REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   Pixel by Google (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710538-pixel-google.html)

bobola 10-04-2016 11:31 AM

Pixel by Google

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone

32gb
Pixel - $899 5
Pixel XL - $1049 5.5"

Looks like google finally getting rid of their "affordable" Nexus brand and heading into their premium Pixel brand.

EDIT:

Link to specs :
http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel-8346.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-8345.php

twitchyzero 10-04-2016 11:53 AM

$900 for a Nexus phone

:lawl:

HTC just went full retard...never go full retard

i like the looks of the daydream VR holder though

twitchyzero 10-04-2016 12:05 PM

I thought may be departing the Nexus brand means a return to microSD support...nope
not even waterproof either

Traum 10-04-2016 12:07 PM

I miss the days when my Nexus 3 was a mere $300.

unit 10-04-2016 12:07 PM

i'm keeping my nexus 5x till it literally doesn't work anymore.

MarkyMark 10-04-2016 12:13 PM

They really missed the mark on the design of the phone. I don't understand the huge bezels especially with no stereo speakers and the fingerprint reader on the back. It's like they wanted the front to look like an iPhone just for the sake of looking like it.

You don't just come out with your own phone and start charging Apple prices for it. With it only coming to Verizon in the states you can assure that it'll be another niche phone that doesn't sell very well.

Spoon 10-04-2016 12:37 PM

Guess I'm grabbing a 5x when my N5 goes kaput. The differences between phones nowadays are negligible. I could care less about getting the latest and greatest. ResidentSleeper

Traum 10-04-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8792795)
Guess I'm grabbing a 5x when my N5 goes kaput. The differences between phones nowadays are negligible. I could care less about getting the latest and greatest. ResidentSleeper

Not sure if I could really agree to that. With each successive Android patch / OS upgrade, it feels like my phone is getting a touch slower every time.

jlo mein 10-04-2016 12:48 PM

Was waiting out my 30 day return period for my ZTE Axon 7 to hear about the Pixel. Looks like I'm keeping the Axon 7.

Pixel seems like a decent phone but it's price structure seems out of this world. Comparing the Pixel XL to the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7, it has the better camera and new SD 821, but at $370US more, it's almost double the $400 price of the OP3/Axon7. ($470US more for the 128GB Pixel XL) Isn't the Samsung Note 7 now cheaper than the Pixel XL?

Cost aside, I was even hoping for a larger Pixel than 5.5". Doesn't seem like there's many flagship spec QHD display phones larger than 5.8". Is the Huawei Honor Note 8 the only one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8792795)

You're so right. I got my Axon 7 to replace my broken Nexus 5. The Axon 7 stock has minimal bloat, yet isn't any more snappy or fast compared to my Nexus 5 other than 3D gaming.

Armind 10-04-2016 12:49 PM

:inout:

I am disappoint.

twitchyzero 10-04-2016 12:57 PM

a lot of recent HTC device just looks like iPhone so can't say it's surprising

70% screen to body ratio is pretty standard...but yeah why not throw in stereo speaker...it adds like what, $3 to the BoM?

edit: How important is fast charging for you guys? 15min charge probably destroys longevity. Wireless charging > quick charging for me.

radioman 10-04-2016 02:12 PM

They have removed the 5x/6p from the playstore and the rep on google said they are no longer offering them on the site. I was about to buy a 5x this morning but waited to see the pixel pricing.

Also I checked my rogers upgrade status and the rep said I could upgrade to the pixel for $199 but I know my plan wont allow it but she said I could so lets see what happens when I go pick it up in a few weeks :D

ZN6 10-04-2016 02:44 PM

"3.5mm headphone jack satisfyingly not new" Take that apple. Phone looks appealing.

Razor Ramon HG 10-04-2016 03:17 PM

Huawei should've made this year's Nexus as well, but reports said that Google wanted Huawei to make the hardware without any branding at all.

HTC wanted to do it instead (because they're shit and will do anything for money at this point) and now we have a $1000 Nexus device.

The brand is just not big enough to warrant such a high price tag.

Akinari 10-04-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8792824)
"3.5mm headphone jack satisfyingly not new" Take that apple. Phone looks appealing.

They didn't have courage.

:lawl:

Ch28 10-04-2016 03:21 PM

Selling a Civic for the price of a Mercedes

vitaminG 10-04-2016 03:24 PM

I'm glad that google finally making a true flagship. But they missing features I expect at that price, no wireless charging, no waterproof, no SD. 128gb is $100 more than a note 7, and note 7 will probably have some nice promotions when back in sale.

Unless this camera blows everything out of the water or they offer some amazing promos then I'm pretty disappointed

Traum 10-04-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8792835)
Selling a Civic for the price of a Mercedes

And we were just discussing how much the upcoming Civic Si and CTR would sell for...

way2quik 10-04-2016 03:47 PM

The few things I enjoyed when having a Nexus (Google) phone was the enormous support of the xda community. I must've spent hours flashing numerous roms and kernels.

I'm curious to see how many developers and supporting members are willing to shell out $1k each for a Google phone.

I have to say, I was expecting more out of the pricing than just a spec bump. Unlimited photo normal resolution storage? Please!!

Expresso 10-04-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8792790)
They really missed the mark on the design of the phone. I don't understand the huge bezels especially with no stereo speakers and the fingerprint reader on the back. It's like they wanted the front to look like an iPhone just for the sake of looking like it.

You don't just come out with your own phone and start charging Apple prices for it. With it only coming to Verizon in the states you can assure that it'll be another niche phone that doesn't sell very well.

I'm not in love with this phone, but the fingerprint sensor on the back actually is great once you get used to it.

And Verizon is like what Top 1 or 2 provider in the States, its not a bad move.

Tim Budong 10-04-2016 06:42 PM

.....hahahahha

google slapped the nexus supports in the face.
not like i can't load the pixel launcher to my phone.. which i wont, because Nova Launcher is KING

google assistant would be nice... if you have ever tried using Now on Tap, its pretty good

but if Google Assistant is gonna be exclusive to pixel for the time being, im gonna be pissed

now we wait for them to bring 7.1 to my 6p...
support ends for the nexus 6p and 5x in 2017 :(

Hehe 10-04-2016 07:26 PM

I think phone nowadays won't leap-forward in any way. No exciting functions or more precisely, no people with vision like Jobs to see functions that would actually make a difference in user experience.

But pricing-wise, it's not over the top either. It has flagship price with flagship specs. And it's Google after all, this is actually the first phone fully designed by Google. HTC is merely an OEM so they really have little say in both pricing and specs.

Plus, if you pre-order now, you get the Daydream View for free (U$79, I am guessing $109 in CAN stores?). So, the price for the combo is not too bad.

Nevertheless, I'm extremely excited about Google Home. Anyone else on the same boat? I pre-ordered it the moment it went live.

The thing I want to do with it is fairly simple. I want to be able to add stuff (notes, reminders, emails... etc) throughout the day without having to take my attention away from whatever I'm doing. Just "Ok, Google" and voila!

Tim Budong 10-04-2016 08:06 PM

That's pretty much the only standout for me in their presentation. Google Home

Now.. if I can go..hey JARVIS, it would be fucking awesome.

I can't afford a new phone right now anyways so no point being wtf google. I'm happy with my 6p

twitchyzero 10-04-2016 10:07 PM

i feel the price can be better justified if it had optical stabilization and memory card slot

BBMme 10-04-2016 10:28 PM

Just makes the BlackBerry dtek60 more appealing, but put myself on the wait list for a black XL 128gb anyway.