes and reinstate the Molson Indy Street Circuit for public use every goddamned day of the week.

Do it!

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote