REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
https://imgur.com/gallery/mVm0J

on reddit today... ikea cabinets
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #52
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
at least the owner seems like he's smart enough to know the correct procedure but man talk about a total bitch. I'm kinda tempted to put plywood up instead of drywall since the walls are bare and that would completely make sure that would ever happen no matter where they hang them.

Quote:
Just gonna answer some questions that people have.
My boyfriend owns the apartment, it is in a co-op. We hired a licensed contractor to come in and do all of the work (complete gut renovation), and the contractor's insurance was approved by the co op before he could come in and do anything. We live in an older building that is entirely concrete, the walls are made of metal lath and plaster and no studs. Some (like this wall) were replaced by our contractor and are drywall. It IS possible to anchor heavy objects with certain anchor bolts, but obviously he did not use the right ones. He did not advise us to change the construction of the walls,we weren't even living in the apartment at the time of the renovation. Everything was finished about 5 months ago.
We're currently seeking legal advice before we move forward.
Oh, and yes, I'm physically fine, just minor cuts and bruises.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #53
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^thats what they do at the ikea demo kitchens. Plywood and drywall and lots of GRK screws.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #54
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Any companies you would recommend for excavating a crawl space?

The bottom floor of my house has the garage + crawl space. Looking to excavate probably 600 sq.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #55
In RS I Trust

I'm thinking of getting LED strip lighting for under my cabinets and I'm wondering if you guys can recommend them?

I found this site that seems pretty legit but I don't know anything about them at all and don't want to waste money on a cheap piece of shit.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lighting/1426/
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #56
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
5/8 ply behind your cabinets mounted on the studs you'd be laughing.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #57
In RS I Trust

I would have to go 1/2" since that's what my drywall is I'm not taking out.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #58

that LED kit looks pretty decent.. id say just get your electrician to run the wires everywhere you need then you'll pretty much be set for however you want to do it..

I'm not going to be doing my kitchen till the spring/summer so essentially ran home runs into the base cabinets and then leads up into the uppers so i can mount everything when the time comes.. bit more hassle but it should work out in the end
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm thinking of getting LED strip lighting for under my cabinets and I'm wondering if you guys can recommend them?

I found this site that seems pretty legit but I don't know anything about them at all and don't want to waste money on a cheap piece of shit.

I know a lot of people buy automotive LEDs from them, they're supposed to be quite good but a bit pricey. I'd buy a couple spares in case one burns out in the future, that way you're not having to try and hunt down a replacement that's the same colour.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #60
In RS I Trust

thankfully I don't need close to 16' so that roll should be way more then enough with lots of spare.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #61
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,766 Posts
I think SuperBrightLED's is pretty reputable as a retailer.
That kit though, looks like a basement home-build.
Lack of ULC (website only shows UL) might be an issue if you're getting your electrical work inspected...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #62
In RS I Trust

I'm going to install them after the electrical work is inspected but no question I would like to go with ULC just so I can cover my ass.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #63
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,766 Posts
I don't know your budget, but this legrand Undercabinet lighting, electrical outlet and accessory track system is pretty baller:

adorne® Under-Cabinet Lighting System | Legrand
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #64

lol that looks brutal to have to plug in the system to an outlet.. would drive me crazy.

also i really dont care for puck lights under cabinets unless they are completely recessed
Old 12-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
lol that looks brutal to have to plug in the system to an outlet.. would drive me crazy.

also i really dont care for puck lights under cabinets unless they are completely recessed
It makes it easier to control and replace though. Just add an outlet inside a cabinet, then have that outlet hooked to a switch.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #66

yea.. i guess.. never been a fan of that module type lighting/system i've seen it in a few different applications

i also dont really get how some people are do adament about hiding their counter plugs, i think just a standard wall plate on your backplash looks fine, and you dont need a valance etc. to hide a big bar under the uppers
Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #67

I would've loved to have added some of these, had I known about them before I did my kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Pulling-Table.../dp/B017QZQAOG
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/mVm0J

on reddit today... ikea cabinets
Reason why you DONT use drywall anchors for cabinets. Shoulda cut out the drywall in a long trench, added backing, place back the drywall. Wouldnt even bother to fill/putty since the cabinet would be coming it anyways lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post

I picked up LED strips for my company here and installed them in a clients kitchen(under the cabinets/lighting up the counter)
LED Lighting Wholesale Supplier | LED bulbs & fixtures

Not sure about the price though

Last edited by MelonBoy; 12-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #69
In RS I Trust

after taking a couple weeks off due to Christmas parties I was finally back at it this weekend, finally took out the bathroom vanity and started taking up the kitchen floor.. Fuck its a bitch since they used particle board and nailed it every 4" so talk about lots of fun dealing with that.

On a positive note my appliances showed up last week and I hooked up the range so I finally have a working oven for the first time since Aug.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #70
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I had to deal with the same shit under the lino in my kitchen. Since I wasn't replacing the cabinets, I scraped all the lino and paper off and gave it 2 coats of red guard, before laying tile. If we got new cabinets, I would've pulled the subfloor and replaced it with plywood.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #71
In RS I Trust

thankfully the subfloor is still ok otherwise I would of done that before anything else. I'm not laying tile in the kitchen going to run the same hardwood along the entire first floor of my house other then the bathroom of course.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #72

yea taking reno's on yourself is a fucking undertaking lol :/

i've always been into reno's and whatnot constant improvements on my home as my dad always has been (every room in our family home was either completely re-done or reno'ed within 3-5 year cycles) but after taking on our "new" 110 year old house, i think i'm done with major reno's outside of finishing if we were to ever move lol..

we sold our apartment and have a closing date of january 14th so now it's a push to get the house to a state where we can at least move in.. took on the last major 'structural' change this past weekend, opened up the wall which divides the kitchen and dining room, there will be a big island there with a slide in range when we eventually do the kitchen. Ran a vent for the hood fan as well as this house has always had a gas range but never any ventilation:

kind of hard to get the feel of the rooms from pics, but this is standing in the living room looking into the dining room/kitchen area, and the studs are the wall being removed:

Old 12-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #73
In RS I Trust

its always a massive project taking out walls, do you have to reinforce the beam since its looks like only two 2x4's are holding it up on the one side?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #74

the bearing on that side is fine, it's laminted to the existing stud which you cant really see behind the lathe, i also doubled up all the joists as well as blocked the shit out of the joists right below it in the basement

it's not a bearing wall, and there really wasnt much of, if any load on those existing studs so it's moreso just peice of mind

in a hundred year old house, your best friend is a 5 ton floor jack! lol..
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #75
In RS I Trust

Of course it being Christmas vacation I had to get more done since I want the cabinets installed the second or 3rd week of Jan.

Electrical is almost complete, inspection on Tuesday and then it will get finished off. We have about 10 plugs in the kitchen which will be perfect and needed.

Had a friend come over and helped me skim the ceiling and then put mud on it, he also helped move the far light closer and in line with the middle kitchen light (you can see how bad it was in a previous pic)

Really started in on the bathroom today, took out the inside wall since the electricians need to change the location of the fan switch which was next to the toilet (how fucken stupid) the floor is going to be horrible to remove which I'm so excited about...

Of course we found the particle board is rotten next to the tub, I'm so hoping the sub floor will be fine but we will be replacing the tub so it will be an easy fix if needed.