REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BREXIT - Results Thread!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709342-brexit-results-thread.html)

Iceman_2K 06-23-2016 10:59 PM

Yes! Pound is tanking! Making much on that lol.

Nlkko 06-23-2016 11:01 PM

US dollar and gold safe haven right now. So dont expect usdcad to drop any time soon.

HonestTea 06-23-2016 11:23 PM

Watching David Cameron speaking live and I think hes gone.

shawnly1000 06-23-2016 11:25 PM

BREAKING: David Cameron announces he is to resign as Prime Minister of Britain. Says he is 'proud' to have served his country.

HonestTea 06-23-2016 11:27 PM

Yep, he's gone.

Well I won my bet too now

threezero 06-23-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8766411)
Nah... it's just a movie with twisted end that no one likes. :badpokerface:

The referendum basically says that british choose to leave EU. But then it'd go through the 2yr negotiation period with the rest of EU members. You can bet that by the time we reach that point, everything would be normalized/accounted for.

I can't say the remaining EU members wouldn't be tempted to leave, but to be frank, only France and Germany would be able to sorta benefit from leaving EU as they are strong economically to make it work. However, both countries were the brain of EU establishment and they won't let it go easily.

Other EU members would be too scared/little interest to leave EU as they would go into recession/economic uncertainty if they do.

Tl;dr... relax... it's just some unexpected turbulence, the flight would continue as planned.

I really believe France and Germany is going to leave right not they are not gaining much staying in the Eu. All they are getting is poor migrant from other EU countries rushing into their border. Judging by world sentiment this along is compelling enough to just end the whole thing. Without France and Germany the whole EU should basically just disband and call it a day

StylinRed 06-24-2016 01:12 AM

Scotland is saying vote to leave UK in 30months, and there's Northern Ireland too

If those murmurings keep increasing, buying into the GBP may not be a good idea boys

Buying from your favourite online UK realtor tho :P

Buying Euros tho may be the better bet

StylinRed 06-24-2016 01:20 AM

Looks like the average Brits had no idea why they left either

SkinnyPupp 06-24-2016 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8766400)
T

So they chose national sovereignty before economic strength

First, I doubt that's why many [or any] of the rural and/or older voters were voting for. You should realise that people voting to leave care more about xenophobia than anything other issue.

Second, I'd argue that nationalism is the opposite of what the human species needs to do to evolve any further than we are, or were 100 years ago. Nationalism, religion, racism, any sort of ideology that makes you exclude people for being different, is going to keep us held back.

Not that it matters if the earth becomes uninhabitable in a century or so, I suppose :nyan:

underscore 06-24-2016 03:24 AM

While I don't understand all the finer details, I do know I'll be saving some money by not bothering to get my UK citizenship and passport in a few years.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-24-2016 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8766456)
First, I doubt that's why many [or any] of the rural and/or older voters were voting for. You should realise that people voting to leave care more about xenophobia than anything other issue.

Second, I'd argue that nationalism is the opposite of what the human species needs to do to evolve any further than we are, or were 100 years ago. Nationalism, religion, racism, any sort of ideology that makes you exclude people for being different, is going to keep us held back.

Not that it matters if the earth becomes uninhabitable in a century or so, I suppose :nyan:

yeah but no system can include everyone either.

being inclusive of everyone isn't a sign of advancement either.

peace=/=advancement

a super advanced society can exist with super advanced violence.

extremism has its place. if you include everyone, you get this kinda "balanced" average of everything.

with extremism, you go in one direction, and you go further than you can ever imagine.

without extremism, you can never achieve and realise those advancements.

it's always a balance. it goes back and forth, with each wave we catch a little bit more and learn a little bit more.

if you stay in one mode forever, you die from imbalance.

things are fractal. the fact that we want our own property, our own home, our own place, separated from our neighbours and such, is just a smaller version of wanting to be sovereign.

as long as some form of whatever topic you choose exists at some level, it means it exists at all levels.

the fact is, the world isn't big enough to include everyone. there will never be constant peace, nor constant war. it will always fluctuate back and forth, forever.

4444 06-24-2016 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8766443)
I really believe France and Germany is going to leave right not they are not gaining much staying in the Eu. All they are getting is poor migrant from other EU countries rushing into their border. Judging by world sentiment this along is compelling enough to just end the whole thing. Without France and Germany the whole EU should basically just disband and call it a day

Germany not getting much from EU?

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

Germany has been massively taking in immigrants (this is not a discussion of the refugees) as they need the cheap labour.

Germany being in the EU, and more importantly the Euro currency, is a MASSIVE boon for them, they are the biggest producer of high value products in Europe and get to sell on a level currency playing field. More importantly, because the Euro is so relatively weak these days, it makes German exports more attractive than they would be if the DM were still around.

Being in a free market is amazing in Europe, inputs to production are steadily priced and more competitive. I'm British and was borderline exit as I believe in selective migration, but being in Europe, the economic free market is something we MUST retain.

Germany would be one of the last to leave, make no mistakes about that.

Non-bailed out periphery countries may start to look at exiting next. The rise in the right wing will drive this. Netherlands, France, Italy, Austria... there may be some rumblings coming.

My view is this - buy GB right now if you have a long term outlook. It may take well over 2 years to negotiate the exit, there will be a LOT of uncertainty, as such prices will be volatile (and generally low), BUY BUY BUY.

Long term, GB is a massive economy, Europe needs the GB economy, GB needs Europe - trade deals will be struck... easy movement of people will remain (may not be free, though).

In 10 years, one's return in buying GB will likely be high given you have taken on increased uncertainty and risk - this is the same story over and over again (GFC in 2008 the most recent).

Buy when others sell. Others are selling GB right now.

GBP now, GB stocks over next 2 years. GB real estate in 1-2 years. Plenty of opportunities for some aggressive risk taking and high long term gains (for those that can stomach the ups and downs).

Never count out the British (except in football, we will never win in football).

68style 06-24-2016 06:09 AM

Well done old chap! Buddy could be a used car salesman on Kingsway.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GMB/statu...18028195426305

Mr.Money 06-24-2016 06:48 AM

I'm waiting to see how many unemployed people race to the job centre, now that there will be less competition for the shitty jobs they claim the EU migrants were keeping them from!

jasonturbo 06-24-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8766467)
Germany being in the EU, and more importantly the Euro currency, is a MASSIVE boon for them, they are the biggest producer of high value products in Europe and get to sell on a level currency playing field. More importantly, because the Euro is so relatively weak these days, it makes German exports more attractive than they would be if the DM were still around.

Bingo, for this reason alone Germany benefits more from the EU than any other nation.

Unfortunately, this is also why smaller less economically developed countries like Greece and Portugal are falling to pieces, just as the currency made German exports much cheaper, they make Greek and Portuguese products and tourism much more expensive etc.

I do believe the EU offers an overall net benefit, however, some of the powers that be really need to re-evaluate how some countries benefit more than others and how the financial impact of the common currency is a major contributor to things like 30% unemployment - sure you can send the struggling countries a financial care package every quarter but it won't fix the structural issue they have created.

I think there is a very high probability that other EU nations will see similar referendums in the near future, it could be two years from now after the UK has ratified new trade agreements with the EU, but I doubt it will take that long.

adambomb 06-24-2016 07:08 AM

EU to UK...:gtfo:

Quote:

The EU’s top leaders have said they expect the UK to act on its momentous vote to leave the union “as soon as possible, however painful that process may be” and that there will be “no renegotiation”.

EU leaders call for UK to leave as soon as possible | Politics | The Guardian

Nlkko 06-24-2016 07:16 AM

You know I thought there would be worse reaction on the market but seems the cavalry stepped in and we are down barely fiddy points on S&P 500.

pastarocket 06-24-2016 07:17 AM

I think there will be some ripple effects of Brexit on the US economy as well because some US corporations do business in the UK.

Trump is already using the Brexit as a way to voice his prediction that Americans will vote for change against the establishment in November.

I guess he wasn't just visiting his Scottish golf courses after all. :troll:

Trump hails Brexit: 'They took back their country' - POLITICO

4444 06-24-2016 07:30 AM

what I see on facebook, threads like this:
most people know shit all about the global economy, how the EU works, how international trade works, etc.

I see people posting about "Polish workers having to leave the UK" - this is bullshit, if you are legally in the UK today, you can legally stay.

I am legally in the EU on a British passport, guess what, legally I cannot be touched, I will get a residence permit - big deal.

Uncertainty is what people didn't want - we don't know what will happen, but just know this:

it may end up being worse out economically
it may end up being better out economically
no matter what, it won't be an absolute disaster to any nation or economy on the whole.

Individuals may be hurt (I will be in a worse position because of this), but whatever, life goes on, brexit isn't that big of a deal unless you were planning on moving to UK from EU under the free movement of people. if you're skilled and in demand, UK work permit is easy to get.

Verdasco 06-24-2016 07:31 AM

its obvious that the brits dont want foreign immigrants to come in their borders no more

easy bet

its like asking if vancouver wants more Chinese :troll: Kappaf

6o4__boi 06-24-2016 07:40 AM

GLOW 06-24-2016 07:45 AM

i was waiting for 4444 to post his thoughts on the situation, was not disappointed.

Mr.Money 06-24-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8766485)
what I see on facebook, threads like this:
most people know shit all about the global economy, how the EU works, how international trade works, etc.

I see people posting about "Polish workers having to leave the UK" - this is bullshit, if you are legally in the UK today, you can legally stay.

I am legally in the EU on a British passport, guess what, legally I cannot be touched, I will get a residence permit - big deal.

Uncertainty is what people didn't want - we don't know what will happen, but just know this:

it may end up being worse out economically
it may end up being better out economically
no matter what, it won't be an absolute disaster to any nation or economy on the whole.

Individuals may be hurt (I will be in a worse position because of this), but whatever, life goes on, brexit isn't that big of a deal unless you were planning on moving to UK from EU under the free movement of people. if you're skilled and in demand, UK work permit is easy to get.

so what do you think of this.... as the free moment of people still applies for two years, are we likely to get a proper flood of immigration as a result? Who knows. Immigration is a net gain in the long term but obviously adding a million people to London population in two years would provide some challenges with infrastructure....

murd0c 06-24-2016 08:04 AM

http://i.imgur.com/FisrLzs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CQq8nGZ.jpg

4444 06-24-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8766495)
i was waiting for 4444 to post his thoughts on the situation, was not disappointed.

What are you saying?