REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #251
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
always water proof even if you get something like that, its better to be safe than sorry and as Mike Holmes says "do it right" lol
Advertisement
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #252
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Water proofing is pretty straight forward, you can probably read an article or two and watch a YouTube video and get it right.

Thing with those panels is you have to stay on top of caulking any seams, expansion and contraction can open up any caulking and even a little water can cause mildew and mold issues.

Have you looked much into those pre-made entire enclosures? Might only eliminate one more step but could be worth it.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #253
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

there will still be joints and chance for leaks

a shower is the last thing i'd cheap out on
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #254
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
There's joints in everything, I'm just trying to minimize the number of them. I watched the install video and there's some nice overlap of the pieces which is good, and you double silicon the joints. Good call on waterproofing it anyways, as long as what I use is fairly thin it'll be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Have you looked much into those pre-made entire enclosures? Might only eliminate one more step but could be worth it.
I did, but they can't fit through doorways and I don't really want to have to disassemble two door frames to get it in. In the other bathroom the plan is to have a tub and a one piece surround, that way there's only one seam.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #255
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Did some stairs work myself last few weeks.

Made a new frame to do a wrap around on my lower stairs so I don't have to add a handrail on the side.
I thought it'd be easy and would take me 2-3 evening..
ends up taking me a whole week of evening work (8pm-12pm) to do it

And finally fitted all my handrail on top of the glass railing.
This turns out much easier and quicker than I thought tho. Only took half sunday afternoon to cut and fit the handrail. (And I had to do some highschool geometry math because I had to connect some 2"x1.75" handrail with 2"x2" handrail)

Drilling the screw and plugging the holes took me another day tho. (Had to be very careful not drill pass the handrail or the glass panel)
Honestly didn't do the best job with all the holes and plug, but it is good enough lol

Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #256

I am not too familiar with the shower proofing stuffs, but when my guys did the shower he used the old- school mud/mortar bed with membrane to do the base. Basically even if the tiles leak (or even if there is no tile at all) the base will catch the water and drain it away.

The base membrane also go up about 6"? from the floor, and the wall is lay over the membrane. So again even if the wall/tiles leaks, the water will runs down to the base membrane and drains away.
So no water ever touch the wooden frame.

I thought tiles grout are generally not not water proof anyway. So the shower floor & wall should be water proof even without any tiles on it.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #257

The more I think about this the more I'm questioning waterproofing behind the shower pan and wall panels. The drain for the shower is sealed to the pan, so where is water going to go if it does get through? Isn't it just going to pool under the pan until it reaches a level where it starts leaking out somewhere else?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The more I think about this the more I'm questioning waterproofing behind the shower pan and wall panels. The drain for the shower is sealed to the pan, so where is water going to go if it does get through? Isn't it just going to pool under the pan until it reaches a level where it starts leaking out somewhere else?
I think most drains has holes at the base that also drain away the excess water.
vid at 6:45 explains it

Those are basically the system I used in my shower base and wall behidn the tiles.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #259

100% complete now, last set of pics

This house is over 100 years old and in a lot of my work I always leave little bits of the old house in, all the interior doors have been here, maybe forever, so I don’t paint the hinges so you can kinda see the layers of paint and the design

Unbelievably happy with the final result and the shower is insane, love it.

Stairs look killer Ferra, really great
Old 11-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
100% complete now, last set of pics
This house is over 100 years old and in a lot of my work I always leave little bits of the old house in, all the interior doors have been here, maybe forever, so I don’t paint the hinges so you can kinda see the layers of paint and the design

Unbelievably happy with the final result and the shower is insane, love it.

Stairs look killer Ferra, really great
congrats on finishing ur bathroom, looks like it didn't take you that long too

the bathroom reno was by far the most painful reno I've done.
(compare to the floor, stairs, kitchen, etc)
Everything is just so dirty, messy, the whole job took so long and expensive
The cost of doing my ensuite ends up costing me more than the kitchen or the wood flooring for the whole house.
And I was trying to do it on the cheap side. (did lots of the demolition myself, reused the original tub, used ikea cabinets and installed all the vanity, toilets, faucets myself)
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #261
In RS I Trust

My bathroom is almost finished as well, just put the toilet in yesterday.

also replaced the insulation and old wood paneling in the family room.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #262

TV backing but no hole for hdmi ethernnet etc.?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #263
In RS I Trust

nope, not going to be running it through the walls. I'm not technical like that. Also we might move the tv in the future when we resurface the fireplace.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #264

Do low voltage (5-12VDC) LED lights need to be UL/CSA/etc approved to be installed in a home? I want to do undercabinet lighting in the bathrooms triggered by motion sensors, I assume the transformer plugged into the 120 would have to be but I'm hoping to be able to DIY the rest of it instead of having to buy an overpriced kit.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: