REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #201
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
That looks good!
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #202
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
thanks
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #203
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Dark grout is the way to go for anything that gets dirty. White grout looks like shit after a few months most of the time
Old 06-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #204
In RS I Trust

no question and white everything in the kitchen would be way too much so we want the dark grout to break things up. Going with antique white in the bathroom tho. Just picked up the Schluter membrane for the tub surround walls today, that with the aqua board with Schluter tape the surround is so going to be waterproof.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #205

Had a last minute change of plans, and decided I didn't want to do the pony wall square opening. Fortunately I decided that before putting the header in, so it didn't have to be redone.

Next on my "lets pull down the wallpaper" list is taking out the rounded corners in the dining room...but it's just too sunny outside.

So, figuring I'd enjoy some sunshine, I pulled my maple slab into the carport and started to work on the bottom side. The proper way to do this would be to lay the slab on a really large flat surface, and use a router and sled to flatten one side, and then the other. But, I'm not a fan of wood dust in the car shop...so screw that! Hand planer, belt sander with 40 and 80 grit, and then the random orbital from 40 through to 120.

Flipped over...and tomorrow I'll start on the topside. That one requires more careful work...
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #206
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Everything is just built to break these days
It's funny you say that because last month my washer died, lasted like 10 years. I had to buy a new washer/dryer unit and honestly I was surprised how expensive they are now. Talking to a couple co-workers and there like you got 10 years? They both said there last 2 sets lasted 5 years at best and they aren't buying cheap sets, $3,000 range........

All I could say was FML.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #207
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
^ a lot of people are killing front load washers by overloading them. The bearing wears out and the drum starts banging around. For some reason the bearings are sold as a unit with the drum, but if you can find a bearing that's the right size you can usually get the old one pressed out and a new one pressed in and be good to go.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #208

Friends of mine would like a new fridge for the updated look, asked another friend who does appliance repairs what the best fridge is these days. His reply? "the one already in your kitchen. Anything built earlier than five years ago is a much better unit"
Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #209
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
It's funny you say that because last month my washer died, lasted like 10 years. I had to buy a new washer/dryer unit and honestly I was surprised how expensive they are now. Talking to a couple co-workers and there like you got 10 years? They both said there last 2 sets lasted 5 years at best and they aren't buying cheap sets, $3,000 range........

All I could say was FML.
DIY fix it. I've fixed my washer twice now with $10 parts from the parts store. Googled the symptoms and found the how tos
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #210
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
DIY fix it. I've fixed my washer twice now with $10 parts from the parts store. Googled the symptoms and found the how tos
If you seen the closet my washer and dryer are shoved into you would not want to work on it yourself. Getting it in and out is such a bitch with 1/2" clearance on all 3 sides, I'll never even attempt to work on that thing.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #211
In RS I Trust

tub surround its close to tiled now and I have to say I like it, wasn't sure at first since the gf picked it out but it's really starting to grow on me.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #212
In RS I Trust

trying to finish up these projects have been a complete pain especially in this hot weather... Good thing I have this in my back yard too help de-stress and cool down

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #213
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Flipped over...and tomorrow I'll start on the topside. That one requires more careful work...
Damn that's a big slab of maple...

Probably too late for you, but if the slab is under 24", a lot of lumber yard offer planing service and will probably do it for you for $30. (Takes 10 min to run it thru a planer on both sides)

Some place have planer up to 50" too, but will cost you a lot more than $30

When I tried hand planing, I ended up spending half a day trying to sand the surface smooth...
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #214
In RS I Trust

That's a great idea taking it to a lumber yard, I would so love a live edge table in the future but talk about expensive brand new. I should so speak with my cousin to make one for me, he is a wood working teacher and can't build anything you can think of out of wood.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post

Probably too late for you, but if the slab is under 24", a lot of lumber yard offer planing service and will probably do it for you for $30. (Takes 10 min to run it thru a planer on both sides)

When I tried hand planing, I ended up spending half a day trying to sand the surface smooth...
You know, now that you say that...I really should have looked into it :P When I buy the slab for my dining room table, I'm definitely going to have it planed first.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 04:53 AM   #216
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
CNC is way easier, lol. the big slab of elm in the bottom two pics were super cheap because of the large split in it, but a liter of epoxy and a few bow ties, it came pretty good.

Edit: pics removed

Last edited by N.V.M.; 10-13-2017 at 11:21 AM.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #217
In RS I Trust

range hood is mostly installed now, still have to clean up and seal the grout but happy this is finally completed. Missing the SS screws for the top of the hood so of course that space will be closed flush against the ceiling

This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #218
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post

Any places you can suggest? Preferably, East of Vancouver. Thanks!

Edit: slab is 22-1/2" at its widest

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 10-04-2017 at 08:53 AM.
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #219
In RS I Trust

Haven't been doing much the last bit but still coming along, Bathroom still aint done but we just have to finish mudding and then prime and paint and no clue how to get in the ceiling fan. Decided to put pot lights in the rec room and going to be drywalling that in the next couple of weeks.

Big thing is Tuesday we are getting all new windows, Front door and fresh doors instead of a sliding door in the rear. Can't wait to get rid of the 40 year old single pane windows you can hear everything through.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #220
In RS I Trust

New doors and windows and I can't be happier, Centra was beyond awesome and top notch quality as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #221

Have any of you used vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom? The wife is convinced it's watertight with the sealant it comes with but I'm not so sure.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #222
In RS I Trust

If you are going that route still use the schluter ditra matt just on the safe side, it's better off going over kill now rather then regretting it later.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #223
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Had to go install my own work . Nice day up in the Properties.

Last edited by N.V.M.; 11-13-2022 at 01:18 PM.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ a lot of people are killing front load washers by overloading them. The bearing wears out and the drum starts banging around. For some reason the bearings are sold as a unit with the drum, but if you can find a bearing that's the right size you can usually get the old one pressed out and a new one pressed in and be good to go.
An update on this, I learned that it can be very cheap and very easy to find the right bearings and swap them out if you've got some basic tools and space. However all that is for nothing if regular cleaning cycles haven't been run on the washer, as the aluminum "spider" on the back of the drum will corrode away and start cracking. Even if it's removable you likely can't get a replacement. Mine had one small crack from the top that didn't look too bad, but luckily I decided to remove it and flip it over to clean the underside as that side is covered in huge cracks and big chunks of material are missing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #225
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Any places you can suggest? Preferably, East of Vancouver. Thanks!

Edit: slab is 22-1/2" at its widest
Sorry not in Vancouver, i know a few places if u are in toronto tho
Search and call up some lumber yard near you on google. Most will have planning services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Have any of you used vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom? The wife is convinced it's watertight with the sealant it comes with but I'm not so sure.
Outside of the shower area, and if you are not soaking wet they should be fine.
Vinyl plank are waterproof but not watertight. I.e. water will seep thru the very tiny seam between the plank, but very minuscule amount unless the whole floor is flooded.

Better yet, just put it on top of your existing tile floor. Most vinyl planks are thin enough it wont' create any clearance problem. You can probably install the vinyl in a few hours, and easily take them off incase you don't like them anymore or any problems come up.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: